Let's Talk FE15

Esme

You all know very well it's coming, sooner or later. Our beloved dating simulator with a tactics minigame tacked on prints too much money for IS to just give up on it. The question is... What new things do you want to see from the next installment? Are there any old mechanics you'd like IS to bring back? Is there a current mechanic you'd like to see them rework or get rid of? Would you rather it be a remake of an older FE or something new? Do you want it to be on the 3DS or the Switch? Why is Meg so perfect?

Personally, I'd like to see something new, though I wouldn't mind a remake. I mean, if IS dangled in front of me a chance to play with Alm, Leif, Hector or Niime in a sick new model with a sick new art style, you bet your ass I'd be all over that. Still, I'd like to see IS deliver something completely new to the table. They did some interesting stuff with the classes in Fates (Like giving us a cool Bow + Staves class), so I'm excited to see what they might do next.

Anyway, share your thoughts. I'd like to hear what you guys want.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its something new I kind hope they just continue with the tweeks Fates did, and take more risks in the gameplay department, Fates changed things up in mostly a good way, so to see other new ideas get tried at least would be nice.

Although I will forever want dismount and lower stat caps back, I figure they won't ever be, and thats fine, I can just stick with the Kaga Era games for that or his post IS games for it when I'm feeling in the mood for that.

I'm still gonna go with my theory that FE15 will be using the world we were shown in the leaks for FE Mobile, so mobile can be a forwarding marketing device for 15.

Edited by Jedi

I won't say no to a good remake, but I'm not actively hoping for one either. As Jedi said, I think Fates is doing good things for the gameplay so I don't see a reason to stray far from it besides marriage/children. What I'd like to see stay most of all is pair-up, as it appears in Fates. It adds a lot of extra strategic depth, especially since it can be used by enemies. As far as things that aren't prominent in Fates, I'd like to see a return of Shove, Rescue and Canto, and Light/Dark/Anima magic. Lastly, I think characters should have smaller support pools for more dedicated characterization.

I think the setting should be completely separate from other stories in the series. No canon outrealms please.

I won't say no to a good remake, but I'm not actively hoping for one either. As Jedi said, I think Fates is doing good things for the gameplay so I don't see a reason to stray far from it besides marriage/children. What I'd like to see stay most of all is pair-up, as it appears in Fates. It adds a lot of extra strategic depth, especially since it can be used by enemies. As far as things that aren't prominent in Fates, I'd like to see a return of Shove, Rescue and Canto, and Light/Dark/Anima magic. Lastly, I think characters should have smaller support pools for more dedicated characterization.

I think the setting should be completely separate from other stories in the series. No canon outrealms please.

Going to agree with smaller support pools, I think its part of what makes some of the GBA and Tellius support writing so strong, is that they weren't stressed to make supports for almost the entire cast interacting with one another regardless of how much chemistry they have.

Choices. Fates had one obvious one

[spoiler=Conquest]and Shura's recruitment, which is exactly the kind of choice I want

and I'd like to see more of those. If IS wanted to get fancy, have it affect support pools (so if the army goes to Point A, they miss out recruiting Unit B, but open up a route to Point C, where Units D and E can be recruited). The core gameplay is still fun, and I like the emphasis on enemy placement/skills as opposed to stat inflation.

I'd actually prefer the newest FE game to stray radically from Fates. For one, it'd be interesting just for the sake of diversity (GBA FE was great but I wouldn't want every FE game to play like those), and at the end of the day, I still think pair up is my least favourite part of the newer games (although Dual Strike is great and makes soooooooooo much sense, it feels very weird going back to past FE games where this isn't a thing). And yeah, I'd appreciate the newer story being less uhhhh...pandering. Something more in line with what any of the first 11 games had to offer would be more interesting to me. Preferably without a self insert character. Also

You all know very well it's coming, sooner or later. Our beloved dating simulator with a tactics minigame tacked on prints too much money for IS to just give up on it.

This is like the best thread opening line ever.

While I'm mostly indifferent to a remake of an earlier FE game, I would much rather a brand new world and cast of characters. To be honest, I feel like FE needs a "clean slate" of sorts considering the amount of complaints and missed opportunities Fates brought about.

