FE10 Tierlist 2017

usually have miccy hand him rexaura because his speed makes him much better at using it, though that's a bit embarrassing for a character who is supposed to be the co-lead.

Edited by Radiant head

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no rating for Lehran. He basically doesn't exist, even by the poor availability most units get in the game. I guess he has more-or-less perfect stats but he comes so late that you might see him for like, 1 turn tops.

I don't want to rate Lehran. The sheer hoops you need to jump through to get him to exist make me not care, and then he's less relevant than your usual Athos-type anyway. In fact if it's possible I'd like to throw an official vote towards no rating, in hopes that if he gets more of these than he gets actual votes, that you won't include him in the list.

You should count Ana's votes for the herons. She gave a reason for it and it's a valid one. The herons DO have weaknesses which aren't always acknowledged, namely that if you make a mistake and expose them they die to a sneeze. The Ike comparison is made in bad faith since he doesn't have this problem. Unlike Ike, the herons can be forced into the role they are bad at (combat) where they will die.

You should count Ana's votes for the herons. She gave a reason for it and it's a valid one. The herons DO have weaknesses which aren't always acknowledged, namely that if you make a mistake and expose them they die to a sneeze. The Ike comparison is made in bad faith since he doesn't have this problem. Unlike Ike, the herons can be forced into the role they are bad at (combat) where they will die.

uh, only if you don't know how to use the heron

herons not being fit for combat doesn't really justify outlier ratings that distort the results

Edited by Radiant head

Chalk up another vote for no rating for me. The whole thing about needing Ike to fight the BK in 3-7 and not die mostly leads me to not care, because getting Ike 27 speed by that point tends to be pretty dicey unless you got him transfers, and even then, there's the crit chance Ike faces...

Chalk up another vote for no rating for me. The whole thing about needing Ike to fight the BK in 3-7 and not die mostly leads me to not care, because getting Ike 27 speed by that point tends to be pretty dicey unless you got him transfers, and even then, there's the crit chance Ike faces...

You can avoid this by using a magic card with Ike instead.

Except herons can fight. . .albeit poorly. The Ike point is moot, seeing as he's forced, and if every unit could refresh and have heron-like combat, the game would be nigh-unwinnable (because you'd run out of cards).

Since I cannot be arsed to unlocked Lehran, he doesn't get a rating.

Herons can't even use a weapon, any weapon. How is combat even a role for them?

Oh yeah, Counter. Scratch that, I suck and forgot about cards.

Edited by Vaximillian

I won't count Ana's vote for this reason, because she apparently doesn't know the purpose of herons.
Herons aren't made for combat. They just exist for strageical purposes by giving you more moves in a turn.

This explains it pretty well:

It's true, it applies the exact same reasoning. You should change my vote as to stay consistent. However, you and I both know it's completely illogical. Why deduct points and give a low rating to a unit because it can't perform a certain function that it was not intended to be able to do? Last part is important, because it is more than fair to deduct points for a unit not being able to function well in its intended way. Lyre is intended as a combat unit, she sucks at it, low rating is justified.

Ike is intended as a combat unit, but i give him a 1/10 because he can't refresh my units and that sucks. It's the exact same as:
Reyson is intended as a refresh unit, but i give him a 1/10 because he can't enter combat and that sucks. It's deducting points in an unfair way. Which, to me, is reason enough to not take the vote into account. But as I said, that's my opinion, and I'll leave it at that.
(Do note that I do acknowledge Ana's other points like being fragile a fragile unit, even if i do not agree with those things being worth deducting points over since we have different playstyles.)

It'd distort the tierlist, if an unit gets a wrong rating by someome who just doesn't know how to use it properly.

No offense against Anacybele.

I tried to make her clear what the purpose of Herons and dancers in general is in FE, but she refused to accept the explanations unfortunately.

Edited by Eleanor Hume

I was gone for a while, so...*deep breath*

Heather - Ugh...It's like they felt they needed to give us a thief, but then they didn't give her anything to do. There's so very little actual thieving for Heather to do. Hell, Sothe is already forced to the desert map, so her potential value there is diminished, and there are multiple chest keys for 4-4. So that leaves her combat, which is pitiful. Low str growth and cap and weak weapons won't cut it even with all that speed. Ironically, Bane is actually one of the better mastery skills for her since it ensures she can kill an enemy so long as she can hurt it. But so what? At least she's a bit of help in part 2. 4/10

Lucia - An awesome unit!...for a single map, then she's gone until part 4 where she's...kinda bleh. Certainly usable if you can fix her Str, but far from a top pick. 5/10

