How would you have handled Corrin's family?

BlueBloodEmblazer

Would you have left it the way it is (4 adopted sibling=Nohr) 4 step sibling=Hoshido, 2 Valla (cousin Azura), and Corrin themself. And all of them are S-supportable besides Corrin.

or would you rather had, Azura is King Garon's biological daughter, Corrin is the Hoshido 4 royals biological sibling. Azura and Corrin are only allowed to S-support each other and no other royals

or something else?

EDIT: I totally forgot about Lillith, but can you blame me?

Edited by BlueBloodEmblazer

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe because i stopped paying attention to this game's painful story, but i didn't understand how takumi and sakura can be younger than corrin but have the same mother as ryoma and hinoka.

>Ryoma born

>Hinoka born

>Corrin born

>Takumi born

>Sakura born

>last queen dies

>Mikoto flees from Valla to Hoshido

>Mikoto marries Sumergami

>Sumergami dies and Corrin is kidnapped

EDIT: Corrin's dad is Anankos

Edited by BlueBloodEmblazer

I would rather have had Azura and Corrin be blood related to the kingdoms they are supposed to be from then the way it turned out in game.

>Ryoma born

>Hinoka born

>Corrin born

>Takumi born

>Sakura born

>last queen dies

As to this you only find this out if you buy and play Hidden Truths.

I think it's safe to say that marketing this game as having ten different main characters simply didn't work. The sisters are thoroughly neglected by the plot as a whole, with Elise being the most important one thanks to her short arc in Birthright. They're given fan servicey or pandering designs and introduction videos and in general don't have the best supports. They also don't have their own weapons, unlike the brothers.

Ryouma is actually not all that different in terms of importance, leaving everything in Corrin's hands in Birthright after being gone for quite some time, appearing far less in Conquest than Xander does in Birthright and fading into the background along with the rest of the cast in Revelation.

Then there's Azura, who they pushed so hard I think they wanted to make her the next breakout character à la Lucina, but seeing as how she just comes across as a walking exposition bot/plot convenience with no emotions in the main story, I'd say that didn't work out very well.

There was just no reason for there to be so many characters involved. They simply didn't have the time or the skill to develop them all, so a lot of the time they're simply just there. One of the weirdest parts in all of Birthright is hearing Corrin calling the Hoshidans brothers and sisters, yet we're never shown them bonding, but rather just spouting exposition back and forth, making me wonder if Corrin just automatically latches on to anyone who calls themselves their family member. I mean, we also find out they're not Corrin's siblings at all, so it's just...bizarre.

What would I have done? Just merge a few of the characters and focus on quality rather than quantity. This game's cast is bloated enough already, with so many subplots left ignored and the world left completely barren due to nonexistent worldbuilding. I'd also prioritize character interactions throughout the main story far more - or rather add it, since only the Nohrian siblings actually show any attempts at having chemistry, and they do that twice before chapter seven in Conquest, then they're relegated to watching from the sidelines as Corrin doesn't clue them in on what's going on, which is still more than the Hoshidans get. The one thing they needed to nail was Corrin's relationship with their family, and that would've been much easier had there been, like, four or five less siblings to write.

Also, had Valla and Anankos not existed, they could've focused even more on fleshing out the story that actually mattered, and Azura wouldn't have come off as such a contrived plot convenience that was only there to save the writers when they needed a quick fix.

At the end of the day though, does it matter? Was this ever even a priority? I mean, Corrin doesn't react at all to finding out they don't have any real siblings or that Azura is their cousin, and the game doesn't allow Lilith to tell them that she's actually their sister - you know, because she needed to be a dragon fish maid serving them all their life instead, for some reason.

Edited by Thane

I would most certainly have made it so that the Hoshidans were Corrin's actual siblings. Garon may make the choice laughable sided in Hoshido's favor but you could still make the argument that Corrin having neither blood nor loyalty towards Hoshido makes it an odd choice to side with. I think it damages a lot of people involved that they aren't related to Corrin. Ryoma in particular comes off a bit nasty on how he insist that the Nohrians can't possibly be Corrin's actual family despite knowing none of the Hoshidans have any more blood ties to Corrin.

It may be a theory without any proof to back it up but I strongly belief the Hoshidans not being related to Corrin was a very late addition that came as a form of pandering to the fans who wanted to waifu/husbando the Hoshidans. A lot of seemingly late additions point to IS getting cold feet and pander to high heavens as a result.

At the very least there should have been a scene where Corrin struggles that he betrayed the family who raised him over a lie of a ''real'' family.

I don't mind Anankos existing, its hard to name a FE were someone doesn't pull the strings from behind the scenes but I would not have made him Corrin's father. What does it add except by making Corrin's family tree needlessly convoluted. Garon, Sumaragi and Mikoto deliver all the parental drama that is needed. I can't say the two have anything meaningful bond either. It explains why Corrin can turn into a dragon but that could have easily been explained another way.