As for game play, I would very much like to see the return of attack and guard stance. I feel the changes they made to the pair up system in Fates was wonderful. While I like the thought of each weapon having an effect, there needs to be a solid reason to choose a Silver Sword over a forged Iron Sword. Essentially, the weapon and forge system needs to be rebalanced. Also, I don't mind if weapon durability returns, but I will admit I am fond of not having to worry about it. Personal skills were a nice touch, but I would rather all characters' personal skills had a proper use and didn't revolve around odd, improbable or disadvantageous situations. Personal weapons could return as well, but, again, I would like a solid reason to use them over other weapons.

In terms of narrative, I agree with the majority for a smaller cast of characters. While I know it doesn't guarantee a well-written cast, I certainly believe it would help the situation. I don't particularly mind marriage in supports, but I do feel that the compatibility between characters needs to be taken into account as well as the pacing between each support rank needs to be paid attention to. The story, I don't mind much about what it is, but I will admit I want a tale of conquest, rebellion and liberation for the next game. Base conversations need to make a return, detailing certain events that happened in the story and snippets about the party and enemies. I liked My Castle, and I do think it could work again, but it should work like a My Camp instead or something.

I also want the Live2D character models to come back. Just a side note. Developers/writers, be careful when plotting the story. Look for plot holes. Don't fill up those plot holes with idiotic garbage. Don't revolve character personalities around a singular trait that, when taken away, the entire character falls apart. Take care when crafting antagonist(s) as they are just as important as the protagonist(s). A weak antagonist can destroy a story just as much as a weak protagonist. Use common sense when making the next game.

Like, I just want some TLC to be put into the next FE game. That's all. It deserves some TLC.

Edited by saisymbolic

I'm kinda with the rest of you, I don't mind a re-make (Hey FE2 complete the little Archenea trilogy) but then if we got a new game, keep fates dual system since it makes awakenings look even more broken than it was, and maybe give everyone shove/rescue rather than just cavaliers and oni savages.

Things I'd personally like is it to be a single game, I feel thats a one trick pony, Dismount but not forced, weapon wight and CON/Build, just to make unlimited weapon usage that bit more balanced and for rescue to be reasonable. Story premote for main character, A rank support ending not just marriage.

Its that or this to turn out they're making a new advance wars...

I'm hoping the magic system will get a bit more meat to it again. Perhaps having every anima element have its own magic line is a bit to much but I've never liked the system of Fates or Shadow dragon where every king of magic, from wind to dark is put into one magic line either. It makes magic feel far less diverse than it really is. The GBA games had a good middle ground.

The villains need a bit more work next time and I think they will get some much needed attention from the writers this time around. Not that Fates and Awakening were lacking in dumb ideas when it came to their villains(hello Gooron) but they were also a bit of a victim of their circumstances. Awakening had to cram in far to much because it was supposed to be the last game and its possible that the Fate villains received less attention because the writers assumed the siblings would fill the antagonist role in more interesting ways. If they keep getting criticized it also just makes sense to improve in that area.

I wonder what the difficulty is going to be. In Fates they gave themselves the ability to chicken out of that choice and gave ourselves two different versions, one piss easy and the other very hard. I don't think they can get away with doing that again. I may not like it but I feel the next FE is going to be closer to Birthright than to conquest.

Lastly I think a little self respect wouldn't be amiss. The development of Fates makes me believes IS were still scared of the days the series was almost canceled and as a result got downright desperate to a shameless extend. This is a likely explanation why they just didn't want to let so much Awakening features go or expanded upon them despite the premise being worse off for it. Why else add complete clones of Awakening characters, bring back kids despite the story having no place for them or expand on the ''dating sim'' aspect by making the soldiers of a medieval fantasy behave as if they are pokemon.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

A remake of Gaiden would be nice. It's the only one that is still stuck with it's NES graphics, and old clunky mechanics.

Also, limited supports and no marriage and children, for at least the next game. No avatar either.

And I hope IS doesn't forget to add the feet of the characters.

Sorry, did I miss something confirming a new title? I know the Miitomo stuff is building up to FEMobile, but did more info come out? Or is this just waiting for the inevitable?

Either way, it really depends on what it gets released on. If it goes on the 3DS, I won't be surprised if it stay pretty similar to Fates. Which I haven't played in full, so I don't know what to think of Conquest/Revelations. Certainly the supports need a bit of help (the skinship can just go: do not want in any form.) and the story does need improving, but it's better at punishing you for poor planning and formations, Dual Guard isn't op and with some improvements in maps and placement, who knows, we might finally stop complaining. The dichotomy of weapons can go, actually. It's a bit imbalanced.

