Fire Emblem If Fan Translation (Still Alive!)

ShadySheikah

16 hours ago, Kyonko802 said:

Okay first, make sure you hack your 3DS using plailect's guide before updating to 11.3, also, yes, 11.2.0-25E can be hacked.

Second, this patch is only for the Japanese version of the game.

Once you are on custom firmware and have hacked your 3Ds, however, this will not matter, as custom firmware ignores the region locking on your system completely. You have to do some extra steps to set up the DLC though.

If you want help on hacking so you can play the game head to the 3DShacks reddit, you can also find plailect's guide there. If you decide to do it do not disregard any steps, and listen to the warnings that are in the guide. It is safe as long as you follow instructions. Once you start don't stop, if you get stuck on a step pause the process and ask for help on the reddit.

Once you have a9lh and Luma3DS you can safely update to 11.3 without losing any of the new stuff you just got.

I see, thank you very much.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/22/2017 at 7:32 AM, Kyonko802 said:

Okay first, make sure you hack your 3DS using plailect's guide before updating to 11.3, also, yes, 11.2.0-25E can be hacked.

Second, this patch is only for the Japanese version of the game.

Once you are on custom firmware and have hacked your 3Ds, however, this will not matter, as custom firmware ignores the region locking on your system completely. You have to do some extra steps to set up the DLC though.

If you want help on hacking so you can play the game head to the 3DShacks reddit, you can also find plailect's guide there. If you decide to do it do not disregard any steps, and listen to the warnings that are in the guide. It is safe as long as you follow instructions. Once you start don't stop, if you get stuck on a step pause the process and ask for help on the reddit.

Once you have a9lh and Luma3DS you can safely update to 11.3 without losing any of the new stuff you just got.

months a go when i first used the patch on the sites original page when like 10 percent of the supports where translated. the patch was able to work with European special edition or limited edition that i have by using homebrew is that no longer the case. 

On 2/7/2017 at 11:47 PM, ShadySheikah said:

Yep! The patcher will just replace the old files with our updated copies.

Hey ShadySheikah, is it possible to redub this in english and restore the english skinship lines? Thanks a lot for your work :)

Hi all - thanks for your very hard work on this. Is it possible to read the translation, sort of like a script, without having to patch & play the game?

Hey guys, sorry for the hiatus. Long month. :sob:

On 2/14/2017 at 1:09 PM, AnyaByakuya said:

Hello! First of all I want to thank everyone on team if for continuing to work on this project!                                                                                  

I noticed a few errors while playing as the female avatar during my run of the Nohr path and other oddities - the voice I picked is called Proud

-snip-

Finished the Nohrian kingdom path today and this is all I found! I plan on starting the Hoshido path next week and might make a list again since I'll be playing female again

Thanks! I'll add these to our issues board and make sure they get fixed.

On 2/19/2017 at 2:23 PM, seiyaaa said:

Thanks for continuing this project, btw any ETA on My Castle TL completion? Don't really want to continue playing until it's done (no rush though, I can wait).

Sorry, couldn't give you an ETA at this point, but they'll be getting a bump in priority once the rest of the first generation supports are translated.

On 2/21/2017 at 4:52 PM, Oniric said:

Anyway, does this patch also work for the european special edition? I've seen a few other threads that make it sound like it's not possible to do so the same way. I might be wrong, mind you. Furthermore, is it possible to combine patches like the undubbed audio with this one? I'd also like to know if you have to "boot up" the game via the homebrew everytime you want to play the game or if the patch is permanent, it probably is a dumb question. Preparing the DS doesn't seem all that hard, but I rather be sure before I brick the console by accident.

Edit: I almost forget, I've read everywhere that it's compatible with the 11.2.0 version or below, but does this also apply to the 11.2.0-25E?

Thanks for your hard work, much appreciated

It should definitely be possible to apply our patch to the European edition. The biggest difference would be in how the localizations organize their text files. In the original JP version, there was no need to separate the files by language, but the US and EU versions had to separate their files based on region and language.

The second link you posted is a great starting point for making the few changes necessary to make our patch compatible. The only thing you'll need to change is how the files in the "m" folder are organized. You'll need to create a folder called "@U" inside the m, A, B, and C folders, and move all the files into those. You should be able to patch your game, then.

On 3/1/2017 at 1:35 AM, whateverg said:

Hey ShadySheikah, is it possible to redub this in english and restore the english skinship lines? Thanks a lot for your work :)

If you're asking if we can dub this ourselves, then absolutely not. :^_^:

If you're talking about the Fates dub, it's possible, but we don't have anything resembling a patch assembled. If you're interested in giving it a shot, I'd recommend starting by looking at how the content restoration's undub patch is put together. Just grab those same files from your backup of Fates and place them on top of the files in your copy of If. Keep in mind the advice I gave above, however, as it applies here, as well. While the undub patch has a folder called "@E", the JP version has no such thing. Simply move the files out of those folders and delete them.

On 2/22/2017 at 9:32 AM, Icarusu said:

I couldn't tell you for sure, but I can't imagine the mod breaking much. If you give it a shot, let me know how it goes!

