Good "Completed" Anime?

Elieson

List of things that are probably good but people generally haven't seen maybe

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor - basically Inspector Gadget/Great Teacher Onizuka if he were an incompetent space captain

Watamote - Nerdy loser anime girl remains a nerdy loser and suffers for it

JoJo - Homoerotic bodybuilders combat homoerotic vampires using magic powers and homoerotic ghosts

Cromartie High School - Delinquent school featuring Freddy, a gorilla and a robot

Escaflowne - Anime highschool girl enters Game of Thrones but with robots

Mars of Destruction - Simple premise but amazing soundtrack, Beethoven was really on the ball

It's been a while since I watched any but:

Martian Successor Nadesico - it's a parody of almost every 90s mecha anime, yet it also works as a serious work in its own right.

Key the Metal Idol - modern Pinocchio-ish story

And I'll second Escaflowne, too.

Might as well be obligatory FMA guy. Both are good series and dub is strong (er than the original cut). 51 and 64 episodes for FMA and FMA Brotherhood respectively (FMAA does it's own thing after a while, FMAB is faithful to the manga).

Ghost Stories is good (though dated as all hell) for a gag dub, and is essentially an abridged series before those were a thing. 20 episodes total, on Crunchyroll as well.

Monster's a good thriller series with a setting that doesn't tend to show up in anime and strong twists. 74 episodes.

Third vote for Escaflowne here, I also recommend Record of Lodoss War and Gun X Sword.

Edit: I took a look at my anime collection and want to add Trigun, the Galaxy Railways and Trinity Blood. I want to add that Saiyuki is great (if you can't tell by my avatar) but it won't be complete until they make the Blast anime next year hopefully.

Edited by EricaofRenais

What kind of stuff do you like? What have you seen? Anime is a very broad medium.

I enjoy a wide variety because I'm far from a super picky animu enthusiast. Generally, if I can watch it with Tyler, I'm game for it. I'm just tired of jumping into shows like Log Horizon, Seven Deadly Sins, BTOOOM!, Nisekoi, Hyouka, NoGameNoLife and the old school Monster Rancher even. I'm tired of watching shows halfway through and having to wait a year to watch the next portion of the series.

I guess I'd prefer to stay away from 200+ episode serieses, just because watching a show for months takes forever when you watch 3-4 a week.

I've put a MAL together, for at least what I've watched and enjoyed. I've got a little list growing of what to watch, I just have no idea what shows are "done", since knowing that usually gives some kind of spoiler, and I don't like watching shows that I get spoiler'd on, when they're ones I can grind out in a week or two. Your inputs thus far have been super helpful everyone...even Shin!

Edited by Elieson

You need to watch real anime, go for Dragon Ball Z, Samurai X, Saint Seiya, Digimon, Sakura Cardcaptors <3, Sailor Moon. If it isn't dubbed in engurish, screw it, watch it on glorious japanese with subtitles or glorious español latino

Also say hi to your kid from his latino friend, QUINT!

I enjoy a wide variety because I'm far from a super picky animu enthusiast. Generally, if I can watch it with Tyler, I'm game for it. I'm just tired of jumping into shows like Log Horizon, Seven Deadly Sins, BTOOOM!, Nisekoi, Hyouka, NoGameNoLife and the old school Monster Rancher even. I'm tired of watching shows halfway through and having to wait a year to watch the next portion of the series.

I guess I'd prefer to stay away from 200+ episode serieses, just because watching a show for months takes forever when you watch 3-4 a week.

Well then, here's my list of non-mainstream stuff that you might not otherwise hear about:

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - 11 episodes, beginning to end. This one is pretty intense for a non-action show.

Haibane Renmei - 13 episodes, beginning to end. This one's pretty slow and abstract. Really good, but your mileage may vary.

Kemono no Souja Erin/The Beast Player Erin - 50 episodes, beginning to end. It's kind of a kid's show, but pretty mature in its themes and presentation.

Samurai Champloo - 26 episodes. This one is actually sort of mainstream, but it's old enough that people don't talk about it much anymore so I figured I'd list it. It appears you've seen this.

Uta Kata - 12 episodes + 1 sequel special. Opinions on this one are mixed, but I quite liked it. If you enjoyed Madoka Magica, give this one a shot.

