Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War 2017 Tier List - Day 39: The support kids (Corple, Lene, Sharlow and Laylea)

OliKad

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She manages to outdo her mother, access to Pursuit and Resire really help. However, she only really exists for chapters 8 and 9, but she kinda functions as a pretty OK foot unit. Staves are nice, but Lana has that niche covered. Statistically she's not bad, but she's limited by her poor movement and availability. However, she does trivialise the final boss, who is otherwise somewhat annoying.

4/10 - Poor availability but she can be used to take a crowd with the help of Resire.

She fumbles around with Nosferatu for most of the duration, gets kidnapped and then saves the world because Narga is broken as all hell.

4/10

4/10

Backup staffbot, has a decent niche for herself in Ch.7 and Ch.8. In Ch.9 Hawk/Sety and Linda/Tinny can take her place easily so she's only really useful for 2 chapters but Ch.7 in particular is where a second staff user is really handy.

Julia's staving utility isn't as good as Lana's, but hey, Pursuit and Nosferatu/Resire kick ass together. Unfortunately she has no mount, though, so she'll miss out in all the action in chapters that aren't 7 and 8. Being captured in 10 also sucks for her, but when she comes back, RIP Julius.

3.5/10, +1 bias for being really cute. 4.5/10

Edited by Zeems

Julia is basically "what if Deirdre was actually good". She has pursuit! She has continue! She has a magic spell that is actually useable for something besides a nuclear blast! (Seriously, I let Deirdre hold the magic ring in my current G1 run and she managed to actually beat Chapter 2 and 3's arenas because Aura is such a bomb of an attack. The circlet gave prayer which let her dodge too lel). And most of all, you have her for MOST of G2. Yeah, she gets abducted right before Chapter 10, and oh maaaan she would've been useful there too, but you know despite that I still think Julia is pretty good. She's certainly going to be your most potent G2 magic user with that 100% magic growth, and HEY, SHE CAN PROMOTE TOO! Also, she lets you cheese the final boss, which imo is great because you get the most DBZ fight in Fire Emblem history as two mages shoot dragon powered death rays at one another.

On the drawbacks though she's still not all that fast so while she CAN double (and even quadruple) hit she won't be doing it -too- much. She's foot locked which while I don't consider that a total detriment does mean you have to slow your army down to advance (and G2 is a lot more cavalry heavy than G1 with regards to map design), and she's pretty flimsy too HP and defense wise. Still, she's a potent spellcaster and I give her a 6/10.

Julia is like her mother. But thankfully, she isn't as terrible as her mother! Why isn't she as terrible as her mother? Because she actually has some more skills and can get a better weapon. Get a better weapon. She starts out completely unarmed. Wonderful. At least some quick convos let her heal and fight. Take Isaac, get Nosferatu. Take Sophara, get Aura. Remember how horrible mum was with that Aura? Don't make the same mistake. So now she can actually fight, so let's take a look at the stats. She has 100% magic, so she physically can't get magic-screwed. She'll get +magic no matter what. Unless the arena bugs in older patches/vanilla Japanese rear their ugly heads, that is. On the other side of the coin, her HP/Def are awful. Can't Nosfertank if you just get one-shotted by the stronger physical enemies... Skillwise, she has her mother's Nihil and got Pursuit and Continue from... somewhere. I guess Alvis was still a sage and managed to personalise Continue somehow... I don't know where the Pursuit comes from. Maybe the ring on her head is a Pursuit Ring. The important thing is she has it, so she's automatically better. She also can use staves, so having a second healer is nice. Unfortunately, she also has the dreaded five move, so she's gonna get left in the dust. Then Manfloy kidnaps her at the start of Chapter 10. Like mother, like daughter. At least Manfloy let us use Julia for a while. Let's compare availability for a bit.

Deirdre: 1-3 till 3-1. And she isn't even usable in 3-1, you just have time to sell her stuff.

Julia: 6-2 till 9-4. Don't forget to sell her stuff after killing Arion!

Instead of being forced into committing incest with her brother and getting her mind wiped, Julia gets mind controlled and is forced into trying to kill her brother. Well, her nice brother. After killing Manfloy and getting Narga, we can then wipe her evil brother off the face of the earth. Now Jugdral is finally at peace and she can willingly commit incest. If you exploited that glitch, anyway. ...Man, I've rambled on for ages now. I should rate you already.

Julia is alright, I guess. She can fight, but not too well. She can staffspam, so I guess that's nice. 5+bias since she is quite cute for 5.5/10. Appearance bias best bias.

