Top Ten Favorite Pokemon (Post-Sun/Moon)

Sunwoo

So, about six months ago, I made a thread on what people's top ten favorite Pokemon (and bottom five least favorite Pokemon) were. Since Sun and Moon are officially out now, I'm curious as to how people's favorites have changed, if at all. I know my list has changed, because I'm pretty sure I made that list before I played AS, which gave me some more Pokemon I care about a lot.

1. Articuno -- last time I was conflicted between Articuno and Talonflame as my favorite Pokemon, but Articuno eventually ended up staying as my ultimate favorite; funny enough, it's the only one on my list that I don't actually use on my teams

2. Talonflame -- I still love my fire bird

3. Aegislash -- no change here

4. Altaria -- switched with Chesnaught, I love my cloud bird

5. Chesnaught -- but I still love my first starter ever though

6. Salamence -- holy fuck, Salamence is that one Pokemon that came out of nowhere and ended up occupying my list; it's amazing and it destroys my friends' fairies with steel wing and superior speed, and it has a nice design as well

7. Sceptile -- my starter in AS, so less of a surprise than Salamence, but I still love my Sceptile (got a female Treecko on the first pick without even trying for one) who when she mega evolves decides to inexplicably turn around

8. Decidueye -- Sun starter, what can I say, I really like it

9. Lurantis -- the other surprise, because I didn't expect to like Lurantis so much; he might not be fast, but he's good in like everything else and helped me out a lot

10. Ampharos -- I didn't realize until now how much I adore Ampharos, and it has a mega evolution I can use in Y too!

Honorable mentions: Gardevoir, Gallade, Pidgeot, Swanna, Charizard, and Whimsicott.

Edited by Sunwoo

1. Glaceon! Taking this spot from it is a pretty hard task, hehe. It's crap competitively, it's way too late to be any use ingame, but man it's adorable and elegant through an through.

2. Volcarona

3. Scizor

4. Espeon

5. Leafeon

6. Umbreon

7. Goomy

8. Eevee

9. Vaporeon

10. Flareon

Yeah, I'm Eeveelution biased.

I never really made a top 10 list so lets see what I can come up with.

1. Drifblim: My first shiny pokemon and a lot better in battle then I innitially gave it credit for.

2. Espeon: I just like the way it looks.

3. Mimikyu: Its so pitful that it starts becoming adorable.

4. Alakazam: The original psychic powehouse.

5. Male Meowstick: Cute and a good support mon.

6. Mamoswine: It looks a bit goofy, but it has always been a powerhouse.

7. Venesaur: I like the look and it has everything I want in a grass Pokemon.

8. Hydreigon: It just looks cool.

9. Xatu: It served its purpose very well for me when I put it on my online team.

10. Flareon: Mostly because it turned out to be surprisingly useful in my heartgold Nuzlocke.

I may have a bit of a Psychic bias.

UHHH

Gyarados

Tauros

Metagross

Dragonite

Skarmory

Lugia

Groudon

Kyogre

Tyranitar

Garchomp

And Scizor somewhere on that list

I don't think SM really changes it. I like Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko, Incineroar, and Decidueye i guess, and Rowlet is one of my top 10 on favorite Cutemon list

Edited by JSND

Uhm
-Sylveon
-Lucario
-Torterra
-Giratina
-Gardevoir
-Salamence
-Weavile

-Nidoking

-Grovyle
-Escavalier
I guess
Mind you I tried to tone down on the legendaries (except Giratina) and after a few they could be replaced with others really.

Sure! I think there's at least one change to my list, though I can't really put all of them in order. Just the top four.

1. Keldeo

2. Rapidash

3. Zebstrika

4. Mudsdale

Honestly, these could all be tied for first because of my horse family bias, but Keldeo is just the cutest, imo, and Rapidash has my fav type while I'm not big on the Ground type despite Mudsdale having a sweet design. One day I'll have all four of these on my team. :P

And the rest in no order:

- Primarina (it's gorgeous, what else can I say?)

- Lopunny (super cute)

- Infernape (badass Fire monkey!)

- Bellossom (another cutie)

- Flareon (cute fluffy Fire type Eevee!)

- Sylveon (cute Fairy type Eevee!)

