Let's Talk FE15

Esme

Oh boy.... this will take some time. I will bold my answers within the quote....

You all know very well it's coming, sooner or later. Our beloved dating simulator with a tactics minigame tacked on prints too much money for IS to just give up on it.

Nice.

The question is... What new things do you want to see from the next installment?

I want them to be bold. Whether it's trying something from older games or trying something completely new. Awakening is okay, I guess. And Fates was top notch in gameplay and some of its bold moves. But go further than that IntSys!

Are there any old mechanics you'd like IS to bring back?

Good story. *blows airhorns*

But seriously. I'd stay the magic triangle from the GBA games. Classes like Bishop. As well as really try hard to make the magic types feel very different. I liked it alot in Tellius with Wind being super effective against Fliers, Fire against beast, and Thunder against Dragons.

Is there a current mechanic you'd like to see them rework or get rid of?

A tweaking of weapon balance of Fates. I adore it, but some things are a bit wack. Hand axes and javelins not being able to double is great. But was lowering your speed by 5 AND preventing you from crit really necessary? Also, fine with infinite use weapons, but slayer weapons NEED a limited number of uses.

Also, not really a mechanic. But I don't want them to do this 3 route shit again. I am glad there are noticeable differences in the different routes.... there are quite a few reused maps and the story does not feel fleshed out in any of them.

Would you rather it be a remake of an older FE or something new?

Something new. Fates is fine for the most part. But I do not want children and avatars to plague the older games.

Do you want it to be on the 3DS or the Switch?

Indifferent. For the hell of it let's say Switch. Console/handheld hybrid is cool stuff.

Why is Meg so perfect?

She is adorable and I want to make her good even if the odds are against her.<3

Tbh, I'm a sheep that would buy whatever shit game they produce.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the way Conquest did the battles and did pair up so I want those things to stay, I want the magic triangle back because it was really cool, I also want limited support pools and I like the idea of player choices deciding who a player's avatar can support, if they insist on kids I want it like FE 4 where there is a time lapse and the kids grow up like normal people instead of some dumb time world that makes zero sense and I would love gaiden chapters to make a come back because they made replay rewarding. Of course there are other things I would like but these are my top five.

Tbh, I'm a sheep that would buy whatever shit game they produce.

As much as I'd like to think of myself as a wise consumer of video games no matter how crappy it is, curiosity will drive me to buy it anyways, if they kept that crap quality after that I wouldn't buy the sequel though.

I'd like to see them move the series forward so I would like to see a new entry no remakes please. Coolest thing I think they could do is to increase dynamism of the series. Basically taking what FE 6 & 7 did with alternate chapters and Gaiden chapters and taking it to the next level. Basically imagine if in one map you failed to complete a certain optional objective you get a alternate version of a different map. I could also have optional objectives that are not mutually completable in the map and you have to choose one or the other to allowing you to branch paths and take different maps in different ways. This would result in an overall shorter game but I think it's worth it for a more dynamic game. One thing I do want to make sure of though is unlike 6 & 7 how things change should not be based on something that is very nebulous and hard to read such as unit levels it would be best if these are decided by things you actually do in the prior map, rather than things that happened over the course of the game. This would necessitate the removal of children as Gaiden chapters would all have to be optional side ventures that you earn as the story progresses possibly leading into each other or connected in someway allowing for alternate routes. As far as keeping a cohesive story goes just by making them all basically lead to the same conclusion, but offering different insights like 6 & 7 should work.

I'd also like things like height mechanics and magic triangle back but those take a backseat to the above suggestion.

Edited by Locke087

Our beloved dating simulator with a tactics minigame tacked on

*YOUR beloved dating simulator with a tatics minigame tacked on.

They need to step away from focusing on supports, and- i dunno, make a better tactical RPG.

edit: oh yeah, and fuck avatar characters. I have hated the concept since FE7. It feels weird to have your characters worship you for no apparent reason, stroking your ego at any chance they get.

