Some advice for FE7

Harvey

GUYS. This is a FIRST RUN which will be ENM. Don't forget context!

If Lyn's killing things at a decent clip, there's no need to drop her. The mantra I had for FE7 is "if a unit is doing well, keep 'em on the team". It leads to some. . .interesting compositions!

Ok so I finished Lyn's story which is a bit touching by the way( I now kinda like Lyn). However, it still didn't teach some of the stuff you said it would teach like how a general can take less damage from the Mani Kati...or from a basic sword in general. And how the critical rate differs for each unit. Or how certain units are able to attack twice compared to the others....

So none of my units died. So will they maintain their growth rates or will they start from Lv 1?

I'm assuming you have to read the booklet which would most likely explain all of that which is what I kinda asked for...but oh well.

But mind you, that doesn't make Lyn's mode a flawed one. Infact, the tutorial mode is brilliantly done. I also like how the chapters have a lot of variety compared to Binding Blade. Wonder if escape chapters are here as well...

Lyn sure as hell doesn't measure up to Ryoma or Rutger. The former is 5 times bulkier before even counting avo (which Lyn is worse at), and the latter has stellar crit rates and is above average as a bosskiller, both of which she has on average or below. Rutger is also bulkier and more evasive than Lyn, having better bases, and getting both his promo item earlier and better promo gains.

Ok so I'm a bit confused here. She's a bad unit or a good one? From the looks of her, she's basically a Myrmidon so that would mean that technically she should have high skill and avoid right? Or is it that because she's a lord, its dumbed down. If she's dumbed down, then how is she that bad of a unit?

And again, I remember some member here who mentions that she's a bad unit.....not able to see how exactly she's that bad...

Edited by Harvey

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, not explained in a booklet!

The actual equations are on SF, here. The tl;dr is that Lyn's Strength isn't OMGAMAZING (she won't beat a comparatively-leveled Sain on average), and swords into lances means less damage.

For critical rates, that's promoted units only, and something that I wouldn't worry about for the time being. The game will outright tell you each unit's critical chance.

The double attack formula is "do you outspeed your opponent by at least 4?", with weapon weight being A Thing if you have a unit with lower CON. In other words, more speed is better, and don't give your low CON units super-heavy weapons.

I'll let you figure out what each chapter's objective is. It's a lot more varied than FE6, that's for sure!

Fire Emblem has the most remarkably simple stats of any RPG in existence (one of the things that makes me love it so much) but what exactly goes in the doubling is really complicated that would more than likely confuse a player then it would actually help them, to try to explain it, it's best learned by experience. Same with weapon triangle bonuses oh my goodness that would go over an beginning players head. This is the kind of stuff you learn as you master the game not as you're beginning it.

In Lyn mode your progress will be carried over exactly into the next mode, stat boosters, levels and all, the only difference is there weapons will be new and most notably Mani Katti gets a refill

I'll let the objectives be a surprise....

Harvey do not worry how good some units are, in normal mode you can use literally everyone even Wallace as much as I do not recommend you do that (Owsin is better in every conceivable way, and this is coming from someone who likes Wallace). Lyn is a decent unit altogether, she is not a god and she's not one of this games better units. But she still pretty good and completely usable even on higher difficulties. Harvey remember there is such thing as a medium Lyn is average and average does not mean bad it means average.

Edited by Locke087

Don't rush into knowing all of FE's stuff from the get go. Go through the basics that Lyn Mode teaches, once you've mastered it go slowly for more advanced stuff like terrain, supports, formulas, etc. The main idea is to grow with the game and get to know everything of it as a learning process rather than having a big sheet of formulas and looking up on it every time you face some trouble in the game. So just play and enjoy it ~

By the way, when LM units return they mostly come back with the stats and levels you left them. These units include: Dorcas, Serra, Matthew, Erk, Lucius, Nils and Wallace. Other units like Lyn, Sain, Kent, Florina, Wil and Rath will be slightly raised by the game if you don't use them, they'll be around lv 5 or something. Their inventory is fixed.

