FE10 Tierlist 2017

Other way around you mean? And I agree, no way in the universe is Mia as essential to the GMs as Sothe is to earlygame DBs. Even if Sothe falls off in the end, playing without Sothe is a giant detriment to his team and part 1 is so painful without him.

And yeah Shinon ended up unexpectedly high. I overrated him a bit, didn't expect him to somehow land in top tier above even Naesala. I think having most of the mages end up in mid tier is to be expected. Magic units are not the best but there are undoubtably moments where you want a mage, due to all the cover tiles in endgame you want *some* versatility in your damage types and Micaiah and Sanaki aren't even the best units to deal with that despite being forced.

Yep, I got 'em switched. Sorry~!

I can't see too many people replicating Sothe's contributions to the DB, who arguably need him more than the GM needs Mia. The only thing I really don't like about Sothe is Bane, which I think is a terrible skill.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sothe still underrated af and Caineghis and Giffca have a strangely large gap. Nothing else immediately stands out to me.

IMO, most of the maps in 4-E are so short that formshift justifies the difference. 0.75 isn't even that much.

Anyway, thanks for your work, Jules, it was fun. =) It also motivated me to pick up RD once again (NM because the invisible enemy range in HM is so goddamn tedious), but unfortunately I won't be able to test out DLuna's suggestion for Leo because I decided to grind him up and use him for the endgame. ;) I'm at 2-E right now so I can't check, but I think his level was somewhere around 20/3. He wasn't very impressive until now because he still struggled with doubling, but I expect him to do better once he gets his personal bow.

Sothe still underrated af and Caineghis and Giffca have a strangely large gap. Nothing else immediately stands out to me.

I read your tierlist multiple times, and I have to admit I was surprised but also fascinated by some of your vote changes.

Even after playing a game for multiple years you still collect new experiences with certain characters a / o change your playstyle, and so you will come to a different opinion.

In my early times of FE10 I was totally focussed on the base levels.

The runs pretty much turned into Haar, Ike, Shinon, Mia and Laguz royals run at the end.

But after a time I also learned to deal with lower leveled units with actual great growth potential like Edward or Rolf.

Edward is like Mia, only with the issue for being part of the DB and is so way harder to be trained. Furthermore he has serious competiton with Zihark.

Rolf is 12 levels lower than Shinon. Accordingly his bases are worse, and so he can't do too much in earlygame. But he has excellent growthrates. At the end both become equally amazing. In my HM runs I usually bring Rolf instead of Shinon to the endgame because I prefer his better strength growth.

Sothe is pretty much the opposite. I loved to use him in my first runs on easy, but after playing in harder difficulties I noticed that he's suffering later on and his usefulness dropped.

IMO, most of the maps in 4-E are so short that formshift justifies the difference. 0.75 isn't even that much.

Anyway, thanks for your work, Jules, it was fun. =) It also motivated me to pick up RD once again (NM because the invisible enemy range in HM is so goddamn tedious), but unfortunately I won't be able to test out DLuna's suggestion for Leo because I decided to grind him up and use him for the endgame. ;) I'm at 2-E right now so I can't check, but I think his level was somewhere around 20/3. He wasn't very impressive until now because he still struggled with doubling, but I expect him to do better once he gets his personal bow.

Thanks for the compliment!

I found it fun too althugh it's not over yet.

I could refresh my Excel-basics a little bit by this.

Also this made me want to do a FE10 run with the worst units of this tierlist.

I've played to 1-7 yet (on normal), and I have to say that Meg and Fiona a pretty decent. However Fiona needs really REALLY much babying. The main problem of growth units. ;)

Beastkiller is actually not great because Sothe wants to wall, he doesn't really want to kill

I know that beastkiller is only a player phase weapon.

(just to equip to a weaker weapon after attacking with him)

I think people definitely overrate the importance of Sothe not being good in Part 4. Sothe is our best unit (and almost essential for essentially clearing Hard Mode I'd say) for his first 4 chapters and is very useful for the rest of Part 1+ pretty good in Part 3 and finds desert items in Part 4. Compare to someone he's below like Elincia, who only exists for 4 chapters before 4-E and isn't critical for any of them- on a basis of what impact the unit has on clearing chapters efficiently Sothe is the clear winner.