Welcome to the NHK - 24 episodes. Is this one mainstream? I'm actually not sure.

Usagi Drop - 11 episodes. While this one doesn't technically finish since the manga goes past where the anime ends, it may as well have because the anime concludes itself nicely and the continuation in the manga is trash that no one likes.

AKB0048 - Two 13-episode seasons. Be warned, this is very anime.

Shinsekai yori/From the New World - 25 episodes. This has been mentioned, but I'm bringing it up again because it's really good, if a bit slow and abstract.

Death Parade - 12 episodes. There's also an extra episode called "Death Billiards" that pre-dates the TV series. It's good, but not necessary.

I grabbed these from my own anime list. I kept it to things I consider definitively completed that I scored 8+, but anything I score with at least a 7 I consider recommendation-worthy, so take a look if you feel like it.

from what you have on your list so far, things you haven't watched but you SHOULD watch would be like:

kyoukai no kanata

tegami bachi

orange

assassination classroom

d.gray-man

sakamoto desu ga

Do you like Mecha series?

GaoGaiGar is a good series I think; it sometimes goes overboard on the stock footage, but it makes up for it with characters/mecha designs/etc.

RahXephon is great; it has a more jigsaw like plot and there is little to no mecha action (most fight scenes only last up to about 3-4 minutes tops too, perhaps even less) and is overall much "deeper" than your average anime. Its best aspects are its artwork, characters, and creativity in regards to its mecha designs, aliens, etc.

Symphogear, while not mecha, is a fun show. I only watched a couple of the early episodes of season 3 before putting it on hiatus, but I watched both seasons 1 and 2 and they were very entertaining.

Fafner: Dead Agressor I feel is very entertaining. Like RahXephon it doesn't have the best nor longest fight scenes ever but that's okay because it's a very character-focused show. A lot of children die in it though :( (EDIT: You can find the entire subbed series on Funimation's youtube channel.)

G Gundam is pretty fun

Highschool DxD

Zeta Gundam's pretty good IMO. Writing's a little wonky at times but overall one of Tomino's better series

Oh and you should totally watch Ideon: Be Invoked. It's a sequel movie to some boring show that was cancelled after a while. Good animation, really wierd ending, but totally insane.

Martian Successor Nadesico - it's a parody of almost every 90s mecha anime, yet it also works as a serious work in its own right.

I second this.

Edited by Pixelman

I see you already have Fate/Zero in your "Plan to Watch" list. Good, it's one of my favorites. Once you're done with that one you should check out "Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works" which is a continuation of the story (technically, Fate/Zero is a prequel while F/SN UBW is an adaptation of the original)

As for others, Dragon Ball Z is a classic, but you said that you want to avoid 200+ episode series. In that case you should watch Dragon Ball Z Kai, which condenses the first ~200 episodes of the series into ~90 episodes. Still a bit of a tall order but much more manageable.

Another good one is the Monogatari Series. They're dialogue heavy and pretty slow, but the banter between the characters is pretty funny and it has some pretty cool story moments. The order you'll want to watch them in is: Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Nekomonogatari Kuro, Monogatari Series Second Season, (I forget where to go from here) and you can watch the Kizumonogatari movies at pretty much any point you want since they take place first chronologically but you don't need to know what happens in them to understand the rest of the series.

Speaking of shows with "gatari" in the title: Katanagatari is also good. It's 12 episodes but each episode is ~45 minutes rather than ~23. Has the same banter as the Monogatari Series (since it's by the same author) but a bit more action and it's more comedy focused. Ending is terrible though, but the rest of the show is good enough to make up for it.

Here's my anime list if you'd like to just pull some stuff off of here. Anything I gave a 7 or higher I'd recommend: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tactician_Geek

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is magnificent. It's also Monarchist, so that helps. It's notable because the heroes are great strategists, not fighters.

I can best describe Monster as "What if Batman and Atticus Finch had a baby, and he went on a mission to stop a serial killer whose life he saved?" It's a great thriller, with a great hero and villain, that incorporates a lot of Cold War history. Part of it is also set in Prague, so that's cool.

Zeta Gundam's pretty good IMO. Writing's a little wonky at times but overall one of Tomino's better series

Zeta's my favorite anime but I wouldn't tell Elieson to watch it without the original MSG.

Granted, the compilation movies are pretty good, but...