Edited by NOTchazbc24

It's hard to please everyone, but all I'm hoping for with FE15 is that it's good enough that the amount of complaints are very minimum.

edit: which at this point, I'm not sure if that is realistically possible actually

Edited by Kurosé

It's hard to please everyone, but all I'm hoping for with FE15 is that it's good enough that the amount of complaints are very minimum.

edit: which at this point, I'm not sure if that is realistically possible actually

Everything will always have its critics, and that's a good thing if the critique is thoughtfully delivered and can be useful for something, be it debate or even influence whatever product, policy or what have you in question in a hopefully positive direction. There'll be plenty of criticism raised against Fire Emblem 15 and all of its successors, just like the same can be said for its predecessors.

What we should hope for is that the general consensus isn't a negative one.

Everything will always have its critics, and that's a good thing if the critique is thoughtfully delivered and can be useful for something, be it debate or even influence whatever product, policy or what have you in question in a hopefully positive direction. There'll be plenty of criticism raised against Fire Emblem 15 and all of its successors, just like the same can be said for its predecessors.

Yeah that is true.

^This is basically what I meant (could've worded my og post better). I just hope FE15 is really great overall.

Simple, I just want the game to be fun. I can accept any degree of shit narrative so long as I still enjoy the gameplay. This is why I'm highly forgiving to Fates' story, but give RD's a lot of shit, because I consider Fates a great game while I, at the best of times, only consider RD okay.

As for mechanics changes, I'd love to get Dismount back as far fetched as it is and keep Fates pair up. I'd also like a hybrid of Fates' weapon system and durability. Just, PLEASE no weapon weight, it's either made the game feel flat out sexist or renders itself completely redundant. I'm okay with FE3-4 weight, but I prefer the Fates system by far.

As for Avatars, keep them tbh unless it's a remake. I love the ability to decide what my character is, and while the execution so far in terms of plot has been bleh, I tend to make up my own story for FE anyway so... I'm okay with keeping marriage too, but only bring back kids if we have a reasonable explanation this time.

I don't know if this is relevant, but

[spoiler=something about avatars]What truly defines an avatar character? What specifications pushes a player character over the line of being their own entity into the territory of being an avatar, I suppose would be a clearer question.

I ask because, despite all intents and purposes, Kris, Robin and Corrin were all predetermined characters we were simply able to customize the hair, face, name, secondary class and partner of. Despite that, however, they still had a predetermined personality we could not change or influence no matter what.

Does being able to name and edit the appearance of a character make them an avatar? Does that mean Cloud Strife, Squall Leonhart and the rest of the FF protagonists are avatars because we can name them and somewhat dictate what kind of battle role they take? Does having or not having dialogue or speech constitute being an avatar? Does having certain personality traits that we as people are able to latch onto and unconsciously project onto the player character make them into avatars?

What if the main player character/lord of the next game was the same? If we were only able change their hair color and face, but they still retained a predetermined name, choices in story and class, would they then still be an avatar?

I'm genuinely curious of what people think. If this is inappropriate for this topic (which it probably is), I'll make another topic in the appropriate section when I reach my desktop as I'm currently on mobile.

(I spoilered to cut the length.)

Edited by saisymbolic

Looking at this vein of conversation, I almost wonder if it might be a good idea for IS to go the route of Squeenix and Bravely Default / those types of games and continue making new progressions in the vein of Awakening and Fates, while also making a new/spinoff series of FE or FE-like games that cater to those of us who prefer the 'classic' experience-- since Conquest apparently didn't do enough in that regard lol.

Since Fates' attempts to please everyone don't seem to have succeeded as much as some people would have liked (not gonna make any statements on whether some expectations were realistic or not), dividing further into the two camps of fans and specializing each subset towards both might be a decent route. Although, I don't know how financially viable that would be from a business standpoint.

I don't know if this is relevant, but

[spoiler=something about avatars]What truly defines an avatar character? What specifications pushes a player character over the line of being their own entity into the territory of being an avatar, I suppose would be a clearer question.

