Dragon Ball: Reborn as Yamcha ch 2 (Japanese only rn)

Jedi

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he trained to use the Kaioken?

Hmm, even having advanced knowledge of King Kai, I don't think he could easily go there without dying, and its clear his goal is to never die (despite the fact that death is pretty much a slap on the wrist in DBZ). Although that technically wasn't so much a slap on the wrist until later in the series... (used to be a one time wish clause but that got thrown out eventually)

Edited by Jedi

I'm retooling this thread into a general Dragon Ball discussion thread! Feel free to talk about anything upcoming or anything about the franchise, we just recently got new info on the next major Dragon Ball Super Arc and it looks hype

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2016/12/15/dragon-ball-super-upcoming-universe-survival-arc-key-visual-synopsis-released/

EVQ0tbs.jpg?1

Dragon Ball Super enters its new chapter, the “Universe Survival Arc”. As you can see from the main visual, it’ll be a full-throttle story where Goku and the rest of the Universe 7 warriors form a team to take on a tournament between universes! Artificial Human No. 17 and Majin Boo are there too, so personally I can’t contain my excitement at the thought of what kind of fights we’ll see! Look forward to this new chapter that’ll be sure to feature super-intense battles with nonstop appearances by the elites of each universe!

From the sounds of it we have a very heavily team based tournament here. #17 returning along with characters like Tien, Krillin and Roshi featured on promotional art is quite interesting, (and hype if they all do have to fight together). Gohan fans are going nuts (and justifiably so).

Interesting, I'm curious to see what they will do regarding the next sagas such as the Android saga and the Majin Bu Saga.

Perhaps we will see how "Yamcha Bu" looks like

If you've played Budokai 2 you can at least see a Tien & Yamcha Buu, and its amusing.

Edited by Jedi

Yeah, I've been following that. It's pretty much a given that the top 5 will be some arrangement of Vegeta, Frieza, Cell, Buu and Beerus. I'm guessing number 6 will be Bojack. It'd be kind of strange if he doesn't appear when some of the other movie villains do.

I'm honestly guessing King Piccolo will be in the top 5, as he hasn't shown up yet, considering the King Piccolo arc is often considered one of the best arcs in the franchise history.

If you're impatient, you can watch the individual entries daily on their HP.

[spoiler=Villain #6]Buu actually just misses the Top5 and I can get behind their reasons for this. They also more or less stated at the end of the vid that Beerus is going to be #5.

So it would surprise me if the Top4 weren't (in no particular order) Vegeta, King Piccolo, Cell and Freeza. My personal favorite would be King Piccolo, if only because of his HUGE impact on the general mood of the series. The RR arc had its dark moments, but Piccolo's started with some random mook effortlessly murdering Krillin and iirc Piccolo was the first villain who seemingly destroyed the Dragon Balls (or rather Shenlong), making all the deaths actually meaningful for a change (at least for a while :D).

I was kind of discounting King Piccolo since one of them said they wanted to fuse his spot with Piccolo Jr but was out voted..But I'm not sure what logic I was using when I came up with that idea since the way I look at it now it's basically a confirmation that he's in there.

Since this is now a general Dragon Ball thread:

The official English dub of Dragon Ball Super premiers January 7th on Toonami, along with...

Definitely excited to get more DBZ Kai, and I'm quite excited for Super as well. I didn't think much of it back when it first came out, this being the time of movie retellings and poor animation, but a lot of the stuff I've seen and heard about the show recently has been making me want to watch it more and more. Also the dub is apparently using improved animation from the infamous original airings, which is nice.

And they're done. The final ranking was

1 - Freeza

2 - Vegeta

3 - King Piccolo

4 - Cell

5 - Beerus

I personally would have switched Piccolo and Freeza, but honestly, the Top4 are pretty much who you'd expect and the order is just personal preference.

