How does one get rid of an annoying girl?

Zerxen

I am a male student and currently being pestered by this girl. This girl makes the most random comments to me such as "Hi Zerxen! Love you- gonna marry you one day!" Thing is I do not like her whatsoever and did not do anything that suggests that I do. We only talked to each other a handful of times and yet she does this sort of thing to me in public, having made an entire classroom laugh at me. I don't know her well enough but from what I have seen, this girl is fake.

Loud, firm 'no'.

Since she's harassing you I see nothing wrong with you announcing loudly, in front of all your friends, for her to leave you alone. Then, even if she fails to listen, at least your classmates will know you're doing nothing to provoke it.

First tell her privately, firmly, that you're not interested. I can't say what exactly is going on, since some people don't take queues as well as others. Maybe she's interested in you and not good at expressing it. If you haven't said anything one way or another, she make take your silence as a sign that you're okay with it. Flatly telling her that you're not interested will send her the message without embarrassing her, if she was genuine and not just trying to annoy you.

Then, if she does it again, do so publicly. In most cases, people will leave you alone if you tell them you're not interested, so I reserve public embarrassment for people who persist after a private rejection.

Say you moved to Canada

I'm going to echo what a few others have said and politely say "back off". Politely. I've had a few girls annoy me before (none going as far as to say they'd marry me, though). Usually it was just a one time thing, but if it continued, I told them to stop. Most of the time they did. Other times you'd have a girl follow you around I fail to see the bad side to this.

Yeah, just tell her, firmly, that you're not interested. If you're still a minor, maybe report her to a relevant adult for her misbehavior. Don't be cruel, of course, but stand up for yourself and your boundaries.

Also, Augestein, even if she does genuinely like him, that's a bad way of expressing it, and she shouldn't be rewarded for it. Ignoring it and hoping she mellows out about it isn't really a good way to handle it.

Zerxen, it's up to you how you handle it, of course. Just know that you're not obligated to be happy about it or anything, and you deserve to have your boundaries respected.

Edited by Topaz Light

Yeah, just tell her, firmly, that you're not interested. If you're still a minor, maybe report her to a relevant adult for her misbehavior. Don't be cruel, of course, but stand up for yourself and your boundaries.

Also, Augestein, even if she does genuinely like him, that's a bad way of expressing it, and she shouldn't be rewarded for it. Ignoring it and hoping she mellows out about it isn't really a good way to handle it.

Zerxen, it's up to you how you handle it, of course. Just know that you're not obligated to be happy about it or anything, and you deserve to have your boundaries respected.

I don't know how it is now for schools, but I found reporting said incidences didn't really do much on the account that the person "wasn't hurting you."

I most certainly don't condone to it, but I find that conversations to that degree of insanity like "I'm going to marry you" don't even warrant a response. It's so outlandish that even so little as acknowledging it even to say "no" keeps the ordeal going as it gives her something to bounce off of. In this case, it's not a matter of hoping she mellows out, but more so making it clear that this sort of behavior isn't even worth acknowledging. I agree that it's a terrible way of expressing that she likes him, but in terms of methods of expressing one's feelings towards someone, I'd much rather have that over say... What some guy that liked me did, and in public forced himself on me into an embrace with him. That's not something I can effectively ignore, as it goes beyond merely saying things to me for me to have his/her attention.

I agree on boundary respects. It's just I know in a lot of school aspects, most adults aren't going to do much about that because what's she's doing will be considered "harmless." I'm not saying to rule that option out however.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you should just ignore her. Telling someone with authority about her (teachers, counselors, whatever) probably won't help you, if anything they might think it's cute or just tell you to suck it up.

Confronting her could work out in your favor, but could also make the situation stick longer. I think if you confront her it gives her the chance to evaluate how she's effecting you, and she might back off and respect your boundaries. But, you might play more into whatever fantasy she might have - she could be doing this for your attention, be it positive or negative.

In the end it's your choice OP. I hope things go well for you whatever you choose.

Edited by Moonstone