Fire Emblem If Fan Translation (Still Alive!)

ShadySheikah

Hey guys! Sorry it's been a while. Progress has been rather slow-moving for the last few weeks, due largely to many of us gearing up for finals. Things should pick back up in another week or so, and we'll have a lot more to share then.

On 4/12/2017 at 5:24 AM, Kitiara said:

Is it possible to see somewhere the list of the supports that are fully translated? I wanted to pair up units accordingly... Thanks!

Unfortunately, we don't have a list like that at the moment, but I can whip up a simplified copy of the chart we use to track supports. All male/male and female/female first generation supports are complete, so it only covers the first gen male/female: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P3GhQ6NOK1o0wk-s9ZhnM2FMEpSOMAjKiErKaJ1JFKk/edit?usp=sharing

On 4/17/2017 at 6:03 AM, xfelosialx said:

@ShadySheikah I was able to follow your instructions to get the patch working on my USA SE cart but my save files are missing chapter info and are just blank, do you know what the offending files for that are? I'm fine with removing them and just having vanilla data there if it's easier. 

If you're referring to the chapter names on the save files, those should correct themselves after saving again.

On 4/19/2017 at 11:58 PM, Wraid said:

I have two questions, I am pretty new to the 3DS scene and just recently brought my n3ds to arm9/cfw;

1) Is it possible to apply this patch to Revelations' dlc in the Japanese version via ntr cfw? (If so, I have a vague idea of how to apply it, but any resources would be appreciated)

2) Do the translations cover map dlc?

You can use NTR to get the DLC working (we have a guide for that here), but unfortunately, you won't be able to apply the patch with it. You'll need to find a way to patch the DLC files themselves.

Regarding your second point, we haven't translated any DLC aside from the story paths quite yet. We're waiting until we're closer to completing the main game's content before focusing on anything else. Sorry about that!

On 4/26/2017 at 5:40 PM, Ansatsu said:

Hey there. Just want to let people know that I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that the translation patch, by just using the HANS method  on Homebrew (no CFW), now also seems to work for the third route Invisible Kingdom, which is downloaded DLC for the JP Limited Edition cartridge. For a long time, this was never possible due to Invisible Kingdom being DLC and not actually saved on the cartridge itself, so I don't know what you guys did to make this possible, but I'm very happy with it. Thank you so much.

We can't take credit for this, actually! We haven't done anything regarding DLC compatibility with HANS, so there must have been an update to HANS itself or something. Still, I'm glad to hear it's working for you. :D:

On 4/29/2017 at 8:59 AM, machinemaiden said:

Out of curiosity, I noticed you can use the JP version and patch that but you mentioned skinship doesn't work.

If the JP has skinship in by default then does it just apply the translation to it or does it auto skip it like the official localization?

When you apply this patch to the Japanese versions of the game, all lines during the Skinship minigame will be translated. However, since the confession scenes don't have subtitles, we haven't been able to provide translations for them yet. That will change at some point in the future, though. ;):

I did mention a few posts up that applying our patch to a localized version of the game wouldn't bring back Skinship, and this is because the minigame has been stripped from these versions entirely. However, the only effect our patch has on Japanese Skinship is the language shown in the subtitles.

Edited by ShadySheikah

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there, I finally hacked my 3DS with Luma and all that, and was able to get my hands on a .3ds of the Japanese Special Edition. From there, I followed your guide to patch it, and it's done! 

However, I have 2 questions:

1) The game constantly says there is an update available, no matter how many times I tell him to "Download Now" it doesn's seem to do anything. Any idea what the problem could be?

2) Is there any way to access the Japanese Eshop? I'm having some trouble finding CIA files for the DLC (especially since the Neutral Path is a DLC on the Japanese version)

Thanks a lot for your time and work!

7 hours ago, Danielosama said:

Hey there, I finally hacked my 3DS with Luma and all that, and was able to get my hands on a .3ds of the Japanese Special Edition. From there, I followed your guide to patch it, and it's done! 

However, I have 2 questions:

1) The game constantly says there is an update available, no matter how many times I tell him to "Download Now" it doesn's seem to do anything. Any idea what the problem could be?

2) Is there any way to access the Japanese Eshop? I'm having some trouble finding CIA files for the DLC (especially since the Neutral Path is a DLC on the Japanese version)

Thanks a lot for your time and work!