I ask because, despite all intents and purposes, Kris, Robin and Corrin were all predetermined characters we were simply able to customize the hair, face, name, secondary class and partner of. Despite that, however, they still had a predetermined personality we could not change or influence no matter what.

Does being able to name and edit the appearance of a character make them avatar? Does that mean Cloud Strife, Squall Leonhart and the rest of the FF protagonists are avatars because we can name them and somewhat dictate what kind of battle role they take? Does having or not having dialogue or speech constitute being an avatar? Does having certain personality traits that we as people are able to latch onto and unconsciously project onto the player character make them into avatars?

What if the main player character/lord of the next game was the same? If we were only able change their hair color and face, but they still retained a predetermined name, choices in story and class, would they then still be an avatar?

I'm genuinely curious of what people think. If this is inappropriate for this topic (which it probably is), I'll make another topic in the appropriate section when I reach my desktop as I'm currently on mobile.

This is a good question I think; in a manner of speaking, all the FE protags could be considered 'avatar characters' in this light, however I think what people most people in this thread mean when they say 'avatar' is the customizable 'self-insert' type characters that Robin/Corrin/FE12's protag were.

*YOUR beloved dating simulator with a tatics minigame tacked on.

They need to step away from focusing on supports, and- i dunno, make a better tactical RPG.

No offense, but your response is way too serious/edgy considering that Esme clearly made a joke.

Just, PLEASE no weapon weight, it's either made the game feel flat out sexist

I want to point out how bizarre this statement is, yet it is 100% accurate.

Personally, I disagree with the removal of weapon weight, I think Tellius is fine.

As much as I'd like to think of myself as a wise consumer of video games no matter how crappy it is, curiosity will drive me to buy it anyways, if they kept that crap quality after that I wouldn't buy the sequel though.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from. I'm not sure what your opinions are of the 3DS games, but a person wasn't a fan of Awakening and I was quite skeptical of Fates when it came out. But I personally was pleasantly surprised with the quality of Fates. It could be better, and I feel like they took a step or two back, but I feel like they mostly went in the right direction and I still have faith in the series as a result. If you disliked Awakening, then Fates, and if FE15 looks like it might be the same type of thing. I can see why you would skip it.

@saisymbolic. I can understand kind of the point you're making about the avatar. But the way I feel about avatars in the way that you were describing is that I'd cannot stand naming them with my name. It's one of the main reasons why don't rename Cecil, or Squall, or Tidus. Because I am not like them, I cannot control their personality. And that's the problem I find with Kris, they are boring. I do not want to be like them. And people like Corrin get unnecessarily praised, and I feel like that's the whole issue with being able to name yourself when controlling Corrin. I feel like the game is trying to worship you. I'm not a fan of this choice. Now if I could actually make decisions based on my actions, I feel like the idea of an avatar would not be bad (especially if you can genuinely make shitty decisions), but I feel like with the way it is now, you aren't truly in control. You only have the illusion that you're in control.... if that makes sense?

Tl:dr I name Corrin "Corrin" and Squall "Squall" because they don't feel like avatars, just characters you happen to name. And I don't think there should be avatars unless you can fully control their actions.

What I would like to see in FE15 are the following:

No avatar, marriage, or children. I'd prefer FE9's way of handling support conversations -- and of course, limited support partners and people you can get endings with.

One route. Fates didn't do a good job making two routes, and the IS of today doesn't seem good at making situations that are not black and white.

Pair-up optional. I wouldn't say get rid of pair-up entirely because a lot of people seem to like it. I'd like an option to "turn off" pair up, though. If I put two characters adjacent to each other and the pair-up function is off, I'd like it to be like in the old FE games where it's just one on one.

Less awful story. It doesn't need to be complex or even amazing at all, it'd just have to be better than Fates.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from. I'm not sure what your opinions are of the 3DS games, but a person wasn't a fan of Awakening and I was quite skeptical of Fates when it came out. But I personally was pleasantly surprised with the quality of Fates. It could be better, and I feel like they took a step or two back, but I feel like they mostly went in the right direction and I still have faith in the series as a result. If you disliked Awakening, then Fates, and if FE15 looks like it might be the same type of thing. I can see why you would skip it..

