henrymidfield's charcoal drawings - Current Project: Nintendo Heroines

henrymidfields

Which character do you want to see next?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Options

• Mia (Golden Sun)
    • Sheba (Golden Sun: Lost Age)
    • Solana (Pokémon)
    • Lyra (Pokemon DP Anime)
    • Dawn (Pokemon DP Anime)
    • Iris (Pokemon BW Anime)
    • Hilda (Pokemon BW Games)
    • Elincia (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance)
    • Micaiah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
    • Eirika (Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones)
    • Nanna (Fire Emblem: Thracia 776)
    • Celica (Fire Emblem: Gaiden/Echoes)
    • Lucy Liberty (F-Zero: Falcon Legend Anime)
    • Jane B Christie (F-Zero: Maximum Velocity)
    • Marin (Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening)
    • Linkle (Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors)

*Erik Satie's Je te veux starts playing...*

So, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Le Corbusier's masterpiece, the National Museum of Western Art, home to the best impressionistic artwork collection in one of the few green oasis of Yamabuki City, that is the Ueno Park. I am now proud to say that the building has been included in UNESCO's World Heritage Listing as part of the Kalosian architect's masterpiece collection. I too, now have the honour of my works being exhibited in this prestigious museum...

*record needle scratch!* Just kidding. I wish I was that good. But I have been doing pencil sketches throughout the past couple of years. I've got a bit of a collection that I am hoping to update (bi)weekly. Keep in mind, that they are not limited to Fire Emblem - there are sketchings from real life stuff, while others are from Pokémon. (They will be uploaded to, and linked to, imgur.)

Also, I will be uploading the same stuff onto bulbagarden, the other site I am a member of, so please do not be alarmed when you happen to see the same stuff over there. (I am still henrymidfields over there too.)

Gallery - 19 Nov 2016

Spoiler

In fact, this week is stuff I've drawn from real life, and an practice study of Camilla's (FE Fates) official portrait...

A ponytail of a girl sitting in front of me during Sunday evening sermon

Spoiler

sjvUmdw.jpg

One of the bible preachers on Sunday evening

Spoiler

EkLebkO.jpg

An Asian guy at another table

Spoiler

TdQ965B.jpg

A curry bowl and a set of table equipments

Spoiler

7JxglC7.jpg

Practice sketch on Camilla (FE Fates)

Spoiler

WZw9ZqQ.jpg

Nintendo Heroines EDIT (4 June 2017):
I have also started up a series of studies on official artwork on Nintendo heroines - mainly female protagonists and important characters that I have loved (or at worst, not majorly dislike) throughout the ages. While I will look for examples from various franchises that Nintendo published (including some obscure ones) emphasis will be given to female characters from Pokémon and Fire Emblem. In particular to the latter, I am going to make a conscious effort to publicize all the games throughout its history, and not just Awakening and Fates. I have got a couple started already, in fact. All in the name of recognition and celebration of the female characters that are not considered the standard fare (Peach/Samus/Zelda...though the last one I've already bent the rules for this...).

Edited by henrymidfields

Gallery - 27 Nov 2016
Hi, I am back for another week. I've went through a couple of old sketches that I've done over the past couple of years, and I shall upload them as well. Firstly, stuff I have done the past week.

FE Lilina as Pokémon Dawn

Spoiler

rWBK76I.jpg

This was an attempt in dressing up Lilina (from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade) being dressed up in Dawn's (from DPPt) clothes. The attempted crossover ended up being not as apparent as I have hoped, due to similar facial appearances of both characters. Just for reference, the official character artworks for both are:
Lilina: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net.../Lilina.png/revision/latest?cb=20160614032742
Dawn: http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/6/6f/Platinum_Dawn.png/250px-Platinum_Dawn.png

A study of girl's hair

Spoiler

sdUui29.jpg

Again at my regular church sermon, I took the time to study the expression of a girl sitting in a row front of me. It is quite difficult in expression the lusturous, flaxen nature of the blonde hair.

A Bar in Sydney

Spoiler

NLyKeUR.jpg

This was over at a bar counter in a Sydney pub. The actual counter is much longer than this - it looks like I messed up with the perspective of this one.

