Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War 2017 Tier List - Day 39: The support kids (Corple, Lene, Sharlow and Laylea)

OliKad

Arden: 1/10 and that just because i want to give him the merit of getting the pursuit ring, which is probably the most wanted ring in your army.

However, other than that, he doesn't have anything​ that makes him useful and when he does, there are other people who surpasses him.

And even if he was to have good stats, the low movement would kill him and make him automatically bad imho

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noish functions decently given resources, and given that he is on a mount, that makes him better than most of the cast by default. Still, the resources that he wants (Pursuit Ring and/or a Brave Weapon) are pretty heavily contested and he's not good for much else other than some meaty chip damage w/o them. 6/10.

Alec is similar to Noish except his offense has less potential (basically, he has no proc skills that can get him out of tough jams in the arena) without some investment. As stated before, the Brave Weapons are highly contested and he's not even the best user of them. However, I'm willing to trust what Horace said about giving promoted him a Magic Ring and a Light Brand and letting him go to town. Racking up kills on the Light Brand was always necessary but was also honestly something that Sigurd wasn't too great at doing himself. Alec being able to do that is a pretty big boon to not only his generation but the next one as well. 7/10

Ardan is pretty useless, not being able to even reach the enemies in order to do damage. Not that his combat or defensive capabilities are particularly great either, as his arena performance will show. So what does he have going for him? Some mediocre chip damage in Chapters 1, 3, 4, and 5 (with the latter two being relegated to him hitting enemies that are burning villages). I don't believe in decimal points and he does just enough not to be a 0, so 1/10 it is.

Still, the resources that he wants (Pursuit Ring and/or a Brave Weapon) are pretty heavily contested and he's not good for much else other than some meaty chip damage w/o them.

Not really. If you decide to not leave the pursuit ring on Ethlyn then no one else really contributes with it nearly as much as him. His competition for the brave lance after Chapter 3 is Sigurd and Erin both of which prefer other weapons.

If you decide to not leave the pursuit ring on Ethlyn then no one else really contributes with it nearly as much as him. His competition for the brave lance after Chapter 3 is Sigurd and Erin both of which prefer other weapons.

He can't use the Pursuit Ring in Chapter 2, Dew makes better use of it in Chapter 3 (or Lachesis or even Levin, depending on who you want to kill the Cross Knights), he's almost irrelevant for Chapter 4, so you're making a pretty big investment giving him the Pursuit Ring for Chapter 5 as opposed to giving to someone so they can pass it down (now, if you're marrying him off to Lachesis or Briggid, then his children could make decent use of it but otherwise it's better off going to other people). There's also the issue of him needing 48K [citation needed] to pay for all of that, which is a nontrivial amount considering what he does with the investment (e.g. what Erin does with less investment, plus you're going to give her the Hero Lance anyways for inheritance purposes). I don't know what other weapons Erin would prefer over the Hero Lance, so you're going to need to be more specific there.

I agree about Lex being way better than Ardan, especially since he uses axes and ch2 and 3 are all about lances so he gains a weapon advantage (although it doesn't make much of a difference), while Ardan is stuck with swords, facing weapon disadvantage for ch2 and 3.

And while Ardan is inferior to most other sword locked fighters, I disagree about Alec being better than him, as he has more strength than him, as well as the defense to survive in chapter2 and 3, although Alec does dodge more than him. However it is true to say that almost everyone including Alec surpasses him in the case of movement, and that's his major flaw.

My point was more about that a sword armor is not really useful anyway, because why should you tank those inaccurate axes when other units that are sword-locked can most likely dodge them anyway?

Also, Noish's and Alec's results were also updated, which bring them to 5.51/10 and 5.94/10 respectively.

Edited by OliKad

I get that Arden's bad. He's pretty easily the worst unit in Genealogy. But I did a run where I gave him massive amounts of favouritism (like, Leg/Pursuit/Speed rings and the Brave Sword) and it was easily the most fun I've ever had going through Gen 1. I don't think there's any other character (save for Holsety!Corple, which is hilarious) who can make the game more exciting just by merit of challenging myself to use him.

He's also not really that bad for the first couple of chapters before he's able to be favouritism-ed if you're not in too much of a hurry and want to mess around with dumb pairings anyway.

So, 3/10.

Also, fun fact: even promoted and with the leg ring, he still can't cross the mountains into the bottom half of the Silesia chapter

I get that Arden's bad. He's pretty easily the worst unit in Genealogy. But I did a run where I gave him massive amounts of favouritism (like, Leg/Pursuit/Speed rings and the Brave Sword) and it was easily the most fun I've ever had going through Gen 1. I don't think there's any other character (save for Holsety!Corple, which is hilarious) who can make the game more exciting just by merit of challenging myself to use him.