With how mysterious she acts I think Azura would be the better fit for being Anankos child since she knows so much about Vala and it would make her being so mysterious pay off more. Now its her merely being the child of the king murdered by Anankos but why not cut out that middle man and make Anankos that kingly father.

making me wonder if Corrin just automatically latches on to anyone who calls themselves their family member

That actually sounds pretty in character for Corrin to me.

In short, Corrin would be the child of Mikoto (who would be Anankos's half-sister in my version) and Sumeragi, Takumi and Sakura would be his siblings, and Ryoma and Hinoka would be his half-siblings. And also none of the Hoshido or Nohr siblings S-Supportable because seriously was that really necessary IntSys.

Azura not being related to either family is not the problem I have with her, so she's fine still being Arete and the unnamed King of Valla's kid.

Edited by AzureSen

I guess I'll just list how I played out Fates' story in my head during my run, because any FE plot, especially a post POR one, is too poor for me to take it as is, so I change many MANY details in my runs to where the same ideas of the original story are hit, but in a way that from my amateur writer's viewpoint, is a actually enjoyable story.

Corrin is blood related to the Hoshidans, but Mikoto decends from Anankos, therefore he has enough Dragon blood in him from mixing the Royal blood to transform. Azura is straight up Garon's daughter, but Arete is still Vallite royalty but descends from one of Valla's branch families, therefore Arete lacked Dragon blood to pass down, so Azura can't transform. Lilith flat out doesn't exist in my interpatation of the game's narrative in my run because I literally forgot she existed.

Not entirely related, but I believe Anankos to be a degenerated Divine Dragon, going off how FE3 claims if Tiki degenerated she would destroy the world, and degenerated Anankos appears to hold a similar level of power while insane.

Ryoma in particular comes off a bit nasty on how he insist that the Nohrians can't possibly be Corrin's actual family despite knowing none of the Hoshidans have any more blood ties to Corrin.

The fact that this isn't a plot point in Birthright is mind-boggling. It would've been the perfect time to add some nuance to the conflict, some depth to the character interactions and some personal weight to the stakes - Corrin storming off in anger and confusion after finding this out would've done so much in making the relationships portrayed in the game feel real, but it's just not mentioned at all unless you figure it out in an S support. As it stands, the only reason why Corrin's heritage isn't a bigger deal (you know, in spite of that being a fundamental part of the premise) is because they need to be able to bang every single member of their enormous, convoluted, constantly changing (and lying) family tree.

Maybe that's why Mikoto died, to stop people from requesting an S rank with her.

Edited by Thane

>Ryoma born

>Hinoka born

>Corrin born

>Takumi born

>Sakura born

>last queen dies

I thought corrin was a baby when kidnapped, but she has to be significantly older than Sakura now?

I thought corrin was a baby when kidnapped, but she has to be significantly older than Sakura now?

Corrin was at least old enough to hold a sword when she was kidnapped, according to Revelation.

Other than denying Corrin and Azura the ability to marry their siblings (and giving Azura's father a name, if that counts) I wouldn't change anything.

Corrin would be unrelated to Hoshidan royalty even if they couldn't marry. Making them unrelated certainly wasn't a last minute decision, since Corrin's parentage is tied to them being a dragon.* Ryoma and Hinoka can't be Mikoto's children in that case, but Takumi and Sakura are also Ikona's children because they didn't want Corrin to be related to only half of their Hoshido siblings or something. The sequence of events** is reasonable, except that the game never directly tells you the sequence of events. Solve that problem and you're good.

*Because Mikoto probably can't have two children with Sumeragi, leave for a kingdom that no one's heard of, sleep with an amnesic dragon god and bear his child, and then return to Hoshido and have two more children with Sumeragi without raising questions.

[spoiler=**The aforementioned sequence of events]

Sumeragi and Ikona have Ryoma

Sumeragi and Ikona have Hinoka

Anankos and Mikoto have Corrin in Valla

Mikoto and Corrin flee to Hoshido, Sumeragi and Mikoto agree to pretend that Corrin is Sumeragi's child

Sumeragi and Ikona have Takumi

Sumeragi and Ikona have Sakura, Ikona dies

Sumeragi and Mikoto marry, Mikoto becomes queen

Sumeragi killed by Garon, Corrin kidnapped

Edited by Lightchao42

I would have put Corrin's focus on the people that he has the closest relationships with. This would primarily be his close retainers, Felicia, Flora, Jakob, and Lilith. I imagine Corrin would envision Xander, Leo and Gunther as his mentors, but this doesn't mean he would be particularly close with them. Camilla is doting and Elise can be a bit needy so Corrin would probably see them as proper siblings that he wants in small doses (he seems to get a bit annoyed having to spend too much time with them as he doesn't like all the attention).

