Dragon Ball: Reborn as Yamcha ch 2 (Japanese only rn)

Jedi

So recently, with Dragon Ball Super episode 70, having Yamcha help Goku and co win a universal baseball game, its only fitting that somehow he also got a Spinoff Manga

A group of Manga artists basically got together and with approval from Toriyama have started a series of Spinoffs, this is one of them.

qho5Fzu.jpg?1

http://imgur.com/a/b3WlL

Scans of the first chapter are here, basically some real world dude gets put into Yamcha's place, but the major difference is that he knows how things play out ahead of time and he's using his advance knowledge to deal with situations, its pretty funny so far, and its nice to see Yamcha in some kind of spotlight. Considering after Dragon Ball he was basically almost nothing but a left behind human fighter (although he had an awesome Baseball career at least), before that even became a trend.

Tenshinhan, Krillin and Yamcha have always been my favorite of Dragon Ball's cast so anything that they get these days, I take with open arms.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its amazing when you take something out of Toriyama's hands and focus on characters he refused to honestly (its how we originally got the fan favorite Bardock after all not even his idea), over Dragon Balls history he had tons of measuring stick characters for the new baddie or big guy to take out to make them look imposing.

Yamcha was the first of these, and while he got his good share of victories in Dragon Ball, the damage was done by Z, and then Krillin took his place along with Piccolo & Vegeta to be Goku's fall guys. It also doesn't help that most people started with Z and were instantly introduced to the power creep instead of growing with the characters before the Saiyan arc and seeing them do things like this

Quite honestly its weird to look back at Dragon Ball and see like how the dynamic that Goku, Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Krillin had, repeating itself again in Z and now in Super with entirely different characters most of the time, because Toriyama has an issue with character focus.

I hope one of these spinoffs ends up being about Launch, because her disappearance post Dragon Ball was honestly quite annoying.

Edited by Jedi

This is going to be interesting. I'm assuming that Tien, Piccolo and Chaotzu are the only ones that die then? That's what it seems to be at any rate. If Yamcha can survive all of that damage, then he's clearly stronger than Piccolo at this point. I'm curious how the namek Saga will change.

This is going to be interesting. I'm assuming that Tien, Piccolo and Chaotzu are the only ones that die then? That's what it seems to be at any rate. If Yamcha can survive all of that damage, then he's clearly stronger than Piccolo at this point. I'm curious how the namek Saga will change.

I'm curious with the angle they are going with this in general, and its interesting because there was a set of RPGs on the Famicom and Super Famicom where like Tien, Chaotzu and Yamcha survived the Saiyan battle and went with Gohan and Krillin to Namek and it was pretty cool.

I'm curious with the angle they are going with this in general, and its interesting because there was a set of RPGs on the Famicom and Super Famicom where like Tien, Chaotzu and Yamcha survived the Saiyan battle and went with Gohan and Krillin to Namek and it was pretty cool.

Really? Do you happen to know what those games were? That sounds really cool to be honest. And yeah, this seems really crazy, but I love alternate stories. I wonder if Yamcha and Bulma will have a child? I'm also curious if they'd give a nod to this manga in Super.

Really? Do you happen to know what those games were? That sounds really cool to be honest. And yeah, this seems really crazy, but I love alternate stories. I wonder if Yamcha and Bulma will have a child? I'm also curious if they'd give a nod to this manga in Super.

I'd start with the 2nd Famicom RPG if you plan on playing them (I find it fun still) it's called Dragon Ball Z II: Gekishin Freeza, its an RPG based on the Frieza arc with the aforementioned changes, Dragon Ball Z III focuses on pre androids and they sadly didn't go beyond that.

Then they basically merged the first Famicom RPG's into one for the Super Famicom, which is Super Saiyan Densetsu (You yourself have to get the guys to live to namek, as basically everyone is expendable except Goku & Gohan). These all have English patches you can find, while the gameplay of these can be a tad sluggish and weird at times, I find them very interesting and the animations are fun to watch.

They all utilize a card system, something that even stuck into the more modern DBZ rpgs aside from Attack of the Saiyans for the DS

Damn I'm a dragon ball nerd.

Edited by Jedi

I could go either way. He's achieved ultimate meme status in the culture, and that's pretty cool IMO. I got tired of his Wolf Fang Fist in the og DragonBall though, so I could go either way on his oldschool handling.

I hope one of these spinoffs ends up being about Launch, because her disappearance post Dragon Ball was honestly quite annoying.

Now THIS is something I'd support.

I for one fully support this. This is the equivalent of officially published, self-aware fanfiction that's tongue-in-cheek mocking an entire (shitty) genre.

idk about y'all, but imo that's fuckin sick.

Also original news story since I didn't see it posted.

I took the time to read this. I like it so far. It's kind of funny and an interesting concept.

I believe one of the side pages said "Next time we'll see what he did to properly prep" and I assume the dude trained with Roshi, Korin, and Kami, etc. (Guru too of course, thanks Hidden Power hax)

Hope i'm right and its as funny as i'd sound.