I'm biased towards Fire and Fairy. lol I still wait for an actual Fire/Fairy type though. :(

Honorable Mentions: Luxray, Ho-Oh, Suicune, Aggron, Mightyena, Crobat

Edited by Anacybele

Typhlosion

Garchomp

Gengar

Serperior

Articuno

Excadrill

Latios

Tapu Bulu

Flygon

Salamence

I think that's it but i'm not so sure, except for Typhlosion and Chomp

Edited by Ninguém

My list and reasons haven't changed much, so I'll copy most of it from the previous thread.

1. Greninja- I really, really like it. It does so many things right. Great design ( The tongue scarf thing is really clever), great stats, great everything!...Okay, maybe not great defenses...

2. Drifblim- I don't know why, but I like it a lot! To this day, I still don't know why I love it some much.

3. Gardevoir- Not for what you thinking, I just love it's design and it's strong go boot!

4. Roserade- Another combination of good stats and good design

5. Altaria- Just so...fluffy!

6. Ludicolo- What's there not like about Ludicolo? It's awesome!

7. Empoleon- So regal! So imposing! So awesome!

8. Absol- It just looks so cool!

9. Slowking- Another one that I don't know why, but I like it a lot!

10. Both Lycanrocs- I love the noble wolf archetype and I also love the wild, savage wolf archetype so they are both wins for me.

Honorable mentions: Lapras, Bellossom, Alola Raichu, Ninetales, Primarina, Lucario, Houndoom and Goodra

Edited by Water Mage

Let's see:

1. Chandelure: Love the typing, love the design and it always puts in work for me
  2. Espeon: I played the Game Cube games a lot and I use Espeon every time and would gladly use it again and again.
  3. Mega Lopunny: First Pokemon I've trained competitively and she has been wonderful.
  4. Gardevoir: A staple of my Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald experience I even used her on my first play through's of X and Omega Ruby and the time looking for a Ralts was worth it.
  5. Milotic: I love the design.
  6. Houndoom: Because of Pokemon XD
  7. Walrein: Because of Pokemon XD
  8. Weavile: A much needed evolution to a Pokemon I thought was cool
  9. Clefable: Very recent addition
  10. Jumpluff: Guilty pleasure

I haven't played Sun or Moon yet (the last thing I needed when I had assignments due was a new Pokemon game for procrastinating ass) but so far I really like:

Bewear, Decidueye, Oricorio (All the forms that isn't the pink one), Lycanroc (Midnight), Mudsdale, Oranguru, Primarina, Both box legends & Pheromosa.

Edited by I'm a Spheal

1. Weavile

2. Buzzwole

3. Spheal (these three are probably permanent)

4. Togekiss

5. Infernape

6. Charizard

7. Marowak

8. Kommo-o

9. Rhyperior

10. Lucario

Half of these are Sinnoh probably because of my Sinnoh bias.

Honourable Mention: Rowlet/Decidueye: It is a cool Pokémon. It's an owl, and it is Robin Hood. Plus Rowlet is pretty cool, and its hidden ability, while not available yet, will definitely be useful. But there are lots of things that keep it from top ten, the main one being: why is it so slow? Base 70? It's a bird that is also an archer! Why is it that slow!?

10. Rayquaza: eats meteorites, obliterates opposing Pokémon teams, mega evolves without the need of a mega stone, now knows dragon ascent, looks cool, lives high in the sky as a benevolent guardian and defeated both Kyogre and Groudon. What is not to love about Rayquaza, other than its less than great defences? It's standard form is not the best, but its Mega Evolution is just awesome! It's not my favourite Pokémon, but the fact that it is gen 6's Mewtwo (but benevolent unlike Mewtwo) gives it a place in the top ten.

9. Charizard: My first starter Pokémon, and oh how I thought it would be fire/dragon (I had just been introduced to Pokémon and no one told me it wouldn't be fire/dragon, and, while there was the internet, I mainly used the internet to find out about new Bionicle toys, I was that young). Thankfully, its mega evolution in Pokémon X was fire/dragon... and I picked Pokémon Y (a decision I regret; I should have bought X instead as Xerneas is cooler than Yveltal), so ultimately I didn't use Charizard as it always should have been until Omega Ruby. But it was worth it. It is really good, and it always was a cool Pokémon. However, standard Charizard is still fire/flying, as is Mega Charizard Y, and that 4x weakness to rock really hurts it.

8. Altaria: It is, in my opinion, a very cool-looking Pokémon. Plus its mega evolution gives it Pixilate and Dragon-Fairy; a very cool typing. It would be higher if not for two reasons: a) standard Altaria stinks stat-wise and should have gotten fairy type as well, and b) Swablu stinks so much it makes it almost impossible to train an Altaria without having to use an exp.Share.