If it's on the switch, I'm not sure what way they'd go on it, but it might just be the start of a new era of the series. How it does is another thing.

And I'd actually doubt remakes: Remember FE11 and 12's receptions?

Sorry, did I miss something confirming a new title? I know the Miitomo stuff is building up to FEMobile, but did more info come out? Or is this just waiting for the inevitable?

It's just talking about the inevitable. I say it'll probably be at least another year before we hear anything about a new FE coming out (aside from FE mobile that is).

I'd be willing to give the Avatar another chance. It can be done well, other games have done so (see: Xenoblade Chronicles X where the Avatar is completely irrelevant to the main plot but still gets to interact with other characters in sidequests and such) but FE hasn't quite gotten it right. I'd say a mix of Mark from FE7 (complete blank slate with no personality) and Robin (the army's tactician, the literal role the player has). Or to make it more simple: Mark from FE7 but playable. Support conversations could be an issue, but it might work if they do it in a way similar to the "silent protagonist" option for the Awakening Avatar. Or alternatively have it that you can pick from a list of personalities for the Avatar and each personality has a limited support pool. To give an example of how this would work in Awakening, say there are three personality types: Heroic, Pragmatic, and Supportive. A Heroic Avatar would support with characters who would likely gel in personality with the heroic type (ie: Frederick, Stahl, Cordelia, Cherche [the knightly types essentially]), a Pragmatic Avatar would support with some of the darker and less savory characters in the army (ie: Gaius, Tharja, Henry), and a Supportive Avatar would support with characters who are more introverted or awkward and needing of support (ie: Sumia, Olivia, Lon'qu)

It's just talking about the inevitable. I say it'll probably be at least another year before we hear anything about a new FE coming out (aside from FE mobile that is).

I'd be willing to give the Avatar another chance. It can be done well, other games have done so (see: Xenoblade Chronicles X where the Avatar is completely irrelevant to the main plot but still gets to interact with other characters in sidequests and such) but FE hasn't quite gotten it right. I'd say a mix of Mark from FE7 (complete blank slate with no personality) and Robin (the army's tactician, the literal role the player has). Or to make it more simple: Mark from FE7 but playable. Support conversations could be an issue, but it might work if they do it in a way similar to the "silent protagonist" option for the Awakening Avatar. Or alternatively have it that you can pick from a list of personalities for the Avatar and each personality has a limited support pool. To give an example of how this would work in Awakening, say there are three personality types: Heroic, Pragmatic, and Supportive. A Heroic Avatar would support with characters who would likely gel in personality with the heroic type (ie: Frederick, Stahl, Cordelia, Cherche [the knightly types essentially]), a Pragmatic Avatar would support with some of the darker and less savory characters in the army (ie: Gaius, Tharja, Henry), and a Supportive Avatar would support with characters who are more introverted or awkward and needing of support (ie: Sumia, Olivia, Lon'qu)

I quite honestly really like this concept for the avatar, I hope they see this somehow haha.

Seeing as a lot of my thoughts have already been brought up more eloquently than I could've put them myself, I'll just chime in and say that I think that, while I like The Geek's take on an avatar, I think that including one in the first place is to put yourself at a disadvantage writing-wise. It's impossible to please everyone with them, and we've seen that Intelligent Systems' handling of them has been less than stellar so far. I know a lot of people like Mark from Blazing Sword, but to me it was just jarring when they turned to look at you and talk to an invisible brick wall, reminding myself that I was playing a game and pulling me out of my immersion.

With characters that have less of a connection to the player, you're more free to do whatever the plot requires. Want to invite Sigurd to a spicy barbeque? You can do that. Want Lyon to have a connection to the main characters? You can do that, and while I suppose it wouldn't be impossible to do the same with an avatar, I would be incredibly put off by constantly being told what to think or feel about a character, which is what happened while playing Fates.

I don't think the avatar system will go anywhere, nor do I think they'll change the support system dramatically since quite a few number of people seem to really enjoy that aspect of the recent games, but I think removing them would make it easier for Intelligent Systems to write a story. Which, of course, means they probably couldn't care less.

You know I was thinking, the idea of choosing a country to side with in Fates was interesting, and maybe they could something like that in larger scale in FE15.

Perhaps something like the main character being in a mercenary company like Ike, but you chose the country you side with, but instead of two, there would be more countries to pick.

Although perhaps too many choices would hurt the narrative.

