No Recruit Run

bethany81707

This is a challenge that somewhat occurred to me, but I'm not sure what kind of challenge it is. The principle is simple:

The only characters you are allowed to use are those which the game gives you automatically.

A few examples: You can't recruit a unit that begins as a red unit (say, Joshua), is found in a village/Info Conversation (Canas), or is present on the map as a green unit (Karla, as the only example I can think of off memory).

I'm going to come right out and say that it'd be fairly obvious to assume that the run will be easier in some games than others (FE7 seems easy at a glance, FE10 is almost definitely pretty difficult).

So, what do you think? An interesting challenge that might (keyword might) provide an interesting outlook on the game? Or something that takes more strategy than it offers? (I can think of a few games that have no automatically obtained thieves, for instance).

It'd be pretty easy in quite a number of games, including Fates, FE3, FE10, FE2, FE13

But hey outside of those you might be able to find some interesting challenge with it.

FE12 also hands you a lot of units. More than FE3 Book 2, to be honest.

FE6 is certainly doable, but you'll miss out on Sacae for sure.

Difference between Book 2 & FE12 is that people are scaled way better in Book 2, and catchup isn't nearly as hard :P:

For FE6, you'd be lacking in Myrmidons. Ouch.

Would Clarine count? She has to speak to Roy, rather than the other way around. The game kinda gives her on its own.

Also, you'd have to leave certain "recruits" alive for a full chapter run. Jerrot and Yuno are needed for 20xA (As Shanna is the only one of the Illia/Sacae determiners that is just given) and Zeiss for 21x

[spoiler=FE6 units]Roy

Wolt

Bors

Allen

Lance

Marcus

Ellen

Merlinus

Shanna

Wade

Lot

Dieck

Chad

Clarine (?)

Saul

Dorothy

Astol

Lilina

Wendy

Barth

Oiger

Lalum/Elphin

Miledy

Sophia

Cecilia

Igrene

Fae

Douglas

Niime

Jodel

Plus recruiting those needed to unlock Gaidens.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

FE12 also hands you a lot of units. More than FE3 Book 2, to be honest.

Fighting Medeus would be funny though

Would Clarine count? She has to speak to Roy, rather than the other way around. The game kinda gives her on its own.

I would say Clarine (and any other characters that recruit themselves) should be a freebie since you didn't recruit them, the game gave you them.... in a different way

Hey, does Haar autojoin in FE10 cuz i dont remember. If he does, than yeah, no big loss in that game.

FE6 and FE8 are ones id find this hard to do.

I'm pretty sure that in Part II, you have to talk to him with Marcia. Not sure about the rest of the game/Part III though. Edited by Glaceon Mage

Hey, does Haar autojoin in FE10 cuz i dont remember. If he does, than yeah, no big loss in that game.

No, he doesn't. I know because in my very first playthrough of RD, I missed him.

Yeah, Haar being a character you have to recruit makes the RD run much harder. Also Aran and Volug, too.

As for Clarine, I'd imagine it'd be allowed- PoR has a lot of characters that do this- Mia and Jill would definitely be allowed (you can prevent yourself from recruiting Jill), and Marcia might be, depending on whether talking to her and getting her out of the pirates in Chapter 3 is a necessity for her showing up in Chapter 9.

Although honestly, GlaceonMage, I wonder if offering a list of banned characters in addition to, or instead of, the allowed ones might help understand the gravity of the situation.

[spoiler=FE7 Lyn Mode Allowed]

*Lyn

*Sain

*Kent

*Florina

*Serra

*Erk

*Rath

*Nils

*Lucius

*Wallace

[spoiler=FE7 Lyn Mode Banned]

*Wil

*Dorcas

*Matthew

[spoiler=FE7 Eliwood Mode Allowed]

*Eliwood

*Marcus

*Lowen

*Rebecca

*Dorcas

*Bartre

*Hector

*Oswin

*Matthew

*Serra

*Merlinus

*Lyn

*Kent

*Sain

*Florina

*Wil

*Dart

*Ninian/Nils

*Isadora

*Pent

*Louise

*Athos

[spoiler=FE7 Eliwood Mode Banned]