On 3/2/2017 at 5:26 PM, arkel said:

Hi all - thanks for your very hard work on this. Is it possible to read the translation, sort of like a script, without having to patch & play the game?

We don't really have a script or something you could use as a companion while you play, unfortunately. If you don't mind a little bit of work, though, it's very easy to convert our patch files into readable text with a program called FEAT. Just drag the "m" folder of our patch onto the program window, and you should get a bunch of text files. You can then run those through a parse-and-preview program (such as this or this). It's not the most ideal solution, but if you're looking for something to read as you're playing the game, it should do the job.

i have some questions about this current project that im confused by due to not finding an answer.

1. this is only being made to work for the japanese version yes? (i unfortunately bought a US copy a month or so back in preparation of this eventual patch)

2. what are my options for using this patch if the above is true?

3. i feel i need to ask this due to having a preference for english VAs, but does this patch use the english voice over despite being made to work with the JP version? (i WAS assuming yes due to seeing claims of "restoring skinship lines" which i know not much about other than its the "face touching" and they have spoken lines during that time. so "restoring" them would be odd if they are already there in the JP version cart.)

Edited by Arc_Ray

Technically, this patch can be used with any region with a bit of file reorganizing. I answered a similar question regarding the European version a couple posts up; the only difference with the NA game is that you'll name your additional folder "@E" instead of "@U".

However, using our patch on a non-JP copy of the game will only change the banner (that rotating model on the home menu), font and in-game text/interface. It won't change what you see in cutscene or confession subtitles, and it won't change the voice acting. It won't restore any content cut from the localization. Also, anything that hasn't yet been translated by us, such as some supports and My Castle lines, will feature the localized text instead.

19 hours ago, ShadySheikah said:

Technically, this patch can be used with any region with a bit of file reorganizing. I answered a similar question regarding the European version a couple posts up; the only difference with the NA game is that you'll name your additional folder "@E" instead of "@U".

However, using our patch on a non-JP copy of the game will only change the banner (that rotating model on the home menu), font and in-game text/interface. It won't change what you see in cutscene or confession subtitles, and it won't change the voice acting. It won't restore any content cut from the localization. Also, anything that hasn't yet been translated by us, such as some supports and My Castle lines, will feature the localized text instead.

guess im kind of up a creek then, i wanted to try the "skinship" thing and have all costumes available while having it in english. oh well

(wait, i still didnt an answer to somebody saying "skinship lines have been restored". like what does that mean?)

Edited by Arc_Ray

There was a content restoration patch in the works the by crew that was working on this patch before us. The project is no longer being worked on, however, and I don't think they ever managed to restore the Skinship mode.

You can find the thread on that project here.

On 3/12/2017 at 5:08 AM, ShadySheikah said:

If you're asking if we can dub this ourselves, then absolutely not. :^_^:

If you're talking about the Fates dub, it's possible, but we don't have anything resembling a patch assembled. If you're interested in giving it a shot, I'd recommend starting by looking at how the content restoration's undub patch is put together. Just grab those same files from your backup of Fates and place them on top of the files in your copy of If. Keep in mind the advice I gave above, however, as it applies here, as well. While the undub patch has a folder called "@E", the JP version has no such thing. Simply move the files out of those folders and delete them.

Yes I was talking about the Fates dub haha 

Ok I'll give it a try, thanks for the pointers, it seems easier to do an english content restoration by doing it through this route (using the japanese version as a base and replacing Japanese audio with english audio) rather than recoding the minigame entirely using the english release as the base. 

Hey everyone. First off, I wanted to thank the team for keeping this project going. Been lurking here for a long time and this is my first comment. I wanted to clarify something and I'm sorry if this is a redundant question, but I may be misinterpreting something. 

On 3/12/2017 at 5:08 AM, ShadySheikah said:

It should definitely be possible to apply our patch to the European edition. The biggest difference would be in how the localizations organize their text files. In the original JP version, there was no need to separate the files by language, but the US and EU versions had to separate their files based on region and language.

The second link you posted is a great starting point for making the few changes necessary to make our patch compatible. The only thing you'll need to change is how the files in the "m" folder are organized. You'll need to create a folder called "@U" inside the m, A, B, and C folders, and move all the files into those. You should be able to patch your game, then.

On 3/18/2017 at 0:32 AM, ShadySheikah said:

So, I'm having trouble understanding these two above quotes because they seem to be in conflict with each other. Like I was saying, I think I'm just misinterpreting something. I have a USA Special Edition copy and I've been following the Fates Restoration thread for a while, but according to ShadySheikah, that project has stalled. The activity in that thread seems to indicate that as well. So, will yall's patch work with a US Special Edition copy? 

On 12/9/2016 at 0:31 PM, ShadySheikah said:

It can, but you'll have to refer to the content restoration project, which you can find over here: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=60728

Basically, when you download the fanslation package from that thread, you'll want to replace the rom folder with the one from our release on GitHub. Then, inside the m folder, create a new folder called @E and dump every file that's not in A, B, or C into that folder. There shouldn't be any files floating around in m; just A, B, C, and @E. Then follow the content restoration tutorial.

Does this above statement still apply in reference to getting the USA version to work with yall's patch?