Another interesting idea would be the Avatar being a retainer to the main lord, but instead of stealing the spotlight like Kris, it could be something like the story of the main lord as seen from their retainer's point of view.

You know I was thinking, the idea of choosing a country to side with in Fates was interesting, and maybe they could something like that in larger scale in FE15.

Perhaps something like the main character being in a mercenary company like Ike, but you chose the country you side with, but instead of two, there would be more countries to pick.

Although perhaps too many choices would hurt the narrative.

Another interesting idea would be the Avatar being a retainer to the main lord, but instead of stealing the spotlight like Kris, it could be something like the story of the main lord as seen from their retainer's point of view.

Keep in mind they couldn't stick to, or for that matter even handle, two choices.

I heard someone mention it before but I'd like to echo the sentiment that Base Conversations should come back. We need more people reacting to current events.

This is what I'm hoping for. I like having a customizable unit but a limitless support pool guaranteed a bland personality and the copious amounts of player worship from being the main character (not that competent writers couldn't have avoided it) detracted from the story's potential. A supporting character with a personality you can choose would solve most of the problems with the current Avatar.

Seeing as a lot of my thoughts have already been brought up more eloquently than I could've put them myself, I'll just chime in and say that I think that, while I like The Geek's take on an avatar, I think that including one in the first place is to put yourself at a disadvantage writing-wise. It's impossible to please everyone with them, and we've seen that Intelligent Systems' handling of them has been less than stellar so far.

It's impossible to please everyone even with characters you don't customize in anyway, but if you could at least give players more of a choice so they don't have to settle for Blandy McFriendswitheveryone. Give me a well written character and I won't complain if he doesn't say the exact things I would say in that situation.

It's impossible to please everyone even with characters you don't customize in anyway, but if you could at least give players more of a choice so they don't have to settle for Blandy McFriendswitheveryone. Give me a well written character and I won't complain if he doesn't say the exact things I would say in that situation.

Hah, I should've expected this response, shouldn't I? While you've most definitely got a point with that, keep in mind that the avatar's personality would revolve around a specific trait, and I'm not sure that's so much more of an improvement, as it would get tiring after a while. If we go by The Geek's post, you've also got to consider people who indentify with several of those available traits and would feel strange choosing one over the other.

My point about how the avatar is treated by the narrative remains unchanged as well. All three avatars that have had a proper role in the narrative have to varying degrees ecplised other characters, and we've got little reason to expect that's something that'll change, unless they really listen to the feedback after Fates and how Revelation ended.

All I'm saying is that you're allowed more freedom with characters who aren't supposed to be the player. Naturally, since the avatar is most likely not going anywhere, it would indeed do wonders for the replayability if we could add just a bit more customization and flair to their personalities, I'm not arguing against that, even though I think its execution would be problematic.

Edited by Thane

The main thing I want to see revised in the next game is the skill system. The whole gaining skills by leveling in certain classes is fine but I don't want it to bee the only way skills are used in the series. I'd like to go back to the time when they're a resource you can distribute throughout your army. I feel Radiant Dawn is the only game in the series that actually managed to pull that version of it off well (which is honestly rather surprising, it isn't all that complicated) so it's a shame we only had easily redistributable skills in one game.

After that something that I'd most like to see is a development of the branching narrative. But instead of it being a single choice at the start of the game branching into several paths, let it be a choice made later in the game (or better yet an accumulation of small choices. Some of which being gameplay based like keeping certain NPCs alive.) This would mean more chapter overlap and thus less work for the developers and (potentially) a more cohesive narrative. Instead of basically making three games with the same battle system that are mostly unrelated in terms of plot. I'm thinking something along the lines of this.

A B C

| | |

| | |

| | |

\ / /

\ / /

\ / /

\/ /

| /

| /

| /

| /

|/

|

|

|

Start

Though not exactly that. I'm thinking like five endings or so with varying degrees of overlap (like for a few only the final chapter need be different). They also wouldn't necessarily even have to be the same length or finish with equal amounts of conclusion. You could have premature endings and stuff like the game finishing after only fifteen chapters because your character messed something up along the way.

Edited by Jotari

I'd be interested in seeing the FE4 child system redone in a new way for the modern generation. Maybe we could even have a 3rd generation!

Hah, I should've expected this response, shouldn't I? While you've most definitely got a point with that, keep in mind that the avatar's personality would revolve around a specific trait, and I'm not sure that's so much more of an improvement, as it would get tiring after a while. If we go by The Geek's post, you've also got to consider people who indentify with several of those available traits and would feel strange choosing one over the other.