*Guy

*Erk

*Priscilla

*Raven

*Lucius

*Canas

*Fiora

*Legault

*Rath

*Heath

*Hawkeye

*Wallace/Geitz

*Karel/Harken

*Nino

*Jaffar

*Vaida

*Renault

(If you're insane enough to try Hector mode without recruits, both Farina and Karla are banned anyway. As for the branching route, getting Jerme's PFoD is more likely, seeing as how you have two Hero's Crest users and only one Guiding Ring user)

[spoiler=FE8 Allowed]

*Eirika

*Seth

*Franz

*Gilliam

*Vanessa

*Moulder

*Neimi

*Artur

*Natasha

*Ephraim

*Forde

*Kyle

*Tana

*L'Arachel

*Dozla

*Gerik (Ephraim only)

*Tethys (Ephraim only)

*Innes (Ephraim only)

*Saleh

*Duessel

*Knoll

*Myrrh

[spoiler=FE8 Banned]

*Ross

*Garcia

*Colm

*Lute

*Joshua

*Amelia

*Innes (Eirika only)

*Gerik (Eirika only)

*Tethys (Eirika only)

*Marisa

*Ewan

*Cormag

*Rennac

*Syrene

I know L'Arachel and Dozla 'recruit anyway' in Eirika's route, but I don't know any others.

[spoiler=FE9 Allowed]

*Ike

*Titania

*Oscar

*Boyd

*Rhys

*(Gatrie/Shinon before Greil Death)

*Soren

*Mia

*Mist

*Rolf

*Lethe

*Mordecai

*Jill

*Tormod

*Muarim

*Tanith

*Ranulf

*Bastian

*Lucia

*Geoffrey

*Elincia

*Dragon

[spoiler=FE9 Banned]

*Ilyana

*Marcia (?)

*Volke (?)

*Kieran

*Brom

*Nephenee

*Zihark

*Sothe

*Astrid

*Gatrie (Post Greil Death)

*Makalov

*Stefan

*Devdan

*Reyson (?)

*Janaff (?)

*Ulki (?)

*Shinon (Post Greil Death

*Calill

*Tauroneo

*Haar

*Largo

*Laguz Royal (?)

Volke, the birds and the Royal are not automatically given- but they are on the required path, and the choice of recruiting them is a window that has the option of doing so. I don't know if this counts as 'recruiting' them...

[spoiler=FE10 Allowed]

*Micaiah

*Edward

*Leonardo

*Nolan

*Laura

*Sothe

*Ilyana

*Zihark

*Tauroneo

*Jill

*Fiona

*Nailah

*Rafiel

*Black Knight

*Elincia

*Marcia

*Leanne

*Nealuchi

*Nephenee

*Brom

*Lucia

*Mordecai

*Lethe

*Geoffrey

*Kieran

*Astrid

*Makalov

*Ike

*Titania

*Oscar

*Boyd

*Rolf

*Shinon

*Soren

*Mist

*Gatrie

*Rhys

*Mia

*Ranulf

*Kysha

*Lyre

*Reyson

*Sigrun

*Tanith

*Naesala

*Skrimir

*Sanaki

*Tibarn

*Bastian

*Caineghis

*Giffca

*Ena

*Kurthnaga

*Nasir

*Gareth

[spoiler=FE10 Banned]

*Aran

*Meg

*Volug

*Tormod

*Muarim

*Vika

*Haar

*Heather

*Danved

*Calill

*Janaff

*Ulki

*Pelleas (?)

*Stefan

*Oliver (?)

*Volke

*Renning

*Lehran (?)

Again, 'recruit anyway' might happen in Radiant Dawn, too. Also, Oliver and the Second Playthrough characters do auto-recruit, but only if certain conditions are met...

Wil actually auto-recruits on Lyn hard if you ignore the house he is in!

Edit: Same with Matthew. The only character in Lyn mode who doesn't auto-recruit is Dorcas and that is only if you kill him

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

Well, that makes Lyn mode a lot safer- I was wondering how one would beat Lundgren without the Hammer or Armourslayer.