FE Fates Leo

Spoiler

V3NO4gH.jpg

A practice sketch of Leo's official portrait. This one seems to be alright for a first try done in 15 minutes. Of course, it is not easy to get the original feeling of the official artwork. For reference, the official artwork is: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/6/66/Leo_portrait.png/revision/latest?cb=20150620081341

FE Fates Xander

Spoiler

3jfuBKT.jpg

After practicing on Xander's portrait, I have found a new appreciation of the actual artist's artworks. I find it very easy to over-emphasise particular features of a character. My attempt above resulted in a somewhat of a caricature of Xander with his face somewhat elongated (and looking like Virion!?), where the official artwork of him has a better proportion of the face. For reference:
Xander (official artwork): http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/4/42/Xander_portrait.png/revision/latest?cb=20160903122803

FE Fates Azura

Spoiler

uYIHK7s.jpg

Not a huge fan for this outcome. The original artwork shows her serenity, yet also her firm posture. Here, she looks much more fragile, perhaps not helped by her dead eyes. For reference, the official artwork is: http://i1.ruliweb.com/img/5/5/9/0/5590BCA04722D70024

Past Works:

I've drawn Pokémon stuff over the past 3-4 years back when XY was new. They are also pencil sketches that I've kept for years. Here are four such Pokémon that I will publish.

Yveltal - Pokémon XY

Spoiler

HBBIE9L.jpg

Fennekin - Pokémon XY

Spoiler

WPn6nCO.jpg

Oshawott - Pokémon BW

Spoiler

6DyDoGq.jpg

Froakie - Pokémon XY

Spoiler

HCRkm7e.jpg

Edited by henrymidfields

• 2 weeks later...

Gallery: 3-4 Dec 2016

Apologies for the delay - I have been sick for the last several days. As such, I don't have as many entries that I did for this week, but here goes. Firstly, a perspective drawing of a truck, and a practice of the official artwork of Shigure (FE Fates).

A pick-up truck at Kings Cross, Sydney

Spoiler

ZVVUQYi.jpg

Shigure - FE Fates

Spoiler

iNewJhx.jpg

This has gone better than my previous runs. While my drawing of Azura in the previous week looked like a frail woman, here, Shigure here looks more confident. It seems that a bigger-sized portrait is generally better for more expression in the drawing.

Official artwork: http://ami.animecharactersdatabase.com/uploads/chars/29292-256871546.png

Past Works

As I've mentioned in my previous update, I've drawn Pokémon stuff over the past 3-4 years back when XY was new. Here are some more sketches I've done during that time.

Hilda - Pokémon BW

Spoiler

P05bls5.jpg

Shadao (at Bulbagarden) in response to my previous update has rightly pointed out that the hands that I've drawn for Pkmn!Lilina last week was too small. As I had a glance at Hilda again, one of her hand is similarly undersized; it looks like hand figures are something that I will need to further study.

[spoiler=Rosa (Pkmn BW2)]936UYNI.jpg

One of my less successful attempts in drawing Rosa from BW2. I'll have to uploade another archived drawing of her and ask everyone to compare.

[spoiler=various starter Pokémon]

f63q2pA.jpg

[spoiler=In memory of a hilarious scene (AG034)]Ui3Tx9D.jpg

There was one morning in which my high school friends and I watched the Pokémon Anime in 2004. It happened to be AG034, with Ash and Max's babysitting an unruly not-yet-trainer-owned Torchic going awry. It then evolved into Combusken, and Ash and Max had to brainstorm a way to get out of the situation. Max proposed to do the old switcheroo and lie to May about "her" Torchic evolving. The result? One of the scenes that still gives me laughs to this day. The sketch above has slightly different expressions for Ash and Max, however - they have a more "Oh crap! That so did not fool her!" kind of feel. The original (link below) has them in a more shocked state.

Original scene: http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/9/9d/AG034.png

Next update: Weekend of 10-11 December

Edited by henrymidfields

There's some very interesting stuff in this thread, and I've spent a lot ot time thinking of what I could say about it. I hope you won't mind if I'm a bit critical of your pieces, but I hope I can offer some good advice. There are two main issues that I see persisting throughout your pieces.