Also thanks Euklyd for posting the article.

MasakoX did a video on this as well, you may know him as Goku & Gohan in DBZAbridged

Edited by Jedi

Whats great is also like Xenoverse 2 giving him a Suped up "Evil" form is what started this whole thing.

That Yamcha mission is amazing.

My one issue with this is that it's the old, tired cliche of "person who knows everything about how the plot unfolds goes through the plot and fixes everything" that's prevalent in fanfiction.

If Yamcha does snag Bulma, it'll mean some interesting things for Vegeta's character development. It might also result in no Trunks, hence no future Trunks meaning it'll be up to Yamcha to try and convince everyone that the androids are coming. It'll also mean no medicine for Goku's viral heart disease.

If Yamcha does snag Bulma, it'll mean some interesting things for Vegeta's character development. It might also result in no Trunks, hence no future Trunks meaning it'll be up to Yamcha to try and convince everyone that the androids are coming. It'll also mean no medicine for Goku's viral heart disease.

Oh man I didn't even think of that far into the series, that'll be fun to see for sure.

My one issue with this is that it's the old, tired cliche of "person who knows everything about how the plot unfolds goes through the plot and fixes everything" that's prevalent in fanfiction.

You know I'd have the same issue if like the chapter didn't feel & read like good old Toriyama comedy to an extent. There's also a what if in Raging Blast 1 where Yamcha fights Vegeta over Bulma and somehow wins, even after Trunks comes in to save himself from being erased from history, and its hilarious.

Is it really? I thought that was really random but hilarious, but the fact that it's a thing now is great.

Well I think its at least part of the resurgence, Yamcha's had his fans over the years (more from the Dragon Ball days and his actual decent character moments in Z, such as being cool with Trunks despite you know the whole bad blood between him and Vegeta). It's nice to see them get something for their character (and I mean I already mentioned I liked the guy myself).

Now as the avid Tien/Tenshinhan fan, I'm hoping he gets something, anything although I don't think the comedic angle would work as well for Tien because he's alot more serious and was one of the few people Goku actually lost to. (Yamcha technically forced Goku to retreat but it was still played more for laughs)

Edited by Jedi

Well this is fan fiction really. It's just officially endorsed and published so hopefully that'll mean it's pretty high quality. And unlike (I assume most fan fiction) this one seems like it's going to go the full comedy route so instead go the protagonist "fixing" everything, he'll probably make poorly thought out decisions and end up making every thing worse (like I mentioned before, accidentally erasing Future Trunks for example).

Actually going back to this, I might do a run of a few of these on my channel eventually, if you'd be interested? I can speed up slower bits or cut around redundancies too so it wouldn't be a slog.

Actually going back to this, I might do a run of a few of these on my channel eventually, if you'd be interested? I can speed up slower bits or cut around redundancies too so it wouldn't be a slog.

Sure. That'd be fun. I've been really interested in DB stuff lately.

So going back to the topic at hand, does anyone want to make any guesses as to what our new Yamcha did to train so hard for the Saiyan stuff?

I'm guessing it was a combination of Roshi, Korin, and Kami, along with when Goku went to those places if not before hand, or even using methods from Z, although I doubt even our new suped up Yamcha can handle the Hyperbolic Time Chamber yet, (I mean Goku tried it in Dragon Ball and nearly died, and wasn't confident enough to try again until he was at Android arc strength).

Something I also find interesting, is that this kinda goes off of one of the Original Yamcha's character traits, he was very aware of the world and he noticed things before Goku and Krillin typically would, such as Roshi being Jackie Chun and stuff. (He knew who Ox King was by reputation, he knew of the Kamehameha etc).

Sure. That'd be fun. I've been really interested in DB stuff lately.

Alright cool! Not exactly sure when I'll get to it because of my runs of FE10 and Ys Origin, not to mention Christmas season, but I will definitely let you know when I start.

Edited by Jedi

I'm willing to give the fanfiction-esque idea a shot, this premise is just great.

My one initial criticism is that I wish it was Yamcha himself getting knowledge of the future instead of some guy getting thrown into his place. Still want to see where this goes though.

I wonder if we'll find out where Yamcha got his scars. I don't believe that's something we ever actually seen in the show. At least I don't remember a significant moment being made about it.

Edit: Oh wait. Just read the manga. I notice he doesn't have his scars fighting the Sabimen. Hmm...I bet they're going somewhere with that.

Edited by Jotari

I wonder if we'll find out where Yamcha got his scars. I don't believe that's something we ever actually seen in the show. At least I don't remember a significant moment being made about it.

Yeah we never found out how, but I guess it just happened during his training for the final Tenkaichi Budokai of Dragon Ball.

He just kinda shows up with them at the tournament. Not even the DS game "Attack of the Saiyans" goes into it, despite going into what Krillin, Tien and Yamcha did before going to that tournament.

Edited by Jedi

Does he go for Lunch? I mean, her and Tien never happened since Toriyama just literally forgot about her.