Let's Talk FE15

Esme

I've been reading through some Advance Wars LPs, and while there are mechanics that I'm perfectly happy to never see in Fire Emblem, there's one that I think has potential, and has already appeared in limited scope in Fire Emblem (especially in the Tellius series)- Allied Forces. Yellow units that, instead of being AI controlled with a goal given by the player, are fully player controlled. Whether they are full-on other armies (to use Tellius as an example, the Crimean army in blue and a Gallian army in yellow) or merely generics is a matter of balancing.

As both Advance Wars and even Fire Emblem itself have proven, the mechanic has advantages and disadvantages. Units that can be considered expendable are at a premium in Fire Emblem, and being able to position your soldiers in such a way that your other army isn't blocked by them is always interesting. The idea definitely needs balancing, but I think the core concept has potential.

Other Advance Wars mechanics that might work are being graded on missions (to make it so that easy missions can be made more difficult without inconveniencing casual players- though a different metric than Advance Wars Speed/Power/Technique and Fire Emblem 7's at-odds-with-each-other-and-its-own-mechanics Speed/Tactics/Funds/Combat/EXP needs to be chosen), and potentially commanding officer bonuses (think Max's bonus to direct combat, not his CO Power Max Force).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading your comments I've come to agree that my original idea was terrible. :P

Time to talk about waifus: I'm 100% fine with them, but story>waifus. In fates it was waifus>story because Corrin could marry his/her siblings, no more of that.

Edited by BlueBloodEmblazer

Alright, so here's my opinion. It could be long.

First off, I think we can assume it will be different from Fates in a lot of ways. True, Fates was technically a success, but I think IS knows better than to try to repeat it. Fates is so large that you can't top it without making some serious changes. But the 3DS has done all it can for the series at this point. So, I think the next Fire Emblem game will be on a different system, like the Wii U but probably the Switch. We're probably looking at a different head artist/art style, and a game that focuses on being the opposite of Fates, or at least Birthright: Serious and story-focused with more emphasis on playing through the main missions then spending time maxing stats and browsing around your castle. I don't think that infinite grinding should be done away with completely, but it should be made so that every level remains challenging regardless of your levels. It should also have a "Conquest mode" where you are forced to do without infinite grinding and focus on the main plot.

I agree with the person above: an optional conquest mode (I think it would even be cool for it to actually be called conquest mode), Switch, new artist/art style, and more story-focused are all great ideas. Fates had a lot of new things, but it still in many ways followed what I call the Awakening Formula, and I feel it would be really good for the next FE game to break from that formula, and these are all great ways to do so. If I may add one: A diverse continent that gives attention and development to the kingdoms in it, unlike Awakening (to an extent; they did a decent but not great job of showing the kingdoms in Archanea, but far less so for Valm) and especially Fates. The new game should have some actual worldbuilding and involve more than just the two-three main kingdoms.

Alright, so here's my opinion. It could be long.

First off, I think we can assume it will be different from Fates in a lot of ways. True, Fates was technically a success, but I think IS knows better than to try to repeat it. Fates is so large that you can't top it without making some serious changes. But the 3DS has done all it can for the series at this point. So, I think the next Fire Emblem game will be on a different system, like the Wii U but probably the Switch. We're probably looking at a different head artist/art style, and a game that focuses on being the opposite of Fates, or at least Birthright: Serious and story-focused with more emphasis on playing through the main missions then spending time maxing stats and browsing around your castle. I don't think that infinite grinding should be done away with completely, but it should be made so that every level remains challenging regardless of your levels. It should also have a "Conquest mode" where you are forced to do without infinite grinding and focus on the main plot.

The good news is that Intelligent Systems has been pretty receptive to critcism. They actually did improve on a lot of things people had problems with in Awakening, such as the broken Pair Up, and they at least addressed that the bland story was a concern.

Of course, how they ended up handling Fates' story is another matter, but hopefully they continue to be receptive to constructive criticism. Though, it'll really be telling if they allow fanservice to rule the day.

And for the love of god, definitely get a new art director. I don't care who the character designer is, just replace the director. I don't want to see panty armor anymore!