The first is your proportions. It becomes especially noticable with your anatomy and Pokemon drawings. For example, in the Yveltal picture the tail looks far too long in comparison the offical art (which I'm assuming you were using for reference). The end result is that the picture looks distorted and lanky. If you're using a reference, then take your time to size things up properly. Take note of the negative spaces, and use those shapes as guides.

The second thing is that I see a lot of wobbly lines. I think this might be caused either by pressing too hard with your pencil, or by drawing too much from the wrist, and not using elbow and arm enough when drawing longer strokes.

Also, on the subject of hair, I feel it's more efficient and effective to draw hair as blocks of value rather than trying to draw lots of strands. Those strands end up looking wiry and limp, and generally not like hair at all. If you block out the hair and fill it with values I think it's easier to control the tone, creating highlights, and giving the impression of volume.

My apologies if this was too rambly.

Gallery: 10-11 Dec 2016

I don't have as many entries that I did for this week either, but here goes.

[spoiler=A caricature of Benito Mussolini from a WWII poster]swOB8UO.jpg

Official artwork: http://image0-rubylane.s3.amazonaws.com/shops/rachelsattic/13PC00611.1L.jpg

[spoiler=Some more scribbles]meiDyg2.jpg

Works from the past:

As I've mentioned in my previous update, I've drawn Pokémon stuff over the past 3-4 years back when XY was new. Here are some more sketches I've done during that time.

[spoiler=Rosa and Calem]FNm7B4H.jpg

On one hand, the hands don't look as out of proportion as before. On the other hand, Rosa's waist looks too thin, and she looks a bit too tall.

For reference to the official artworks:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120616212602/pokemon/images/b/bf/White2.png (Rosa)

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/4/48/XY_Calem.png/150px-XY_Calem.png (Calem)

[spoiler=Rosa again (Pkmn BW2)]RjWYQv5.jpg

Her battle pose used in the Champion battle in BW2.

Reference: http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/d/dc/RosaChallenge2.png

[spoiler=Red and Leaf (Pkmn FRLG)]e5Fzjp7.jpg

Next update: Weekend of 17-18 December

Edited by henrymidfields

@Shuuda: Apologies for not replying sooner, and thank you for replying!

The first is your proportions. It becomes especially noticable with your anatomy and Pokemon drawings. For example, in the Yveltal picture the tail looks far too long in comparison the offical art (which I'm assuming you were using for reference). The end result is that the picture looks distorted and lanky. If you're using a reference, then take your time to size things up properly. Take note of the negative spaces, and use those shapes as guides.

Would it help if I print out the original artwork, overlay a 3cm or 4cm square grid, and work off that? My paper size is A5.

The second thing is that I see a lot of wobbly lines. I think this might be caused either by pressing too hard with your pencil, or by drawing too much from the wrist, and not using elbow and arm enough when drawing longer strokes.

Are the wobbly lines more a problem with my more recent stuff, or my past archives? Almost all of my past stuff are done when I did long commutes on the train, so that may explain it. On the other hand, would it help if I get stuff like 2B, 4B and the like? I use solely HB.

Also, on the subject of hair, I feel it's more efficient and effective to draw hair as blocks of value rather than trying to draw lots of strands. Those strands end up looking wiry and limp, and generally not like hair at all. If you block out the hair and fill it with values I think it's easier to control the tone, creating highlights, and giving the impression of volume.

I've done a candid portrait with the above method - I shall see how that goes when I do my next upload this weekend. Edited by henrymidfields

Would it help if I print out the original artwork, overlay a 3cm or 4cm square grid, and work off that? My paper size is A5.

That could certainly help. What I personally found useful was to bring a reference image into an art program, and break down the anatomy into a bunch of simple shapes. I feel understanding proportions is easier when it's a case of "two circles, but this one's about half the size of the other".

Are the wobbly lines more a problem with my more recent stuff, or my past archives? Almost all of my past stuff are done when I did long commutes on the train, so that may explain it. On the other hand, would it help if I get stuff like 2B, 4B and the like? I use solely HB.

