Binding Blade rant(In my opinion!)

Harvey

Oh boy...I can see all the people here thinking its a click bait article or something and that there's bound to be an objection side of thing.....but I can't really keep this up any longer to just myself and it really needs to be spitted out...this game is GOD DAMN BROKEN!!!!!!!!

The most unbalanced FE game I've ever played as of now and the most frustrating one of them all in my opinion. Even Conquest was solid and fun despite its difficulty being tough.

No...this game is simply terrible for many of the reasons that I'll point out

First off, majority of the characters whether you get them early or late have terrible stats and have terrible starts. The only ones who have good starts and stats are Dieck and Rutger and I know a lot of people will brag on Percival but getting him is bloody hard and stressful. Other than that, everyone else is pathetic.

And why is that. Simple. its because they are a mix bag of things. Some will have bad base stats but good growth rates and some will have great base stats but bad growth rates.

This means you have to train them very hard if you want to use them and pray to god that the RNG doesn't screw them as often as they do. Sure, some are very trainable but they all start at lv 1 a time where in later chapters IS BAD!

While we're at it, the support conversations are terrible for the most part with only a few characters like Ojay having nice ones. This doesn't really do much but the reward of getting such conversations is just underwhelming. Not really sure if the fan translator is at fault here but who knows?

Then comes the hit rates and the hit rates are broken and very often you will feel pressure and pray that it doesn't hit because the enemies that are in this game are tough as nails!

But no...that is not the worst part of the game. The worst part is the chapters themselves. At first the chapters start fairly well and don't take a lot of time to beat them but later on, you'll see a lot of long maps that will frustrate the hell out of you for whatever the damn things that each and every chapter has. And the worst part of it is that if you want the best ending or if you want to face the final boss, you must get all the legendary weapons and to get these weapons, you must unlock chapters by doing some cryptic stuff that the game doesn't hint you at nor tells you what to do to unlock it except the part where it tells you to save Lillina and that's that. To make matters worse, you should not break either one of them else you fail at unlocking the final parts of the game.

While I don't necessarily think that it should be stuck with only one objective per map, I don't mind the objective too much but it still isn't saying much here.

Oh and these gaiden chapters can go to hell for all I care as they are soo damn gimmicky and these gimmicks further cause even more frustration. There's this one map that has tiles constantly disappear and you can't do anything except wait for the next turn to move again hopefully.

Last but not least is Roy...oh boy...he is not even as good as his own dad here. This guy is a thorn in your entire army because he's damn weak, can't use him to kill a boss until very late in the game and he gets promoted very late in the game. Almost makes you wonder why the devs even thought of such a thing really.

Now you may say that you can just ignore using him till the end but really the whole point of using a lord is that he is the important character in the army and the one responsible for starting a revolution in the first place.

But with that out of the way, aren't there any good things about the game? Well yes actually. It has a great story almost coming to par with FE4 and the music is downright amazing as well! There's also a lot of replayability to be had here but honestly...after playing this on normal, I don't think I ever want to touch it again simply because its not that fun even on normal standards.

TLDR: FE6 is unbalanced as all hell

Huh.

I'd argue move this to FE6 subsection, but while here...

I agree on some of this. Not all of it, but the fact that it's harder isn't all for stupid reasons (much as the endgame is a joke)

The supports being as simple as they are makes since as this is the first time in the series they existed. Doesn't completely make up for them being so..... simple.

The hit rates are more because the enemies actually have greater than 0 luck, unlike 7. That and the weapons are unbalanced as all hell. Axe accuracy is atrocious, lance accuracy is also poor enough and the tomes have hilariously low weight unless they're dark.

Yeah, most units are underwhelming (the fact Miredy wasn't mentioned as an exemption is weird). And that's an issue, but it also makes getting units to a good point also more gratifying.

Gaidens are gimmicky, but imo only 16x and 20xSacae are terrible. Most are more tedious than anything (which is a legit complaint). The cryptic things relating to the ending are also irritating, even if the results are the same (keep x alive, seize before y turns). It's not a good example of gaiden unlocking design.

Lots of other stupid things like Seize being the one objective I don't disagree on.

I actually am not a fan of the soundtrack (especially Roy's Journey, aka my music bugbear of FE), and the story for me doesn't work as well as expected (Roy actually is a good lord as a character (good lord he is poor in gameplay), but the villains end up poorer than they should be, and the dragons are so tacked on it's a bit sad)

Then again, I actually like overcoming FE6, so I understandably don't despise it. Yeah, you can go ahead and dislike it.

First: I will disagree with most of your points. That doesn't mean I think your opinion is 'worth less' than mine, I just think that some of your criticism is unfair or untrue.