Something like Skrimir being so much higher than Tauroneo(or at all) also doesn't make much sense to me. Tauroneo is our best unit in 1-6(1) and 1-6(2) and returns to be very useful in 3-12. Skrimir has to compete with Naesala/probably Haar and Jill and only exists for 2 chapters. He's pretty mediocre in these chapters due to needing to deal with gauge, being locked to 1 range, and not having the speed to double a lot of enemies(without the Speedwing) and then he's probably not worth bringing to 4-E. Just seems like people are again placing too much emphasis on Part 4 performance and downplaying availability issues.

Edited by -Cynthia-

This was actually pretty fun. Kinda sad that it's over. And I still stand by that Zihark isn't THAT good. He's decent but not like... Better than half of the cast. Some of them like Meg, Lyre, and Fiona will forever be my favorite unholy trinity , and this pleases me that years later, people still think they are rightfully the worst characters in the game. I still think Fiona is worse, but it's so close it's not worth discussing.

I think people definitely overrate the importance of Sothe not being good in Part 4. Sothe is our best unit (and almost essential for essentially clearing Hard Mode I'd say) for his first 4 chapters and is very useful for the rest of Part 1+ pretty good in Part 3 and finds desert items in Part 4. Compare to someone he's below like Elincia, who only exists for 4 chapters before 4-E and isn't critical for any of them- on a basis of what impact the unit has on clearing chapters efficiently Sothe is the clear winner.

Something like Skrimir being so much higher than Tauroneo(or at all) also doesn't make much sense to me. Tauroneo is our best unit in 1-6(1) and 1-6(2) and returns to be very useful in 3-12. Skrimir has to compete with Naesala/probably Haar and Jill and only exists for 2 chapters. He's pretty mediocre in these chapters due to needing to deal with gauge, being locked to 1 range, and not having the speed to double a lot of enemies(without the Speedwing) and then he's probably not worth bringing to 4-E. Just seems like people are again placing too much emphasis on Part 4 performance.

I don't. The issue is that Sothe is pretty bad in part 4. Like any DB unit that's raised in part 3 starts behaving comparable to Sothe, so Sothe's godlike tendencies start to vanish after some time. Even in HM. I think people overrate the "hardest / easiest parts of the game." You still have to clear them, and having garbage units at any point will make them hard. It's just that... The DB is filled with units that need EXP desperately, and overusing Sothe can make your Part 3 and Part 4 absolute hell, and in the end Sothe doesn't give you much back for funneling tons of EXP into him. At best he's a crappier Volke-- which as you can see from most ratings here, people don't take too kindly to Volke overall. So realistically, it's fair.

Tauroneo is good for 1-6 and 3-12 (and that's even debatable because he's forced deployment puts him in an annoying spot IMO) and by 3-12, you have some decent DBers for anyone you've put effort into raising. Then is pretty mediocre for the rest of the game he appears. Leaving Resolve on him helps his performance, but it's certainly not by enough that I actually care about. People put too much emphasis on like... 1 chapter for characters being good.and the early game I mean look at that gap between Volug and Skrimir. Skrimir and Volug have darn near the same speed stat, and Skrimir destroys him everywhere else-- He comes with Resolve innately making it free, and his S rank is 3 might weaker than Volug's SS rank- which is more than made up for by Skrimir's superior strength base and growth (seriously, Volug has awful strength growth WTF and on average it's plain worse than Skrimir's base when he reaches his highest level). Yet... Volug is nearly 2 points higher than Skrimir. No. I don't think people put too much emphasis on late game. They don't put enough.

Edited by Augestein

Just seems like people are again placing too much emphasis on Part 4 performance.

That isn't surprising since that's always been what the casual FE community (mostly) places importance on, at least those "new" to the franchise. Those who haven't played for many many years.

I remember when the FE community was really young (this was going back in 2003 or so) most people would place Nino as top tier. And Marcus was considered pretty bad.

