Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War 2017 Tier List - Day 39: The support kids (Corple, Lene, Sharlow and Laylea)

OliKad

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's generally easy to get the required amount of kills to unlock the Critical Skill, for any weapon. Hero Weapons and Magic Swords are just usually your best picks for various, rather obvious reasons.

Edited by Yojinbo

Faval is the only one right choice to kill Ishtar in chapter 7 because with his bases he can oneshot her.

He just needs accuracy boosts by Seliph, Delmud and Nanna.

9wymodlHE7Y.jpg
Miss at 84% :(
p8vScYaEMSg.jpg
Ares is the only one right choice to kill Ishtar!

^ Heh... this works too.

He just needs the right levels.

I've to admit the same mishup with Faval happened to me in my last FE4 run too.

Missed despite having the highest possible hitrate he could get.

Must be scripted.

The same actually happened to me! O_O

Now I have serious doubts about it

Shanan shouldn't have problems surviving a hit from Ishtar. If my math is correct she has 52 attack and Shanan has base 38 hp and 4 RES. With a barrier ring he is guaranteed to survive at level 18 thanks to his +100% hp growth. Usually for me he is around level 17 by that point so he would just need +1 res or to proc his extra 20% hp growth once to be able to survive. He needs 1 point in strength to 2HKO her with a brave sword as well but most characters can do that.

Goddamn, I don't know how you people get so many kills on your weapons :Y I balance my exp between my army pretty well and almost always have everyone at level 25+ and promoted (save dancers) but I usually only get the G1 hero sword, Sigurd's Silver Sword, the hero axe and maaybe the light brand to 50+ and that usually takes until the endgame to achieve.

I balance my exp between my army pretty well [...]

There are different ways to accomplish this!

Before Anphony castle in Ch.2 you can have Fin wipe out all the castle guards [except the bow knights] and Voltz/Beowulf squad with the Hero Lance via prayer abuse. On the same turn Ethlin can return Cuan to the home castle and on the next turn, after Sigurd seizes Anphony and is returned home by Ethlin, Fin can sell the Hero Lance to Cuan at Anphony Castle who then proceeds to charge ahead and wipe out most/all enemy units on the way from Mackily Castle to Agusty Castle solo. This will get you around ~30 kills on the Hero Lance.

In Ch.3 promoted Alec can charge west with the Light Sword and a Magic Ring and solo Eltshan's Cross Knights. He can continue pressing west after Lachesis gets rid of Elthsan and collect a few additional kills on the Light Sword against the Castle guards, depending on how his health is looking. That should get you some 20 kills on the Light Sword. Meanwhile Ardan, equipped with a Pursuit Ring and a Hero Sword can kill Pirates at the bridge chokepoint en masse to get free kills on the Hero Sword.

You have now balanced your exp among 4 different units [one of which is otherwise pretty hard to get exp on outside of the arena] and gotten your Hero Sword past the halfway mark to 50 kills and both the Hero Sword and the Light Sword close to it.

In Ch.4 and Ch.5 you can distribute weapons you want to collect kills on among various units that you want to catch up in terms of exp. Two Magic Swords [Light and Thunder], a Hero Sword and a Hero Lance are free to be used by the likes of Beowulf, Dew, Fury or whoever else needs to gain some exp to catch up.

Like I said it's not a logistical problem, just a matter of optimizing weapon usage and exp gain.

Edited by Yojinbo

Ooh boy, this place sure is different now, isn't it?
Well, I do like the new look of SF, it's just that I'll need a good amount of time to get used to it. Like pretty much everyone on the Forums right now :P

Anyway, it seems like I cannot access the other pages of this topic, so until this problem is fixed, I won't be able to continue this thread.
Be patient everyone, I'm sure that everything will be back to normal soon! ^^

^Yeah, I noticed this problem too. In fact, I feel like some pages are missing. Oh well...

By the way, Shanan is on par with Oifaye for being the most handsome guy in Gen 2. At least for me, that is.

shanan:

olikad: 8.5

valkama: 5

zeems 6

jedi: 6

eleanor: 9

gen horace: 5.5

flee fleet!: 9

CappnRob: 7.5

Shin: 6.5

etrurian emperor: 9

dayni: 6.5

qwernst: 8

yojinbo: 5.5

peppy: 5.5

Vaximillian: 8

Darrman: 7.5

Excellen: 6

All votes AFAIK, so let's just move this on.

Glad I'm not the only one! ^^
Also, big thanks for compilling the votes Excellen! I really appreciate it! :D

Since you asked, I'll let you vote Fionorde, don't worry! :)

Awesome!  Here it is now!

------------

Ah, Shanan... as Sigurd so eloquently put it; "You're the man, Shanan!".  In fact, he is the perfect example of why growths aren't necessarily a reliable measure of how useful he is.  I mean, he's got Alec's STR growth and Noish's SPD growth; and were it not for his Major Odo, he'd have Noish's SKL growth too!

