Some advice for FE7

Harvey

Well, I'm not sure I'd really consider it hard, but I'd definitely consider it annoying. Remember the disappearing bridges in FE6 chapter 14x? They're back.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not sure I'd really consider it hard, but I'd definitely consider it annoying. Remember the disappearing bridges in FE6 chapter 14x? They're back.

*They're worse.

(personal opinion, ofc, but at least FE6's implementation was kinda predictable)

It might be annoying but on the bright side this chapter is absolutely incredible for training Nino if that's a thing you want to do, and it doesn't have quite as much siege tome spam... its also cool story wise, I have a soft spot for this chapter for that reason (I also unironically love Battle Before Dawn, so I'm weird...)

It might be annoying but on the bright side this chapter is absolutely incredible for training Nino if that's a thing you want to do, and it doesn't have quite as much siege tome spam... its also cool story wise, I have a soft spot for this chapter for that reason (I also unironically love Battle Before Dawn, so I'm weird...)

I'd disagree with Night of Farewells being incredible for training Nino on two counts - the gimmick being infuriating, and the fact that this is FE7.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, December 17, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, December 17, 2016 - No reason given

WHAT?!

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

It's a lot less annoying than its FE6 incarnation. Bring a spare flier, just in case someone gets stranded in the water. Otherwise, you can take your time and train people.

I beated the chapter without any fliers here. Not so hard when you have a bolting to spare and with Pent alongside.

And yeah I agree, this chapter is a WHOLE lot more balanced than that stupid one in binding blade. The one in Binding Blade places those tiles every single damn turn unlike in this one where it doesn't and you have to deal with that idiot(whose sprite does not match his illustration btw) shooting you that Bolting within the first few turns. Here its very tolerable because you get someone with a good resistance unlike how you don't get that same one in binding blade.

Really, there's no reason to train Nino or the other Mages when Pent still feels like the better mage overall. Just saying....

So btw, I got Hector promoted and I'm wondering...when does he do that axe swing? You know...the axe swinging thing?

I'd disagree with Night of Farewells being incredible for training Nino on two counts - the gimmick being infuriating, and the fact that this is FE7.

?????? I don't understand what these two things have to do with anything, you can still get Nino a lot of levels if that something that you feel like doing, because there's a ton of choke points for Nino to take pot shots at people and kill them.... I never said it was a good thing to do, it's just something you can do for varieties sake. I think training Ests is kind of fun sometimes in the challenge run kind of way. If you're crazy like me and you want to do this for the sake of a unique run with a different unit this is the best place to train her that's all I was saying.

Edited by Locke087

?????? I don't understand what these two things have to do with anything, you can still get Nino a lot of levels if that something that you feel like doing, because there's a ton of choke points for Nino to take pot shots at people and kill them.... I never said it was a good thing to do, it's just something you can do for varieties sake. I think training Ests is kind of fun sometimes in the challenge run kind of way. If you're crazy like me and you want to do this for the sake of a unique run with a different unit this is the best place to train her that's all I was saying.

FE7 enemies generally being weak is easily as much of a point against her, if not more so than it'd be a point for her - when your units can generally kill enemies just by staring hard, Nino doesn't really have much chance to get exp. And the bridge gimmick being annoying just makes Night of Farewells a terrible chapter to devote to being a Nino training ground, as if the weak enemies weren't bad enough for her.

FE7 enemies generally being weak is easily as much of a point against her, if not more so than it'd be a point for her - when your units can generally kill enemies just by staring hard, Nino doesn't really have much chance to get exp. And the bridge gimmick being annoying just makes Night of Farewells a terrible chapter to devote to being a Nino training ground, as if the weak enemies weren't bad enough for her.

What chapter is better in your opinion? I'm not saying it's a good idea to train Nino, I just usually find this best place to start if it's something you want to do, as I usually have quite a few units that will not kill everything in one round by equipping them with iron or slim weapons... Edited by Locke087

What chapter is better in your opinion? I'm not saying it's a good idea to train Nino, I just usually find this best place to start if it's something you want to do, as I usually have quite a few units that will not kill everything in one round by equipping them with iron or slim weapons...