If Fates: Conquest didn't exist there might be a chance I wouldn't buy FE:15 but because it does exist I'll probably buy it, even if it is only out of morbid curiosity. FE is my second favorite series so the mere thought of not wanting the next FE entry depresses me and it depressed me when Fates was coming out when I thought to myself I might not want it. I was so happy to be proven wrong by Conquest, it was the most fun I've had with a new FE game since the release of FE 9 (I didn't like FE 10 initially I do now though, 11 almost killed my love of the series, 13 semi restored it but I had a lot of problems with it even early on and it only increased over time, especially after going back to other FE games). Because the quality of Conquest I am willing to give the next game a chance no matter what, if it is somehow of abject quality then I would approach the next entry with heavy skepticism yet again and only buy if it showed notable improvements, who knows though I'm a sheep I'd probably buy it anyways... Edited by Locke087

Pair-up optional. I wouldn't say get rid of pair-up entirely because a lot of people seem to like it. I'd like an option to "turn off" pair up, though. If I put two characters adjacent to each other and the pair-up function is off, I'd like it to be like in the old FE games where it's just one on one.

I get the feeling this would be hard to pull off from a balancing standpoint.

Like, if they balance around Pair up/dual stances on, then doing it without them would be a bit on the rough side since the game would not be designed without it in mind.

If they balance with it off, it'd more than likely be FE13 2.0 with it on, where the whole system is super broken because enemies are designed to be taken out without extra damage from Dual Striking and stuff.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Base. Conversations. These are integral to giving non-major characters active opinions on the ongoing events of their world, especially when supports are so abundant yet accessible at all points of the narrative.

Expanded magic. Fates especially has really dialed back magic in its gameplay and world building applications by scrunching them all up into a small array of spells under a single general magic rank.

Better executed choices and consequences. Kaze's potential death in Birthright is a great example of a mechanic poorly implemented. If you're going to threaten the player with the (preventable) death of a unit story-wise, make that unit's ability to persevere based on resolving doubts and distractions with friends and family. Kaze dying due to be weighed down by an unresolved serious conflict with his brother would be a more interesting incentive for the player to explore his supports and work out his interpersonal relationships.

More personal and far less likely to happen, I would prefer the removal of the Avatar and children, as well as a very strong dialing back of marriage through supports. These aspects have really strongly affected writing decisions, often in fairly negative ways.

I agree with bringing back base conversations and expanding magic (in particular I want to see light magic return).

I want the next FE game to be on the Switch; that way those who liked console FE games can play it in console mode and those who prefer portable FE games will still get a portable FE game. Plus, we have had two (in a way four) 3DS FE games already. Furthermore, putting it on the inevitably more powerful switch will enable there to be more... is depth the right word? Maybe detail? Anyway, it will also enable the game to have the following that I hope to see:

1. A new graphics/art style. The switch will enable a lot more detail, so they may as well make a new graphics/art style. Also, regardless of which system the game ends up on, no more fanservice in the art style (cough-Camilla-Charlotte-and-many-others-cough). Also, less... ridiculousness in general. I'll admit they did improve the appearance of a lot of units in Fates compared to Awakening, but the generals still had the ridiculous-looking shields, and there are more examples of this; I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

2. Deep story with no branches. I don't mind or have any problem with choices. I just honestly believe that, the same amount of effort IS put into making essentially 3 stories, if it had been used to make 1 story, would have potentially made a great story. So, for this game, rather than be ambitious by trying to split the story down 3 different paths, they should be ambitious by making one very deep, very rich story that will be one of the best stories IS has ever made. They have a real opportunity to do this if they just avoid trying to split focus too much.

3. They can either keep the avatar or not, I do not care. Though, if they do keep it, seriously refine it. I would suggest a character that is effectively more a witness to the events than someone actively involved (i.e.: Horatio, Samwise, Sam, Indiana Jones (this one's a joke)), while the protagonist(s) is/are set character(s) that the avatar can certainly interact with, but are the ones who have the spotlight. I also like the personality idea.