No problem, glad you're enjoying it so far!

Your first question actually ties into the second. The Japanese Fire Emblem If has an update patch available, but that patch is only downloadable on a 3DS with access to the Japanese eShop. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, 3DSs are only able to access the eShop for their designated region. That means while your 3DS might notify you of updates or new DLC for installed Japanese games, there's no way to actually download them using Nintendo's updater or eShop software. You'd have to use your backup files to update the game manually. :(:

15 hours ago, DeadlyEdge said:

I'm here to report a issue.  Chapter VII of Invisible Kingdom seems untranslated.  Thanks.

It sounds like your DLC hasn't been patched with our fan translation. Chapter 7 is the first chapter in Invisible Kingdom that reads from the downloaded content rather than the base game. Right now, our instructions only cover patching the first game, but we're working on providing instructions on patching the DLC files in the next few days, as well. Ultimately, we hope to improve our patcher to automate the process in the future. Sorry about the confusion.

Edited by ShadySheikah

4 hours ago, ShadySheikah said:

No problem, glad you're enjoying it so far!

Your first question actually ties into the second. The Japanese Fire Emblem If has an update patch available, but that patch is only downloadable on a 3DS with access to the Japanese eShop. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, 3DSs are only able to access the eShop for their designated region. That means while your 3DS might notify you of updates or new DLC for installed Japanese games, there's no way to actually download them using Nintendo's updater or eShop software. You'd have to use your backup files to update the game manually. :(:

It sounds like your DLC hasn't been patched with our fan translation. Chapter 7 is the first chapter in Invisible Kingdom that reads from the downloaded content rather than the base game. Right now, our instructions only cover patching the first game, but we're working on providing instructions on patching the DLC files in the next few days, as well. Ultimately, we hope to improve our patcher to automate the process in the future. Sorry about the confusion.

I thought so, but I wanted to be sure. Maybe it's time to invest in a Japanese 3DS :p

I do have the physical European Special Version, and I believe you posted some guidelines to apply the patch to that version, so I might do that for now (and maybe I can add the Undub and Swimsuits patch from the other thread, if it still works that is)

No Skinship though :(

9 hours ago, Danielosama said:

I thought so, but I wanted to be sure. Maybe it's time to invest in a Japanese 3DS :p

I do have the physical European Special Version, and I believe you posted some guidelines to apply the patch to that version, so I might do that for now (and maybe I can add the Undub and Swimsuits patch from the other thread, if it still works that is)

No Skinship though :(

i asked that a while a go and apparently there is no reason why they shouldn't still work

Thanks for the guide it works Kyonko802. :) The guide is a great ref for those who want to know how to patch dlc in general . However, to let you guys know there is an easier way without having to go through the hassle and headaches of patching the game and dlc. If you have luma 7.0+ then you can take advantage of the romfs system that was implemented. The folder structure should be (root of sd card:luma\titles\(gameid)\romfs). Put the patch files in the romfs folder and bam you are done (works with dlc also). I recommend a clean copy of the game and dlc for this. 

On 5/9/2017 at 9:03 AM, TsundereGuyAznMan said:

Thanks for the guide it works Kyonko802. :) The guide is a great ref for those who want to know how to patch dlc in general . However, to let you guys know there is an easier way without having to go through the hassle and headaches of patching the game and dlc. If you have luma 7.0+ then you can take advantage of the romfs system that was implemented. The folder structure should be (root of sd card:luma\titles\(gameid)\romfs). Put the patch files in the romfs folder and bam you are done (works with dlc also). I recommend a clean copy of the game and dlc for this. 

Yeah, my guide is for people who want to permanently patch their CIA, but Luma works just as well. That LayeredFS works great.

Edit: Disregard that it seems luma layeredfs doesn't work with dlc.

Edited by Kyonko802

On 5/9/2017 at 4:50 PM, Kyonko802 said:

Yeah, my guide is for people who want to permanently patch their CIA, but Luma works just as well. That LayeredFS works great.

Edit: Disregard that it seems luma layeredfs doesn't work with dlc.

Yeah my bad for my mistake. It only works for the main game not dlc. Tested up till Chap 6 didn't realize Chap 7 is when the Invisible Kingdom started. 