Still, as a short explanation: Vegeta on Namek is just amazing, despite or rather because of him being severely outmatched by Freezas sheer power. But he still works as a life-threatening opponent for Krillin and Gohan and the whole three-way fight for the dragon balls is as exciting as DBZ gets. And imo, Vegeta as the 'middling' party between the incredibly powerful Freeza and the relatively wimpy earthlings is mainly responsible for the tension.

Besides, as TFS said in their video about him, he's actually a villain in a broader sense of the word for almost all of DBZ. In the Android/Cell saga, he's sorta kinda on the side of the heroes, but he still actively enables Cell to reach his perfect form (he prevented Trunks from going against it), literally risking the fate of the entire world to satisfy his own lust for battle. And in the Buu saga he even goes full villain mode again before finally reforming for real. He isn't THE villain at any point past Namek (and even on Namek he temporally allies with the heroes), but he keeps being more villainious than heroic for a surprisingly long time.

And having typed that paragraph, I have to wonder if I still think Piccolo is the top villain of the franchise. I kinda do, because I'd still say that his arrival marks the most important tone shift of the series, even before the whole Into Space! business starting with the Saiyan arc and the transformation hijinks that Oolong technically started :D And arguably, Freeza is just the same concept as Piccolo (i.e. incredibly powerful ruler of the known world), just BIGGER. And Piccolo is still the first villain who temporarily removed the convenient resurrection from the plot. And with the introduction of Kami, Piccolo got a more interesting place in the DB lore posthumously via the introduciton of Kami.

I can't deny that Freeza is probably the most memorable villain of the series, with his transformations, his design and the way his power gets displayed during the Namek arc. But I still feel that Vegeta and Piccolo were more impactful than him.

Maybe it's just me but I found this episode of Super to be surprisingly adorable. Also...

...Goku does Christmas right: The best gift is the one you make yourself.

Anyway, whether it's Super or DBZ Abridged, Dragonball is really a source of positive vibes recently. I'm quite happy about that.

Edit: Oh yeah speaking of DBZ Abridged: Happy Freeza Day everyone!

Edited by BrightBow

I'm gonna start putting up MasakoX's Super reviews on here as well.

We are still in the awkward transitional phase between arcs however while we wait for the Manga to catch up (what a weird backwards twist) before February, people have generally liked the more slice of life episodes between these, but ones like this have been kind of hit & miss with people.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry mods, bumping this again.

We have some upcoming episode leaks for the episodes prior to the upcoming new arc, and it seems like Bra is finally getting born which means the whole Uub part of Z may be coming up in Super eventually down the road

Well, the new Episode of Super was surprisingly fun. And this episode has shown me something that I didn't expect to ever see in Super:

Videl beating someone up. It was only in a flashback but I take what I can get.

I wonder if some viewers are going to be confused by that scene since it never happened in the anime. The anime added a whole bunch of "Gohan saves Videl" scenarios but the one that actually happened in the manga wasn't adapted at all.

It's also unexpected that the episode wasn't really focusing on making any kind of jokes on the Great Saiyaman's expense. I guess the Dragon World is affected by the current boom of Superhero movies as well. Let's see if this lasts after people see Mr. Satan and the Great Saiyaman becoming friends because both of their mothers are named Chi-Chi.

Also, man I did not think that Jaco was so willing to accept collateral damage. There are two people in front of him so he is at least going to kill one person who is not possessed. Seriously Jaco, is that the best a Super Elite can do?

I'm also a bit surprised that this little side story turned out to be a two-parter.

I just hope this alien doesn't take over Gohan or something like that. That would be pretty dull considering that Super already had Jelly Vegeta and Black Goku. Of course that does seem very unlikely since this story has so far featured nobody who could actually take on a possessed Gohan.

Edited by BrightBow

Its nice to see some Gohan focus yeah, hopefully we'll see more in the upcoming Universal Survival Arc

Speaking of which...

"These are the 10 strongest fighters of Earth"

Many people are pissed that Trunks, Goten and Yamcha (whos gotten a resurgence of popularity in recent months) aren't there instead of say Roshi or the Androids.

Edited by Jedi The Red

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...