Keep in mind that a lot of newer players would think the same thing without much exposure to the rest of the community -- or if it wasn't for the fact than many veteran fans has solidified the importance of early/mid game. But it's those same veterans that likely thought much differently over a decade ago.

Sothe could easily be debated to be the best unit in the game. Someone like Jill is great in the mid-game -- but you have quite a few other powerful units at that point where Sothe really carries the early stages that's arguably the hardest part in the game.

And I still stand by that Zihark isn't THAT good.

I'd think the same if it wasn't for the fact that dodge-tanking is broken with the right setup -- and doesn't require much effort at all.

Swap affinities with Edward -- then I can really make a case where Edward is at least equal, if not better.

I don't think it was as highlighted as much as it should have, honestly.

And yes, Lyre is better than Fiona. Laguz benefit double from stat boosters and Lyre is only 1 level away from doubling everything. So she needs 2 energy drops to be usable. Fiona would still be bad with 5 of them. I suppose you can make a case with her affinity though (due to forced deployment and rescue utility?).

Edited by DLuna

I wasn't just talking about in comparison to Edward though.

I'm not either. It was just an example.

Zihark just flat out has really good bases while easily being setup to dodge 3/4 of attacks ever thrown at him. Due to speed and affinity.

Then he's also giving that avoid to someone else as well, making another unit better.

He also exists in the army with the hardest time. That makes him better than say, Mia.

In hard mode especially, you're better off just avoiding hits rather than taking them at all. Anyone that is viable at doing so is immediately great -- with Zihark's benefit of not even needing to be trained. Just casually growing a support and the Killer/Brave sword. Enough offence to kill and enough avoid to survive.

... And this is me never really paying attention to Zihark in my runs (because he's boring). Just me currently running the math... and it checks out. Giving it some more thought... he doesn't need EXP in part 1 to be solid.

Edited by DLuna

And yes, Lyre is better than Fiona. Laguz benefit double from stat boosters and Lyre is only 1 level away from doubling everything. So she needs 2 energy drops to be usable. Fiona would still be bad with 5 of them. I suppose you can make a case with her affinity though (due to forced deployment and rescue utility?).

I fail to see it when beorc can always make use of the boosts from stat boosters, as opposed to laguz who have to sit around being worthless for several turns (not to mention the part where in general, by the time they're ready to transform, the initial rush of enemies has already gone under), as well as having an innate Provoke because they're really frigging brittle untransformed.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

i think sothe diminishes before part 4. his 1-e performance is pretty shaky. part 3 his best use i would think is knife chipping, which is good, but makes him basically the same as leo. i guess beastkiller can be used as a player phase only strategy, but think plenty of other units are already doing that without as much risk. will say though one of the best things about him is that being a jeigan with low attack means it's fairly easy for him to be feeding kills as opposed to being a sponge.

I'm not either. It was just an example.

Zihark just flat out has really good bases while easily being setup to dodge 3/4 of attacks ever thrown at him. Due to speed and affinity.

Then he's also giving that avoid to someone else as well, making another unit better.

He also exists in the army with the hardest time. That makes him better than say, Mia.

And to me I think that's kinda silly on the account that Zihark and Mia aren't in the same army unless you recruit him, and in that case... Mia > Zihark. Which is why I have a hard time justifying him be that good.

Yet... Volug is nearly 2 points higher than Skrimir. No. I don't think people put too much emphasis on late game. They don't put enough.

i think the fact that someone like haar can't be deployed in most of volug's chapters is a pretty big deal though.

Edited by Radiant head

I fail to see it when beorc can always make use of the boosts from stat boosters, as opposed to laguz who have to sit around being worthless for several turns (not to mention the part where in general, by the time they're ready to transform, the initial rush of enemies has already gone under), as well as having an innate Provoke because they're really frigging brittle untransformed. Not to mention laguz leveling speed in general being so slow a Slugma's faster.

That's completely true... if we were not talking about Fiona who's worthless 100% of the time as opposed to 50%+.

So, while you've certainly made a point. It doesn't apply in this case.

