Super Smash Bros. Switch Discussion: And the cycle continues again.

Anacybele

The days being hyped and speculating for Smash Wii U and 3DS have come and gone, folks, and now with the Switch coming in a few months as well as it being pretty given that we'll get Smash for it, it's time to start a new hype and speculation party!

Note, I noticed another thread on Smash for the Switch, but it's outdated by like a month and a half, so I left it alone.

Anyway, I'm starting this up because I found this video just now. It says that a leak is saying to expect some new characters for Smash Switch (wow, that's kinda hard to say lol doesn't roll off the tongue very well), though not many. I've watched videos from this guy before, I think he's a pretty good and interesting source since he actually shows proof of his findings right on his computer screen (he uses swear words a bit more often than I'd prefer, but still). So let's start guessing/predicting who'll be among the next batch of newcomers!

I've got a few guesses I think are pretty good. Note, I'm not including peeps like Wolf or the Ice Climbers since I consider them vets. However, I do think they should be returning. Especially the Ice Climbers since the only reason they were cut were technical problems.

- Dixie Kong (DK)
- Inkling (Splatoon)
- Daisy (Super Mario)
- Impa or Vaati (Zelda) (not both, I only see one getting in for now)
- Gen 7 Pokemon
- New FE lord (if a new FE is around at the right time)

I'm probably a little biased with Daisy, but otherwise, these are strictly my predictions, not necessarily my most wanted. My most wanted would be Daisy, Dixie Kong, Vaati, and Ephraim atm. :P

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a DQ character, just SOMEONE.

Preferably Madason Gotha (the protagonist of Dragon Quest V), simply because he has more potential as a playable than the other heroes.

That said, if DQ gets in, the character choice will probably be someone super loved in Japan. Because, you know, the western fanbase is tiny next to the Japanese one.

Also Prince Sable, but that'll never happen. No reason to include a character from an old Japan only Gameboy game from 1992... At least he's an assist trophy.

I can see Ice Climbers and Wolf back, and an Inkling is an obvious newcomer choice with Splatoon's success.

I'd say a new Zelda character is needed (since 4 didn't have anyone new from that series, and Brawl only sort-of did by replacing Young Link with Toon Link). The thing is that series pretty much has its bases covered, but Sheik's inclusion doesn't make one-game characters totally out.... Ravio would be my choice, since his fighting style could be super amusing, given his personality. Or maybe Tetra.

Vaati, Ghirahim, or Yuga work too I guess.

Oh, I'd LOVE Ghirahim, but he's an assist already, so I don't see him having as much of a chance as Impa or Vaati.

EDIT: Ugh, damn it, Integ. >_<:facepalm: (I know it was an accident, but it IS kinda irritating to have to write that whole post again and pull up the video link I had again...)

Edited by Anacybele

Here we go!

First off, the need-to-be-included's:

• Princess Daisy: She's been left out of the fun since Melee when Peach got her colors as an alternate skin, and now she's been bumped in favor of Rosalina. Don't mind if Rosalina stays in, but please include Daisy! I'm thinking her attacks could be based on the sports series of games, seeing as she's mainly a "spin-off character" at this point.
  • While I agree with you on Impa or Vaati, personally I'd like another Link, but this one would use more of the items than the current Link uses. The Fire Rod, Tornado Rod, Ice Rod, Sand... Rod... just give him all the Rods and you'd have a good move set?
  • Isaac from Golden Sun: He NEEDS to get the "Little Mac treatment." As an Assist Trophy in Brawl, his Move move was a bit OP, but perhaps he could rely on his other Adept skills.
  • Hector/Ephraim/Anyone-other-than-a-sword-user/main-character. ...That. Specifically Hector or Ephraim, though.
  • Snake. First third-party character to be dropped, so he should be back.
  • Ice Climbers. Due to the 3DS's limitation, they had to be cut. Now with the Switch as just one system, there's no reason why they shouldn't be back.
  • Takamaru. His skills would be perfect here! He was originally going to be a fighter, but got shoved for Duck Hunt Dog.