^ That was a very nice description! :)
But now that you say, it's really puzzling how she got Pursuit and Continue...

Julia: Nosferatu and her set of skills(Nihil, Pursuit and Continue) gives her some utility. Not to mention that she makes the final boss really easy. However her low Defense and HP, with the addition of her 5 movement, really hinders her viability a lot.

4.0/10

And now it's time for the ultimate unit for SNES FE! When she finally gets the Naga tome.

Julia shows up with no items, 5 move and is stuck with a tome type that's usually heavy. So her start's not great, though at least she'll get a mend staff off Rana and a light tome from Celice (Resire if Issac was taken last, Aura if Sophara was taken last. Definitely go for Resire.). From there, she's got a good role as a solid staffbot if you lost even Rana (or Mana), who can heal herself and is certainly better at combat than Deirdre. Unfortunately, she's often weighed down by Resire, and she has 5 movement so getting experience can be hard. but certainly not impossible. Once she promotes, she gets B Wind and Thunder and A Fire (So she can have Bolganone), +2 Res, +5 Skl, +7 Mag (and finally hitting the 30 cap), +8 Spd and 1 movement. Sages for you. So she's amazing when she finally promotes, but what are the chances you get to that without giving her some staff abuse? Not great, but it is doable by chapter 8 with some abuse. She gets kidnapped at the start Chapter 10, so she's gone for that, and in the final chapter she's only available for the last castle, and if you faced the deadlords already, last unit. And you have to recruit her by fighting a bunch of Loptyr magi and Manfloy and capture Velthomer, while she's flinging magic (she'll have a lightning tome if you sold everything she had beforehand) at you. So she could kill someone or herself (Though she has the circlet to make this harder). However, if you recruit her, and get her to Velthomer, well GFG, because she'll have the Naga tome then. +20 Skill, Speed, Defence and Resistance, on top of 30 might (and 12 weight. :( ). Pretty sure if it could be gotten for longer anywhere it would be better known for how stupidly good it is. The Deadlords are screwed over by it, and Julius really has to get lucky to kill her, and she easily kills him in 4 hits. Which she can do in 1 round of combat if Continue procs twice. NOTHING else can do that. Shame it's the last castle. So really, she reaches her peak for about 2 chapters maybe? Likely 1 and a half? Hate to say it, but she's not amazing for most of G2. She's good, and if you have subs is great, but with a bunch of strong kids she's not too important.

Remember when I made a joke about Azel being a better dad than Alvis? I actually meant that for gameplay as well!

Spoiler

See, I actually calculated the growths required to get the total growths for Julia from both her parents.

(For all tables, HP, Str, Mag, Skl, Spd, Luk, Def, Res)

Julia has (Base, Naga, Fala):

HP 50 + 20 + 20

Str 10 + 0 + 0

Mag 30 + 40 + 30

Skl 20 + 0 + 0

Spd 30 + 0 + 0

Luk 30 + 0 + 0

Def 10 + 0 + 0

Res 10 + 40 + 0

Julia    90 10 100 20 30 30 10 50

Bases 50 10 30 20 30 30 10 10  

Naga   20 0 40 0 0 0 0 40 Major

Fala   20 0 30 0 0 0 0 0 Minor

Deirdre has (Base, Naga, Loptyr):

HP 40 + 20 + 10

Str 10 + 0 + 0

Mag 10 + 40 + 20

Skl 20 + 0 + 0

Spd 10 + 0 + 0

Luk 10 + 0 + 0

Def 10 + 0 + 0

Res 10 + 40 + 20

Deirdre 70 10 70 20 10 10 10 70

Bases 40 10 10 20 10 10 10 10  

Naga 20 0 40 0 0 0 0 40 Major

Loptyr 10 0 20 0 0 0 0 20 Minor

Alvis thus has, based on this assessment (Base, Fala, Loptyr):

HP 20 + 40 + 10

Str 0 + 0 + 0

Mag 40 + 60 + 20

Skl 0 + 0 + 0

Spd 40 + 0 + 0

Luk 40 + 0 + 0

Def 0 + 0 + 0

Res 0 + 0 + 20

Alvis 70 0 120 0 40 40 0 20

Bases 20 0 40 0 40 40 0 0  

Fala 40 0 60 0 0 0 0 0 Major

Loptyr 10 0 20 0 0 0 0 20 Minor

This can be calculated as the game uses the formula for growths as half of one of the parent's plus the full growths of the other.