My point about how the avatar is treated by the narrative remains unchanged as well. All three avatars that have had a proper role in the narrative have to varying degrees ecplised other characters, and we've got little reason to expect that's something that'll change, unless they really listen to the feedback after Fates and how Revelation ended.

All I'm saying is that you're allowed more freedom with characters who aren't supposed to be the player. Naturally, since the avatar is most likely not going anywhere, it would indeed do wonders for the replayability if we could add just a bit more customization and flair to their personalities, I'm not arguing against that, even though I think its execution would be problematic.

I think some people put too much stock into "I am my Avatar". Unless the character acts completely contrary to logic and decency (as Kamui frequently did), I won't be bothered by how they differ from me. If people can replay any other Fire Emblem countless times with a hero you can't customize, I'm sure they'll manage with a more pre-defined "Avatar". In terms of character depth and plot significance, I'm imagining someone like Soren, ie someone who is significant to the party but is not central to the story.

After that something that I'd most like to see is a development of the branching narrative. But instead of it being a single choice at the start of the game branching into several paths, let it be a choice made later in the game (or better yet an accumulation of small choices. Some of which being gameplay based like keeping certain NPCs alive.) This would mean more chapter overlap and thus less work for the developers and (potentially) a more cohesive narrative. Instead of basically making three games with the same battle system that are mostly unrelated in terms of plot. I'm thinking something along the lines of this.

If we use Fates as a standard for content and take every unique chapter from the 3 routes, I think they could make a reasonably long game with significant diverging elements. I'd happily pay $60-80 for a single Fire Emblem game with 60ish original chapters (for it's total content, not for a single playthrough). Each "route" could be roughly 30 chapters, and following your diagram, the break up could be something like 20 chapters shared between A and B with 10 chapters leading to their own ending and route C only sharing the first 10 chapters with the first two routes.

I wonder if significant route differences will remain Fates' gimmick.... That would be a shame. Although a greater shame would be a repeat of Fates.

Edited by NekoKnight

I think some people put too much stock into "I am my Avatar". Unless the character acts completely contrary to logic and decency (as Kamui frequently did), I won't be bothered by how they differ from me. If people can replay any other Fire Emblem countless times with a hero you can't customize, I'm sure they'll manage with a more pre-defined "Avatar". In terms of character depth and plot significance, I'm imagining someone like Soren, ie someone who is significant to the party but is not central to the story.

I definitely agree with that sentiment, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of people do. There's a clear distinction between uncustomizable main characters and customizable ones.

Still, we can always hope they improve upon the formula somehow, which is what i hope they'll do with the support system as well. At the very least I'd like to see some more platonic conversations between two characters of the opposite gender.

Turn back the amount of stuff in the story.

FE13 at least tried too many things at once and it hurt the overall product. Focus on ONE arc. Don't fragment it. Same goes for the way Fates did, they tried to write three stories and they all suffered.

And my impossible wishlist:

Remove avatar, pair up, marriage before epilogue, children, and reclassing. Gone. Away.

FE10 skill system, but with the locked skills not taking up your units capacity.

GBA/FE9 type supports. Both kinds of growth included.

One or two main protagonist characters. Don't go Fates route and include 6 where most get ignored.

No comically evil main villains with no backstory.

Basically make the game Not-Awakening.

This was discussed a while ago in a different topic IIRC, but I would actually like it if the self-insert character was given a more minimalistic treatment, like Mark was in FE7 :0 I know better than to realistically expect that, ofc, hahaha... IS is unlikely to change what's been working for them so far with Awakening and Fates, even if it includes the player-worship and weird/bland writing of the PC, but I can hope... haha...

I wouldn't object to the FE10 skill system where the emphasis is more on personal skills as well.

Also, actual nuanced/relatable/tragic villains like Lyon would be nice.

EDIT: Also (and less important overall, but) I'd like to see better animations for the various magics. A few in Fates were pretty cool/all right (Ragnarok / Odin's Grimoire were cool), but hell, even the high-level magic doesn't quite hit the level of impact that even basic-level magic had in the GBA games. It's a shame too, because IIRC, the magic animations in the Tellius games weren't exactly bad, and it seems like they have the technology to at least equal that. Really a nitpick, I admit, but the magic animations were so lackluster in Fates and esp Awakening and I'd like to see them at least try to recapture some of that old 'magic' lol...

Edited by BANRYU