Games You Like That Everyone Else Hates

Rezzy

Fairly certain one exists on the GBA, or was that just a simple port?

Decently sure its a full out remake, like the GBA version of the first game. I believe there's also another remake for the PSP.

Edit: got ninja'd by Augestein

Edited by Reloaded

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zelda: Skyward Sword might count... There are people that love it, but everywhere I go, for every person that likes it, it feels like three more dislike it for petty reasons such as Fi or the linearity (I get that Fi is hand-holdy and that was a flaw, but it didn't make the game terrible, same with the linearity). I see complaints about the controls too, which is valid especially if you're a lefty. While I love them, they did need a bit of polishing. But the game wasn't like totally unplayable or anything, sheesh...

If someone dislikes the game because they didn't like the dungeons or story or something, that's more reasonable. Not "I hate Fi, this game sucks!" :/

My biggest problem with Skyward Sword is that the whole thing feels like busy work. It overloads you with stuff your forced to do to the extent that you feel no actual sense of reward or accomplishment for doing anything. It's like anywhere Link goes there's some minor obstacle that takes twenty minutes to get around only to hit immediately hit another minor obstacle. As a left I found the controls awkward but it made the game satisfyingly difficult. My real issue there is that the sword, bows and bombs are practically the only way to damage enemies. I like the feeling that Link is a versatile fighter who does't depend too much on one weapon but the combat in this is entirely sword based that it takes away from that feel.

Final fantasy 4: The after years would be my main one. Everyone seems to hate the game, but I had a lot of fun with it.

I'm not blind to the games flaws. The main story is not very good and the game likes referencing the original a bit too much. Still I thought they showed how the old cast turned out very well and the giant roster and the new band attacks made things fun from the gameplay side.

I was thinking of saying the After Years in my initial post but I thought it might not be panned enough to really count. The original game probably had a better feel to its story but I think the After Years has a better story overall in terms of concept. I really like the multiple parallel arcs concept. And while the gameplay kind of takes a hit due to the multitude of characters with scattered availability, the band system is really good idea that I wish more games would do (Chrono Trigger is another notable example of it). I really want to make a version of it that displays all the scene chronologically, edited so its like a movie. I think it could turn out really cool and it's the kind of thing I'd have a tonne of fun trying to place all the scenes. But actually getting all the footage seems like such a bother.

My biggest problem with Skyward Sword is that the whole thing feels like busy work. It overloads you with stuff your forced to do to the extent that you feel no actual sense of reward or accomplishment for doing anything. It's like anywhere Link goes there's some minor obstacle that takes twenty minutes to get around only to hit immediately hit another minor obstacle. As a left I found the controls awkward but it made the game satisfyingly difficult. My real issue there is that the sword, bows and bombs are practically the only way to damage enemies. I like the feeling that Link is a versatile fighter who does't depend too much on one weapon but the combat in this is entirely sword based that it takes away from that feel.

Hmm. I suppose that's valid. I guess I'm someone that likes being kept busy in a game too and doesn't want to wander around feeling lost.

Hmm. I suppose that's valid. I guess I'm someone that likes being kept busy in a game too and doesn't want to wander around feeling lost.

Oh. Forgot to mention that I actually rank the legitimate dungeons rather highly in Skyward Sword. Some of them could do with being a bit more open for navigational purposes but generally the puzzles and layout are good throughout. It's just that outside the dungeons all the obstacles they present just feel forced and unnecessary.

I think these obstacles are actually why i love Skyward Sword so much

Anyway, they're not universally hated, but both Skyward Sword and Shadow Dragon are probably the closest to that for me

Edited by Nobody

As for games... the only game I could think of is... FE5... but I'd say it's not generally hated.

It rather splits the fandom.

Many people like the introduction of the new mechanics while others were daunted by them.

I love capturing and the idea of fatigue. Only wished that fatigue was based on a different factor. (like total of experience for an unit depending on its level)

Zelda: Skyward Sword might count... There are people that love it, but everywhere I go, for every person that likes it, it feels like three more dislike it for petty reasons such as Fi or the linearity (I get that Fi is hand-holdy and that was a flaw, but it didn't make the game terrible, same with the linearity). I see complaints about the controls too, which is valid especially if you're a lefty. While I love them, they did need a bit of polishing. But the game wasn't like totally unplayable or anything, sheesh...

I haven't finished Skyward Sword but I enjoy it quite a bit. Fan-favorite Ocarina of Time believe it or not is the one I can't get into.

I haven't finished Skyward Sword but I enjoy it quite a bit. Fan-favorite Ocarina of Time believe it or not is the one I can't get into.

I have similar feelings about TWW and MM. I don't like either of them at all, but they're popular in the Zelda series. MM I can kind of understand why people like (the characters having their own schedules and the sidequests affecting them the way they do and all is pretty cool and the game is different and original), but TWW I despise and cannot see what people love about it other than the graphical/art style.