7. Gallade: A master of courtesy and swordsmanship. A pretty cool Pokémon. Fighting/Psychic is not my favourite typing but it is certainly useful. It also got a cool mega evolution, giving it a cape, a much needed boost to speed, and an immense attack stat. Oh how this used to be top 5 of my favourite Pokémon. But I am not without criticisms of it: while its mega evolution's ability is immune to flinches from things like fake out, it could definitely have gotten a more useful ability, especially since Gardevoir got Pixilate! It's mega evolution got a cape, and that's it in terms of looks, and I am sorry but its arm do not look like swords (not functional swords anyway). And its standard version has two abilities that are rather situational like that of its mega evolution.

6. Marowak: I always liked Cubone/Marowak. Its backstory is just so sad, it looks cool, it has a really good unique item (double attack without being locked to one move), and it fights using a bone like a club. I was extremely happy when they announced that it got an Alolan form; perhaps they would finally patch up either its low speed or HP. While Ghost/Fire is cool, they did not change its stats at all. Still a cool Pokémon that only stopped being top 5 due to Solgaleo and Mimikyu.

5. Solgaleo: I have been looking forward to a Sun legendary Pokémon since, well, since Sun and Moon was announced. And, after being somewhat disappointed by gen 6's lion Pokémon, I was especially happy to learn that the sun legendary is a lion (and a really cool-looking one). I didn't quite understand why it was steel/psychic at first, but I had no complaints about that typing either (though steel/psychic is not what it used to be). Plus the story of obtaining Solgaleo (I won't give any spoilers) is pretty darn cool. My problem with Solgaleo is, now I have it, and the one I have has a really good nature as well, but I cannot help but feel underwhelmed. Full Metal Body is clear body with a fancy name (and at first I was okay with that, but surely they could have come up with a cool unique ability; they came up with several for 7th gen), I just feel sunsteel strike could be a bit better (hits regardless of abilities? It is a steel type move! Though having the power and accuracy of earthquake is pretty good). And, while 97 base speed is not slow, it is less than that of the gen 6 legendaries! Don't get me wrong, Solgaleo is not by any means bad, it just seems a little underwhelming for a Pokémon that supposedly fought all four island guardians and won, as well as help fight off the Ultra Beasts.

4. Dialga: The Pokémon of Time; fell asleep as a child and woke up seven years later to defeat Ganondorf (sorry I couldn't resist; though I'm sure this joke could have been far better written...). It looks awesome, has good stats and typing, and Roar of Time is awesome (too bad it's almost useless, though its high power will make the dragon-type z-move immensely powerful).

3. Mimikyu: It's just such a sad Pokémon... It's the first ghost type that I know of without a creepy Pokedex description. It wears its disguise because it doesn't want to scare people; it actually seems like it has no ill will towards people or other Pokémon (and this made its debut in the same game that has brought us Sandygast/Pallossand!!!!!!!!!!) It also has a cool typing and awesome ability. If I am up against a slower offensive Pokémon, I'm basically guaranteed a free swords dance!

2. Aegislash: I have been wanting a sword or swordsman Pokémon for years. Gallade was close, but in my mind it wasn't a true swordsman, no matter what the Pokedex description said. Then came Aegislash: not just something I had been long waiting for, but it was the first ghost type I was willing to use in my main team, despite ghost types and their creepy Pokedex descriptions. (I just wish steel still resisted ghost/dark so it wouldn't have so many common weaknesses).

1. Torterra: It is certainly hard to explain why. There are definitely better grass starters competitively, and there are certainly better Pokémon in general. There are also cooler looking Pokémon than Torterra or have more interesting Pokedex descriptions. So why is this one my favourite Pokémon overall? The answer is, I like Torterra. Like any favourite, it is ultimately what I like the most. A cool turtle Pokémon that reminded me of an Ankylosaurus (due to all the spikes) back when I was a kid and was fascinated by dinosaurs. Grass/Ground meant it could fight off poison types that were rather annoying in gen 4, and ultimately I simply like Torterra. It is bulky, has good offensive moves (and decent attack), and lots of recovery options. It is not great, but it is fun to use.