It feels like more of a problem in your older stuff, but It's still present in your more recent stuff. Something else that might help is to draw with a lighter touch, and use flicks instead of trying to drag the pencil for each stroke.

I'd certainly recommend getting a pencil set. I think you should be looking to get at least a 2B, 4B and a 6B. Personally I find a 2B nice for early sketching since it's easy to erase. Higher black values are useful shading since you can produce a wider range of tones.

@Shuuda: All right, I'll try a pencil set once I am done with my Christmas shopping for my family.

Gallery: 17-18 Dec 2016

I don't have as many entries that I did for this week either, but here goes.

Singer at the Altar

Spoiler

tl4Swh0.jpg

Shuuda advised me to use values for portraying hair, so I gave that a try here.

A drink in a bar

Spoiler

EJwqSgx.jpg

Past works - Brains and Brawns Trainer duo - Pokémon XY

Spoiler

17jXfx3.jpg

"Wow, his drawing is over 9000, lol."

Next update: Probably not until January.

I will be busy spending time with my family, so my next update would not be until I'm back at my home, probably in mid-January. Have a Merry Christmas, everyone!

Edited by henrymidfields

• 4 weeks later...

Gallery: 14-15 Jan 2016

I am back, and I have quite a few entries to show for this week. In fact I have two from Fire Emblem and one from Earthbound! I also started to use a set of charcoal pencils an old friend gifted to me, and they seem to be working well.

Elise - FE Fates

Spoiler

zT3zJFA.jpg

I actually copied and imposed a grid on the official artwork for this time. That actually helped me proportion things better - which @Shuuda pointed that issue out for my earlier entries. Now my Elise actually looks like the official one, and not like the disaster that happened with Azura or Xander a couple of entries back.

Lilina - FE Binding Blade

Spoiler

j4yD85Z.jpg

As with Elise, Lilina also came better than my previous portraits.

Paula - Earthbound

Spoiler

r4eeAcQ.jpg

After doing Elise and Lilina's portraits, I have become emboldened and decided to try out Paula's official clay model from Earthbound. However, the gradation was difficult due to the lack of colour contrast on the original clay model.

Bottle at a Cafe

Spoiler

0iXuzdX.jpg

Table and Stool

Spoiler

vvlAg3g.jpg

Coming up next

Spoiler

EOlFKRa.jpg

I am also going to do a portrait of a random Nintendo heroine/female protagonist/female main character. I've already have a couple of characters that I want to try - 2 are from Fire Emblem, with 2 from Pokémon, and 1 from Golden Sun. Please stay tuned!

Edited by henrymidfields

• 1 month later...

Gallery: 11-12 March 2017

Hi, sorry for the long hiatus since my last post - it has been busy times. Anyway, I've finally managed to get some artwork done, and especially one that was difficult to work with.

Arthur - FE Fates

Spoiler

V3d1RwJ.jpg

Here is our resident patriot and defender of Nohrian democracy, Arthur!

Caeda - FE Shadow Dragon DS

Spoiler

frph39K.jpg

And our unsung Nintendo heroine, alongside with Paula (see previous post) and Misty (coming soon), Caeda from Fire Emblem!

For my next update, I will have Misty from the Pokémon Anime, the game version of Serena, and maybe either Jasmine/Jenna from Golden Sun, or child Zelda from Ocarina of Time.

Edited by henrymidfields

• 3 weeks later...

Gallery: 1-2 April 2017
And now, back to some Pokémon stuff. Featuring studies on Serena from Pokémon XY, and Misty from the Pokémon Anime in her AG outfit.

Serena from Pokémon XY Games

Spoiler

3C2sxvy.jpg

Misty from the Pokémon Anime

Spoiler

VtKwVD6.jpg

[/spoiler]

Edited by henrymidfields

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of an update, while I will still draw random stuff from Fire Emblem, Pokémon, and from real life, I will also be starting up a intermittent series of Nintendo heroines. I've just finished drawing up Zelda Junior from Ocarina of Time, and I'm currently drawing up Jasmine from Golden Sun. Afterwards, I planning to do charcoal pencil drawings of the official artworks of:

• Mia (also from GS)
  • Female Robin from Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Sakura from Fire Emblem Fates, and
  • May from the Pokémon Anime.