He's also not really that bad for the first couple of chapters before he's able to be favouritism-ed if you're not in too much of a hurry and want to mess around with dumb pairings anyway.

So, 3/10.

Also, fun fact: even promoted and with the leg ring, he still can't cross the mountains into the bottom half of the Silesia chapter

LOL, it's like he was stuck as an unpromoted cavalier forever. :P

Besides that, experiences like the one you described is one of the things that makes this game special: if you do the right things and buy the right stuff on your units, anyone can be good, and I found this amount of possible customization to be really, REALLY cool! :D

He can't use the Pursuit Ring in Chapter 2, Dew makes better use of it in Chapter 3 (or Lachesis or even Levin, depending on who you want to kill the Cross Knights), he's almost irrelevant for Chapter 4, so you're making a pretty big investment giving him the Pursuit Ring for Chapter 5 as opposed to giving to someone so they can pass it down (now, if you're marrying him off to Lachesis or Briggid, then his children could make decent use of it but otherwise it's better off going to other people). There's also the issue of him needing 48K [citation needed] to pay for all of that, which is a nontrivial amount considering what he does with the investment (e.g. what Erin does with less investment, plus you're going to give her the Hero Lance anyways for inheritance purposes). I don't know what other weapons Erin would prefer over the Hero Lance, so you're going to need to be more specific there.

Erin likes magic swords from my experience. She really prefers the 2 range over the extra hit that she might get anyways since she gets continue on promotion. Noish isn't spending his money on much so he should have enough money for the pursuit ring by chapter 3 even if you don't give him any along the way(All he needs is arena cash really). I don't think Lewyn or Raquesis are very good with it as giving it to Lewyn is overkill and Raquesis likes to be staffing I find. I find Noish to be very relevant in chapters 4 and 5 and not very relevant earlier. The thing with Noish is if you never fix him he'll never do anything but if you do fix him he'll be great.

Edited by Valkama

tbf Forseti!Corple is the most fun out of the three Gen II users. Totally worth the effort.

Really? He's not mounted nor gets Pursuit at all, only Continue. So, why?

Really? He's not mounted nor gets Pursuit at all, only Continue. So, why?

Simply because it's the best Corple can ever become and it's silly and fun. Ced and Arthur make way better use of it, but Corple definitely makes it silly.

Also, Noish's and Alec's results were also updated, which bring them to 5.51/10 and 5.94/10 respectively.

Wait so results can be updated? In that case:

I give Noish a pink shirt, with personal bias, that has 6.5/10 written on it. I don;t really like him nor hate him. He doesn't have Pursuit but he does have better strength than Green Turban. He can also critical, something not all can do in this game. He's on a horse too. In the end, he's not too strong and not that weak as Flirty green guy. So, ultimately, he's the best unit compared to Ardan and Turban.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

fury gets you more kills on the brave lance than noish will (especially in chapter 4/5) which gets it closer to 50. Along with the fact that Fury will always have it at the end of Chapter 5 for inheritance purposes, you're either tossing a lot of money at Noish early on that could be going towards Lachesis's promotion or he's taking the hero lance for chapter 3, doing as much as Fury would do with it anyway then relinquishing it in chapter 4 and 5 regardless. Fury's good with magic swords too, sure but it's not hard to goon someone with the hero lance then swap to the magic sword on the EP.

Noish does fine with a steel lance or even the slim lance post promotion anyway.

Edited by General Horace

Perhaps I'm arguing too much from the POV of somebody who runs LTC strats but by the time Noish promotes, which is almost always in the beginning of CH.4 for me, the Hero Lance is already close to 50 kills anyways because Fin/Cuan abuse the hell out of it in Ch.2. I'd rather have Noish collect a few more kills with it and have Fury start getting the Thunder Sword to 50 kills instead.

Okay guys, I'm sorry, but Lex's turn will need to wait a bit. I'm quite busy cause of college, so I'll only have time to update this topic later today. Sorry. :/

Perhaps I'm arguing too much from the POV of somebody who runs LTC strats but by the time Noish promotes, which is almost always in the beginning of CH.4 for me, the Hero Lance is already close to 50 kills anyways because Fin/Cuan abuse the hell out of it in Ch.2. I'd rather have Noish collect a few more kills with it and have Fury start getting the Thunder Sword to 50 kills instead.

If you're arguing LTC strats Erin shouldn't even be considered because she's too busy pairing up to actually fight. I doubt most people care about that fact since it costs one turn to pair Erin and Lewyn via conversation. Why do you need a crit thunder sword anyways? When is that useful?