Second: Didn't you post quite a lot of this stuff elsewhere? It feels a bit thoughtless that you didn't consider any of the replys you got before in the OP.

First off, majority of the characters whether you get them early or late have terrible stats and have terrible starts. The only ones who have good starts and stats are Dieck and Rutger and I know a lot of people will brag on Percival but getting him is bloody hard and stressful. Other than that, everyone else is pathetic.
This is wrong. The first good units you get are Allen and Lance, both of which (assuming normal mode) have decent combat abilities from the very start. On HM, the player has to be more careful not to put them in dangerous spots, but they're still quite good units for literally the whole game.

Of course it is possible that they get screwed by the RNG, but that's a trait they share with literally every growth unit in the series (well, except for games with the option of fixed growths).

Lastly, Percy is absolutely trivial to recruit in chapter 15. It's true that he's hard to reach in time in 13, though.

And why is that. Simple. its because they are a mix bag of things. Some will have bad base stats but good growth rates and some will have great base stats but bad growth rates.
Some people (including myself) consider that a good thing. FE6 makes the effort to make units unique in their roles - most prepromotes are good for a limited period of time: Marcus for the first third of the game or so, Echidna probably until the big battle against Murdock...

I won't deny that the unit balancing is far from perfect, though. A few (!!!) units are absolute garbage, others are simply overpowered compared to the other playable characters, especially on HM where the HM bonuses disrupt the balancing even further. However, and I'm positive we've been over this before, you grossly understate the number of viable characters in the game.

By the way - please name a single FE game with perfect balance between playable characters. FE6 is miles better than the DS remakes with all their free silvers (and the units that contribute literally nothing because they join unarmed), it's arguably better than FE9 (PoR's same-y stats between most of its units make the only relevant criteria Mount vs. No Mount and to a smaller extend Axes/Lances vs. anything else) and FE8 (BB doesn't have a Seth-tier unit that stomps the game from start to finish).

While we're at it, the support conversations are terrible for the most part with only a few characters like Ojay having nice ones. This doesn't really do much but the reward of getting such conversations is just underwhelming. Not really sure if the fan translator is at fault here but who knows?
Personal preference, I guess. I really enjoyed the support convos, all things considered, even though I'll admit that some of them are somewhat bland. Gringe (et al.) did an amazing job with their translation.

It's true that unlocking (most) convos is an annoying chore. The GBA support system isn't that great altogether, and FE6 makes it worse by having many slow support growths and a arbitrary support point maximum per chapter.

Then comes the hit rates and the hit rates are broken and very often you will feel pressure and pray that it doesn't hit because the enemies that are in this game are tough as nails!
The hit rates aren't broken, they're just relatively low. It means that you often cannot trust one particular attack to miss, but it also allows frail, dodgy characters to be viable. Good luck creating a Clarine-tier dodge tank in the DS remakes!

It's OK to dislike the playstyle these numbers support (i.e. try to have some backup plan in case you don't hit), but calling it 'broken' is simply false.

But no...that is not the worst part of the game. The worst part is the chapters themselves. At first the chapters start fairly well and don't take a lot of time to beat them but later on, you'll see a lot of long maps that will frustrate the hell out of you for whatever the damn things that each and every chapter has. And the worst part of it is that if you want the best ending or if you want to face the final boss, you must get all the legendary weapons and to get these weapons, you must unlock chapters by doing some cryptic stuff that the game doesn't hint you at nor tells you what to do to unlock it except the part where it tells you to save Lillina and that's that. To make matters worse, you should not break either one of them else you fail at unlocking the final parts of the game.
I mostly agree here. I don't mind the Gaiden requirements as such (I think they're pretty reasonable, although some people don't like the time limit in the desert chapter), but imo the game should just tell the player beforehand. Not using up the legendary weapons before the endgame seems like a reasonable thing to do anyway, but I guess telling that the player directly wouldn't hurt, either. ;)

I used some of the main site's stuff on my first playthough, so I wasn't in danger to randomly disable the good ending in the middle of the playthrough, but I can imagine that a blind playthrough can be quite frustrating at times.

While I don't necessarily think that it should be stuck with only one objective per map, I don't mind the objective too much but it still isn't saying much here.
Agreed, too. I wouldn't have minded another objective once in a while, but Seize might be the least restricting win condition possible. The player can choose to rout the map or beeline/warpskip for the goal.
Oh and these gaiden chapters can go to hell for all I care as they are soo damn gimmicky and these gimmicks further cause even more frustration. There's this one map that has tiles constantly disappear and you can't do anything except wait for the next turn to move again hopefully.
I don't like the gaiden gimmicks either, but interestingly enough, I don't mind the underground lake as much as I do in FE7. ;) At least, the tiles disappear in a predictable way and still allow the player to advance without ferrying units across. The double siege tomes are an issue, but maybe silencing one of them is an option?