• 4 weeks later...

Gallery: 8 May 2017

Ladies and gentlemen, sorry for the belated update. First things, behold, Jenna from the original Golden Sun, and Zelda Jr from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Jenna from Golden Sun

Spoiler

TdY5ZFM.jpg
I was quite happy how this interpretation of the official art turned out. Barring a couple of minor differences, it is perhaps the closest I have got in imitating/reconstructing the official artwork in black-and-white charcoal pencil. Speaking of the subject, I have not yet played anything beyond the very first GBA game, so that is something I need to do...eventually.

Zelda from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Spoiler

7khTVeA.jpg
This one was not as successful in retaining the essence of the official artwork. The problem is due to the smaller pupils I drew compared to the original, with Zelda looking somewhat sinister. While I will move on for the time being, I may want to do a "Draw-it-again-meme" later down the track.[/spoiler]

Table set and lamp post in cafe

Spoiler

[spoiler=Table set and lamp post in cafe]
dE4W9LI.jpg
A real-life/still-life sketch of a set of furnitures in a café I started to frequent regularly.

Sketches of faces and hand

Spoiler

f2WIkQ8.jpg

Next up, Female Robin from Fire Emblem: Awakening.

• 2 weeks later...

I always keep meaning to post more in this thread, so apologies for my hesitation.

Firstly, it's great to see how much the quality has improved in the more recent pieces, especially with the shading used. Your method of practicing has certainly made the proportions more accurate. And finally, it impresses me how much detail you're able to go into with some of these pieces. It gives me the sense you've put a lot time into them.

There are one or two minor things that I notice in your recent pieces though. On Jenna for example, I think you made some of the lines of the head too concave, which makes her look gaunt. I should say this sticks out to me because the rest of the picture is well drawn by comparison. Also, in your Table Set and Lamp picture the bottom of the lamp, where it comes out below the chair, doesn't line up properly with the top. I think errors like that can be avoided by some construction before going into details. You could've, in the early stages of the drawing, lightly drawn a line going through the chair to make sure the two ends of the lamp connected.

I hope my comments are of good use. I really look forward to seeing new posts in this thread.

Gallery: 20 May 2017
@Shuuda: Thanks for your encouragement. I'll give a more detailed reply later.

My faithful audience, behold our two new heroines in the gallery.

Robin from Fire Emblem Awakening
Spoiler

kZpJjgM.jpg
Both Robin in here and May below have come out quicker than I initially thought. Robin was actually my first Nintendo-based portrait where I didn't use any shadowing on Robin's skin at all. That was how pale-skinned she looked in the original/official sprite in Awakening, even compared to, say, Serena (Pokémon XY).

May from the Pokémon Anime (Advanced Generation)
Spoiler

FQDLMNR.jpg
Given that the original scene done by the animators lacked depth in the colouring/shading department, I started to do my own interpretations, shown above. I've added shine to May's hair, and also made the shadings more gradual/transient. Later on, I might do an alternate costume to the above pose - maybe put her on in her game counterpart's ORAS outfit.

Coming up next: Kumatora (yes, the clay model from Mother 3)
Edited by henrymidfields

• 2 weeks later...

@Shuuda: Sorry for the late reply. I had a look at Jenna's official artwork, and I struggle to see the difference between the official artwork and my copy in regards to Jenna's hairstyle. (Or is this a problem in the official art in the first place?) As for the still life involving the lamp's base "teleporting", I'm actually wondering how I failed to not notice the blunder!! :blink: Perhaps I must have forgotten to check where the lamp was when I was drawng the base. Oh well.

Gallery: 20 May 2017
So because I wasn't able to make as much progress as I had hoped, I am just going to do a small update now. This time, we are meeting a more obscure heroine from a decade ago, much beloved by the western community along with a Nintendo franchise from Shigesato Itoi that has never seen the light of day outside Japan.

Ladies and gentlemen, here is Kumatora from MOTHER 3!