Well, there's Cog of Destiny, where I don't have to worry about disappearing bridges (of course, with Nino being as underleveled as she is, you'd have to hurry about it...). Also, it just might be the units I use, but by that point, I find most enemies unable to survive one go-around with my units even if they're using iron weapons.

Well, there's Cog of Destiny, where I don't have to worry about disappearing bridges (of course, with Nino being as underleveled as she is, you'd have to hurry about it...). Also, it just might be the units I use, but by that point, I find most enemies unable to survive one go-around with my units even if they're using iron weapons.

Well I tend to use almost everyone in this game, but I think it's more due to the fact that I am super OCD about experience in this particular game and tend to have even level units, so no one's really high-leveled by this point (I also sometimes save up slim weapons just for this occasion). That and I have a knack for leveling Est's, i.e. I was able to level Sophia of all people on my first playthough Binding Blade with minimal resets. I usually find Cog of Destiny to be a death sentence for baselevel Nino she needs to have at least three or four more levels under her belt in my experience, who knows haven tried it recently. Edited by Locke087

Well I tend to use almost everyone in this game, but I think it's more due to the fact that I am super OCD about experience in this particular game and tend to have even level units, so no one's really high-leveled by this point (I also sometimes save up slim weapons just for this occasion). That and I have a knack for leveling Est's, i.e. I was able to level Sophia of all people on my first playthough Binding Blade with minimal resets. I usually find Cog of Destiny to be a death sentence for baselevel Nino she needs to have at least three or four more levels under her belt in my experience, who knows haven tried it recently.

Bold: I'd agree if you were talking HHM specifically, since it's mages everywhere - I doubt it'd be that bad otherwise.

CoD is actually one of the worst chapters for [base] Nino, in any mode, because:

1. Taking her to the left side means she's prone to get rekt by ballistae or rekt by any myrmidon, sniper or mercenary/hero. So nope there.

2. Taking her up north is a huge risk given you're facing a longbow trooper, which is a death sentence to her. Knights one shot her with silvers by enemy phase. Although she might find some space at rounding melee knights, she'll have trouble with so many mounts and reinforcements.

3. Turtling is not viable because Vaida and wyverns appear quite early and they'll one shot her as well, and she won't kill them in return.

In HHM she'll have it worse because it is a more hostile map.

That being said, Night of Farewells is the must train Nino chapter, else you'll have a hard time with her.

CoD is actually one of the worst chapters for [base] Nino, in any mode, because:

1. Taking her to the left side means she's prone to get rekt by ballistae or rekt by any myrmidon, sniper or mercenary/hero. So nope there.

2. Taking her up north is a huge risk given you're facing a longbow trooper, which is a death sentence to her. Knights one shot her with silvers by enemy phase. Although she might find some space at rounding melee knights, she'll have trouble with so many mounts and reinforcements.

3. Turtling is not viable because Vaida and wyverns appear quite early and they'll one shot her as well, and she won't kill them in return.

In HHM she'll have it worse because it is a more hostile map.

That being said, Night of Farewells is the must train Nino chapter, else you'll have a hard time with her.

I don't see Night of Farewells as any better because:

1: Wyverns start out charging you down, and you have limited room to work with.

2. The bridges disappear, meaning that if you're not careful, Nino winds up like a beached whale. It goes without saying that this can be a huge annoyance when turtling.

3. Long range magic and status staves (and ballistae on Eliwood mode - don't remember if Hector mode has them).

I do agree HHM CoD is TERRIBLE for Nino, though.

Also, aren't Vaida and her goons a zone-related thing as well?

I don't see Night of Farewells as any better because:

1: Wyverns start out charging you down, and you have limited room to work with.

2. The bridges disappear, meaning that if you're not careful, Nino winds up like a beached whale. It goes without saying that this can be a huge annoyance when turtling.