4. Bring back ledges. As far as I know, it only ever appeared in RD, and I'm surprised by that, because, in my opinion, it was a good idea. Also, maybe more ideas related to siege warfare. For example, perhaps in one chapter, one has to get into a castle courtyard, and one can to so by a) breaking into the gatehouse, or b) by scaling the wall with ladders or other items, such as ropes and siege towers.

5. Limit the support conversations. Quality > quantity. The support conversations in Path of Radiance were almost perfect. In my opinion, they can keep S-Supports, but seriously limit it, and maybe don't make them married; just make them engaged or simply dating (then the epilogue can say they got married). Furthermore, no kids, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless the next FE game is like Geneaology of the Holy War, but even then; don't do so just to keep kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure there is more I could mention, but this pretty much sums it up.

Edited by vanguard333

Does being able to name and edit the appearance of a character make them an avatar? Does that mean Cloud Strife, Squall Leonhart and the rest of the FF protagonists are avatars because we can name them and somewhat dictate what kind of battle role they take? Does having or not having dialogue or speech constitute being an avatar? Does having certain personality traits that we as people are able to latch onto and unconsciously project onto the player character make them into avatars?

Bolded: It's a collection of all of these and more, depending on the game. In terms of importance in making a character into a player Avatar, I'd rank them:

1. Name: Some games make an exception in this (Mass Effect and DA2's Shepard and Hawke, respectively) but in general you need people calling the character by a name you choose to feel like it's you.

2. Appearance: Changing your face, hair and outfit is a big step towards making something personal, something Final Fantasy games lacked.

3. Gameplay: Changing things likes you stats and class are another point of personalizing a character.

4. Player choices: The ability to choose different outcomes for what your character does. The choices they make are yours (in Fire Emblem this would be things like whom you support).

5. Personality: This is the lowest ranked because many games have a different approach to this. Some have bland characters you can project onto, some have literal blank slates and no dialogue, and some games have you choose every bit of dialogue you make.

Robin, Kris and Kamui are avatars for having the above criteria but I wouldn't consider the FF protagonists to be such because they are generally limited in most things besides changing the name, and their personalities are too defined.

Edited by NekoKnight

Make Thracia 776 again, except not Thracia. In the sense of...mechanics were great, difficulty was quite good barring a few roadblocks (Xavier...). Oh, and original new plot or some such.

Keep the marriage and avatar bits since that helps sell the games to keep the series from completely dying.

Not much to worry about in terms of characters. Trope-ness has existed as far back as FE1, so it's not really that big of a deal. Even the beloved radiant games are quite fond of it (Ilyana...Makalov...)

Oh, and obligatory classic mode, but keeping the casual option open for those who want to get the supports and for those who actually are legit casual. Make it the default too, because I like seeing chaos happen lolol.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

i'm not ~too~ crazy for the story (just make it not terrible and delete face rubbing) and whatnot, but i really do hope they push for gameplay similar to conquest's bc i immensely enjoyed the challenge/fun

a) for gameplay

- before fates, i was very iffy about infinite durability, but after playing, it was nice!! one of the previous posts mentioned something about limiting "slayer" weapons -- i agree.

but i was thinking more of having the slayer weapons more of a player phase weapon; ie) the weapons will do little to no damage to other units / have more drawbacks when facing other units

- the pair up mechanic is vastly better than awakening's, however, there should be more incentive to use the attack stance/change guard stance...b/c the game just felt like "use guard stance just so enemies can't attack stance you" more than anything, honestly

- changes to silver weapons... i don't think i've ever found myself using anything above steel tbh (hard/lunatic cq) //

- change what forges do? - make silver/steel gain more mt while iron would gain more acc or something?? not sure

- weaken pair up stats(?)