And to me I think that's kinda silly on the account that Zihark and Mia aren't in the same army unless you recruit him, and in that case... Mia > Zihark. Which is why I have a hard time justifying him be that good.

But... the point is that Zihark is in the army with the most difficulty. I think you missed that.

My point was that Mia exists in an army that's better off. That's why he's better.

No. I don't think people put too much emphasis on late game. They don't put enough.

We don't because Part 4 simply isn't hard enough and you are over-saturated in great units and Gotohs (compared to any other game).

This isn't exactly FE12 or even Conquest.

Put it this way -- imagine FE7 with capped enemies in endgame... Nino would be a far better unit.

Or FE6 RDX where Wendy is absolutely (and stupidly) godlike because endgame is the hardest part.

I don't think people realize this enough. Lategame oriented units are only as valuable as the enemies they're fighting against. Otherwise they're just overkill compared to "lesser" units that can fight just fine. Pent or Seth are good examples. If they're 1RKOing enemies anyway then why do you need a unit with flashy green numbers who will just do the same thing, but needing more investment?

And speaking of Sothe, I don't even think he needs much investment just to 1RKO the spirits in endgame, if I recall (needs to have 45 ATK and 34 AS?). That's how easy it is.

Edited by DLuna

That's completely true... if we were not talking about Fiona who's worthless 100% of the time as opposed to 50%+.

So, while you've certainly made a point. It doesn't apply in this case.

At the same time, it's still easier to salvage Fiona than it'd be to salvage Lyre, who still has to contend with the plethora of disadvantages that laguz have going against them (and let's not forget that cats have one of the weakest strikes).

My major problem with Sothe is that he joins underleveled the tower.
In my runs he never can reach level 20, much less cap speed before his promotion to third tier just becuase his performance isn't all that great in part 3. It's really hard to give him levels.
He's a player phase unit like Edward. He can't tank easily unlike Volug, Jill or a Nolan and Zihark with support. His affinity gives him evasion, but not enough.

In 3-12 I find him pretty bad actually. He needs 24 speed to double most of the enemies which isn't guaranteed. He has to reach level 9 after 3-6 which is hard enough to bring to tbh. And even if he can double, two steel axes can still kill him.

In 3-13 he has a harder time with the laguz because they benefit from Ike's authority stats. Parity helps him though.
At the end of part 3 he usually is ~ level 10. It's almost impossible to give him enough levels to bring him close to level 20 in 4-P unless you give him paragon, a skill other units definitely need more than him (Jill, Ike...).
If you play 4-3 pretty much standard, he can get maybe one level. Most of the kills will go to Naesala, Skrimir and other fliers.
Another problem is that his growths aren't good enough, even if you're still willing to train him.

He normally will get land on the bench with Kurthnaga after E-3.

(also I rarely find the baselard in 4-3 because I normally beat this chapter in 5-6 turns so Sothe normally can't reach this spot in time and the other fliers must be very lucky to find it)

And speaking of Sothe, I don't even think he needs much investment just to 1RKO the spirits in endgame, if I recall (needs to have 45 ATK and 34 AS?). That's how easy it is.

yeah, the thunder spirits

No. I don't think people put too much emphasis on late game. They don't put enough.

I don't really get your point. Volug has ~9 chapters of availability(1 less if you count 1-6 as one chapter) before Skrimir shows up. Skrimir has 2 chapters in part 4 and then probably isn't even being brought to 4-E, though he would be better than Volug there. Volug's contributions before Skrimir shows up are pretty good, he's never your #1 unit really but he has high Mov and good bases. Skrimir is definitely better than Volug in Part 4, but he's not amazing or critical in these chapters. Why should we weigh Skrimir's 2 chapters where he's better higher than Volug's 9 chapters when Skrimir doesn't do anything? Volug's contributions just affect a lot more of the game than Skrimir's do.

People are getting hung on on Sothe's later performance here- I would put Sothe over Elincia even if Sothe were unavailable after Part 1. Everything after Part 1 is just gravy, he's already affected the game a lot by this point. Sothe has more Part 1 chapters than Elincia has in the entire game.