You can, but it's not the most straightforward process. You'll need to use this program to convert all the files in the "m" folder into text files, do a find/replace on each name in every file where their name is mentioned (making sure to check for case, since their names show up in-code as all-caps), convert the text files back into their original format, and re-patch.

8 hours ago, ShadySheikah said:

You can, but it's not the most straightforward process. You'll need to use this program to convert all the files in the "m" folder into text files, do a find/replace on each name in every file where their name is mentioned (making sure to check for case, since their names show up in-code as all-caps), convert the text files back into their original format, and re-patch.

Damn, well in the end I realised that there are not a lot of names that different, so I'll just roll with it and get used to it sooner or later.

Btw, I noticed some typos here and there, as well as some sentences that were a little confusing grammatically speaking (I am no native English speaker, but I do have a C2 Proficiency level, if that means anything to you :p ).

Where can I report these typos and such?

Sorry for the double post, but I have a couple new things to share!

First of all, we've gone ahead and created a new patcher program to replace the one bundled with our previous releases. While the old patcher required a .3ds backup and Xorpads, the new patcher only requires a decrypted CIA file. It's capable of patching DLC files in CIA format, as well. For those looking to patch their localized copies of Fire Emblem Fates, the patcher will reorganize the patched files to match that region's folder structure. You'll no longer have to mess with the patch's files to make it compatible with your version of the game. This isn't yet true for the DLC, though; I haven't had the opportunity to test this program on out-of-region DLC yet.

Download link: https://github.com/ShadySheikah/IfPatcher/releases

We also added a dlc folder to the patch's repository, which is necessary for the patcher to work with DLC. If you plan on using the new patcher right away, make sure you pull the latest content from the repo. I tested this as much as I could, but there's a good chance I missed some bugs. If you run into any issues, please open an issue on the patcher's issue board. Note that this is separate from the translation's issue board. We won't be officially supporting the patcher until we bundle it with the patch in our next release, and any issues found will be fixed by then.

Which leads me to the next thing I wanted to share. Our next release will be on June 25!

The 25th marks the two year anniversary of Fire Emblem If's release and the beginning of Team If, so we're planning on making this release a worthwhile one. Along with what's already been done, here's what it'll include:

• All first generation supports translated and edited
  • Invisible Kingdom re-revised to fix errors, pacing, and overall readability
  • Thanks to @SciresM, we've been able to get cutscene subtitles working!
    • At least one story path will have subtitles from beginning to end, but we're aiming for all three
  • Fixes for a very large portion of reported issues (many of which are already on the repo)
  • The new patcher mentioned above will be bundled with the release

After this upcoming release, we'll finally be done with the first generation of character supports, leaving only the child supports to translate. But we've still got some work to do on other fronts. We've found a way to get Skinship confessions to display subtitles like they do in Fates (again, huge thanks to @SciresM), but that's still being worked on and won't be ready until later. Before all is said and done, we'll most likely also give the Hoshido and Nohr story routes one more revision pass to keep them consistent with the changes made in Invisible Kingdom. But the good news is that we're getting ever closer to a full translation of the main game.

Until then, look forward the 25th of June!

On 2017-5-15 at 10:42 PM, ShadySheikah said:

We're using the issue board on our GitHub repo to track errors and other mistakes. If you see something that needs fixing, just open up an issue there and we'll get right on it. :D:

This may seem like a weird question but, do I use that issue board when it comes to really hard to follow/understand conversations? Let me explain:

From time to time, the wording and flow of some conversations makes it quite hard to know what's going on, but a second read usually fixes that. However, today I was reading SaizoxOrochi C-A Supports, and I swear to God, I couldn't for the life of me understand what was happening, no matter how many times I read it. I had to watch a video of the localised support to understand (I haven't played the localised game at all).

Now, I know nothing of Japanese, so I don't know how good/bad the localisation of this support is, nor how good/bad your translation is. But I personally had a lot of trouble understanding it, and I'd like to think I have a pretty good English level :>_<:

Which leads me back to my question: do I post on the issue board problems like this?

Thank your your time and your amazing work!

Yep! If you find anything that might be a bug, mis-translation, or editing issue, that's the place to post it. We check both here and the board, but it's much easier for us to track the status of bugs from the issue board.