7 hours ago, Charlotte-M3 said:

So, I'm having trouble understanding these two above quotes because they seem to be in conflict with each other. Like I was saying, I think I'm just misinterpreting something. I have a USA Special Edition copy and I've been following the Fates Restoration thread for a while, but according to ShadySheikah, that project has stalled. The activity in that thread seems to indicate that as well. So, will yall's patch work with a US Special Edition copy?

Our patch files can be used on the US Special Edition copy. To make them compatible, however, you will need to tweak the file structure a bit.

58ec45ac82488_mcomparison.thumb.PNG.3dd128677da2a2d1755044c12612b375.PNG

The above picture is a comparison between the m folder in the Hoshido/Birthright versions of If and in Fates, respectively. Whereas If simply places most of its files inside the m folder itself, the Fates localization places them inside a folder named "@E". All the loose files you see on the left are contained in "@E". The contents of the "A" folder is set up in the same manner: While If simply fills the A folder with files, Fates has another folder inside A also called "@E", where all the files are contained.

Our patch follows If's file structure, with no extra folders. In order to make it compatible with the US special edition, you will need to download our patch, make the "@E" folders yourself, and place the files inside them. You'll probably find a B and C folder, as well; these are for the other story paths and follow the same structure as A.

What I meant in the second quote is that our patch doesn't do anything to the US or EU versions aside from replacing the banner, the font, most of the text, and some interface images. Our patch files contain nothing that would alter the code of the game itself, so those looking for restored content will not get what they want from our translation patch. You can take a look at what our patch does contain on our repo.

Something I should have mentioned before, however, is that the patcher program bundled with our releases, in its current state, is only compatible with the Japanese versions of the game. We're working on expanding the capabilities of the program, but for now, if you'd like to patch a US version, you'll have to find another way to extract and build your own CIA backups. There's plenty of information out there on how to do it; this might lead you in the right direction if you decide to try it yourself.

43 minutes ago, ShadySheikah said:

What I meant in the second quote is that our patch doesn't do anything to the US or EU versions aside from replacing the banner, the font, most of the text, and some interface images. Our patch files contain nothing that would alter the code of the game itself, so those looking for restored content will not get what they want from our translation patch. You can take a look at what our patch does contain on our repo.

does your patch still undub the game so you can have the Japanese voices again or do you have to get that separately. never mind the other page still has an undub and name change patch so new question would they still work alongside your patch.  

Edited by jjiohnson1992

11 hours ago, ShadySheikah said:

Our patch files can be used on the US Special Edition copy. To make them compatible, however, you will need to tweak the file structure a bit.

58ec45ac82488_mcomparison.thumb.PNG.3dd128677da2a2d1755044c12612b375.PNG

The above picture is a comparison between the m folder in the Hoshido/Birthright versions of If and in Fates, respectively. Whereas If simply places most of its files inside the m folder itself, the Fates localization places them inside a folder named "@E". All the loose files you see on the left are contained in "@E". The contents of the "A" folder is set up in the same manner: While If simply fills the A folder with files, Fates has another folder inside A also called "@E", where all the files are contained.

Our patch follows If's file structure, with no extra folders. In order to make it compatible with the US special edition, you will need to download our patch, make the "@E" folders yourself, and place the files inside them. You'll probably find a B and C folder, as well; these are for the other story paths and follow the same structure as A.

Something I should have mentioned before, however, is that the patcher program bundled with our releases, in its current state, is only compatible with the Japanese versions of the game. We're working on expanding the capabilities of the program, but for now, if you'd like to patch a US version, you'll have to find another way to extract and build your own CIA backups. There's plenty of information out there on how to do it; this might lead you in the right direction if you decide to try it yourself.

Okay, I think I understand now. So yall's patch can't restore the cut content to the US Special Edition Man...... what a bummer. I might try installing the patch to see if I can get it to work. I'm certainly interested in the more faithful script that you guys have put together. Is it really true that the Fates Restoration project has stalled indefinitely? I made a post there asking about it, but no one has responded. Do you know of any other teams doing a Fates Restoration? If no one out there is doing it then it looks like I'm selling my special edition copy on ebay or something.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and good luck to you and your team on this project.

@ShadySheikah I was able to follow your instructions to get the patch working on my USA SE cart but my save files are missing chapter info and are just blank, do you know what the offending files for that are? I'm fine with removing them and just having vanilla data there if it's easier. 

I have two questions, I am pretty new to the 3DS scene and just recently brought my n3ds to arm9/cfw;

1) Is it possible to apply this patch to Revelations' dlc in the Japanese version via ntr cfw? (If so, I have a vague idea of how to apply it, but any resources would be appreciated)

2) Do the translations cover map dlc?

Hey there. Just want to let people know that I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that the translation patch, by just using the HANS method  on Homebrew (no CFW), now also seems to work for the third route Invisible Kingdom, which is downloaded DLC for the JP Limited Edition cartridge. For a long time, this was never possible due to Invisible Kingdom being DLC and not actually saved on the cartridge itself, so I don't know what you guys did to make this possible, but I'm very happy with it. Thank you so much.

Edited by Ansatsu