An additional crit!magic sword is always a fantastic ressource to have. It allows you to have both Celice and Oifey run around with one [Light and Thunder respectively], you can have Fee use one allowing the crit!Hero Lance to be given back to Fin, Arthur can use it after promoting, Azel!Delmud can put it to great use, Leaf can put it to great use, Nanna / Janne can use it ... I think it's fairly obvious why unlocking the critical skill on the Thunder Sword is a good idea. Getting it is also not a logistical problem - Sigurd will get plenty of kills on the Hero Sword regardless, the Hero Lance and the Light Sword will only need a few more kills from Ch.4 onward and there's enough enemies that can fall prey to the Thunder Sword to make it worth not just killing them with random weapons. The peg reinforcement in Ch.4 and thracia knights in Ch.5 alone get you more than half of the kills required. There's no reason not to go for it.

If you want to go for the absolute lowest turncount you'd pair up Fury with Levin - it wastes no turns whatsoever thanks to their Ch.4 conversation and is the only pairing possible for Fury under the turn constraints. I don't think LTC strats are fully applicable in this thread's discussion though. Hero Lance!Noish + Thunder Sword!Fury still works out pretty nicely though.

Edited by Yojinbo

If you want to go for the absolute lowest turncount you'd pair up Fury with Levin - it wastes no turns whatsoever thanks to their Ch.4 conversation and is the only pairing possible for Fury under the turn constraints. I don't think LTC strats are fully applicable in this thread's discussion though. Hero Lance!Noish + Thunder Sword!Fury still works out pretty nicely though.

It's not actually possible to get that conversation under true lowest turn count. She has to be on the other side of the map when it happens. Erin needs to be warped to Thove on turn 12 while you don't get the conversation until 14. Unless there is some trick or I'm mistaken, I don't see it being possible.

Having crit on the thundersword might save you on a few uses of it here and there but I don't think it saves any turns anywhere. Sounds like a lot of work for no true benefit. Unless your getting it to near 100 kills I don't see the crit from it being all that reliable.

Edit: Erin is also needed for Jealousy setups so even if you could get the conversation she still wouldn't see any use in the first castle of chapter 4 or chapter 5.

Edited by Valkama

Yeah, even with the help of many Ghaststation (an obscure Fire Emblem YouTuber) memes, the Power of Pursuit and a lone 6/10 vote, Ardan is still our worst-ranking dude on the tier list, with an ABYSMAL 1.85/10 according to 16 voters this time around. I do feel bad for Ardan despite him being a terrible unit. :(

Ah well, it's time for the very first Axe Knight (and one of the very few) in the series, our boy Lex!

Class: Axe Knight (Level 4)
Holy Blood: Minor Neir
Personal Skills: Vantage, Paragon

Class Skills: None
Stats:
33 HP (90%)
10 Strength (40%)
10 Skill (20%)
11 Speed (20%)
9 Defense (50%)
0 Resistance (5%)
8 Luck (20%)

My thoughts: Lex is quite an odd unit in my opinion. For starters, he has some killer all-around base stats, barring Resistance and MAYBE Defense/HP, but except for the latter two and Strength, his growths rates aren't too spectacular (but not absolute garbage, mind you). Now, for his skills. Since he does not have any double-attack skills, he should never attack twice in a single round of combat. However, Lex shares one of his skills with Ardan, which is Vantage, which is quite alright. But, here's what sets Lex above others and into quite an interesting position: his unique skill Paragon. It's quite simple really, he just gains double the experience. The result? He'll gain levels much more quickly than anyone excluding Sigurd in the army and be quite an effective mini-Jeigan thanks to his beastly Defense. This also means that he'll reach promotion much before anyone in the army without the Paragon band, and his gains are quite solid too!

All that's fine and all, but since he can't attack more than once, what's the point? Well, Chapter 1 will turn him into a beast. Thanks to a quite entertaining conversation, Lex will recieve his almighty Brave Axe, which will carry him all the way through the end! This axe is lighter, has some great power, and lets him attack twice in one round with a BIG whack! This is very likely to be the best axe in the game, and if you combine all of this, it's easy to see why most consider Lex to be the best axe-user in the game. Sure, his Res is crap, and his Skill/Speed/Luck will kinda fall back eventually, but because of his weapon, he won't need them that much anyway. Plus, he's MOUNTED! I'll give him an 8.5/10, because he has a slow start without his (almost) personal weapon and still has some flaws, but his pros certainly outweights his cons! :)

Edited by OliKad

Fuck, I had a long post and the power tripped and ate it. Time for another!

So, to the first of the units superior to the Chalphy knights + Midir (over Arden here: can't be a turn before he gets outclassed). It's Hector on a horse! Lex!