Lethe - Cats really got the short end of the stick in this game. Lethe is alright for her part 2 maps and usable in part 3 onward, but really not good. 3.5/10

Mordecai - The physical super tank. Starting at 32 Def and being able to grow to 44 is pretty crazy. Resolve strats with him can be pretty crazy. Thing is, his durability is kind of overkill and his offense without resolve is pretty underwhelming. 6.5/10

Geoffrey - A front-runner for two maps, possibly helpful in 2-E, then gone while everyone gets stronger than him. He can be pumped with BEXP to fix his stats, but since you're practically at Endgame and his speed cap is below 34, there's not much value in doing so. 6.5/10

Kieran - Like Geoffrey, but a bit worse, but also comes back for a few part 3 maps. But also has bigger speed woes. 7/10

Astrid - Horrible start, great finish. Can use Blossom together with Paragon for quick stat gains. Can be trained without worrying about retaliation. Rewarding if you're into that kind of thing. 3.5/10

Makalov - Like Kieran, but a bit worse. Has lots of speed (until cap), but a little lacking in power. "He's alright" is about the best to say about him. 5.5/10

Danved - Not ten men. I've actually never used him past his first few maps, so this rating is entirely on theory. Looks like he has decent speed, but strength problems, and not a great start. 5/10

Calill - Underwhelming for a while, but the most rewarding mage to use in my opinion, due to serviceable growths and a good speed cap + Rexflame. 5.5/10

Ike - Possibly the best raw non-royal combatant in the game, but locked to swords and feet. Then Ragnell comes and he lols at everyone. His biggest flaw is being on the same team as Titania and Haar. 9/10

Titania - Female, red hair, and axes make for some great units. Really no noticeable flaws aside from not flying and her horse occasionally getting in the way. 9/10

Soren - I mean, I guess if you really want a mage to use for a while, he's your best option, but that's not saying much. He's okay. 6/10

Mist - Why, oh why, do I not deal magic damage? I'm so sorry, master. But at least you can still heal! And from a horse after promoting! MistxJill forever. 5.5/10

Rolf - The one you use if you want to train someone who's weak, but not too weak, into a badass. Starts off below average, becomes awesome. 6.5/10

Boyd - Kinda like Rolf, but has an easier time killing things, but also can take hits in return. Speedwing helps immensely. 7/10

Oscar - A worse Titania. Good, but not great. 7.5/10

Shinon - A better Rolf. Watch his Str, but he should be good to go. 8/10

Gatrie - A better Brom. Has good growths in all the important stats. Wants to promote asap. Still in a shitty class, though. 8/10

Rhys - The better healer compared to Mist, and can also deal damage. Ultimately decent, but not really a unit with long term value. 6.5/10

Mia - A slightly rocky start, but becomes pretty awesome. Pair her with Ike for an unkillable wall of death. 8.5/10

Ranulf - The good cat. But just good. Not really great. Has solid stats, but still has cat problems. 7.5/10

Kyza - Like Danved, I've never used this guy. He looks underwhelming, though not terrible. 3.5/10

Lyre - Worst unit in the game. Awful start + cat problems is a recipe for disaster. Can't even gain experience fast because of being a laguz. 1/10

Reyson - He may eat your laguz stones, but he's worth it. Long distance 4-way refreshing is pretty amazing. 9/10

Janaff - Good power + flight + enough base speed to double literally every enemy in the game until 4-E-5 is pretty cool. Only Laguz problems keep him down. 8/10

Ulki - A weaker Janaff. 7/10

Sigrun - Where the hell is your speed growth? And not very good strength, either. Passable at best. 5/10

Tanith - Slow start, potentially strong finish. 6/10

Sanaki - The definition of a glass cannon. Unfortunately, that's not super useful where she comes. 3.5/10

Skrimir - Solid stats all around and a good gauge. If you've got a spare speedwing he's pretty crazy. 7.5/10

Tibarn - Nothing really needs to be said. 8.5/10

Naesala - A little worse than Tibarn, but still very good. 8/10

Pelleas - If only he could have joined before the map starts...Oh well. With those growths, Pelleas could have actually been pretty awesome (for a mage), but his late and low join does him no favors. 3/10

Stefan - A pretty solid Endgame filler unit. 6.5/10

Oliver - Not very solid. 1.5/10

Bastian - A bit more solid. 2/10

Volke - Solid. Too bad he's stuck with 18 MT, 1 range. 6/10

Kurthnaga - He can actually be a good combat unit if you pump with BEXP, but so what? He'll still have low move and A rank strike. His defensive skills are neat, but ultimately not very helpful. 2/10

Ena - Her combat is screwed, but her Blood Tide can be helpful. 4/10

Caineghis - King of Lions. 8/10

Giffca - Pride of Lions. 8/10

Renning - He's alright, but alright isn't good enough anymore. 3/10

Gareth - Same basic usage as Ena, but comes later. Maybe he can hit something for you, if you're lucky. 3.5/10

Nasir - The speed boost from White Pool can actually be pretty critical. 6/10

Lehran - Only one map, but he's pretty awesome on it. I'm also taking off 0.5 from his score for his recruitment, not because it's unintuitive, but because it's actually pretty dangerous. 4/10

Note that I did vote in the polls for Kurth, Ena, Renning, Gareth, Nasir, and Lehran.