- have more risk/reward //time pressure for side objectives vs main objectives i.e.) losing valuable chests / gold etc (i think the chapter where you recruit charlotte + benny would be an example-ish)

- i can't really think of anything else, but i like the personal skills, nerf to ranged weapons

- pls avoid maps like the kitsune one + pls let us save before the final map q.q

b) console

- pls be on the 3ds bc i am a broke college student!! :^)

2. Appearance: Changing your face, hair and outfit is a big step towards making something personal, something Final Fantasy games lacked.

Speaking of appearances, I want adult builds back for MU. Facial hair for dudes and boob sliders for dudettes would be fantastic, too. That's actually something I missed from Awakening.

and boob sliders for dudettes

You joke, but my wife (a curvy lady herself, and annoyed with the pixielike builds of both versions of Corrin being her only body options) would actually love that.

Speaking of appearances, I want adult builds back for MU. Facial hair for dudes and boob sliders for dudettes would be fantastic, too. That's actually something I missed from Awakening.

You joke, but my wife (a curvy lady herself, and annoyed with the pixielike builds of both versions of Corrin being her only body options) would actually love that.

Boob sliders are critical to my enjoyment. I can only give Fates a 5/10 for its appalling lack of bust options.

If the next game is to be on the Switch, I don't actually have much expectation because I imagine that IS would have to spend more time/resource rebuilding a new engine and inevitably would have to compromise the gameplay design and story as a result (not that the latter hasn't been compromised already...)

Now for my (probably wishful) wishlist:

Add/stay/return:

- Fates pair-up/stance system. However, while I understand the bonus in stats like strength/magic or defense, it's really unrealistic how you can get faster or more movement when carrying another unit around. It gets really ridiculous when a frail flying unit (Falcon Knight) can drag along an armored unit and their similarly armored horse (Great Knight) to hover above a cliff then stays there, while having an extra movement at the same time. Like, how do you even do that (I need a fanart depicting this)? Therefore, I think as a mechanic focused on defensive playstyle, pair-up should have a penalty in at least movement in exchange for the boosts in other stats, especially when the support unit is a mounted one.

- More... interesting magic system, both in gameplay and animations. More dark magic and bring back light magic.

- Shuriken or hidden weapons in general. Extend the class pools that can use them.

- The new weapon triangle. Also, now that people are used to it can I have unique weapon icons back please?

- Flying bow class (doesn't have to be another Kinshi Knight).

- More world building, bring back base conversation, more interesting characters and supports (and especially more supports between characters of the same gender), and of course a decently written story.

- Another art style. I don't dislike Kozaki but I think it's time for something fresh. Also less impractical and fan-servicey outfits please!

- A mix between weapon durability and Fates' system. There are two options: 1) Extend average weapon usage to 40-50 or something in exchange for less severe stat penalties; or 2) Only apply durability for special and high-rank weapons in exchange for no stat penalties, however regular weapons (Bronze/Iron/Steel/Silver) will have unlimited use but with stat penalties.

- Plot-wise, I would want a game to focus more on the life of commoners (and the protagonist is one of them) and how the conflicts between nations affect their lives and families. Royals/nobles can exist for the sake of gameplay/politics but are not the main focus of the story. Just because I don't believe that IS can handle politics-centered story and leader-like characters that well after recent games...

- Personal skills.

- A more realistic version of My Castle, in that you can still explore around yet don't have to go to another dimension in the middle of a world-ending crisis in order to to so.

- Hexing Rod and Berserk.

Remove:

- Avatar. I don't hate the concept in itself but I don't believe IS will be able to handle it in a satisfying way.

- Children. Also S-rank doesn't have to be marriage but it's the point that characters fall in love and/or officially going out. Hell, it doesn't even have to be romantic in all cases, but sometimes just a stage of deep/familiar bond above the regular friendship level (this will auto-resolve incest and the creepiness of older characters dating children....). Gameplay-wise, the units still benefit from something similar to Partner Seal (but with a different name, of course).

- Skinship and other excessive fan-service in general.

- Less unnecessary class skills that exist for the sake of existing.