Edited by vanguard333

1. Gligar

2. Primarina

3. Sceptile

4. Aerodactyl

5. Volcarona

6. Jirachi

7. Pancham

8. Fletchinder

9. Krookodile

10: Dhelmise

Bulu and Koko of the Tapus barely missed the cut, but S/M got two reps which I think is pretty good!

i don't think it's changed that much

1. whimsicott

2. zoroark

3. sylveon

4. pumpkaboo

5. liligant

6. skitty

7. victini

8. goomy

9. volcarona

10. espurr

honorable mentions to my favorite gen 7 mons: decidueye, lurantis, and mimikyu

Edited by sylveonzoroark

1. Porygon-Z

2. Rotom (favorite form is Wash)

3. Flygon

4. Dodrio

5. Minior

6. Exeggutor (original form not Alolan)

7. Togekiss

8. Altaria

9. Cradily

10. Kingdra

Only new mon on the list is Minior- my opinions generally don't change much.

So. Many. Choices. Why must this be so haaaaaard?

Oh well, potentially my top 10 in no order:

Magnezone

Milotic

Empoleon

Gardevoir

Silvally

Ribombee

Araquanid

Grovyle

Absol

Snorlax

That's only the tip of the iceberg. I could list for hours.

1. Pachirisu (precious pachi bby)

2. Tyranitar (precious Godzilla bby)

...and the rest of my favorites tend to change with my mood so they are kinda hard to list ^-^' for the most part though I really enjoy grass types and steal types

Here is my list of my top five favorites along with the nicknames I typically name them and reasons for why I love them because I'm lazy and don't want to do ten 'mons:

5. Bisharp (Ippatsuman) - I don't really like many of the Gen 5 'mons, but Bisharp stood out to me mostly due to its design - which reminds me of Ippatsuman, hence its nickname - and typing. I actually don't often use one for competitive play, but, when I do, I tend to get a thrill that I don't get with other 'mons.

4. Flygon (Beat) - Named after the main player character from JSR due to the "goggles" that it gets upon evolution, Flygon was a 'mon I was confused on how to obtain in-game as a child. One random day, I decided to use 'mons I often ignored, and I ended up scooping up a Trapinch. Predictably, I was astounded when Trapinch evolved into Vibrava, allowing me to eventually obtain my coveted Flygon. I hate that Flygon is essentially ignored thanks to the addition of Garchomp, but I can understand why, considering its rather lackluster abilities for competitive. Still, I love it all the same and I'm still holding out for a Mega Flygon.

3. Roserade (Benibara) - I actually started liking Roselia during the Advanced arc of the anime, where the Contests debuted. Initially, I wasn't impressed with its battle capabilities, but I was fond of its design and that was enough for me to use it during game play. D/P/P came out and introduced Roserade, allowing my love for it to fully bloom. It isn't one of the greatest 'mons, but it still works well in competitive play when teamed with the right 'mons. Named after the Japanese word for "red rose."

2. Aggron (Ultima Weapon) - A pretty badass 'mon in terms of design and stats. I wasn't much of fan of it losing its Rock-typing upon Mega Evolving, but I eventually accepted the loss in exchange for its massive boost in DEF. This 'mon holds a place in my heart from my younger years of playing R/S/E as a permanent addition to any team I made. Its role as a physical tank was invaluable to me, and, while there are 'mons nowadays that can do its job better, I still rank Aggron pretty high on my list. Named for the well-known enemy in the FF series.

1. Swampert (Blue Laguna) - I have a special history with the Mudkip evolution line. Essentially, the story of love between Swampert and me boils down to my (then) Marshtomp curbstomping Wattson (a gym leader I consistently had troubles defeating as a child), allowing me to learn that Ground is immune to Electric. My love for Water/Ground types was born that day, and it burns just as hotly now as it did ten years ago. Swampert also gets bonus points for having a simultaneously cool and cute design, being able to learn Ice Punch (my favorite move, for reasons I cannot explain), having a Mega Evolution and having decent enough stats that I can use it competitively. Named for a defunct game OST website I used to frequent.