(also, the map can be warpskipped rather easily :D)

Last but not least is Roy...oh boy...he is not even as good as his own dad here. This guy is a thorn in your entire army because he's damn weak, can't use him to kill a boss until very late in the game and he gets promoted very late in the game. Almost makes you wonder why the devs even thought of such a thing really.

Now you may say that you can just ignore using him till the end but really the whole point of using a lord is that he is the important character in the army and the one responsible for starting a revolution in the first place.

Again, personal preference, but I enjoy that Roy can't just plow through the enemies until the very end. It forces the player to carve a secure way for him, instead of Roy just smashing heads in the front line. That late promotion kinda sucks though, especially because it would have been just as fitting from a story perspective if he was promoted after liberating Etruria. But all in all, I'm actually quite happy how Roy's rather poor combat performance influences the gameplay.
But with that out of the way, aren't there any good things about the game? Well yes actually. It has a great story almost coming to par with FE4 and the music is downright amazing as well! There's also a lot of replayability to be had here but honestly...after playing this on normal, I don't think I ever want to touch it again simply because its not that fun even on normal standards.
I think I covered the problems I have with the game, too. ;) Because I definitely don't see FE6 as a diamond of perfection, but I do see it as a fun game and one of the stronger entries of the FE series. It's not my absolute favorite (that's PoR, despite its flaws), but it's up there, thanks to the challenging gameplay and as soon as you know what the game throws at you manageable difficulty - not manageable in the sense of 'easy', but 'you can actively and without an unreasonable amount of luck overcome it'. And yes, the "as soon as you know" is one of the flaws that I admit this game has.

I can understand if you dislike the game and I won't try to persuade you that it's the greatest thing ever, but I do ask you to at least consider the points made in the game's defense. Some of your points are valid, some are a question of taste, but some are just false statements that you just repeated despite other users saying the things I tried to say now.

Huh.

I'd argue move this to FE6 subsection, but while here...

I agree on some of this. Not all of it, but the fact that it's harder isn't all for stupid reasons (much as the endgame is a joke)

The supports being as simple as they are makes since as this is the first time in the series they existed. Doesn't completely make up for them being so..... simple.

The hit rates are more because the enemies actually have greater than 0 luck, unlike 7. That and the weapons are unbalanced as all hell. Axe accuracy is atrocious, lance accuracy is also poor enough and the tomes have hilariously low weight unless they're dark.

Yeah, most units are underwhelming (the fact Miredy wasn't mentioned as an exemption is weird). And that's an issue, but it also makes getting units to a good point also more gratifying.

Gaidens are gimmicky, but imo only 16x and 20xSacae are terrible. Most are more tedious than anything (which is a legit complaint). The cryptic things relating to the ending are also irritating, even if the results are the same (keep x alive, seize before y turns). It's not a good example of gaiden unlocking design.

Lots of other stupid things like Seize being the one objective I don't disagree on.

I actually am not a fan of the soundtrack (especially Roy's Journey, aka my music bugbear of FE), and the story for me doesn't work as well as expected (Roy actually is a good lord as a character (good lord he is poor in gameplay), but the villains end up poorer than they should be, and the dragons are so tacked on it's a bit sad)

Then again, I actually like overcoming FE6, so I understandably don't despise it. Yeah, you can go ahead and dislike it.

Man, you atleast didn't defend it like Glaceon Mage!(Atleast that's what I think his name here is. Man you should see the way he defended the game a whole lot.)

I also didn't cover how units get stat bonuses in HM...um, why is it that they only get stat bonuses in HM when they should also get them in NM? Or at the very least, have NM units on the same level as the ones in HM?

EDIT: As for that topic explained further @ping, That forum is dedicated to the hard and frustrating games of FE. I already explained my frustration of Binding Blade there but it was increasing over and over and ignoring the other hard FE games so I decided to have all my binding blade rant here solely.

Edited by Harvey

If you want to ridicule Glaceon Mage for adamantly defending Binding Blade you might want to consider how other people perceive you adamantly repeating your criticism, including statements that other users have rather reasonably claimed to be wrong. Bad style, man.

EDIT: As for that topic explained further @ping, That forum is dedicated to the hard and frustrating games of FE. I already explained my frustration of Binding Blade there but it was increasing over and over and ignoring the other hard FE games so I decided to have all my binding blade rant here solely.

If you want to honestly discuss the strengths and weaknesses of FE6, this topic was a good idea, but completely ignoring the points others have made to counter some of your arguments seems a bit insincere.

Edited by ping

Man, you atleast didn't defend it like Glaceon Mage!(Atleast that's what I think his name here is. Man you should see the way he defended the game a whole lot.)