Spoiler

ah6qQxK.jpg
Somewhat ironically, I wasn't as enthusiastic about Mother 3 as I was with Mother 1+2 when I first played the game years ago. My reasoning is mainly due to how much of a departure 3 was compared to 1+2 - which is actually the same reason for the lack of enthusiasm from fellow Japanese gamers. I guess I prefer an adventure that takes me to different places across the nation (1) or even the globe (2). I wouldn't mind giving 3 a second try, though, and give a bit more consideration and understanding to see why it is very popular with non-Japanese gamers. Perhaps, this has also somewhat tainted my view of Kumatora as well, considering that I have better enjoyment with Sully, another tomboy from FE Awakening. (Though I'll still put her a fair amount above Nintendo's resident damsel scrappy.)

As for the artwork, I was expecting a difficult time similar with Paula (MOTHER 2), shown earlier in this thread. Surprisingly, my new smudging tool proved to be better in creating a more nuanced differences in shading.

Next up is a heroine from a similarly obscure entry - Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective Club, an early Japan-only franchise from the original NES. (Some of you may have seen her as a trophy from Super Smash Bros Melee.

Edited by henrymidfields

Nintendo Heroines EDIT (4 June 2017):

I have also started up a series of studies on official artwork on Nintendo heroines - mainly female protagonists and important characters that I have loved (or at worst, not majorly dislike) throughout the ages. While I will look for examples from various franchises that Nintendo published (including some obscure ones) emphasis will be given to female characters from Pokémon and Fire Emblem. In particular to the latter, I am going to make a conscious effort to publicize all the games throughout its history, and not just Awakening and Fates. I have got a couple started already, in fact. All in the name of recognition and celebration of the female characters that are not considered the standard Nintendo fare (Peach/Samus/Zelda...though the last one I've bent the rules for this...).

A poll has been up, courtesy of @Tangerine (and no courtesy to a bug preventing me from editing the first page). Please vote for whoever you want to see next!

Edited by henrymidfields

• 2 months later...

Sorry it took so long. Firstly there was a mandatory break that was mandated on me, then some huge workload at my office, and then music rehearsals for the State Competition that my concert band is in. Anyway, today, I not only have Ayumi Tachibana from Famicon Detective Club, but I also have Dawn from the Pokémon Anime.

Gallery: 15 August 2017
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)

Spoiler

sOQVTR7.jpg

I personally don't know much of the character; in fact the first time I've heard of the Famicom Detective Club series was from Smash Brothers Melee. An ordinary high school student in a typical Japanese city, she would help solve a crime involving both the murder of her classmate and another girl from 15 years before the game.

Dawn (Pokémon Anime DP)

Spoiler

5bwRVqH.jpg
A scene which featured Dawn in a Pokémon Contest show. The original scene is from the very first image of this Google search. (For some reason, the Photobucket-reliant image hates my PC and won't show the image) I've improvised the anime scene more to add more shadow, light and texture to Dawn's hair and ribbon.

Also, the votes on the top polls are still on. I've got one person wanting to see Eirika from FE: Sacred Stones next, while a friend from the real world wants to see Adelaine from Kirby 64. And there are members from Bulbagarden who wants to see Iris from the Pokémon BW Anime, Hilda from the Pokémon BW1 games, Linkle from Hyrule Warriors, and Celica from Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia.

Edited by henrymidfields

• 4 weeks later...

Gosh this was quite a difficult one. I was actually on and off this one as there was a lot more detail to go through. Anyway, to whoever voted for Eirika for my next imitation sketch with charcoal, here it is below.

Gallery: 11 September 2017
Eirika of Renais (Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones)

Spoiler

ykhKxRH.jpg

So I decided to do a full figure sketch for Eirika, but it looks like A5 size was too small for such detailed drawing. Firstly, I lost track of some of the proportions of the body, which led to Eirika's right leg being shorter than the official artwork. The change in Eirika's cape and hair was intentional, however; I never understood why her cape looked jagged in the official artwork - I don't remember Lilina or Roy's capes being that jagged in their official artwork.
My attempt in replicating Eirika's eyes and mouth was not quite successful either. Perhaps the resulting small drawings space made things harder.

For reference, here's the official artwork.