Second, the unlikely-ones:

• While the inclusion of Indie characters is a bit iffy at this point, I'd like to see Shovel Knight, Shantae, etc. appear. Even if it's just as an Assist Trophy, it'd be cool!
  • Rayman: The trophy's tease certainly got people hoping and his moves would work well in Smash, I think.
  • Chun-Li: We got Ryu, might as well throw another Street Fighter into the mix. Or at least Akira from Virtual Fighter. Both are plausible.
  • Knuckles. Seriously. Knuckles. Bring on the full force of the Chaos Emerald!
  • Some Dragon Quest character, likely Erdrick, but I'd be cool with anyone. Just as long as they call up an army of Slimes for their final Smash!

The ones likely to be cut. Some are gonna have to go, unfortunately. That's just how things are:

• Roy. Poor kid. Maybe if they could base some of his moves more off of characters from Binding Blade, he might have a better chance of staying.
  • Lucas. Barely made it in as a favorite DLC fighter, but unless Mother 3 gets an official localization, I don't see him coming back.
  • Duck Hunt. Screw him, put Takamaru in!
  • Any third party character other than Sonic. Sonic will likely stay due to him and Mario being buddies at this point, but there's little hope for Pac-Man, Cloud, and of course, Bayonetta.
  • Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Lucina. You probably know the reason.

Other things I'd like to see are a complete overhaul on costumes (they should start having fun with them!) and giving Ganondorf his own moveset.

Tried to post in the other thread, but it got deleted as I was typing. Thanks, Ike.

Edited by Power Master

Oh, I'd LOVE Ghirahim, but he's an assist already, so I don't see him having as much of a chance as Impa or Vaati.

EDIT: Ugh, damn it, Integ. >_< :facepalm: (I know it was an accident, but it IS kinda irritating to have to write that whole post again and pull up the video link I had again...)

Well, Little Mac was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, so it's not totally out of the question I guess.

Then again, this case may be a bit different because it's a port of the Wii U game (assuming the rumors are true).

And yeah, Ghirahim was cool. Significantly cooler than the Ganon-expy he worked for at least.

Integ: Oh okay, then yep, sure sounds like it!

But again, back to Smash. I hope we get modes as cool as Smash Run was. What the Wii U version had was just eh even though overall I thought it was the better version. Also, an SSE-like mode plz complete with voice acting would be totally sweet.

Also, more actual alt costumes, PLEASE! I really want my Vanguard Ike, damn it. ;_;

Edited by Anacybele

The ones likely to be cut. Some are gonna have to go, unfortunately. That's just how things are:

• Roy. Poor kid. Maybe if they could base some of his moves more off of characters from Binding Blade, he might have a better chance of staying.
  • Lucas. Barely made it in as a favorite DLC fighter, but unless Mother 3 gets an official localization, I don't see him coming back.
  • Duck Hunt. Screw him, put Takamaru in!
  • Any third party character other than Sonic. Sonic will likely stay due to him and Mario being buddies at this point, but there's little hope for Pac-Man, Cloud, and of course, Bayonetta.
  • Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Lucina. You probably know the reason.
Why would a port cut anybody?

It would be a waste of free roster spaces.

Laura Kate Dale, since we're working off rumors.

There's also no way they can finish Smash 4 DLC in early 2016 and get out a full new game in 2017 without being a step down.

Who said we're getting something in 2017?

As I said in another thread, if I get Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Dixie Kong, I'm set. But as for other predictions/wants:

-Inkling seems a little too obvious.

-A Breath of the Wild character, potentially. The timing is right for it.

-Since we always have to get a new Pokemon...Decidueye?

-Jibanyan, since Yokai Watch is beginning to take off.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, and since we don't know the nature of the potential Smash 4 Switch, it's hard to even guess how many new fighters we'll get.

And I really hope we get a new main mode that's not Smash Tour. This is honestly more important than any new fighters, but also may be too much development for what will likely be an enhanced port.

Edited by Florete

Who said we're getting something in 2017?

Again, this is going off the fairly-reliable Dale's Switch lineup leak (listed a Smash 4 port for Summer 2017, if I remember right).