Here's my final tier list:

9.5 - Sothe, Jill, Haar

9.0 - Volug, Nailah, Black Knight, Ike, Titania, Reyson

8.5 - Mia, Tibarn

8.0 - Zihark, Rafiel, Elincia, Shinon, Gatrie, Janaff, Naesala, Caineghis, Giffca

7.5 - Nolan, Aran, Leanne, Nephenee, Oscar, Ranulf, Skrimir

7.0 - Micaiah, Edward, Laura, Marcia, Kieran, Boyd, Ulki

6.5 - Mordecai, Geoffrey, Rolf, Rhys, Stefan

6.0 - Tauroneo, Muarim, Brom, Soren, Tanith, Volke, Nasir

5.5 - Makalov, Calill, Mist

5.0 - Ilyana, Tormod, Lucia, Danved

4.5 - Nealuchi

4.0 - Heather, Ena, Lehran

3.5 - Lethe, Astrid, Kyza, Sanaki, Gareth

3.0 - Leonardo, Pelleas, Renning

2.5 - Fiona, Vika

2.0 - Meg, Bastian, Kurthnaga

1.5 - Oliver

1.0 - Lyre

Edited by Florete

Cards are pretty bad except for the times when you want to make an attack and not eat a counter, or maybe for Ena... honestly I don't really count them as combat as it is one of the least efficient things you could do with a heron's turn. Healers are fragile and can't fight either until they class up but most people would find it unthinkable to run without one.

Like losing a few points for being fragile is fine if you don't know the best ways to position them but Reyson is just as durable as Rhys...

Here's my final tier list:

9.5 - Sothe, Jill, Haar

8.5 - Mia, Tibarn

8.0 - Zihark, Rafiel, Elincia, Shinon, Gatrie, Janaff, Naesala, Caineghis, Giffca

5.0 - Ilyana, Tormod, Lucia, Danved

4.5 - Nealuchi

2.5 - Fiona, Vika

1.5 - Oliver

1.0 - Lyre

Dang, now I need to go back through the thread, collect my ratings, and make a final tier list! Tomorrow, though. Too late in the night for it now.

Cards are pretty bad except for the times when you want to make an attack and not eat a counter, or maybe for Ena... honestly I don't really count them as combat as it is one of the least efficient things you could do with a heron's turn. Healers are fragile and can't fight either until they class up but most people would find it unthinkable to run without one.

Like losing a few points for being fragile is fine if you don't know the best ways to position them but Reyson is just as durable as Rhys...

And I hate Rhys. Because he can actually be one rounded. It's the exact reason I'd rather use Mist over him despite the fact that he actually can damage enemies. I don't think Ana's vote should totally be discounted. She's going with the argument of "can't fight, and I could use another unit." She feels that the refresh and other support options that they grant are not enough to make up for their lack of durability.

THAT is a realistic reason for rating them that lowly. I don't think they are that bad because they have things like canto and the like to move out of the way, but I can see how it would annoy others.

Edited by Augestein

I was gone for a while, so...*deep breath*

Added.

Tierlist and table are updated.

This is my tierlist.

Edit: Removed Lucia's 0.5 and changed my vote from 3.5 to 4.

untrasformed only

Transformed he won't get doubled except for swordmasters and cats in part 4.

Edited by Eleanor Hume

And I hate Rhys. Because he can actually be one rounded. It's the exact reason I'd rather use Mist over him despite the fact that he actually can damage enemies. I don't think Ana's vote should totally be discounted. She's going with the argument of "can't fight, and I could use another unit." She feels that the refresh and other support options that they grant are not enough to make up for their lack of durability.

THAT is a realistic reason for rating them that lowly. I don't think they are that bad because they have things like canto and the like to move out of the way, but I can see how it would annoy others.

+1

I disagree with Ana's rating because of the the reasons already stated in the thread, but she did give a reason for her vote based on stats and gameplay. I personally think that refreshing even one unit is worth fielding a squishy unit, but if Ana thinks otherwise, so be it. We didn't specify a particular playstyle for this tierlist, so if Ana thinks that fielding a heron is counterproductive to hers, I think it is only fair to take her vote into consideration.