Ok so I'm a bit confused here. She's a bad unit or a good one? From the looks of her, she's basically a Myrmidon so that would mean that technically she should have high skill and avoid right? Or is it that because she's a lord, its dumbed down. If she's dumbed down, then how is she that bad of a unit?

Bolded: She's mostly an okay unit. What I'm saying is she isn't comparable to the likes with Rutger and Ryoma. They are top tier. Lyn is roughly mid tier.

Italics: she doesn't get +15 crit like swordmasters do and gets bows in exchange. Her avo allows her to dodge-tank well at weapon triangle advantage, but otherwise it's too unreliable because her defensive parameters aren't good. (The same is true of the other swordmasters in this game, but they're a bit bulkier than Lyn)
Edited by Gradivus.

Some of the late game maps are fairly big but not quite as big Blinding Blade, also late game enemies tend to be fairly underpowered especially on normal, this game is generally easier than Binding Blade.

There's maybe three major big maps. Of them, one of them has enemies that look scary but aren't (compare your unit's stats to theirs). One is literally #YOLO. And the last one is more of an endurance match, but it's still plenty doable.

All three maps are late in the game.

Edited by eggclipse

(The same is true of the other swordmasters in this game, but they're a bit bulkier than Lyn)

That's only true of Guy. Karel/Karla have bad HP (Karla especially), as well as worse res/avo, and only slightly more def... all before considering their worse support situation. Guy I'll grant you is bulkier, but only on HHM is the difference that significant.

I cleared chapter 13x and I'm wondering if I always have to use Merlinus in battle inorder to send items to him from shops.... I didn't had to in binding blade but I wonder if that's not the case.

Yeah, you can't send items to the convoy if Merlinus is not deployed.

Yeah, you can't send items to the convoy if Merlinus is not deployed.

What? So I have to send him over and over again for each map where there's shops and armory?!?! Why did they downgrade one feature that was fine in FE6?

Does that mean I have to deploy him in every single chapter if I get rewards from villages/cleared chapters!?!?

Edited by Harvey

What? So I have to send him over and over again for each map where there's shops and armory?!?! Why did they downgrade one feature that was fine in FE6?

Does that mean I have to deploy him in every single chapter if I get rewards from villages/cleared chapters!?!?

Correct protecting Merlinus is part of the game, if your units get too full and you need to send an item to convoy you better have Merlinus on map. In fact for every chapter were he survives he gains experience points and levels up so there is an extra incentive to keep him alive. But with clear chapters items you receive I think you're good I can't really recall this one exactly but I'm pretty sure that it always sends the convoy I don't know I usually keep my Merlinus alive. This is a bit of a of a divisive feature but I like it I think it adds to the strategy, got to protect your merchants and convoy. Oh and by the way he does not take a deployment slot so don't worry about that. Edited by Locke087

Don't worry about Merlinus. While it is true that he can be a little hard to guard sometimes, all you really need to do is make sure you always keep a strong unit (like Hector or Oswin) within a few tiles. The enemies that come after him are actually a really good source of EXP, so you don't have to worry about your guard unit(s) missing out on the battle.

Yeah, but you'll probably want to bring him to every map you can. You need him for item management, and he gains a level in each chapter where he is deployed, so he can become (somewhat) sturdy compared to his FE6 counterpart.

Oh and by the way he does not take a deployment slot so don't worry about that.

Ahh, thank god! I was worried about that part only. I couldn't careless about taking care of him since doing that would make it easier to train units like Guy.

btw, I get what you meant by how dynamic the gaiden chapters are and I quite liked 13x. Its short, simple and the map is very creative at the same time! Plus you can get easy money thanks to Marcus.

There's also zero reason to NOT deploy Merlinus since there's no penalty. He doesn't waste a deployment slot. He doesn't die if his HP reaches zero and can even be deployed again. For every map he survives, he gains a level and later promotes to a mobile convoy.