As for Saizou x Orochi, yeah, that's definitely going to need a second pass, at least. We'll be sure to fix it up before the next commit/release. Thanks for the heads up!

Public Service Announcement:

Sighax and Boot9Strap have been released! If you are running a9lh to play our patch you can update to it easily by following the new guide on the 3DShacks subreddit. It'll be under the subsection "Updating to Boot9strap" in plailect's guide.

As always, be sure to follow all steps to the letter.

If you have an unhacked 11.4 3DS, you can now hack it by using a transfer of an exploitable DSIWare game from a hacked 3DS. The guide has been updated with instructions on how to do so.

If you don't have access to a hacked 3DS that can system transfer and you're feeling brave(or have the money to pay someone to do it for you), you can also hack your 3DS with boot9strap through hardmod.

With the new GodMode9 you can now dump your copy of Fire Emblem Fates or Fire Emblem If super easy. Games will also be able to be decrypted on your computer instead of your 3DS, but further instructions on how to do so are sparse at the moment, so please be patient.

If you are on a9lh I highly recommend updating. Luma3DS will no longer support a9lh and is moving completely over to Boot9strap:

https://3ds.guide/

Edit: Make sure you keep a backup of your decrypted Fire Emblem game until we know the new decrypting method, that way you can still patch it and play it with the new patcher.

Double Edit: Good news is Decrypt9 got updated, so now you can decrypt your game with it just like you did on a9lh. Pretty much no reason left to not update to Boot9strap now. Get your butts in there.

Triple edit: Now GodMode9 can decrypt as well. No excuseeeess go update or you'll end up like the people stuck on Menuhax.

Edited by Kyonko802

Happy anniversary!

Today marks the second anniversary of Fire Emblem If's Japanese release, as well as the creation of the original Team If.

To celebrate, release version 4.2 has been uploaded to our GitHub repo and is ready to download! You can find the link right here and in the OP:

https://github.com/TeamIf/FireEmblemIf-FanTranslation/releases/tag/v4.2

Release Notes:

• All first generation supports (non-children characters) have been translated and edited
  • Subtitles for all cutscenes!
  • Invisible Kingdom dialogue completely re-edited to sound natural and consistent
  • Bundled with our new patcher that simplifies DLC patching

Our old patching program was starting to feel really outdated, so we built a new one with some new features. It requires a CIA backup of either If or Fates, and includes the ability to patch individual pieces of content within one DLC backup CIA. And if you provide the patcher with a localized Fates copy (NA/EU), the program will automatically sort the files based on the game's region, no re-organizing necessary. Unfortunately, if you'd like to patch a .3ds backup, you'll have to stick with the patcher bundled with our previous releases. This patch is still completely compatible, although you'll need to use another tool to patch your DLC.

Credit goes to @Kyonko802 for revising Invisible Kingdom for this release. IK hadn't gotten much editing love up until now, unfortunately, so the text was filled with errors, inconsistencies, unnatural-sounding dialogue, and occasionally game-breaking bugs. With this revision, all of those issues should be resolved for good.

Every first generation support has now been translated and edited; they should all now be at a stage where they're completely readable and easy to understand. It should be noted, however, that the files were worked on by a handful of people, so there are occasions where a character might speak a bit differently from support to support. One of the first things we plan to do is go back and revise a lot of the supports to achieve some consistency in how the characters behave throughout their conversations. That said, the issue shouldn't be too noticeable, and the supports in their current condition are absolutely ready to use.

As always, if you notice any issues, errors, inconsistencies, or anything else that seems off, please leave us a ticket on our issue board and we'll do what we can to resolve them:

https://github.com/TeamIf/FireEmblemIf-FanTranslation/issues

Thank you guys so much for sticking with us for so long! We seriously couldn't do it without your support. We're always looking for an extra hand, so if you know Japanese or have a very firm grasp of the English language, shoot me a PM!

Hope you guys like the release, and here's to an amazing two years!

EDIT: The release is now live! Just follow the link above.

Edited by ShadySheikah
Patch release now live

I'm dead!

In other news, the first half of Invisible Kingdom might still have some shaky parts, as well as Chapter 28.

I WILL be going over it again with a fine tooth comb, but trust me, it's a lot better than it was.