---

Lehran - 3/10. He may or may not do anything at all, even if you manage to recruit him, so even though his stats are pretty great, I won't give him a higher score than that.

---

Here's my tierlist:

10 - Haar

9.5 - Nailah, Jill, Titania

9 - Ike, Rafiel, Reyson

8.5 - Tibarn

8 - Elincia, Volug, BK, Leanne, Nolan, Zihark

7.5 - Sothe, Oscar

7 - Ulki, Janaff, Naesala, Mia, Cainaghis

6.5 - Marcia, Gatrie

6 - Micaiah, Tauroneo, Shinon, Ranulf, Tanith, Nephenee, Muarim, Heather

5.5 - Kieran, Laura, Brom, Giffca, Mordecai, Skrimir, Geoffrey, Nasir

5 - Calill, Edward, Boyd, Sigrun, Aran

4.5 - Ena, Tormod, Danved, Soren

4 - Rhys, Volke, Mist, Ilyana, Nealuchi

3.5 - Lucia, Lethe, Stefan, Makalov, Gareth, Bastian

3 - Sanaki, Pelleas, Lehran, Rolf, Renning

2.5 - Vika, Kurthnaga, Leonardo

2 - Kyza

1.5 - Astrid, Oliver

1 - Meg, Fiona

0.5 - Lyre

That's about 5.4 on average, fwiw.

Edited by ping

My final tier list:

10: Caineghis, Tibran

9.5: Ike

9: Nailah, Naesala, Haar, Jill, Mia, Shinon, Elincia, Brom, Reyson

8.5: Giffca, Titania, Oscar, Nephenee, Rafiel

8: Black Knight, Skrimir

7.5: no units

7: Nolan, Boyd, Soren, Zihark, Marcia, Stefan, Mordecai, Volug, Geoffrey

6.5: Mist

6: Sothe, Sanaki, Edward, Kieran, Rolf, Janaff, Ulkie, Ranulf, Sigrun, Volke

5.5: no units

5: Micaiah, Gatrie, Tanith, Rhys, Leanne, Calill, Makalov, Pelleas, Oliver, Muarim

4.5: no units

4: Aran, Laura, Leonardo, Taureno, Nealuchi, Danved, Ilyana, Bastian, Renning, Nasir, Lehran

3.5: Ena, Gareth

3: Meg, Lethe, Lucia, Vika, Kurthnaga

2.5: Tormod, Heather, Astrid, Kyze

2: Fiona

1.5: no units

1: Lyre

0.5: no units

0: no units

I closed the poll because I don't expect more people to vote in.

Anyways here's the final tierlist (for now):

[spoiler=official FE10 tierlist 2017]
God-tier (9-10)

• Haar 9.38
  • Jill 9.15

Top-tier (8-8.99)

• Nailah 8.93
  • Tibarn 8.68
  • Ike 8.67
  • Rafiel 8.64
  • Titania 8.64
  • Reyson 8.62
  • Elincia 8.25
  • Volug 8.14
  • Shinon 8.08

High-tier (7-7.99)

• Naesala 7.92
  • Zihark 7.9
  • BK 7.9
  • Nolan 7.79
  • Mia 7.73
  • Sothe 7.68
  • Gatrie 7.38
  • Oscar 7.33
  • Caineghis 7.25
  • Janaff 7.24
  • Leanne 7.21
  • Ulkie 7.13

Up-mid-tier (6-6.99)

• Nephenee 6.97
  • Marcia 6.7
  • Micaiah 6.57
  • Giffca 6.5
  • Skrimir 6.45
  • Ranulf 6.21
  • Edward 6
  • Aran 6

Mid-tier (5-5.99)

• Soren 5.95
  • Mordecai 5.75
  • Tanith 5.74
  • Laura 5.68
  • Boyd 5.6
  • Kieran 5.57
  • Brom 5.31
  • Geoffrey 5.28
  • Rolf 5.25
  • Stefan 5.24
  • Rhys 5.14
  • Sigrun 5.03
  • Nasir 5.03
  • Volke 5.03
  • Calill 5

Low-mid-tier (4-4.99)

• Tauroneo 4.93
  • Muarim 4.88
  • Heather 4.71
  • Sanaki 4.66
  • Mist 4.64
  • Nealuchi 4.37
  • Ilyana 4.27
  • Ena 4.27
  • Danved 4.12
  • Makalov 4

Low-tier (2.5-3.99)