My next attempts would be Lyra from Pokémon, and Adelaine from Kirby!

• henrymidfields changed the title to henrymidfield's charcoal drawings - Current Project: Nintendo Heroines
  • 2 weeks later...

Gallery: 11 September 2017
So my first drawing of Adelaine is well underway:

Spoiler

UenneDb.jpg

I also started doing some practice on other things as well. I took a couple of candid portraits on the train, and a couple of random stuff...

Spoiler

jScKpAD.jpg
Faces on the trains

j97HzP1.jpg
A car in King's Cross

ktyhpJm.jpg
Some objects

I don't know if your poll is still open, but it would be cool to see Sheba from Golden Sun.  Really, anybody from Golden Sun.  It's an under appreciated series that deserved better.

@Rezzy: The voting's on indefinitely at the moment, as there's only two of you, and I still have over half of the selections to go through. Indeed, this current project is mainly for characters that don't get much mention outside their home series. And I agree, I'm quite disaapointed that there's no news on Golden Sun for the Switch; at that time, it's the few games that I've found appealing enough to play from the GBA/GC era. (Though I have yet to get through Wind Waker, Path of Radiance, and Pokemon Colosseum and those look encouraging.) Do you have anyone else you want to see that's not on the list?

Edited by henrymidfields

• 3 weeks later...

Gallery: 16 October 2017 - Adeleine Special Edition!
Hello again! I've now finished all three portraits of Adeleine for my real-life friend who sent in the special request. For now, here are the three portraits of the illustrious painter from Kirby 64!

Adeleine (Kirby 64)

Spoiler

wMBBDXq.jpg

YGKaLgQ.jpg

SDHhLGL.jpg

All of the artworks are based on official ones, and the third one in particular is based on in-game footage, and also in a bigger size format than previously. (All the previous prints of official artworks were in A5 size, but this one was printed in A4.) Again, I've re-interpreted and embellished the rather simplistic originals, to add depth through extra shadowing. To my joy, my friend in Tokyo found the pictures really cute, so I am glad that I was able to fulfill her request.

Lyra (Pokemon DP Anime)
I also drawn up Lyra from Pokemon, in the anime version. It was much easier to draw her after doing Misty, May, and Dawn; the thing only took me a full day to fully draw her.

Spoiler

Fo1QRHb.jpg

My plan onwards: From my same thread in Bulbagarden, I have a few votes for Iris (from the Pokemon BW Anime) and Hilda (from the Pokemon BW game), while two people also voted for Celica from the FE Shadows of Valentia, and I myself want to showcase Nanna from Thracia 776. @Rezzy from this forum asked for Sheba to be drawn up, which I will do in the next available opportunity.

Edited by henrymidfields

35 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

Gallery: 16 October 2017 - Adeleine Special Edition!
Hello again! I've now finished all three portraits of Adeleine for my real-life friend who sent in the special request. For now, here are the three portraits of the illustrious painter from Kirby 64!

Adeleine (Kirby 64)

Hide contents

wMBBDXq.jpg

YGKaLgQ.jpg

SDHhLGL.jpg

All of the artworks are based on official ones, and the third one in particular is based on in-game footage, and also in a bigger size format than previously. (All the previous prints of official artworks were in A5 size, but this one was printed in A4.) Again, I've re-interpreted and embellished the rather simplistic originals, to add depth through extra shadowing. To my joy, my friend in Tokyo found the pictures really cute, so I am glad that I was able to fulfill her request.

Lyra (Pokemon DP Anime)
I also drawn up Lyra from Pokemon, in the anime version. It was much easier to draw her after doing Misty, May, and Dawn; the thing only took me a full day to fully draw her.

Hide contents

Fo1QRHb.jpg

My plan onwards: From my same thread in Bulbagarden, I have a few votes for Iris (from the Pokemon BW Anime) and Hilda (from the Pokemon BW game), while two people also voted for Celica from the FE Shadows of Valentia, and I myself want to showcase Nanna from Thracia 776. @Rezzy from this forum asked for Sheba to be drawn up, which I will do in the next available opportunity.

Cool, thank you.  I look forward to seeing it.