As it is, there are a lot of cases in the various runs where you think 'oh, that looks fine' at first glance, but then realise 'but wait, how do I do this part?'

Ross, Garcia, Colm, Lute, Innes, Gerik, Tethys and Syrene all join without talking to them/visiting their village in FE8 as well.

Makes sense. And also, Colm is now the only character in FE8 you can get that can open treasure chests and doors without Keys- he's probably the most useful character on that list.

(Joshua, Marisa and Rennac are all banned regardless of route).

I actually did a playthrough just like that in FE8 many years back (on Eirika's route, since there's more green units to skip out on recruiting).

In the case of green units that are recruited automatically after defeating a chapter (like Ross and Colm), I actually purposely rescued them and stuck them in front of the boss so they'd be killed and I wouldn't get them on my team afterwards (Ross dying prevents Garcia from being recruited, on a side note). I literally went out of my way to make sure I wouldn't get a character recruited even if the game handed me them on a golden platter. I even remember trying to fail to recruit Lute by having the undead destroy the village she was in, only to find out that undead can't destroy villages (I even tried using cheats/glitches to get the undead to destroy the village).

Sadly, Dozla was the only green unit I failed to fail to not recruit (in other words, I was forced to recruit him). Dozla was too powerful to get killed by the enemies in that chapter. I probably should've tried harder by using cheats or something, but then again, if it takes cheats to fail to recruit someone, I think the game is trying to tell me something at that point.

What convinced me to do a playthrough like that, you ask? Well, when I first started playing Fire Emblem for the very first time through FE3, I essentially did a playthrough like that for the first part of the game, since I had no idea that villages could be visited and certain enemies could be recruited by talking to them (I started playing the game without a guide until the chapter you get Linde at). I thought it would be fun to see how well I'd progress in another FE if I still didn't know about recruiting characters and visiting villages (and pretending the worst case scenario would always happen in terms of recruiting characters, such as Ross and Colm dying as green units).

Sadly, Dozla was the only green unit I failed to fail to not recruit (in other words, I was forced to recruit him). Dozla was too powerful to get killed by the enemies in that chapter. I probably should've tried harder by using cheats or something, but then again, if it takes cheats to fail to recruit someone, I think the game is trying to tell me something at that point.

Aye, I hated Dozla on my first playthrough of Eirika because of how stupid he was. Killed a Bonewalker instead of the Gargoyles that were killing L'Arachel, so I lost her, and then he stopped moving on top of the Short Spear chest.

Fatty was too heavy to move with Kyle or Tana (16 Con to 15 Aid apiece), and I love peg knights too much to let a Short Spear go to waste, so I lost that run.

Shadow Dragon would be heaps of fun! Here's who you'd miss out on:

Wrys

Darros

Navarre

Merric

Matthis

Wendell

Rickard

Bantu

Roger

Jeorge

Maria

Minerva

Linde

Jake

Astram

Beck

Palla

Catria

Arran/Samson

Xane

Est

Tiki

Lorenz

and probably the gaiden characters, since generics keep your party afloat

I probably missed a few, but eh. Even with that list, the game gives you plenty of good characters to use. Many of the ones I listed are skipped in drafts, too.

Shadow Dragon would be heaps of fun! Here's who you'd miss out on:

Wrys

Darros

Navarre

Merric

Matthis

Wendell

Rickard

Bantu

Roger

Jeorge

Maria

Minerva

Linde

Jake

Astram

Beck

Palla

Catria

Arran/Samson

Xane

Est

Tiki

Lorenz

and probably the gaiden characters, since generics keep your party afloat

I probably missed a few, but eh. Even with that list, the game gives you plenty of good characters to use. Many of the ones I listed are skipped in drafts, too.

I essentially experienced that in my very first FE3 runthrough (since I only found out about character recruiting from Linde and onward and even then, most of the characters I did recruit were hardly used/levelled except for Xane and Samson).

It actually wasn't too bad. The main issue that arose was finding a good user of Starlight. In that particular playthrough of mine, Linde was below level 5, and I was stuck with using either Lena or Boah (at base). Thankfully, my Lena was levelled up a fair amount and was strong enough to take down Gharnef with Starlight.