Granted, it's not confirmed, and I was probably a bit too quick to jump. But still, she's been pretty spot on with leaks thus far, and an enhanced port of 4 would be pretty wise on Nintendo's part, they basically developed themselves into a corner with it.

I stand by my prediction I've had for a while:

- Ice Climbers

- Wolf

- Inkling

- Rhythm Heaven character

- Surprise wild card character (After the Mario/Rabbids game leak, I'm inclined to believe it's Rayman)

Who said the game is a port?

The source used by that video you linked to in the OP.

I reckon if we do get a port it'll be just a port with little new features. Maybe just one or two new characters. And then they'll start working on a new unique entry for the series on the Switch. I started speculating about what I want quite a while back and this is the roster I came up with.

my_ssb5_roster_by_jotarisprite-d9z0e2z.p

Also have an explanation video.

But a port wouldn't add new characters and stuff. That's a whole new game we're talking. A port is the exact same game being brought to another system with few to no changes and any changes made are small.

Edited by Anacybele

But a port wouldn't add new characters and stuff. That's a whole new game we're talking. A port is the exact same game being brought to another system with few to no changes and any changes made are small.

New characters doesn't mean a new game. A new combat system is a new game. It's pretty typical for games to be ported from an arcade to a home system and gain a few new characters in the process. Of course it doesn't mean we're definitely going to be getting new characters if we get a port but it is a possibility. And considering how much hype tends to surround new characters in Smash I reckon it's quite likely.

"New game", in this context, means a game developed entirely from scratch, which means a new combat engine and every character has to be remade from the very beginning, which of course would lead to characters being cut. However, realistically speaking, there is no way they can develop a brand-new Smash game for Switch and have it ready for first year or even second year.

All rumors have stated that Smash Switch is a port of the Wii U version with content from the 3DS version included as well as brand-new content (like characters) added in. This makes the game a port. An enhanced port, but a port nonetheless. Because of that, it makes zero sense for characters to be cut, since the content is all there, finished.

If I had to make a list of who I think the most likely characters are, it'd proooobably be...

-Inkling (Splatoon)

-Dixie Kong or King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)

-Impa (Zelda)

-Whatever the heck the final evolution for Rowlet is called (Pokemon)

-Hades (Kid Icarus)

-Takumara (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)

-Tom Nook (Animal Crossing)

Inkling because Splatoon is incredibly popular and kind of an obvious choice (although I personally don't care for Splatoon).

Dixie or K. Rool because people have clamored for more DK characters for way too long now, there is no way they're going to ignore them again. K. Rool is one of the most requested characters period, but Dixie is also pretty popular. Either way, one of them is likely.

Impa because Breath of the Wild is basically a guaranteed success (in terms of sales), and like DK, people have wanted a new Zelda character. The only other character I can see them picking is Vaati, but I feel like Impa is the more popular choice, and they've given her quite a bit of attention lately with her roles in Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors.

Pokemon because obligatory Pokemon.

Hades because I'm confident that another KI character will be added. People will expect Medusa, and she is a highly requested character, but Sakurai loves trolling people. And who better to troll with than the trolling king himself?

Takumara because he was originally gonna be in 3DS/Wii U but was cut for concerns about his notoriety. Well, now's he's been noticed!

Tom Nook because I feel like they'll want a surprise addition. And I'm sure there's Tom Nook and AC fans who've requested him, but I doubt the Smash fanbase as a whole will really expect it.

- Dixie Kong (DK)
- Inkling (Splatoon)
- Daisy (Super Mario)
- Impa or Vaati (Zelda) (not both, I only see one getting in for now)
- Gen 7 Pokemon
- New FE lord (if a new FE is around at the right time)

I think these are all very likely and good guesses (and maybe I'm a little biased towards Dixie, Daisy, and Impa...).

Because of that, it makes zero sense for characters to be cut, since the content is all there, finished.

Just to note, 3rd party characters could be cut if the contracts for them don't extend to the Switch version and Nintendo doesn't feel like renewing them. However, the DLC 3rd parties probably included a potential Switch version in their contracts and Sonic, Megaman, and Pac-Man are likely safe because of who they are and what companies they're from.