Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment Out on Switch/PC

Jedi

On 4/21/2017 at 6:36 PM, Dai said:

I've had some frame rate hiccups. Anyone else have that? I'm on the wii u.

Sorry, I can't say I have. And I'm also playing the Wii U version.

On 4/21/2017 at 2:21 PM, Jedi said:

If any of you need help I can probably give tips or suggestions.

I appreciate the offer, but...

WVW69kRcBwMj7ponYB

WVW69kRCRlUB8RPrUx

WVW69kRAUy0BlHabzW

I kind of went a little crazy over Specter of Torment during the weekend. I do sincerely appreciate your offer for help, though.

I was wondering, if you happened to do a speedrun of Specter of Torment, what was your record time? Mine is as follows:

WVW69kRbL1YEzr2kBX

Still waiting, still waiting... The sigh.

On 24/04/2017 at 7:32 AM, Randoman said:

Sorry, I can't say I have. And I'm also playing the Wii U version.

I appreciate the offer, but...

Reveal hidden contents

WVW69kRcBwMj7ponYB

WVW69kRCRlUB8RPrUx

WVW69kRAUy0BlHabzW

I kind of went a little crazy over Specter of Torment during the weekend. I do sincerely appreciate your offer for help, though.

I was wondering, if you happened to do a speedrun of Specter of Torment, what was your record time? Mine is as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

WVW69kRbL1YEzr2kBX

Awawa ? That's just too awesome.

Played it, beat it, enjoyed it, played NG+, beat it, enjoyed it, also LPed it blind. Yes, my first run through is going up on youtube and my live reaction to the game is there for the world to enjoy.

I beat Specter of Torment. The mechanics are fun. Running and jumping off walls and slashing through enemies feels faster and more dynamic than Shovel Knight. The remixified levels, music, and story are a treat. However, a lot of the bosses are still pretty cheap, even if they're more varied than before. I really like the Rail Mail armor that lets you grind on any surface, including spikes. Specter of Torment might be my favorite Shovel Knight game so far. So glad I got it for free.

Did anyone else beat that randomly generated tower minigame? That was really hard, but really satisfying to conquer.

39 minutes ago, Zera said:

Did anyone else beat that randomly generated tower minigame? That was really hard, but really satisfying to conquer.

I also beat it, since I wanted to complete Specter of Torment 100%. It took me around 6-8 attempts to beat it the first time if I can recall correctly.

What stage did you get the "No Damage" feat on? I'm trying to do it on Pridemoor Keep (Judgment Rush FTW), but I'm having trouble at the room with 3 mages, as well as King Knight himself. (Although the Chronos Coin is definitely the solution.)

• 2 weeks later...

TBH, I'm pretty good at all the stages, because if I weren't the speedrun wouldn't be possible. I'll share some of my strategy though.

The only curios I get/upgrade are Dread Talon, Will Skull, Throwing Sickle, Chronos Coin, Hover Plume, and Judgement Rush.
Dread Talon insta-kills armored enemies so they don't slow me down. Also, it kills that annoying giant fish.
Will Skull is the must-have free health item.
Upgraded Throwing Sickle can hit bosses twice, racking up big damage on slow/stationary bosses.
Chronos Coin makes ALL bosses WAY easier.
Hover Plume is for a few room skips, or a panic button.
Judgement Rush is a god-tier speedrunning tool if you know where to use it.

The biggest flaw with my speedrun, by far, was not knowing that the curios unlock based on which stages clear.
http://shovelknight.wikia.com/wiki/Curios
So if I did another run, I'd want to clear the Flying Machine much earlier for Judgement Rush.

Ah, I personally only got the Will Skull, since i felt like getting any other curios would be too time consuming for the speed run and I didn't want to add so much as 10-20 seconds if possible. Yeah, the Will Skull did technically add around 10-20 seconds to get, but I only made an exception for it since it'd reduce the amount of resetting and reloading that I'd do from dying. 

As for the curios shaving more time than they cost, I guess for players that know how to use a lot of the curios well, that makes sense. Though for me, in Specter of Torment I mainly only use the Will Skull and Hover Plume while occasionally using the two throwing scythe curios. By the time I saw you post about how to effectively use the Chronos Coin and Judgement Rush effectively, I already completed Specter of Torment 100%. Besides the 4 curios I mentioned previously, I really couldn't think of particularly effective ways/areas to use all the other curios (I thought for sure the Chronos Coin would be disabled during bosses, so I didn't even try it there).

Also, I thought I'd give you this useful tip for when you try to speedrun King Knight's campaign or any other campaigns you haven't spedrun through yet: I personally make a backup of a speedrun save file every time I complete a level. The reason for that is every time you load a game file, it'll actually add a few seconds and save it automatically (which if you quite and reload a lot for particular levels you have trouble in, it'll really add up). It gets particularly bad when there's wandering enemies on the map screen when you load. So essentially, every time I quit and reload, I copy the speedrun file with the lower time (even if it is only 1-5 seconds more than the other file), save it over the file with the higher time, and load from there. Sure, that may be a miniscule amount of time added overall to your speedrun, but since you barely shot over the 90 minute mark in your Specter of Torment speerun, I think it'd be a useful technique for you to know next time.

That's a cool tip, but it literally took me only two runs to get the feat. SoT is not an extremely demanding game for execution, so I seldom make mistakes. The scariest moment for me would be those propeller monkeys in The Flying Machine. The rest of the level is nothing.