So, in table format:

Azel 70 10 40 20 50 20 20 10 Fala

Alvis 70 0 120 0 40 40 0 20 Fala, Loptyr

Without Holy Blood bonuses:

Azel 50 10 10 20 50 20 20 10 –

Alvis 20 0 40 0 40 40 0 0 –

So, I think I found all the growths for dodging in G1 guys! Which makes his stats in G2 even crazier.

At least Alvis passes on Pursuit and Continue to compensate (I swore Julia only got that on promotion. How did Julius get Wrath then?).

And, as a bonus:

HP 20 + 20 + 20 +20

Str 0 + 0 + 0 + 5

Mag 40 + 30 + 40 + 5

Skl 0 + 0 + 0 + 10

Spd 40 + 0 + 0 + 5

Luk 40 + 0 + 0 + 5

Def 0 + 0 + 0 + 5

Res 0 + 0 + 40 + 5

Julius 80 5 115 10 45 45 5 45 Loptyr, Fala

Julius 40 5 45 10 45 45 5 5 (Base growths)

Just saying, Ban Velthomer steroids with the stats they have after these growths! That's where the scrolls in FE5 came from!

And as inheritance and pairing matter jack all for her, I'm going to go ahead and rate her.

I'm going to rate her 6.5/10. She's a good backup staffbot and combat unit if you need it before Chapter 10, and in the end is a monster final boss killer. I'd probably rate her 8 if she didn't get kidnapped to be honest, as Sage is still a great class (for being dismounted) and she has the decency to be early with her nosfertanking potential. If only her dodging growths were better.

Edit: I want a table function on the forums now.

Edited by Dayni

Hell, I let Julia take on all the Dark Warlords with Naga tbh, because I just can't be assed to deal with them lol. She negates all their skills and is basically unkillable with Naga.

And now we have the ultimate unit in this game, the one with Naga, Julia! Sadly she's pretty awesome in the last chapter only, because Naga is a holy weapon that gives unimaginable bonus stats to it's user, even more than Holsety. Unfortunate, that it's only usable in the last chapter.

Anyways, 7/10 with positive bias.

Julia is the daughter of Plot Device and Senpai Zigludo. But, she's not a total useless unit like Deidre, but not as awesome as Sigurd (instead, Celice takes that title, and becomes the new senpai of all). Oh, and she has Pursuit, Continue and Nihil, all of which are good skills. She can also promote into a Sage, unlike her mother. She's also known for being a staffbot, and gains the Mend staff if Lana talks to her, thus making it easier, but slower, for her to gain experience.

As for how she does in battle, it depends on which tome she gets. The Aura tome is the same tome Deidre had, which does massive damage, but it's heavy. Therefore the much better tome is Nosferatu, which sucks up enemy's HP to give it to it's user. Considering how Julia's defense isn't that great, it's pretty useful for her survive.

Another thing to mention is how Julia will always get an increase in Mag for every level up, because she has 100% for it. And that's pretty awesome, because it means she can easily start ORKOing enemies, especially with Pursuit to help. Unfortunately, like Deidre, Julia also gets to leave, but hey, she later returns, with Naga in hand!

All in all, a recommended second staffbot who would do well with Nosferatu more rather than with Aura.

Oh yeah, my bad lol.

She ain't as good as Alvis by a long shot, but hey, any unit better than Deidre, is a usable unit.

Even Arden?

Things Arden can do that Deirdre can't:

1: Sit on a throne and protect it

2: Be available the whole Generation

3: Boss grind to level up (ok I guess Deirdre can staff abuse to similar effect)

4: Promote

5: Use brave weapons so he can double attack

6: Get the pursuit ring

hue

Julia is...an interesting unit. She's like her mother, but with much needed upgrades in every way. Better skills, better stats, better availability, better weapon selection...better everything. Plus, she has an automatic niche to fill fighting the countless mages you fight in Chapter 7. Heck, she does great against MOST of the units you can fight in Chapter 7 if you got Rezire! The only units who are a MASSIVE threat to her are Jabarro and his squad; aside from that, Julia stacks up pretty well! And if her stats aren't up to snuff, you can always level her up via the Arena.

Then of course, there's her promotion, which comes second only to the Master Knight's in just how broken it is. +7 Mag, +5 Skl, and +8 Spd all cover just about every weakness she could have when paired with Rezire.

