Looking to Buy a new laptop... need help

Zanarkin

My old laptop is rather old at this point, and it basically dying. The keyboard is faulty, the power cord and battery need replacing, a piece of the computer got stuck in the fan and i can hear it rattling every now and then (I fell one while carrying it in my backpack and a piece of the cover broke off and went inside [or at least i think it did]). Games don't run very well (trying to play overwatch in this is a nightmare). Many of the things it needs are also no longer sold, since Gateway was discontinued.

I need some help deciding what to buy... keep in mind, that the most intensive things I'll be doing here is playing something like Overwatch/League of Legends and possibly Xcom2 or Civ 5...

I have found a few that I am interested in, but I don't know how good they actually are (and reviews are not always available):

- Acer Laptop E5-553G-T87A

- Acer Aspire E5-575G-55NW

- Lenovo ThinkPad E560

What do you guys think? Suggestions for other laptops are welcomed. I think the Lenovo looks fine, except the 4GB of Ram is rather off-putting to me. Particularly, because the computer i have now has 6 GB and it sometimes struggles a bit (although it may have to do with it being old)

Edit: My budget is 650 CAD, a little more is ok too, but not preferred.

Edited by SlayerX

How good are you at fixing stuff on your own? I've heard less-than-stellar things about Lenovo's customer service.

I have never tried it. I am always afraid i might fuck things up. I tried opening my current laptop once to get rid of the rattling, but i didnt get past the initial cover, because i didnt have the right screw drivers and everything looked delicate.

Laptops and computer hardware in general aren't delicate, but I can understand not wanting to fix your laptop, because that is a pain.

Anyway, the ram memory really isn't important for the speed of your computer. 4gb of ram is as good as 6gb in that regard. What's most important for speed is your hard drive. Most laptops come with hard drives that work at 5500~ rpm, what you want is a solid state disc, a hybrid hard drive, or if that's not within the budget, a higher rpm hard drive.

Edited by Excellen Browning

No more than 650 CAD, not including taxes, a little more is okay but not preferred.

I also have seen this one here, kinda liking it

- Acer E5-575T-58WH

This is the best of the options you've listed so far. To play LoL or Overpriced at around 60 fps even at very low settings you would probably have to save up another hundred or so. Even intel integrated graphics are faster than the AMD Radeon R7, so that's something to keep in mind. If you do get one of these laptops, you will need to buy a cooling system which will cost around ~20 on sale to play Mobas otherwise a laptop with these specs WILL overheat and die quickly.

Edited by Xander

This is the best of the options you've listed so far. To play LoL or Overpriced at around 60 fps even at very low settings you would probably have to save up another hundred or so. Even intel integrated graphics are faster than the AMD Radeon R7, so that's something to keep in mind. If you do get one of these laptops, you will need to buy a cooling system which will cost around ~20 on sale to play Mobas otherwise a laptop with these specs WILL overheat and die quickly.

Why is that one the best out of the options?

Also, is League really that intensive? I have experienced huge FPS issues with Overwatch, but I never really experienced any major recurring FPS lag with League in the past few months with my current laptop. I usually run League on the lowest settings and i have often done it without the cooling base I have at home (lugging it to my parents' house is a pain in the ass). The worst i have had with League and in fact a few games was that i had to uninstall and re-install all of my drivers, since league would go black after Champ select and other games like don't starve got a very fuzzy HUD.

That said, Overwatch like i said before is almost unbearable on my current one. Although i could play it for a while if i wanted to suffer the lag or FPS drops on just the fan. Sometimes i even managed to play with a rather bearable FPS for a bit. It seemed random so at first i thought it was the internet connection, but League rarely experiences these issues... The same cannot be said for Civ 5 though. I ran it once with just the fan and the computer shut down completely in less than an hour of play... If i am to run Civ 5 without issue, i need to use the fan i have for myself in the summer and the fan i have on my desk to help cool it.

In the end, if it cant run Overwatch, it is not the worst thing. Most games I play now run fine on my current laptop, and those are the types of games I'd run most often anyway i guess.

Edited by SlayerX

Why is that one the best out of the options?

I would assume it's the fastest since it is an i5 (so it's automatically faster than every other computer you've posted) and the 620 mobile integrated graphics card should be able to handle games on low settings with relative ease, though I would imagine LoL dropping below 60 fps in teamfights.

I ended up getting this one, Acer Aspire E5-575G-55NW

The SSD drive, while small, really warmed me up to it. I also don't use a lot of storage anyway. Most games I play are small, and I end up never playing them again after i beat them. Plus the graphics and CPU are not terrible either, and the resolution is really nice, considering most others had a 1366x768. It is also not a touchscreen, which while some people rave about touch screen laptops, I don't really care for it. Mouse and keyboard is the way to go for me.

Ill test League and Overwatch on it, see how it goes. I assume League will run fine, Overwatch might not work, but even if it doesn't it is fine.

Thanks for the input guys.

Edit: Played a game of Overwatch, both Attack and defend. Did not notice any particularly major slowdown or lag. The gameplay was very smooth. System wise there was more noise than i have heard yet with this computer, but the computer did not heat up to ridiculous levels.

Edited by SlayerX

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M08DL26/

I need a new laptop too and I like this one. Not sure if it's out of your price range or not at $750. I really like its specs for the price. It just doesn't have the best graphics card which is OK to me since I rarely play PC games, and it only has 256 GB of storage, but it being an SSD makes up for that.

Edit: oops, missed your last post saying you bought one.

Edited by Locust