Does anyone know if the main Lord has some form of Provoke skill? I've set Eirika and Ephraim standing next to each other to fight off a horde of enemies in two instances, and in both, the enemies all attacked Eirika, with no regard to traditional AI quirks.

And by 'traditional AI quirks', I mean 'once all the spots Eirika could be attacked from range were filled, all the Rangers equipped their swords and attacked Eirika in melee range, dying to her Rapier, when they could have shot arrows at Ephraim and avoided a counter'.

Ephraim was so good at the start of the run, but his support with Eirika probably hurt him more than it helped- he couldn't get any kills because everyone ran right past him and attacked Eirika instead.

I don't know how FE8 AI works, but don't enemies in all games go for the unit in their range with the lowest Def? (unless your Eirika was Def-blessed like crazy)

Which might explain Chapter 16, but I'm fairly sure there's a 'avoid counterattacks' routine. Unless those Rangers just didn't happen to have bows (in which case, horrible time to finally remove Vanessa and Tana from that chokepoint).

I can confirm that in FE6, Roy has a flag that makes him more likely to be targetted by the AI, independant of Def. IDK if it applies to other GBA games though, you'd have to ask Gryz.

Edited by Irysa

Well, glad to hear that it's not just my imagination. Next run I do of Sacred Stones will probably be an Ephraim run, and I plan to Support him with someone else. If the Provoke flag does exist in Sacred Stones, I might be able to use him to distract the AI from normally risky things.

Just have to make sure, if I have a choice between targets that need healing, to make him a priority.

• 2 weeks later...

All right, so I did Chapter 19 on my Ephraim run. Ephraim and Tana were sitting in the chokepoint, and they seemed to be prioritising Tana. So it's probably a Def case.

I did find a Ranger that had a sword equipped (it was a nasty surprise when I ran Natasha up to hide in his 'range shadow'). Fog of War maps were you plug a chokepoint and let swarms of unknown enemies run up to you and die are annoying to remember to check weapons, so maybe those Rangers didn't have bows. Odd that there's waves of archers... and then they turn into swords.