Edited by -Cynthia-

At the same time, it's still easier to salvage Fiona than it'd be to salvage Lyre, who still has to contend with the plethora of disadvantages that laguz have going against them (and let's not forget that cats have one of the weakest strikes).

Again -- that would be true... if Fiona's bases were not so mindbogglingly bad.

Lyre "only" needs 2 energy drops and a single level of BEXP to have decent offence. So long as she smokes a lot of grass as well.

Fiona needs far far more than that to do anything of value in combat.

Plus it's not all terrible to be a Laguz -- no weapon required or gold for that. And has 9 (non-restricted) movement etc...

Edited by DLuna

Something like Skrimir being so much higher than Tauroneo(or at all) also doesn't make much sense to me. Tauroneo is our best unit in 1-6(1) and 1-6(2) and returns to be very useful in 3-12. Skrimir has to compete with Naesala/probably Haar and Jill and only exists for 2 chapters. He's pretty mediocre in these chapters due to needing to deal with gauge, being locked to 1 range, and not having the speed to double a lot of enemies(without the Speedwing) and then he's probably not worth bringing to 4-E. Just seems like people are again placing too much emphasis on Part 4 performance and downplaying availability issues.

Tauroneo's great in 1-6, sure, but he's also stealing exp that the Dawn Brigade desperately need if you don't want 3-6 to spank you, and he isn't much use afterwards (I fail to see how he can be "very useful" in 3-12 when he starts in a completely awkward position).

As for 3-12 I have to agree with Levant.

Tauro starts on a wrong place. He can block the climb, that's it.

Unless you give him a speedwing he can't even double the sages and first tier soldiers.

Leonardo would be even better there because he can oneshot the peggies and maybe double the sages (if he has 16 speed).

Tauroneo is pretty good in 3-13 therefore, because he can tank decently. (take two hits by tigers) Furthermore he can restore some HP with inbue.

Also Fiona is better than Lyre simply because she doesn't cost you a slot.

Furthermore she can block a ledge in 3-13 and you could make a good support with her after 3-6.

Edited by Eleanor Hume

Just give Tauroneo the Master Crown and he can double and kill a lot of enemies on the left in 3-12. Have Jill and whoever else take the right.

Leonardo is terrible unless you turtle, he gets 2HKOd at base while like 4HKOing back and not doubling.

Edited by -Cynthia-

But... the point is that Zihark is in the army with the most difficulty. I think you missed that.

My point was that Mia exists in an army that's better off. That's why he's better.

No. I didn't. I get that Mia is in the better army and needed less. But Zihark isn't really needed either. That's my beef with it.

I don't think people realize this enough. Lategame oriented units are only as valuable as the enemies they're fighting against. Otherwise they're just overkill compared to "lesser" units that can fight just fine. Pent or Seth are good examples. If they're 1RKOing enemies anyway then why do you need a unit with flashy green numbers who will just do the same thing, but needing more investment?

Pent and Seth are not good examples. Pent and Seth start up good, and end with stats similar to what we're having on units that were raised. When Pent joins, Erk is massively underleveled in comparison, will never have A rank in staves even if he were promoted, and Pent always has more defense than Erk. Even if Erk was the exact same level Pent would still be better. He also comes with a free A support. Seth is even worse as the only noteworthy stat Franz has on him is speed eventually, and 20 speed is enough. This isn't even remotely close to the same thing here. You're not investing in either. If either got 0 stat ups the entire game, they'd STILL have use for a considerable amount of the game. Units like Sothe or Zihark cannot say the same. The issue I have is that there are certain units people have to invest in regardless and people just bypass on some and then make it a focal point on others.

Sothe on the other hand starts out really good, and becomes worse as the game goes on to the point that he's better of not being deployed by endgame. Even Zihark-- which if you casually use, doesn't suffer from this. It doesn't matter if "endgame is easy," there are enough units like say... Ike, Titania, Haar etc, that start good/fine and end up good/fine, so I think the endgame should in fact count as a weight for their final score.