The only thing that sucks about Merlinus are his Support options.

btw, I get what you meant by how dynamic the gaiden chapters are and I quite liked 13x. Its short, simple and the map is very creative at the same time! Plus you can get easy money thanks to Marcus.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, though to clarify what I said while I do certainly feel that most of the chapters including the gaidens chapter in this game are dynamic and very fun (thanks in part to the optional objectives provided by the existence of earned gaidens). What I meant by earned gaidens (along with alt chapters) making the game dynamic is, by having loads of earned optional content the game as a whole feels more dynamic to me because each playthough can be a little bit different especially if I do Iron Man. Add this on top of the alternate campaigns of Hector and Eliwood available and you got a very dynamic game and in my opinion is the most replayable FE. (also 7 technically did for three games first and I didn't have to pay for each of them, lol I know it's a different but I had to make the jab. Five bucks says if the game is remade they separate the versions and try to sell you both for them).

I'm sad that this kind of thing is only present in 4 FE games, 5 (which I have played yet, i'm waiting for a decent translation) 6, 7, & 12 and it only has like five and they are very insubstantial and annoyingly designed. The ones in 13 & 14 don't feel dynamic or really earned since how you earn them isn't related to the maps at all just supports. Alternant chapters are even rarer and only really appear in 6, and 7 ( maybe 5 I don't know I haven't played it yet), I guess 10 has something kind of similar to them with its new game plus but that only really changes the characters you can recruit not so much the maps. It would've been awesome if the games overtime had expounded on this concept instead of ditching it.

Edited by Locke087

Lyn is a sword master and all but name but she definitely not anywhere near the region of OP that Ryoma and Rutger are especially early on, Also weapons are actually balance in this game therefor steel lances (which couldn't hit the broadside of a barn in Binding Blade) will actually hit her same with faster sword units. As for being able to wipe out Armies later on in the game you can give her terrain tile and watch her destroy, but she will never reach the level of chuck at map it doesn't matter where and your problems will be solved that Ryoma does, that and Birthright is just downright way easier game.

As to whether you should replace her I definitely do not recommend that on a first Playthough as she is forced in several chapters and with a possible except of Karel, she is the best sword master in the game. Blazing Sword is a highly balance to game as far as it's units go I would argue the most balanced in the series. You can use anyone you dang well please only people I recommend you avoid like the plague are Wallace and Karla (Nino is definitely not efficient, but is one of the better Ests). Fighters and Archers also maintain their classes inherent weaknesses though they are completely usable in this game. Just have fun don't really worry about it you're playing through a normal you'll be fine!

I disagree with Birthright being easier - sure, you may point at Ryoma, but can you really say that a game where virtually anyone can be a Ryoma, so to speak, is harder??? On top of that, FE7 didn't stick you with a bunch of units who had crap for defense, and often low HP to go with that.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I disagree with Birthright being easier - sure, you may point at Ryoma, but can you really say that a game where virtually anyone can be a Ryoma, so to speak, is harder??? On top of that, FE7 didn't stick you with a bunch of units who had crap for defense, and often low HP to go with that.

You might have a point if we about normal mode in comparison to birthright Hard/Lunny (seriously Lunny has so few differences it basically is the same difficulty) ... but other than Ryoma you also have other amazing units like Takumi, Corrin, Azura (who you get early on), Ninjas, and your starter servant. Then have people there slightly less incredible but still good like Hinoka, Sakura, Oboro, Silas, Hinata, Shura, Scarlet, Reina (Who does her job while she's good). Then you have Hana and Kaden who indeed are very fragile and risky but can do a lot of damage. (idk about kids I tend to use them as fillers) But yeah the rest range for a mediocre to trash.

