Trying to import overworld snow tileset from fe6

JuneoftheMearkat

Hello! I had been making good progress on a demo for my fe7 hack, but I've hit a roadblock and was wondering if there was any advice on how I can proceed with debugging this issue. I'm trying to import the overworld snow tileset from fe6 to fe7. I copied the data from the offsets for object, palette, and config over (I'm providing the offset hex values if that will help) and tried setting the chapter data dropdowns for chapter 1. I tried both editing the dropdowns with new pointers to the data (directly editing the .txt nightmare file) and repointing old ones (dragon's gate) and neither worked.

I'm thinking maybe I'm copying the wrong data or missing something. I'm also wondering whether the fact that that tileset has two animation sets (frozen river #1 and frozen #2, which I don't plan to use right now) is a problem. I tried importing without the animations and turning them off, but I don't know if it even can work without them.

When I load up the game after repointing the data for the map I made, the game goes black. I know it's not my event file, since I tested it without the new map and it worked fine. I've checked if I overwrote any data multiple times with several different backups and reinserting everything didn't change anything.

The offsets of data from FE6 I copied were:

Object Set- 1FEDB4 to 204418

Palette- 23BD00 to 23BE40

Config- 22F8D8 to 230F0C

I pasted into free space at offsets:

Object Set- DD0000

Palette- DD57C0

Config- DD5910

I increased the index of the dropdowns too, but I did try just repointing an old tileset to test, so that can't be the problem I don't think. Thank you for any advice in advance! If providing pictures would be of use, I will post those as well.

If you're worried you're grabbing the wrong data, there's some pre-ripped tilesets available on FEU.

Try the Snowy Overworld set from there and see if you get different results.

If you're still having problems, it would help to list the steps you're taking when you export and import.

Thanks for the reply! I used the ripped data and it looked different than what I used before, so it might have been partially that, but the game still freezes upon loading.

Steps I took for making map:

-Imported Overworld snow tileset as .bmp file into mapwin

-Made map (tiles are 16x16 pixels, map size is 15x15 tiles)

-Exported as .MAR file (checked off "Map Array" and "Current Layer as Big Picture")

-Opened MAR array inserter, inserted map at DA0230 (right after where my last map ends)

This is the map:

Chapter%201%20Map%20V2scrn_zpszisumhoy.p

Steps for copying data:

-Open HxD

-Goto free space at DD0000

-Open ripped data files for Overworld Snow

-Copy then "paste write" (not paste insert) Object set to DD0000

-Palette to DD5670

-Config to DD57C0

*Note that all of these offsets are where the data starts in hex, not ends, and should all be dividable by 4

Steps for repointing in Nightmare:

-Open Rom in Nightmare

-Open FE7 Event References

-Go to "Chapter 1 map", repoint to new map at DA0230

-Go to "Chapter 1 events", repoint to new events at D60450 (the line after my prologue event file ends)

-Go to "Dragon's Gate", repoint to Overworld Snow object set at DD0000

-Go to "Dragon's Gate Palette" repoint to Overworld Snow palette at DD5670

-Go to "Dragon's Gate Config" repoint to Overworld Snow config at DD57C0

-Open Chapter Data Editor

-Go to Chapter 1 in dropdown

-Change Object Set 1 to "Dragon's Gate"

-Change Palette to "Dragon's Gate"

-Change Config to "Dragon's Gate"

-Change Tile Animations to "None"

Event assembler file uses event reference pointer 0x09 (Chapter 1 Events)

I double checked to make sure I didn't overwrite any other data. I'm going to try again with a clean backup to see if I messed up somewhere.

[Edit: I realized I had copied the data wrong the first time, my bad. I changed the offsets after re-copying and it still won't work :(.]

Edited by JuneoftheMearkat

Okay so I may have just spent a day or two on an issue that had to do with the "free space" I was using all along X_X. I tried it on a completely clean rom with the new tileset file (made a dummy map like you suggested) and pasted the data starting at offset D00000 instead of DD0000 and it worked (my old map that I made with the .BMP file worked too). I guess DD0000 and beyond has some kind of necessary data in it (or is bugged in my rom), I'd actually like insight on why that would be. Also tried it on a backup and it also worked, so awesome!

Regardless of that though, thanks for the help and resource links! I'll remember from now on to use the new tileset files when making maps for reliability.