Plot hole I found

So. Grado has just invaded Renais and left it to rot. Deussel doesn't like this, so basically says " if this invasion helped Grado in any way I would support it, but I can't see how it does."

So why doesn't Lyon tell him that they need to invade Magvel to collect the Sacred Stones to stop half of Grado from falling into the ocean?

Seriously, he could have done that then and there with no problem, and not lost a good general. It's established that Lyon is sympathetic and Formotiis is making him think he's in control, so why didn't he do it? Overall an unfortunate blemish on an otherwise great story. Or am I missing something?

I'm banking on "we can't cause mass panic over half our country just up and falling apart because the people would go crazy" so he figured it to be best for this not to happen.

They have also been destroying the sacred stones and Duessel knows this, so telling them that they are collecting them for their power would be a blatant lie.

There's also always the diplomatic approach that would have been much more fitting to what Grado was before the invasion.gather with a few other countries, establish that a catastrophe is coming to Grado and ask for the help of the scholars of the other kingdoms.

At least that's what I think.

Duessel would probably be smart enough to see that Grado wouldn't be well served with a revived demon king either. It doesn't matter if the earthquake is stopped when you get a demonic overlord in return. Grado would fall either way.

There is very little that would make Lyon being in control very believable. From the flashbacks its made clear that Lyon is sickly and meek. Duessel is a smart man who probably knows Lyon personally so he might see through the act.

Even given those possible outcomes it still would've behooved Lyon/Formy to try to keep Duessel. Maybe it slipped his mind or maybe he was arrogant and didn't think Duessel defecting would make a difference. I don't know; fact of the matter is the game never addresses it, so I'm going to go with my crack theory of the second: Lyon knew deep down somewhere that this was all suicidal, but was too far gone to pull back, and truly respected and cared for Duessel so he wanted him to defect so Duessel would be spared from hopefully some of the hardship. Because what good is a liberal arts degree if you can't read too much into stuff?

Isn't it stated that Fomortiis is tricking Lyon into thinking he's in control? Because if that's true then your whole theory falls kinda flat. There's also the fact that Duessel doesn't seem to know Lyon that well. He serves the king, yes, but Lyon being a mage and all makes it a little difficult for Duessel to have any contact with him (I think), since he doesn't seem to really have to teach him much (like he does with Ephraim.)

So why doesn't Lyon tell him that they need to invade Magvel to collect the Sacred Stones to stop half of Grado from falling into the ocean?

Because, at first, Vigarde commanded Lyon not to (a command that was only reinforced when he told Lyon that he couldn't depend on his friends for help). And Knoll was always closer to Lyon than Duessel was anyway.

http://serenesforest.net/the-sacred-stones/scripts/game-script/ephraim/chapter-20b-darkling-woods/

Lyon:

“None but the mages and I know of the vision, as you ordered."

Vigarde:

“You would ask Renais to rescue us from… a natural disaster? They would not help us… (...) Lyon… You are the one… who must… save our people."

Edited by Paper Jam

There is very little that would make Lyon being in control very believable. From the flashbacks its made clear that Lyon is sickly and meek. Duessel is a smart man who probably knows Lyon personally so he might see through the act.

This is a problem I have with Ephraim's Story as well. And a reason why I prefer Eirika's Story's version of Lyon. We're pretty much given no reason to believe that he genuinely believes that he's in control on Fomortiis, despite mentions otherwise in Ephraim's Story.