• Lucia 3.88
  • Leonardo 3.87
  • Lehran 3.8
  • Lethe 3.61
  • Renning 3.53
  • Tormod 3.52
  • Pelleas 3.5
  • Kurthnaga 3.2
  • Bastian 3.19
  • Gareth 3.17
  • Kyze 2.9
  • Vika 2.66

Bottom-tier (0-2.49)

• Astrid 2.31
  • Oliver 2.12
  • Meg 2
  • Fiona 1.88
  • Lyre 1.48

results

[spoiler=my first impressions]

[spoiler=Ratings I expected]

• Haar and Jill are the two best units.
  • The worst three places go to Meg, Fiona and Lyre.
  • Poor rating for the mages. None of them except for Micaiah could get >=6.
  • bases > growths
  • Axe users are beloved.
  • Poor rating for most of the Laguz, especially cats and birds.
  • Rafiel is best heron, even if only close ahead of Reyson.

[spoiler=Ratings I didn't expect]

• Zihark is best swordmaster.
  • Nephenee > Marcia
  • Sigrun is only slightly worse than Tanith.
  • Aran is as good as Edward.
  • Leonardo's very low ranking. I expected sth. with a 4 as first number at least.

Fell free to complain!

I also will rethink all my votings and might change a few.

Also you can still change / submit (everyone who hasn't yet) yours too!

Edited by Eleanor Hume

Lehran: 2.5

His stats aren't bad at all it's just that he's a Gato/Athos type unit but somehow with less things to do. The dragons seem to be that type of unit too except they had more available maps, although to be fair he is the traditional type. He can heal/fortify or help destroy the Auras or fight Ashera, but it just seems like there's too little for him to contribute.

Here's my score list and my reflections :P:

Haar: 9.5
Titania: 9.5
Tibarn: 9.5
Gatrie: 9
Oscar: 8.5
Jannaff: 8.5
Ulki: 8.5
Naesala: 8.5
Leanne: 8
Reyson: 8
Boyd: 7.5
Mia: 7.5
Sigrun: 7.5
Skrimir: 7.5
Shinnon: 7
Ike: 7
Rhys: 7
Sanaki: 7
Ranulf: 6.5
Tanith: 6.5
Mordecai: 6
Rolf: 6
Nealuchi: 6
Calill: 6
Nephenee: 6
Heather: 6
Kieran: 5.5
Makalov: 5.5
Geoffrey: 5
Danved: 5
Brom: 5
Giffca: 5
Ena: 5
Caein: 5
Soren: 4.5
Astrid: 4.5
Mist: 4.5
Lucia: 4
Nasir: 4
Lethe: 3.5
Gareth: 3
Kyza: 3
Volke: 3
Kurth: 3
Stefan: 3
Pelleas: 2
Renning: 2
Bastian: 1.5
Lyre: 1
Oliver: 0

I Bolded some characters that I feel I rated a little too high. After a recent HM run I feel like:

Oscar's not as sturdy or fast as I remember him, he certainly not a bad unit but he's got more issues than the other characters in that score range. For example Jannaff/Ulki are usable right out of the box but Oscar has a bigger ladder to climb in order to become a more effective unit.

Sanaki is not as deadly as I remember her, or rather Resolve is not as effective as I recall. In Normal mode it's much deadlier because the enemy hit rates go really really low, but in HM the hit rates don't go that low for some reason. They stayed in the 70's zone, i'm not a mathematician but she wasn't dodging as much. She's better at dealing damage from afar with Long ranged tomes imo, the resolve mechanic is safer on NM.

Nephenee is dealing with the same issues as Oscar, she's frail and doesn't deal much damage and also has to grow several levels in order to start doubling in Part 3. I think transfers fix her doubling issues but she is definitely overshadowed by other lance units like Gatrie/Oscar.

I just noticed I didn't rank the Dawn Brigade/Part 1 team, but here's the score I give them (you don't have to count it):

Micaiah: 8
I'm aware she has durability issues but she has more to offer thankfully. I think she is one of the most underrated characters in the game. She has a strong personal tome(s) and good offensive growths, except for speed. She has flexible offense because with sacrifice she can use other skills like resolve or wrath and also other niches like sacrifce(which has restore effect) and large skill window for paragon/wrath. Her main selling point however is her healing, which means that you can just ignore her combat altogether if you choose to but still makes her a decent unit via staves.

Edward: 6.5
He's decent early on but he becomes a little too risky to play with in HM. He has durability issues which become apparent unless he keeps up. I find wrath counter-effective on him in HM although I get what they were trying to do with him. He can definitely become an amazing unit he just needs to keep an eye on that durability.