45 ATK is pretty high. 34 AS isn't easy for him to reach either. That literally means Sothe needs 27 strength and the baselard (you miss the Baselard and you're screwed). Considering that he has a late promotion and terrible caps for strength in tier 2 is a recipe for disaster. Gareth with Pure Water + Tiles > Sothe for that matter.

I don't really get your point. Volug has ~9 chapters of availability(1 less if you count 1-6 as one chapter) before Skrimir shows up. Skrimir has 2 chapters in part 4 and then probably isn't even being brought to 4-E, though he would be better than Volug there. Volug's contributions before Skrimir shows up are pretty good, he's never your #1 unit really but he has high Mov and good bases. Skrimir is definitely better than Volug in Part 4, but he's not amazing or critical in these chapters. Why should we weigh Skrimir's 2 chapters where he's better higher than Volug's 9 chapters when Skrimir doesn't do anything? Volug's contributions just affect a lot more of the game than Skrimir's do.

People are getting hung on on Sothe's later performance here- I would put Sothe over Elincia even if Sothe were unavailable after Part 1. Everything after Part 1 is just gravy, he's already affected the game a lot by this point. Sothe has more Part 1 chapters than Elincia has in the entire game.

The point is that people don't put enough weight on endgame. It's easier, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't count against a person either. "Availability" is a weak argument for a person for why they are good. Realistically, it should be "how good are they when they join," and "how long they continue to be good." IE someone like Tormod deserves his low score because he starts out godlike (like seriously, he has like the same stats as Sothe with 1-2 range for like... 2 points of defense), but then leaves and comes back like trash. He's definitely worse than Sothe, not because Sothe is around longer, but because the chapters where Tormod is around are worse. Sothe never sucks as much as Tormod does when he returns. Ever. Even if Sothe gets pretty bad towards the end. Skrmir's chapters should weigh something because it's dumb to be like "well even though they have similar stats, screw that, we're just ignoring that and saying Skrimir is bad while Volug isn't because Volug was good earlier on." That literally makes no sense. It becomes Earth Avoid versus Resolve. Which I'd say that if you snagged an A support with Volug , it would be a smidgen more useful as the option to give Volug resolve exists and there's no much you can do to give Skrimir a support. However, what I don't think is that we should harp on about Skrimir's stats for why he's bad. They are Volug's stats essentially. So if we're talking about Skrimir's stats, then Volug's should be considered as well. In the same way a person might consider replacing Raven with Harken in Blazing Sword.

Which is an absolutely ridiculous way of measuring them. That's my issue.

Again -- that would be true... if Fiona's bases were not so mindbogglingly bad.

Lyre "only" needs 2 energy drops and a single level of BEXP to have decent offence. So long as she smokes a lot of grass as well.

Fiona needs far far more than that to do anything of value in combat.

Plus it's not all terrible to be a Laguz -- no weapon required or gold for that. And has 9 (non-restricted) movement etc...

Bad bases is one thing. Bad bases and a bunch of disadvantages is something else entirely. I'd rather work with someone who just has bad bases than try to work with someone who has to put up with being unable to fight without transforming, lowered exp gain when transformed, gauge (ESPECIALLY cat gauge), AND range lock in addition to bad bases. All told, while it might not be all bad to be a laguz, unfortunately, the bad points of being a laguz far and away outweigh the good. Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I see.

Honestly I haven't even thought about the master crown because I usually give them to Jill and Zihark.

But yeah, a master crown helps him.

However it's a waste in my eyes to give it to an unit who will become pointless after two maps.

I usually don't bother promoting any DB units other than Jill to tier 3 so the Master Crown isn't a big cost for me, but yeah if you're also training other units it could be a problem.

The point is that people don't put enough weight on endgame. It's easier, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't count against a person either. "Availability" is a weak argument for a person for why they are good. Realistically, it should be "how good are they when they join," and "how long they continue to be good."

I don't see how a chapter can count 'against' a unit- either they help clear a chapter or they aren't deployed/aren't available. You didn't actually address the point of how summing all a unit's contributions to beating the game is relevant you just said it's a weak argument (which is...a weak argument in itself).

Edited by -Cynthia-