In the case of Hoshido, Corrin could latch on to Mikoto being his actual mother and get genuinely upset when he loses the opportunity to get to know her (no issues with his dragon rage incident). Azura having a similar situation to him would probably help them build common ground and become friends. But for the other siblings, absent any memories of them it would be hard for him to accept them as his family. Corrin would need time to accept them as being siblings and it doesn't help the situation that Takumi is always thinking Corrin is a spy or traitor. There is an absence of bonding between Corrin and the Hoshidan royals in the current story.

The real shame though is the lack of interaction between Lilith and Corrin because they are half-siblings. There is so much that could have been explored there, in addition in revelations, once Owain, Severa and Inigo are in the Forgotten Kingdom, there is little reason for them to not reveal themselves to Corrin and explain Lilith's importance and their mission.

lol well that's conveniently vague

Corrin was definitely younger than seven and most likely younger than six, since Hinoka started her training to bring them back when she was seven years old, according to Ryouma, and that is after she had been devastated for an unspecified amount of time.

Corrin doesn't even need to be a dragon to be honest, especially when the actual plot itself hardly touches upon the fact and people barely talk about it. Even if they have to be a dragon, there can be other explanations (concentrated dragon blood etc.) without them having to be born from a dragon.

Edited by Ryo

In Sakura's supports with Corrin, it is revealed that Sakura is so scared because it was rumored by servants that she was the one who was supposed to be kidnapped instead of Corrin. So yeah, Sakura was definitely born and Corrin was no baby.

Corrin doesn't even need to be a dragon to be honest, especially when the actual plot itself hardly touches upon the fact and people barely talk about it. Even if they have to be a dragon, there can be other explanations (concentrated dragon blood etc.) without them having to be born from a dragon.

The story totally missed out on Corrin dragon talk, I think. Aside from none of the Nohrian siblings recognizing the dragon form in chapter 6, there maybe could've been more dragon episodes and more obvious connections to Anankos made, making Corrin believe that maybe no side was right because they're a monster either way? I don't know; it's similar to Robin in Awakening, but I think it really would've spiced things up for Corrin's "character" while making the whole dragon thing still relevant to the story.

Something that really bothers me in Conquest is that Corrin thinks so much "maybe I should've joined Hoshido instead," but we don't really get the opposite of that in Birthright. Corrin prefers Hoshido confirmed?

I personally don't mind the family structure as it is, but I wouldn't have made them S-supportable to Corrin. Of course, many players think differently on that, so I fear the incest will continue in future installments. And at least the sibling-marrying players knew what they were getting into, too. Waiting until the third-to-last chapter of Revelation to reveal that Azura is Corrin's cousin was a horrible move on the writers' part.

At the very least there should have been a scene where Corrin struggles that he betrayed the family who raised him over a lie of a ''real'' family.

Honestly this is what bothered me the most about siding with Hoshido. Corrin abandons the only family he's known and not once does he question his choice? I mean, yeah, sure, it was necessary to end the war, but not even when Elise tell him about how much the family has been torn apart due to his departure does he even question himself.

Anyway, if I were to handle Corrin and his family, I'd make it so that he's actually. You know. RELATED to the Hoshidan family? Like it was advertised?

...also, I would get rid of the "Corrin and Azura being related" plot point because it wasn't even needed. It was brought up once. Casually. And never mentioned again.

None of this third kingdom crap - Azura is Garon's daughter and Corrin is Sibling the Fifth on Hoshido's side. For the third arc, I'd have Corrin and Azura try to figure out a way to end the war without having the two kingdoms murder each other, by slowly allying with the numerous neutral territories.

If it were up to me:

Anankos would be Arete and Mikoto's father.

Both would have escaped Valla when Dad went insane.

Both would be the mother of the three youngest siblings: Arete - Azura, Leo, Elise; Mikoto - Corrin, Takumi, Sakura.

Garon would be Azura's father and Sumeragi would be Corrin's, thus making them related to all their respective siblings.

No sibling S supports, blood or adopted.

Edited by kcirrot

If it were up to me:

Anakos would be Arete and Mikoto's father.

Both would have escaped Valla when Dad went insane.

Both would be the mother of the three youngest siblings: Arete - Azura, Leo, Elise; Mikoto - Corrin, Takumi, Sakura.

Garon would be Azura's father and Sumeragi would be Corrin's, thus making them related to all their respective siblings.

No sibling S supports, blood or adopted.

yeah i think i'm gonna just headcanon this

so how much time could corrin have even spent in hoshido if she can't be there until sakura is born, and she's kidnapped at too young an age to remember anything?

To be fair there's some hinting at the fact that Corrin's early memories might've been tampered with by Nohrian mages, so Corrin could've been 4-5. Corrin was old enough for Ryoma to be jealous of Corrin's leadership abilities (one of the most laughable lines in the game, for me).

Yeah, the dragon ability was another hugely mishandled aspect of the plot. So much could've been done with it.

Anyway, I'd do as others have suggested and get rid of Valla, with Corrin being the Hoshidans' blood sibling, as fun as some of the siblings are to romance (a few have longer and better S-supports with Corrin than Corrin does with the rest of the cast - what's that about, IS?!)