Leonardo: 5.5
This is a unit I learned had hidden potential thanks to Dluna. I tried him out and he's definitely a decent guy, doesn't require much so he can become a decent emergency combat if you choose to in the laguz maps. His prf weapon is amazing for him because if you choose to raise him as a combat unit that bow will really come in handy, it helps fix his doubling issues.

Nolan: 8
One of the safer and easier tier-1 characters to raise, although he can also struggle and get rng screwed. His potential is that he's closer to promotion, has decent base hp/def, earth affinity, and Tarvos gives him a durability boost for Part 3.

Laura: 7
She's the mvp healer of Part 1 pretty much the only one keeping them alive, although there's some maps like 1-8 where I don't bring her. However come part 3 you'd think she'd have some competition with Micaiah, however she really doesn't because laguz hit hard and having that extra healer comes in handy all throughout part 3. Unlike Micaiah she can help put Ike to sleep in 3-13. Laura is one of those units with no durability but helpful contributions. I also find her to be one of the fastest support bots, several characters show up with her under her list after a few maps (along with Micaiah). She's also the easiest to raise if you turtle because staff spamming is safe.

Sothe: 9.5
He's another unit I find underrated. He's the mvp of part 1 if you choose to use him to full potential. Can use adept better than Zihark because forged knives are a thing. He has no movement penalties I believe and has good stats all around. Although he does fall off for parts 3 and 4 but still has some utility here and there. He can be a rotation wall for you in part 3 if you're struggling because he can take a hit, although I'd suggest not giving him beastkiller.

Ilyana: 4.5
It's weird because i'd usually say a unit with more availability makes them have more potential, but it's the opposite for Ilyana. Had she stayed with the DB she would have more potential, they really messed her up because migrating her to the opposite team really hurts her a lot. One because she's cannibalizing Team 1's resources if you choose to raise her and 2 she is too under-leveled? by the time she gets to the other Team. (Unless you turtled but even then she's still hurting the DB). She's still a decent unit for a few maps until Tormod joins.

Aran: 6
He's a growth unit, and like the DB he struggles for a little bit until his growths kick in. He's going to need more speed to keep up though. It sucks he doesn't receive a prf weapon.

Meg: 5
I find Meg to be quite underrated. She's got similar bases to Aran except for speed, she only needs that one speed level to not get doubled. Her hit issues are fixed by her affinity +15 hit. She's parallel to Aran because she has the speed growth but needs that str growth. She does have move issues but in her defense the DB's maps are small-ish. Meg has issues but she's not outright terrible.

Volug: 7
Good unit in part 1 but starts to struggle as the chapters flow by, he has doubling issues in 1-E iirc. In Part 3 he has to deal with the gauge and falls back if he doesn't keep that strike level up. He's a decent wall but I find him easily replaceable.

Tauroneo: 6.5
He's the star of 1-6-1/1-6-2 and then he leaves forever until 3-12/3-13. I don't know why they forced him all the way to the left in 3-12, but he can kill a peg or two here and there. He is definitely a decent wall in 3-13 if you can 1/2/3 turn Ike, but if you choose to short turn Ike he is one of the more reliable units that can go there with Jill/Nolan.

Jill: 9
She has a rocky start but she is that one unit with the easier time growing out of her shell because of mobility and base levels. Once she grows out of her rocky start she becomes a much better unit, it also helps that she is great in Endgame.

Zihark: 7
Helpful in Part 1 but too fragile for my liking in Part 3, although to be fair his base affinity could help his durability. I just find building supports a bit too slow.

Fiona: 2
Unlike Meg Fiona definitely starts off terrible, so I do feel like her placement is justified. She can't hit a thing (needs a forge,secret book), she can't deal much damage (needs a ring), she joins too late, several of the maps hurt her mobility, she has gimped availability once she joins which hurts her potential to raise supports, and she faces crits against the enemies. On the bright side I find Fiona useful with supporting roles like Rescuing NPCs and placing them in convenient spots, if I need that NPC healer moved around she's the one with the task or if I need one of those knights to shield my weaklings I'll use Fiona. As a combat unit she'll need a lot of effort, but thankfully she has the growths to back it up.

Tormod: 4
Decent fighter in Part 1, but falls victim to this games availability. I mean wth were they thinking :(.

Muarim: 5.5
Unlike Tormod Muarim can actually fight once he rejoins in Part 4 but nowhere near as safe as in part 1. However he's really good in part 1. He's stronger than Volug and can double effectively except he needs the grass.

Vika: 3.5
She's not very strong at fighting but she has flight which is convenient to move people like Rafiel or Micaiah around. I also find her useful against that pesky wyvern in 1-8.