I also didn't cover how units get stat bonuses in HM...um, why is it that they only get stat bonuses in HM when they should also get them in NM? Or at the very least, have NM units on the same level as the ones in HM?

I was defending it because I thought your criticism was unfair to FE6.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't bring me up in a thread I haven't posted in for the sake of ridiculing me.

Also I'm female lol.

That said,

The stat bonuses in Hard mode are for units that start on the enemy side (ie Rutger).

Since they load on that side, they get bonuses to their base stats like any other enemy unit.

Not sure if it's a glitch or intentional, though. Probably the latter since it hasn't really gone away.

I might not have made a big defence of it here, but I don't hate FE6 either. I've put a more thorough opinion in this thread discussing FE6. I might not be as fixed on the number I used, but it's more clear there what I think. Also, the HM boost has been explained, so I won't. I'd think posting there was better, but it hadn't been used in a while.

Also, wow you did not need to drag somebody else's opinion in the mud. Irregardless of if it frustrates you.

Regardless of your opinion on FE6, you show a gigantic lack of maturity for mocking someone for DARING to defend something you dislike.

A lot of points here I will disagree with... and people above have already said most of them... but as a translator, I will focus on one aspect.

Looking back, the old FE6 translation patch was atrocious.

It was good for the time. And I am not dissing the team's work... but just looking at the grammar from an English speaking perspective, it's clear they chose to translate sentences almost 100% literally.

Leading to awkward moments just because they don't work outside Japanese.

Especially in the support conversations. Adding to the fact it's the first time they had them in the series.

Your criticism is in the right ballpark of justified, but unfair since you're holding up a fanslation patch which was old or done completely by gringe to professional works.

As for hit rates... it's Fates, honestly. Until staves start missing, FE6 hit rates are not the absolute worse you're making it out to be.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Talking shit about someone who isn't in a thread (when you wrote this) isn't cool. Regardless of what her opinion is.

Anywho, my response will be in bold

Oh boy...I can see all the people here thinking its a click bait article or something and that there's bound to be an objection side of thing.....but I can't really keep this up any longer to just myself and it really needs to be spitted out...this game is GOD DAMN BROKEN!!!!!!!!

Broken is a stretch, but I will hear you put

The most unbalanced FE game I've ever played as of now and the most frustrating one of them all in my opinion. Even Conquest was solid and fun despite its difficulty being tough.

I'd agree it is hard, but most unbalanced? I'd argue FE 4, 10 (as far as availability), 11, 12, and Revelation are more unbalanced.

No...this game is simply terrible for many of the reasons that I'll point out

Okay... we will see

I wouldn't say everyone, sure, I could see why you think Wolt or Dorthory are inferior to Sue or Shin considering how nomads work. But that doesn't mean Wolt is completely useless. And as for prepromotes, I think people like Klain are great since he starts with an A rank in bows (even if his bases aren't great), having use of his Silver Bow can help against pesky fliers. So he is good to hold you over for a little while.

Not sure why this is bad? Also, this isn't the only game to do that.

This means you have to train them very hard if you want to use them and pray to god that the RNG doesn't screw them as often as they do. Sure, some are very trainable but they all start at lv 1 a time where in later chapters IS BAD!

Some people are worse than others. And some people "aren't worth using", but they are still usable

I have no response for this one except you are using an outdated patch. But I don't know too much about the support conversations in this game

You didn't really say much of anything here. Also, FE 1 to 5 and Fates feel more wonky with hit rates. I will give you this though, axes and lances don't have as good as a hit rate as they should

I personally don't see this and issue. The requirements for Gaiden chapters are usually "Beat under blah blah turns" or "keep blah blah alive". The only one I think is cryptic is I believe 14x is have Sophia get her guiding ring AND beat under blah blah turns (correct me if I am wrong). And getting the good ending is more of a reward than actually "necessary". (But really, I think 1 chapter is actually enjoyable. The other chapter is to pretty much show off how strong you are)

Personally I wish every chapter isn't just "seize", but than goodness it's not "rout the enemy"

Okay yeah. I agree here

He's alright early game, but he does promote way too late

Meh

Well, it's not for everyone.... but I am curious, what Fire Emblem games have you played

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

Not nice. Not at all. You should never, NEVER, shame someone for having a different opinion of yours. What's even worse is that you also shamed the way that he/she (in that case, she) defended her opinion. That's just very mean and disrespectful (well, unless the person used offensive insults) and should not be done whatsoever.

Also, double-checking your spelling here might be a good idea. :p

This has gone far enough.

EDIT: If you get a warning from me, that's a sign that you need to reread the rules.

Edited by eggclipse