That said though, she's not...amazing. Her offense is good, and Rezire helps her to survive in situations she's never normally survive...but her survival isn't guaranteed. Rezire still has 12 WT, she only has 5 Move, and Julia's Skill isn't high enough to where she can always hit the people she fights. I wouldn't be comfortable soloing entire groups with her the same way I could with Celice or Sigurd (unless they're all Armour Knights or all generic mages).

Then of course, there's the fact that she leaves after Chapter 9, and doesn't join till the tail end of Final. 1.75 Chapters doesn't sound like a lot, except those just so happen to be the hardest parts of Gen 2. And yes, she can trivialize Julius, that's true...but I know of at least one other easy AND reliable way of murdering the guy. It's a surprise I'm saving for my LP, but...well, let's just say Julius isn't nearly a big enough problem for me to give THAT much weight to Julia's ability to dominate him.

EDIT: Plus, there's the fact that one could get saddled with Aura instead, if they always decide to conquer Sophara instead of Isaac. And if THAT happens, all her early game combat expertise goes out the window. I wouldn't normally mention it, but again; I'm doing all these from a casual perspective.

So, I suppose I'd give her a 5/10. She's a great combat unit, she's a great staff bot, she comes early, and she can thump Julius real good...but she also bails out at PRECISELY the time her talents are most needed. And aside from Julius, there aren't any times where she shines THAT brightly. There aren't any times in the game where I think "whoa, she made that part SO much easier than it would have been!". And that's not getting into how badly her combat falls if a new player gets Aura instead of Rezire. So it's hard for me to rate her as high as the likes of Oifaye and Levin.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Even Arden?

Yes, because-

Things Arden can do that Deirdre can't:

1: Sit on a throne and protect it

2: Be available the whole Generation

3: Boss grind to level up (ok I guess Deirdre can staff abuse to similar effect)

4: Promote

5: Use brave weapons so he can double attack

6: Get the pursuit ring

hue

Dammit, I was too late to be the first one to say it! Oh well. Basically what CappnRob said.

Julia is...an interesting unit. She's like her mother, but with much needed upgrades in every way. Better skills, better stats, better availability, better weapon selection...better everything. Plus, she has an automatic niche to fill fighting the countless mages you fight in Chapter 7. Heck, she does great against MOST of the units you can fight in Chapter 7 if you got Rezire! The only units who are a MASSIVE threat to her are Jabarro and his squad; aside from that, Julia stacks up pretty well! And if her stats aren't up to snuff, you can always level her up via the Arena.

Then of course, there's her promotion, which comes second only to the Master Knight's in just how broken it is. +7 Mag, +5 Skl, and +8 Spd all cover just about every weakness she could have when paired with Rezire.

That said though, she's not...amazing. Her offense is good, and Rezire helps her to survive in situations she's never normally survive...but her survival isn't guaranteed. Rezire still has 12 WT, she only has 5 Move, and Julia's Skill isn't high enough to where she can always hit the people she fights. I wouldn't be comfortable soloing entire groups with her the same way I could with Celice or Sigurd (unless they're all Armour Knights or all generic mages).

Then of course, there's the fact that she leaves after Chapter 9, and doesn't join till the tail end of Final. 1.75 Chapters doesn't sound like a lot, except those just so happen to be the hardest parts of Gen 2. And yes, she can trivialize Julius, that's true...but I know of at least one other easy AND reliable way of murdering the guy. It's a surprise I'm saving for my LP, but...well, let's just say Julius isn't nearly a big enough problem for me to give THAT much weight to Julia's ability to dominate him.

EDIT: Plus, there's the fact that one could get saddled with Aura instead, if they always decide to conquer Sophara instead of Isaac. And if THAT happens, all her early game combat expertise goes out the window. I wouldn't normally mention it, but again; I'm doing all these from a casual perspective.

So, I suppose I'd give her a 5/10. She's a great combat unit, she's a great staff bot, she comes early, and she can thump Julius real good...but she also bails out at PRECISELY the time her talents are most needed. And aside from Julius, there aren't any times where she shines THAT brightly. There aren't any times in the game where I think "whoa, she made that part SO much easier than it would have been!". And that's not getting into how badly her combat falls if a new player gets Aura instead of Rezire. So it's hard for me to rate her as high as the likes of Oifaye and Levin.

Even if you decide to recruit Johan, it's still possible to get Nosferatu. Just wait until the axe knight brigade captures Isaac, and then recapture Isaac, give Nosferatu to Julia, and then capture Sophara. Although I suppose it's easy to miss if you don't know what you're doing.