3. Long range magic and status staves (and ballistae on Eliwood mode - don't remember if Hector mode has them).

I do agree HHM CoD is TERRIBLE for Nino, though.

For instance, both chapters have similar enemies, but at least in NoF:

1. Nino can eat an Iron Lance, dunno a Steel Lance from 1 wyvern and double with either fire or thunder and she can level up really fast, same with the crappy cavs that appear as early reinforcements.

2. While the mechanic is quite annoying, a flier can solve this by rescue/take/drop. What softens the difficulty of this chapter is that your main group is one big mass of units while in CoD you'll have to split it in 3 or even 4 groups, which makes it harder to recover from any mistake.

3. These can be handled by trained fliers, though. They are a risk, specially the sniper ballista, because the bolting mage is quite far away and isn't the same level of harm. And the berserk staff will target low res units such as Guy, Oswin, Raven, etc., she will be in low priority.

The chapter is quite troublesome but low levelled units, some chip and/or hit, dance and kill strat will make it easily for her to get stronger. Thanks to her growths she'll be pretty good at player phases. Once she gets enough avoid she can go to a forest tile and throw an army at her and watch the level ups, but I'd say if Nino isn't trained in Sonia's chapter then stuff will be much harder for her in the future ones.

Yep, they don't appear until you enter the rectangle defined by (and including) the six forts around the shrine.

So I beated the game and overall, I can easily say this is more fun than Binding Blade and its easily the best game for the GBA period. I feel that everyone should atleast try this game once. I like the game enough that if I were playing it on the virtual console, I'd try out Hector mode and so on.

A lot of these maps have variety in them and are still fun to play with. The tension is good enough that you don't have to stress a huge lot if you start the map over again even for the last few long maps.

Seeing Iwata-san in the credits made me a bit sad after...well you know what happened.

If you're curious of how I beated the final boss, I just used Athos, Eliwood and Hector. As much as I love Lyn, she couldn't give a lot of damage unlike those two.

Just curious though, a lot of people say that Athos can single handedly beat the final boss pretty much solo. How exactly is that possible? Because I used fortify staff as well as the others to beat him.

Oh and the long maps late in the game weren't anywhere brutal compared to the abomination that Binding Blade has.

Just curious though, a lot of people say that Athos can single handedly beat the final boss pretty much solo. How exactly is that possible? Because I used fortify staff as well as the others to beat him.

With Luna.

With Luna.

Expanding on this, it requires Athos get the Body Ring or Speedwing, double the dragon with Luna, Rescue (staff) Nils, Play (refresh) Athos, heal Athos and double the dragon again (30*4=120dmg). If you want, you could crtkill instead with help of Fila's Might and some rigging.

= EDIT =

Canas with max Magic and support bonus (+attck) can replicate this strat as well.

Edited by Quintessence

Sounds like you powered through the worst of it. Congratulations!

Thanks. I was kinda shocked to see Sophia being in chapter 30 but then I figured yeah...this is the prequel of binding blade so that is to be expected.

Actually, I should be thanking you guys for guiding me a bit in this game so thanks to all of you for that. Maybe when I play Hector mode someday, I might ask your advice again.

EDIT: Also...just out of curiosity, if I do get the chance to play Hector mode, how is it like on Normal?

Edited by Harvey

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I was kinda shocked to see Sophia being in chapter 30 but then I figured yeah...this is the prequel of binding blade so that is to be expected.

Actually, I should be thanking you guys for guiding me a bit in this game so thanks to all of you for that. Maybe when I play Hector mode someday, I might ask your advice again.

EDIT: Also...just out of curiosity, if I do get the chance to play Hector mode, how is it like on Normal?

I didn't find Hector mode harder than Eliwood mode. It's the same story from the perspective of Hector, you get a couple of extra maps, and different/expanded dialogues with more character development for Hector and Oswin. It's quite good, if you enjoyed Eliwood mode you will enjoy Hector mode.