While 7 has better tanks at the start (Hector and Owsin) it's non tank units are still very fragile (though Guard Naginata plus Oboro, Silas or Hinoka equals good tank), the HP was about the same, it's Awakening that has stupidly skyhigh HP. Birthright also has weaker enemies a dancer at the very beginning, ninjas (this should need no explanation), a healers that can heal at a distance, units that do more damage on average to balance out the lack of tanks, infinite weapon uses meaning infinite uses of Reaver weapons and Bane weapons, an exhaustive supply of cash to buy them with. Weapons that buff you for no reason, simplistic maps and objectives, on that and battle before dawn by itself is harder than any map in the entirity of the game even chapter 23 which really isn't that hard, and Camilla map of bull crap explosions. The lack of tanks in favor of more damage dealers fits birthrights wanted pace of just killing everything in sight because every map as route or kill the boss (mostly route). And then you have all the accessory stuff like tonics the mess room, among other things, also in blazing sword you have to go you're out of your way to shop, shopping doesn't come to you, you come to shopping. I also don't buy the excuse that "you can make anyone Ryoma" when most units I mentioned above can be monsters as well as the ones in 7 can on easier difficulties, especially Corrin and Takumi. This is all assuming that we are doing a no-grind run (which is way easier and more convenient the arena grinding which I never do). While Birthright is harder than Awakening (when it's not being absolutely bull crap), and Sacred Stones, it is not harder then 7 especially if you're going for completion because the game not only encourage you to beat it's maps but to play them well.

Edited by Locke087

You might have a point if we about normal mode in comparison to birthright Hard/Lunny (seriously Lunny has so few differences it basically is the same difficulty) ... but other than Ryoma you also have other amazing units like Takumi, Corrin, Azura (who you get early on), Ninjas, and your starter servant. Then have people there slightly less incredible but still good like Hinoka, Sakura, Oboro, Silas, Hinata, Shura, Scarlet, Reina (Who does her job while she's good). Then you have Hana and Kaden who indeed are very fragile and risky but can do a lot of damage. (idk about kids I tend to use them as fillers) But yeah the rest range for a mediocre to trash.

While 7 has better tanks at the start (Hector and Owsin) it's non tank units are still very fragile (though Guard Naginata plus Oboro, Silas or Hinoka equals good tank), the HP was about the same, it's Awakening that has stupidly skyhigh HP. Birthright also has weaker enemies a dancer at the very beginning, ninjas (this should need no explanation), a healers that can heal at a distance, units that do more damage on average to balance out the lack of tanks, infinite weapon uses meaning infinite uses of Reaver weapons and Bane weapons, an exhaustive supply of cash to buy them with. Weapons that buff you for no reason, simplistic maps and objectives, on that and battle before dawn by itself is harder than any map in the entirity of the game even chapter 23 which really isn't that hard, and Camilla map of bull crap explosions. The lack of tanks in favor of more damage dealers fits birthrights wanted pace of just killing everything in sight because every map as route or kill the boss (mostly route). And then you have all the accessory stuff like tonics the mess room, among other things, also in blazing sword you have to go you're out of your way to shop, shopping doesn't come to you, you come to shopping. I also don't buy the excuse that "you can make anyone Ryoma" when most units I mentioned above can be monsters as well as the ones in 7 can on easier difficulties, especially Corrin and Takumi. This is all assuming that we are doing a no-grind run (which is way easier and more convenient the arena grinding which I never do). While Birthright is harder than Awakening (when it's not being absolutely bull crap), and Sacred Stones, it is not harder then 7 especially if you're going for completion because the game not only encourage you to beat it's maps but to play them well.

Battle Before Dawn is only hard because it's absolutely bullshit. The Mess Hall is unreliable for a majority of the game (only affects half your army until level 3, and it's also dependent on the cook). Anyways, my "almost anyone can be a Ryoma in FE7" comment was largely based around how pathetic FE7 enemies are - it's really saying something when "throw a Sage in the middle of an enemy army and watch them all disapoof" is a viable strategy. It doesn't help that even lategame, unpromoted enemies tend to outnumber promoted enemies by a huge margin, or that enemies tend to weigh themselves down.