And yet, he starts out as one of the most powerful characters in the game, with a whopping 18 STR, 22 SKL, 23 SPD, and 13 DEF.  His HP is a middling 38, but even THAT grows huge, thanks to his 120% HP growth (thanks again, Major Odo)!  So already, he's pretty, especially when you factor in Meteor Sword.

What REALLY seals the deal, however, is his Balmung!  It's literally Holsety on a sword!  The only differences are that the Balmung has 3 WT compared to Holsety's 5 WT, and also lacks 2 Range.  But other than that, it's basically Holsety!

Combine that with Shanan's bases and growths, and you got yourself a 53 Might and 105 Evade beat stick with app at Level 30; and he also has Pursuit, Continue, and Meteor a Sword to back it up!  His stats go so high, that he could even kill the final Chapter 10 boss (though said boss is still strong enough to one shot him; do not attempt on an AAAA Rank run)!

That said though, he STILL doesn't have a horse, he doesn't have good 2 Range, and his durability IS a little shaky when you first get him.  For those reasons, I have him slightly lower than Oifaye, despite his much higher raw stats.  Instead, I'll give him a 8/10 just for being yet another awesome crutch unit.  His stats certainly dwarf Oifaye's, but his lack of horseback holds him back from being quite as reliable against non-boss units.

------------

Sent from my iPad
Edited by FionordeQuester

I've fired up FE4 this week for my third playthrough to date, and the non-pony syndrome is even worse than I remember. :\ You guys need to be a bit harsher on the scores for footies; even Ced isn't getting an especially high rating from me at this point (and I realized how poor his movement was on only the second playthrough....).

I don't dock points for lacking a mount on principle because I keep my army generally together. I make more use out of mounted units movements for hit and runs, ie gettting in close and then pulling way back out, than for just running ahead of everyone. Never bothered me save for perhaps the fucking stretch of nothing on your way to Ishtor in Chapter 7.

1 hour ago, Inference said:

You guys need to be a bit harsher on the scores for footies...

No, actually, we do not :P: . There are many different ways of playing FE4, and Olikad never said we had to judge the characters in any standardized way; therefore, we have free reign to say whatever we want, for whatever reasons we want.

For example, I'm judging purely from a casual perspective; an EFFICIENCY perspective, I find, is too restrictive, as there are only a select few units that even get used under an efficiency model.  Gen 1, for example, is basically just a Sigurd solo with occasional help from Aideen, Levin, Ethlin, and Fury; MAYBE Claude too, but ONLY if you're planning to use the Rescue Staff glitch.

Oh, and if the Efficiency player wants to get the Knight Ring, they will want to use Finn and Cuan in Chapter 2; but that's not necessary.. 

5 hours ago, FionordeQuester said:

No, actually, we do not :P: . There are many different ways of playing FE4, and Olikad never said we had to judge the characters in any standardized way; therefore, we have free reign to say whatever we want, for whatever reasons we want.

For example, I'm judging purely from a casual perspective; an EFFICIENCY perspective, I find, is too restrictive, as there are only a select few units that even get used under an efficiency model.  Gen 1, for example, is basically just a Sigurd solo with occasional help from Aideen, Levin, Ethlin, and Fury; MAYBE Claude too, but ONLY if you're planning to use the Rescue Staff glitch.

Oh, and if the Efficiency player wants to get the Knight Ring, they will want to use Finn and Cuan in Chapter 2; but that's not necessary.. 

Do I really need to preface an opinion with a disclaimer? I'm not an efficiency player at all, but the one thing every foot unit has working against them in this game is that the utterly massive size of the maps forces so much real time for them to actually keep up with the bulk of the main force that it is ridiculously tedious to try and raise up the likes of, say, Ayra in Gen 1. Even if I take my time playing in general, using Ayra takes up even more time. And I mean way more time, even on an emulator with the speed up function. (When you're not rushing in to win, you sill have to watch the enemy move and the player/enemy phase banners appear, and after dozens of turns of that, I'm already thinking about something else to do entirely...)

I'm already a casual player myself, and I even I can see this game is ridiculously biased toward ponies.

Even in more casual play, mounted units do other small overlooked tasks like saving villages, (or saving them for more money!) that people probably take for granted too.  There are other things too, like killing sleep staff bishops in gen 2, that unmounted units just can't do.  It's not just from an "efficient" standpoint that unmounted units are less useful, there are things that they simply don't do as well (or at all) because of their class.  It's like Noish not being able to double because he doesn't have pursuit.

11 hours ago, Inference said:

I've fired up FE4 this week for my third playthrough to date, and the non-pony syndrome is even worse than I remember. :\ You guys need to be a bit harsher on the scores for footies; even Ced isn't getting an especially high rating from me at this point (and I realized how poor his movement was on only the second playthrough....).

Sety is actually kind of a bad example because even for a very late joining, footlocked gen 2 unit he's pretty useful, being a competent, completely self-sufficient staffbot - especially with Claude as his father.

I agree though that a lot of footlocked units got better ratings than they deserve :3