Shadow Dragon: Gaiden Chapter Run

PersonWithTime

So I decided to replay Shadow Dragon, but this time do the Gaiden chapters, because I didn't do them in my first play through.

But I can't stand having characters die so.... I did some... light hacking and... I did this!

tumblr_ohhis1jezZ1ttzywto1_540.jpg

My overall opinion on this replay is, as someone who has always appreciated Shadow Dragon, I thought it was really fun and I sort of feel like this is the way the game was intended to be played. Not the 99 Aum Staff of course, but sending off your defenseless units as distractions so you can go ahead to the Gaiden chapters. It brought me back to the whole decoy thing and being told that you'll have to kill someone off to get head. I'm not saying this was a good intention or not, just stating how I feel.

The only Gaiden chapter I didn't do was the Nagi one, because I did it last time and I wanted Gotoh this time. Plus Marth doesn't even recognize Nagi in New Mystery so... whatever.

The only cheat codes I used was to turn the Aum Staff's uses to 99, and get myself some Elysian Whips. Just to clarify.

I do see that idea and the devs intending for that style of play. But Shadow Dragon is definitely not the worst difficulty wise, and after a time you'd likely not be in a position where you'd need to sacrifice units or trap yourself (except not knowing Starlight is Female only. WHY?).

Also there's a patch to remove the low party count for the Gaiden chapters, but then you wouldn't have a 99 Aum staff.

Oh my god-no-you have no idea how easy this god damn game was when I played like that.

Seriously, when I didn't want my main units to die and it was risky I put an unofficial decoy next to them so the enemy units would go after them instead. It was more challenging when I tried to keep everyone alive and not go for the Gaiden chapters.

And Starlight isn't female only is it? I mean... I just beat Shadow Dragon and I had Merric use Starlight.... I don't think I glitched up my game that badly...?

Also feel free to tell me about this patch! I'd love to hear about it. I feel like I have some pretty noobish questions that everyone already got the answer for years back, so they don't talk about it anymore. I still don't know how to get the DLC chapters for New Mystery of the Emblem on my R4, I've almost given up now.

But yeah, the 99 Aum Staff glitch was really just to keep all the characters and still get to the Gaiden chapters, as amusing as it is to see almost every character on the battlefield at once, it's not necessary. Plus I timed the photo right, because Midia kept glitching out.

Oh my god-no-you have no idea how easy this god damn game was when I played like that.

Seriously, when I didn't want my main units to die and it was risky I put an unofficial decoy next to them so the enemy units would go after them instead. It was more challenging when I tried to keep everyone alive and not go for the Gaiden chapters.

And Starlight isn't female only is it? I mean... I just beat Shadow Dragon and I had Merric use Starlight.... I don't think I glitched up my game that badly...?

Also feel free to tell me about this patch! I'd love to hear about it. I feel like I have some pretty noobish questions that everyone already got the answer for years back, so they don't talk about it anymore. I still don't know how to get the DLC chapters for New Mystery of the Emblem on my R4, I've almost given up now.

But yeah, the 99 Aum Staff glitch was really just to keep all the characters and still get to the Gaiden chapters, as amusing as it is to see almost every character on the battlefield at once, it's not necessary. Plus I timed the photo right, because Midia kept glitching out.

This thread is where I got said patch. Keep a clean rom on hand of course, and the patch is for US versions only.

....Apparently I read that about Starlight wrong all along, and thought that in the remakes it was female only (Well crap). You have no idea how frustrating it was trying to get Lena to C magic in the chapter you face Gharnef. Holy crap that was rough. Really the reason I'd find it tough to do a Gaiden run (besides, y'know, not liking killing off units) is because you get so many, and trying to get them killed off is an annoyance without knowing the equipment gets passed on to the convoy if they die as wanting to keep said items is understandable. Also, I know there's a way to do it, and I got the save files somewhere, but I don't know from where off the top of my head.

(And of course I didn't see the bottom screen of that photo. That is some legit work there.)

Oh thank you! I will happily check that out!

And yeah... I'm really sorry about that friend, but on the plus side now you'll have an easier time with Starlight in your next playthrough. Yay! Looking at the positives!

But yeah, I really thought that I was gonna have an annoyed time with constantly killing characters off, but I found it surprisingly fun... that sounds really weird, but you know what I mean. The only time it was kinda annoying was the 2nd chapter, I believe it was when you get like 10 new characters at once, three of them being axe people, that was a little much. But I dunno, I guess I found some fun in sticking with my tight little group and trying to keep the character quota down to make the gaiden chapters. It didn't really hurt to send them off to their doom because I knew I was gonna spam that Aum staff and get them all back in the end. But it still felt like I was playing a real Fire Emblem because I didn't want the units I worked hard on to get killed, because I wouldn't get them back until the 2nd last chapter. So if my mains did die then I restarted the chapter. It felt really good to play the game this way, and it didn't really feel like I was cheating.

I mean, the first time I played the game I spammed warp to level Elice up, so this time was more interesting. Also it feels so good to see the ending character scroll with everyone alive and still have the Gaiden characters at the end.

SO GOD DAMN EASY! But, still really fun.