Edited by saisymbolic

1. Lopunny (Didnt know it was a hooker until well after I played Platinum, no regrets. Mega lopunny almost gave me a heart attack when released)

2. Empoleon (Best Starter imo)

3. Gardevoir (Main powerhouse of Ruby and Emerald)

4. Garchomp (Favorite pseudo legendary)

5. Sceptile (Favorite grass starter)

6. Weavile (Always loved sneasel, an evolution just secured its place on my list)

7. Vikavolt (Hated it at first, but slowly became the Gardevoir/Lopunny of my team)

8. Talonflame (Based off of Horus the Avenger, my username which is also based off of. Also awesome typing, besides charizard already existing)

9. Drapion (Love scorpions)

10. Mew (Favorite legendary)

1. Absol. Absol's been one of my favorites since Gen III, and I've probably used more Absols than almost every other Pokemon.
2. Espeon & Umbreon. They share a spot since, even though I never actually played Colosseum, they're pretty definitively linked in my mind, and I love them for their typings and their designs.
3. Mimikyu. Adorable and super-useful in battle, my Mimikyu carried me through a good chunk of Sun.
4. Emboar. Fire/Fighting rule of three aside, it's my first starter in spirit if not in reality.
5. Zorua/Zoroark. Zorua is adorable, and Zoroark is a pretty versatile attacker with a great design.
6. Gardevoir & Gallede: Another two definitively linked in my mind, Gardevoir and Gallede have pretty great type combinations.
7. Sylveon. Another Eeveelution that I adore for its design and typing. Naming them Madoka and Nanoha is just a bonus.
8. Hawlucha. It's a flying luchador bird, how could I not love it?
9. Crobat. Another usual mainstay of my team.
10. Lapras. Another Pokemon I like a lot. Probably a close contender for my favorite Water type.

Honorable mentions to (deep breath): Wooper, Haxorus, Garchomp, Exadrill, Chandelure, Luxray, Clawitzer, Octillary, Heracross, Aegislash, Mewostic, Tyranitar, Dragonair, Galvantula, Ampharos, Leavanny

Edited by AzureSen

1. Type Null/Silvally. This is a new Pokemon and I had to debate on if I liked it more then my previous number one. I think I do. It's just perfect. I love griffins, I have since I was a kid. I may not gush about them as much as dragons or dogs, but seeing one in a Pokemon game made it. It's story, the character its attached to, its abilities, its design - I can't think of a single thing I don't like. I actually kind of dote on this thing in game. I think it's adorable, I love it to death.

2TleEtk.png

I genuinely, utterly love it. I take it with me to the battle tower and it isn't even really a bad Pokemon. It's been a good help to my party and I probably will never put this Pokemon out of my team. I really, really love it.

2. Noivern, my former no 1. I love bats, especially fruit bats, and dragon types are my favorite type tied with steel types. It's a fluffy fruit bat who is fast and has a decent special attack stat. I love its ears, they're cute and I love the fact they are basically sound amps. I really love this thing, it's just so cute!

2. Tyranitar. I am a big kaiju fanatic and the fact it looks like Godzilla endears it to me a lot. Dark/Rock is a cool type and it has a cool movepool. I loved it in the anime every time it appears and this Pokemon is a big point of my old, best competitive Pokemon team. I rely on this Pokemon a lot no matter how hard it is to get it.

3. Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile. Still my favorite starter to this day. They're cute geckos and I'll always love these babies.

4. Hydreigon. Similar to the above Tyranitar. Have you seen the way this thing dances when it's happy? That and I love the appeal of a special based psuedo legendary who just happens to be a cute three headed dragon. Cute!

5. Honedge/Doublade/Aegislash. Ever since I saw this line I knew I'd love it. It's just a really cool idea and line in general. Aegislash is also insanely useful with a sick gimmick. I can't get enough of this thing.

6. Salandit/Salazzle. I didn't expect to like this thing at all. It felt like some weird bait with the talk of reverse harems but... I actually really like the design. Something about it being so feminine makes it look sleek and cool, this thing helped me way more then I should admit against the final boss of the game. Thanks, Salazzle.

7. Mimikkyu. I don't really need to say why do I? Just look at it.

8. Lunala. My new favorite legendary. I love bats and things involving the moon and in general night time draw me to it (I guess I'm a night owl.) The fact it's an overly benevolent, cute legendary makes me just adore this thing. It's insanely good too, it's one of the few legendaries I keep on my team.

9. Zygarde. I feel this Pokemon needs more expansion and explanation. That being said what we do know is a concept that I really like. The fact it's a bunch of components that fuses into one greater being. It's basically the Power Rangers as a Pokemon that forms the Megazord.

10. Sylveon. It's cute... it looks like a magical girl... I have a plush of it. It's just the cutest.

Honorable mentions: Absol, Feraligatr, Haxorus, Rockruff/Lycanroc, Chandelure, Roserade, Tsareena, Luxray, Garchomp, Reshiram, and Giratina

Edited by Ebony