Also, I disagree on Nino being one of the better Ests.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Battle Before Dawn is only hard because it's absolutely bullshit. The Mess Hall is unreliable for a majority of the game (only affects half your army until level 3, and it's also dependent on the cook). Anyways, my "almost anyone can be a Ryoma in FE7" comment was largely based around how pathetic FE7 enemies are - it's really saying something when "throw a Sage in the middle of an enemy army and watch them all disapoof" is a viable strategy. It doesn't help that even lategame, unpromoted enemies tend to outnumber promoted enemies by a huge margin, or that enemies tend to weigh themselves down.

Also, I disagree on Nino being one of the better Ests.

Yeah the endgame enemies can be pretty easy but it's not like Birthrights endgame is really that much better I guess the last two chapters can be semi-challenging assume you don't immediately cheese them 23 and 24 like two of only only good chapters in the entire game (I can't remember any others there so boring). But at least in order to not die when I chuck my sage at all those enemies at least I have to put him on a terrain tile, instead of you know just putting him in the middle of a group of enemy and watching them disappear, from the moment Ryoma appears (Corrin can also do this to an extent) really this is only possible to that extent on normal, the hard modes to you can't do this as much, you got to do a little bit more crowd control where as birthright doesn't really change much between difficulty modes. And for the record it's not like Battle Before Dawn is any less bull crap then the stupid explosions (which is just the developers way of saying we don't want to give you enemies that are legitimately challenging so we're just going to take you your heath every so often for shits and giggles). Really that's what it comes down to is that 7 actually has a higher difficulty mode that satisfying to play on Ambien Emblem does not.

As far as Nino goes I guess besides Mozu I can't think of anyone that's better, I guess Corpul/Sharlow doesn't actively detract from your party because of the lack of deployment rates ( it's nothing to do with his increased skills and everything to do with the fact that he costs nothing other than his recruitment which some I guess consider too much to ask.) and has some utility thanks to being a healer, mabye Ross but that's only because of his axe, and Mist is pretty good thanks to bexp. I would say Nino ranks up with those 5 when I said she was on the better ones I didn't mean she was the best one or even in the top ranking I meant that she was one of the usable ones as in, not the piles of utter putrid garbage that most Est are, don't give me wrong all Est are garbage (garbage that like to use sometimes for whatever reason), these ones are a little less so than your average Meg, Est, Wendy, etc.

Ok so I'm at chapter 16 with only Wallace being promoted so far...so should I promote the units when I get the promotional items? Or should I just grind them till lv 20 and then promote them? I feel like I'm in the mid of the game....and I'm a bit paranoid if I can't promote the units I want to use....

Also, how do you promote Lyn, Hector and Eliwood?

Also of note, This is the first time that I actually like using Generals in a Fire Emblem game. Never once have I bothered using them even in Conquest as their mobility and their service to me was meaningless. Oswin certainly feels like home to me!

Edited by Harvey

Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood get their own promotion item, but that's not for a while. Also, thieves can promote, but it's not until VERY late.

[spoiler=Eliwood]Eliwood's promotion is story-based, so just hang tight until it happens

For promoting, it's a matter of taste. I prefer getting units to level 15 or so, but will promote earlier if I really need the extra stats (usually, I don't). If your play style is relatively slow, it's VERY possible to hit 20/20. 16 is the "start" of the middle of the game, but the maps get really big towards the end - in other words, more experience!

But the maps get really big towards the end - in other words, more experience!

Wait..I thought you said there are only a few maps that are big in this game.

The reason why I'm asking this right now is simply because I'm in chapter 16 and I haven't gotten a promotion item besides one Knight Crest...should have saved it when I had the chance.do s

Granted, my units are still close to reaching lv 15 but really I'm stuck with Guy here and so far, he's not dodging as much as Rutger and he can only do so much damage with a Killing edge and that's just about it. So should I promote him to 10 like Rutger or wait till later?