Well, we've got a unit weighed down by severely heavy axes, working off alright bases but 20% in speed, skill and luck. He's got no skills for more attacks, while having Vantage. So he's like Arden, only less so in the stats where Arden's strong, and his res sucks. So why would Lex be good? He's gotta be poor, right?

Well, Lex has three things on his side to save him: a horse, Paragon, and the Brave Axe! The Judgral titles really love their big maps and canto's OP, so he's got that going for him.Paragon, however, is where we start to see why Lex is good. Getting double exp means he can get levels, proc stats and promote faster than every other unit (probably the most likely to promote in Chapter 2 as well). Obviously this means each of his attacks will do more sooner. But that alone just allows him to ram the power ceiling earlier, not make him a front line unit. This is where the Brave axe comes in. He gets it near the end of Chapter 1, where he'll have gotten some levels, but one attack a round might be getting to him (and you). Then he pops off, drops an Iron axe and gets both it and the Brave axe, the best axe in FE4. It allows him to double, and possibly one round everything before it can respond in player phase. It's still pretty accurate, has more might, and it's the lightest axe in FE4. With this, he becomes a force to be reckoned with for the rest of the first gen (And all without a ring giving the best skill in the game). As well as all that, he has a good niche of his own. He's the only unit who can use axes from the start (Arden and Lachesis need to promote first), which means he has countering lances down pat (obviously good for Chapters 2, 3 and 4 to a lesser extent). The game also rarely throws swords at you en masse, so Lex doesn't have to worry about them crowding him too often. Even with arguing Lachesis can use the Brave axe really well from promoting, she's got other things she can do, and leaving Lex to using this won't kill you. He does get slowed down in Yied, but all the mounts do. All in all, a solid frontline unit available from early on. Plus he's one of two units who can give Ayra the Brave Sword. (Even if you're pairing her with another unit like Noish).

As a dad, I argue he's at least an alright, if weird choice for any pairing. For Ayra and Brigged, he covers up stat weaknesses pretty well and makes solid units overall. He helps make Lachesis's kids more tanky, which is solid for both of them. For Fury, he actually makes a Sety who take a beating better than most, and Fee likes the defence too. For Sylvia he's good at giving them bulk which they won't get from her. For Tiltyu, he's got one of the more interesting combos in the game of Vantage and Wrath. This means they can take down nearly everything before the opposition can hit them one they're at 50% or below health. And with the defence boost and Tiltyu's pretty good res growth, that's more likely. Unfortunately the growths really aren't that good for them (Similar to Arden), and they wish for magic. Even for Aideen, her kids like the addition of tanking and strength (That and Lester really looks like his kid). Most of these pairs can make use of Vantage batter than he could eventually. And that's without mentioning Paragon, which helps all of these units (especially Corple, Patty, Tinny or Nanna) to get better faster. Unfortunately, he's not a fast parent, he's got more movement than most so is often too far to pair off, and he's also unable to pass on weapons to his son if he didn't take then from a corpse, which is bad because they need to learn commerce somehow.

Overall, I'd rate him 8.5/10. While I do believe I'm biased to rate him that high, he really serves his role well, and thanks to Paragon is a solid choice for a dad too. He's a solid G1 fighter who can dish the damage and reach the fight from turn 2. He might start slipping near the end, but he'll have gotten you to that point and hopefully left some kills to the other units.

Edit: Don't review so late.

Edited by Dayni

Easily one of the best non-Sigurd units. Lex grows quickly due to Elite and gets the brave axe in Chapter 1, which he keeps warm until Raquesis promotes. His contributions throughout Gen I are helpful, and he's definitely one of the best fathers. I like that he can make pretty much all the kids he can father work well to some degree.

He slows down after Chapter 3 (especially since Raquesis is using his axe now), but he can still prove to be helpful. 8/10, +.5 bias for being one of my favorite Gen I dudes. 8.5/10

(Also I hope you get rid of the comma in Ardan's ranking. =w=)

Edited by Zeems

If he has the Brave Axe, he's great.

If not, he's very mediocre, in a niveau of Alec and Noish.

Anyways I rate him with the Brave Axe.

He can take out mages without taking counterdamage which is great.

Thanks to his excellent defense he serves as a good wall.

He has two excellent skills although he can only benefit from paragon. This skill makes it easy to give him levels. Vantage doesn't help him much because he can't oneround 95% of the enemies with melee range weapons (unless you give him pursuit and a speed ring). However it's a very good skill for Ayra's children for example. Pairing up with Ayra is probably the best choiche because his strength and her speed are a welcome addition for their children.

Lex is one of the best fathers in the game. He's good for pretty much everyone except Aideen. (ironically it's the support I had to do in my FE4 run... but oh well...)

8/10

Edited by Ayama Wirdo