Nailah: 9
Her only flaw is not having 2-range, she's the one soloing portions of maps in part 1 or 1 of 2 units that can safely move Black Knight around. She also has glare which can come in handy if you're babying someone else I guess.

Rafiel: 9
He's a heron that can refresh 4 units at one, he lacks canto but doesn't require any resources.

Black Knight: 5
Saves the day in 1-9 and then becomes optional shield although he can be useful in 1-E. He's joining too late in 3-6 and by then he's an exp drain imo.

nice work, tc.

i think shinon is way overrated, and soren should probably not be topping the mid-tier section, but otherwise not much to object to.

either way, i will be playing this game for the first time in almost two years thanks to this thread.

Edited by Radiant head

The biggest WTF IMO is Sothe over Mia. Like, I gave Sothe a slightly-below average rating of 7.5/10, and Mia a way-below average rating of 6/10.

Other way around you mean? And I agree, no way in the universe is Mia as essential to the GMs as Sothe is to earlygame DBs. Even if Sothe falls off in the end, playing without Sothe is a giant detriment to his team and part 1 is so painful without him.

And yeah Shinon ended up unexpectedly high. I overrated him a bit, didn't expect him to somehow land in top tier above even Naesala. I think having most of the mages end up in mid tier is to be expected. Magic units are not the best but there are undoubtably moments where you want a mage, due to all the cover tiles in endgame you want *some* versatility in your damage types and Micaiah and Sanaki aren't even the best units to deal with that despite being forced.

Honestly Sothe's high ranking surprised me a bit.

Of course he's fantastic in part 1, but he will fall behind more and more.

In part 3 he's still good against the Laguz with the beastkiller, but you have to care much more about him.

Units like Nolan, Jill (or even Aran if you can train him) can take two hits by tigers unlike him.

In part 4 he can be quite useful in 4-P. But after the promotion in 4-3 is technically screwed by the terrain. It's a chapter for fliers, so Sothe won't get any levels there.

At the end he will come to the tower totally underleveled... and that's the reason why I gave Sothe only a 7. (I even weighted his perfomance of part 1 higher than the other two)

If he wasn't forced for the endgame, I wouldn't rank his poor performance in the endgame and give him ~8 instead.

Personally Shinon's ranking is alright to me (gave him even a higher ranking than average) because he's really great in the early chapters of part 3.

However I find the difference between him and Rolf of almost three points is too large, and it's very questionable that he's better than Naesala.

I think to lower my vote to 8 and increase Rolf's to 6.5... but it wouldn't change much either.

[spoiler=official FE10 tierlist 2017]

God-tier (9-10)

• Haar 9.38
  • Jill 9.15
Top-tier (8-8.99)
  • Nailah 8.93
  • Tibarn 8.68
  • Ike 8.67
  • Rafiel 8.64
  • Titania 8.64
  • Reyson 8.62
  • Elincia 8.25
  • Volug 8.14
  • Shinon 8.08
High-tier (7-7.99)
  • Naesala 7.92
  • Zihark 7.9
  • BK 7.9
  • Nolan 7.79
  • Mia 7.73
  • Sothe 7.68
  • Gatrie 7.38
  • Oscar 7.33
  • Caineghis 7.25
  • Janaff 7.24
  • Leanne 7.21
  • Ulkie 7.13
Up-mid-tier (6-6.99)
  • Nephenee 6.97
  • Marcia 6.7
  • Micaiah 6.57
  • Giffca 6.5
  • Skrimir 6.45
  • Ranulf 6.21
  • Edward 6
  • Aran 6
Mid-tier (5-5.99)
  • Soren 5.95
  • Mordecai 5.75
  • Tanith 5.74
  • Laura 5.68
  • Boyd 5.6
  • Kieran 5.57
  • Brom 5.31
  • Geoffrey 5.28
  • Rolf 5.25
  • Stefan 5.24
  • Rhys 5.14
  • Sigrun 5.03
  • Nasir 5.03
  • Volke 5.03
  • Calill 5
Low-mid-tier (4-4.99)
  • Tauroneo 4.93
  • Muarim 4.88
  • Heather 4.71
  • Sanaki 4.66
  • Mist 4.64
  • Nealuchi 4.37
  • Ilyana 4.27
  • Ena 4.27
  • Danved 4.12
  • Makalov 4
Low-tier (2.5-3.99)
  • Lucia 3.88
  • Leonardo 3.87
  • Lehran 3.8
  • Lethe 3.61
  • Renning 3.53
  • Tormod 3.52
  • Pelleas 3.5
  • Kurthnaga 3.2
  • Bastian 3.19
  • Gareth 3.17
  • Kyze 2.9
  • Vika 2.66
Bottom-tier (0-2.49)
  • Astrid 2.31
  • Oliver 2.12
  • Meg 2
  • Fiona 1.88
  • Lyre 1.48

Sothe still underrated af and Caineghis and Giffca have a strangely large gap. Nothing else immediately stands out to me.

