can we go over sources that aren't allowed?

Phoenix Wright

it's an important topic. we've got "learning material," which probably no one reads, but we should set the record straight on sources that shouldn't be cited. daily news, breitbart, and huffpost are huge offenders of routinely terrible op-eds and ill-informed drivel.

this is a somewhat comprehensive list of sources. we can talk about what is/is not allowed and why. http://www.businessinsider.com/here-are-the-most-and-least-trusted-news-outlets-in-america-2014-10

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Neat chart to look at. Though I'm honestly surprised that centrists trust Fox News and MSNBC. I will certainly read both to see what they're saying (unlike Breitbart/Huffpost) but I would never fully trust either without confirming with a second source.

It's interesting how "consistent conservatives" trust almost no news that is trusted by even centrists (let alone people on the other side), and only trust one source that is broadly trusted (WSJ) out of those listed.

Neat chart to look at. Though I'm honestly surprised that centrists trust Fox News and MSNBC. I will certainly read both to see what they're saying (unlike Breitbart/Huffpost) but I would never fully trust either without confirming with a second source.

It's interesting how "consistent conservatives" trust almost no news that is trusted by even centrists (let alone people on the other side), and only trust one source that is broadly trusted (WSJ) out of those listed.

when it comes to news, i think fox and msnbc can be trusted. "this happened" sort of thing, but yeah political news stories will definitely require a second source.

yeah consistent conservatives are so distrustful lol.

I love how no group trusts Buzzfeed.

it's my favorite part.

On the right, I rarely read Breitbart, Drudge or any other "crazy nut job" site. Breitbart screwed the pooch for me last year.

One site that I do like for political commentary is The Daily Wire and I think that they are quite fair even with a heavy conservative lean. They're at least open about it and source just about everything.

Three problems:

1. This study is two years old. For example, this doesn't take into account CNN's antics during the presidential debates, and how this would affect public perception.

2. Here's the actual study. There's a fairly liberal slant in terms of numbers, though whether this is because such polls are more likely to be answered by liberals (since the data was primarily taken from a web survey) or because liberals outright outnumber conservatives is another matter entirely. According to the graphs here, local news dominates as a news source, even though they were asked to rank the trustworthiness of (inter)national sources. A better graph can be found here, which breaks down answers by ideological group. Would love to read more about this study, but the PDF causes my browser to freak out.

3. Paywalls suck, which is why I think the Wall Street Journal probably has good information, but I don't want to use it as a source.

This is an interesting topic, though. I really would've liked to see the reasoning behind why people trusted/distrusted a given source, though I think that type of survey would've had a much smaller sample size. If there's a more recent study (say, within the past few months), that would help a lot.

On the right, I rarely read Breitbart, Drudge or any other "crazy nut job" site. Breitbart screwed the pooch for me last year.

One site that I do like for political commentary is The Daily Wire and I think that they are quite fair even with a heavy conservative lean. They're at least open about it and source just about everything.

That's the one Ben Shapiro is on right? Why does everyone dislike that guy so much? I may not agree with what he says, but from the articles I've read, he argues his points in a civil manner.

That's the one Ben Shapiro is on right? Why does everyone dislike that guy so much? I may not agree with what he says, but from the articles I've read, he argues his points in a civil manner.

Because he's Ben Shapiro. That's why they hate him. He goes on CNN and embarrasses everyone there every single time with his shit-eating grin.

Watch some of his actual debates on YouTube. The race one is probably his best showing but they're all great.

Three problems:

1. This study is two years old. For example, this doesn't take into account CNN's antics during the presidential debates, and how this would affect public perception.

2. Here's the actual study. There's a fairly liberal slant in terms of numbers, though whether this is because such polls are more likely to be answered by liberals (since the data was primarily taken from a web survey) or because liberals outright outnumber conservatives is another matter entirely. According to the graphs here, local news dominates as a news source, even though they were asked to rank the trustworthiness of (inter)national sources. A better graph can be found here, which breaks down answers by ideological group. Would love to read more about this study, but the PDF causes my browser to freak out.

3. Paywalls suck, which is why I think the Wall Street Journal probably has good information, but I don't want to use it as a source.

This is an interesting topic, though. I really would've liked to see the reasoning behind why people trusted/distrusted a given source, though I think that type of survey would've had a much smaller sample size. If there's a more recent study (say, within the past few months), that would help a lot.

as noted in the op, it's meant more to be a comprehensive list of sources. it wouldn't really make sense to decide our metric from the study. for example, known conservatives have posted here noting how bad breitbart is, and libs have posted how bad huffpost is. it would be interesting to see an update though, for the sake of current trends in media!

today was the first day i went on their website and discovered just how much content is paylocked. in the future, it may be worth it to pay for a trusted source. for here i agree, no wsj unless the article is readable.

i am not aware of any studies.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

There are certain addons to get around the whole paywall thing but it isn't exactly open to everyone without them going to those external methods themselves.

Is Salon considered a news source? Almost everything I've seen from there is pretty garbage.

as noted in the op, it's meant more to be a comprehensive list of sources. it wouldn't really make sense to decide our metric from the study. for example, known conservatives have posted here noting how bad breitbart is, and libs have posted how bad huffpost is. it would be interesting to see an update though, for the sake of current trends in media!

today was the first day i went on their website and discovered just how much content is paylocked. in the future, it may be worth it to pay for a trusted source. for here i agree, no wsj unless the article is readable.

100% agree here. Nothing more to really add.