Pokemon Prism (ROMhack) DMCA Takedown

Hengki Kusuma Adi

Honnestly, when you saw what happens with Sega and Sonic (where you have no reason to ever buy a new games when you see what fans have made. ANd hiring a fan was a smart move, but too late.), you can understand why they would do that.

Nah Sega got back its Sonic fans before Boom, with Unleashed, Colors and Generations, the final of which is still hailed as a great game (although some argue Colours is better) and modders are making that still even more fun, heck Lost World is very popular on Steam since its release as well. By people who were annoyed at it being a Wii U exclusive and those who have wanted to mod in more Adventure styled stages in Generations can finally do so in a slower paced setting.

Its not really too late considering no matter what happens, with Sonic's low and high tides, the fans are always going to come back in huge force. Mania has a number of the main usually very disjointed Sonic community hyped together, and people are actually fairly optimistic for Project 2017 because its the Colors and Generations team, not the outside companies doing the boom spinoffs.

So stop spreading this "too late" myth, and just accept the fact that Sega has been better in business ventures than Nintendo in the past few years, its how they own Atlus now and its how they are one upping them in fan involvement, as they also allow a lot of freedom on their games in Steam, even on Total War (along with Creative Assembly on that one of course) and Valkyria Chronicles. The fans and developers are way more united here than Nintendo will ever be comfortable allowing, because they are afraid of their precious properties being not in their grubby little hands. You can blame people like Miyamoto for this backwards thinking.

Although I'm sure the CDI games didn't help their mindset on that back in the day, they still need to learn how to take risks. So far the only DMCA they've been justified in was Project M because people were playing it for Money at tournaments, and making money (even if it wasn't the developers themselves getting it) on something fan made is a no go.

I don't get why Miyamoto is personally to blame but regardless, I'll never understand people who support these anti consumer takedowns (not calling out anyone specifically here, just a general statement). The big multi million dollar corporation certainly doesn't need help defending it (nor does it give any fucks), at any rate.

Whoops, I guess I went into my anti-Miyamoto tirade again, I just find he has way too much influence over the company as a whole and even developers who just work with Nintendo, so I find usually that he's a safe target, but that could just be me still annoyed at his interference with Dinosaur Planet, Paper Mario Sticker Star and by extension Color Splash, along with his flimsy excuses for F-Zero to not have had a game in recent years (honestly with how good Sega did with GX just give it to them, not to mention the old developers of F-Zero X did the pretty great Sega All-Star Racing games) or the fact that he made Starfox Zero as gimmicky an as he did because of reasons. And I say that as someone who really likes Star Fox Zero, but it really alienated people and you can see that in the sales alone, and as is typical with Nintendo if something doesn't sell a Million copies, its going dormant for awhile. (I exaggerate but still)

Not surprising. But still horribly, horribly dissapointing, first Uraniums and now this ? :/

Crimson Echoes all over again.

Eh, a part of me wish for the game to come out anyway as a sort of finger to Nintendo, though it would probably cause lot trouble for the devs.

But still, 8. Freaking. Years. Just to be stopped as the last moments. For freaking shame. --'

The thing is, Sega isn't as big of a company as Nintendo, so you can't compare the two... And it still possible to download the game if you know where to look...

The problem with Prism, in my opinion is that the creator had so much creative talent (own original music in a lot of places, completely new region, some new monsters and new mechanics), is that I feel like it could've done better with no connection to Pokémon from start... With all that originality, what was stopping the creator for making a game that had no connection and therefore would be no problem? I feel like that would've been better than not only having all those delays and copyright infringement, but also shoving all of those new Pokémon into outdated mechanics (mainly thinking of post Gen II Pokémon being put into Gen II).

One could argue that it wouldn't attract as much attention and would not have done as well, but there are examples of games that are original, have been built from the ground up, and have done great (Last Scenario and Exit Fate come to mind). What happened is a shame, but it's something that could have easily been avoided.

Edited by wheelsonfire