So here's a thing. I did a personal rating topic 7 years ago (here) and I thought it would be interesting to compare how my opinions have changed.

The old one:

10.5: Ike (T)

Index of ratings:

10!: Haar, Ike, Reyson

9.5: Volug, Titania (T), Mia (T)

9.0: Sothe, Leanne, Titania, Gatrie, Mia

8.5: Nolan, Jill (T), Nailah, Elincia (T), Nephenee (T), Shinon, Janaff & Ulki

8.0: Zihark, Rafiel, Elincia, Boyd (T)

7.5: Micaiah, Laura, Jill, Black Knight, Nephenee, Mordecai, Oscar (T), Tibarn

7.0: Oscar, Ranulf, Naesala

6.5: Aran, Marcia (T), Mist (T), Rolf (T), Boyd

6.0: Tauroneo, Heather, Marcia, Mist

5.5: Brom, Rhys, Caineghis & Giffca

5.0: Muarim, Kieran (T), Makalov (T), Tanith (T)

4.5: Tormod, Kieran, Soren (T), Tanith, Skrimir

4.0: Edward, Geoffrey, Calill, Soren, Rolf

3.5: Leonardo, Lucia, Makalov, Sigrun, Stefan, Volke, Nasir

3.0: Ilyana, Vika, Nealuchi, Danved, Ena

2.5: Renning, Gareth

2.0: Lethe, Sanaki, Bastian

1.5: Kyza, Kurthnaga, Lehran

1.0: Astrid (T), Pelleas

0.5: Meg, Fiona, Astrid, Oliver

0.0: Lyre

Yeah, I put Ike (T) above the top of the list for fun.

The current one:

9.5 - Sothe, Jill, Haar

8.5 - Mia, Tibarn

5.0 - Ilyana, Tormod, Lucia, Danved, Sigrun

4.5 - Nealuchi

2.5 - Fiona, Vika

1.5 - Oliver

1.0 - Lyre

First things to note are:

-The original was based on hard mode. For the current one I considered normal and hard, but prioritized normal.

-My philosophies were a bit different. For example, I valued availability more highly in the original, whereas in the new I judged more on performance overall, which got a chunk of units higher scores this time. Another chunk of units that got higher scores are those who start weak but turn out strong since I gave more credit to strong endings.

-Transfers were given a separate judgment in the original. They weren't considered in the current one.

Some notable score differences:

Leanne - 9 originally, 7.5 new. I actually gave her a higher score than Rafiel originally (who is 8 in both), but her frailty, lowish move, and almost definitely never going to Endgame got her lower this time.

Jill - 7.5 originally, 8.5 w/transfers, 9.5 new. Whoa. Back then we hadn't thought of some of the strats with Jill we have today and her shaky start pushed her down for a lot of us.

Ulki - 8.5 originally, 7 new. It's rather interesting that I gave him a higher score before despite him missing some kills in hard that he doesn't in normal. I think I didn't consider gauge as much of a factor years ago.

Heather - 6 originally, 4 new. Not really sure what made me give her that 6 in the first place. I guess I overvalued her thieving.

Tanith - 4.5 originally, 5 w/transfers, 6 new. Prioritization of normal mode was a considerable factor here.

Skrimir - 4.5 originally, 7.5 new. I think the drafts I did in the years since helped me see Skrimir in a new light.

Calill, Soren, and Ilyana all got significantly higher scores. I must not have liked mages originally.

Part 1 is arguably the hardest part of the game, so being the best unit in part 1 with zero required training is pretty good. I think it merits a high ranking for Sothe. Also Sothe can take hits, just from his crazy bases. He's terrible in part 4 from a late promotion but even in part 3 he's still able to take a hit and fire back at a range. Beastkiller is actually not great because Sothe wants to wall, he doesn't really want to kill (and neither does anyone else except whoever you picked for accelerated leveling in 3-6). But eh, different values I suppose, RD is one of the games where immediate performance tends to outdo growths for all units except Jill, whose class is so broken that not leveling Jill is essentially a detriment to the whole run, second only to Haar's insane performance throughout the whole game.

Pretty much anyone who isn't Sothe, Jill and Haar could eventually be interchangeable but Sothe has irreplaceable qualities early on.