And a couple Zelda games I favor, SS and FSA, aren't as well-loved. At least most of us seem to agree that TMC and ALttP are great. :P

Edited by Anacybele

I doubt anyone here would have heard of his game, but The Conduit for the Wii. It's a futuristic first-person shooter with a pretty mediocre campaign and a conceptually-interesting multiplayer that ended up bad due to poor and vulnerable servers. While I thought the multiplayer was okay during its lifetime (I had a bunch of friends I played with, making it more bearable), the campaign was a good experience, with an interesting story and good level design, bogged down by difficulty. But I think it's generally agreed that the game was overall poor. And then Conduit 2 happened and just... wow. What a waste of money that was.

Edited by Blusis

Would SaGa Frontier still count? Or did the advent of actually competent internet guides kinda change that?

'Cause I love me some SaGa Frontier. Animations are tight af, soundtrack is kickass (Kenji Ito you're a musical genius), and I LOVE the Sparking mechanic. SO. FUCKING. MUCH. <3

#SaGaFrontierHDRemaster/RemakeWhen

...if it doesn't count then uh. I got nothing I guess. *shrugs*

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon is the only one that really comes to mind. I've always felt that people hold that game to an unfair standard, especially with how it's supposed to be a remake of the very first game and how they're trying to stay as close to it as possible while making it more accessible. Plus, it actually sold quite well, despite what quite a lot of haters claim.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon is the only one that really comes to mind. I've always felt that people hold that game to an unfair standard, especially with how it's supposed to be a remake of the very first game and how they're trying to stay as close to it as possible while making it more accessible. Plus, it actually sold quite well, despite what quite a lot of haters claim.

I like Shadow Dragon, inasmuch as even the worst Fire Emblem game I've played is still above average in terms of being compared to video games at large that I've played.

It at least has modern conveniences and gameplay for FE, as opposed to the older ones I've tried to play.

I'd have to say Tales of Legendia.

Would SaGa Frontier still count? Or did the advent of actually competent internet guides kinda change that?

'Cause I love me some SaGa Frontier. Animations are tight af, soundtrack is kickass (Kenji Ito you're a musical genius), and I LOVE the Sparking mechanic. SO. FUCKING. MUCH. <3

#SaGaFrontierHDRemaster/RemakeWhen

...if it doesn't count then uh. I got nothing I guess. *shrugs*

Not the first one. The second one? Yes, that one can count, but definitely not the first.

Assasin's creed 3 comes to mind. Its something of a black sheep and a game that highlights for many people just how tired the series has become but I find a lot of the things it does to be very respectable.

I also strangely enough believe the story is the best of the bunch. Not in any way because of its hero but Haythen shows a good villain can go a long way to fix a weak hero.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Not the first one. The second one? Yes, that one can count, but definitely not the first.

What's weird is that Saga Frontier 2, despite its faults, is a much better made game than the first one. For starters, the localization isn't a complete mess, and the story is considerably more complete. Sure there's plot blips like Fake Gustav, but I can say that I made it through most of the game without thinking it was a slog. I honestly do not like the first one, but everyone else. I don't love the sequel, but I respect it more. Oh, and the gameboy ones are actually good too.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Its a fun time with a decent soundtrack. Its not supposed to be taken seriously and was never meant to. People were so salty about this game, but they took it too seriously.

Drakkhen (SNES) is a legitimately bad game, but its a favorite of mine. I love that i was able to figure this game out before the days of the internet, without help. Its so bizarre and a bit ball crunchingly difficult, a lot of people never even made it past the second dungeon.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Its a fun time with a decent soundtrack. Its not supposed to be taken seriously and was never meant to. People were so salty about this game, but they took it too seriously.

Drakkhen (SNES) is a legitimately bad game, but its a favorite of mine. I love that i was able to figure this game out before the days of the internet, without help. Its so bizarre and a bit ball crunchingly difficult, a lot of people never even made it past the second dungeon.

Have you played Drakkhen II a.k.a. Dragon View? It has a 2.5D view for the dungeons and a 3D first person view for the overworld. I don't find the latter very practical but it is an interesting idea nonetheless. The dungeons are very well designed, but the gameplay gets a little repetitive after a while. I haven't beat it yet, I plan to do it sometime.

I couldn't get into the FF series. I tried with FF6, I got to a floating island but I found it extremely tedious. I read about Mystic Quest and the lots of hate it gets, maybe I shouldtry it.

Why did you find FF6 extremely tedious? Asking because I'm 90% sure that you're not going to enjoy Mystic Quest unless you have very specific issues with how FF6 in particular works.

Why did you find FF6 extremely tedious? Asking because I'm 90% sure that you're not going to enjoy Mystic Quest unless you have very specific issues with how FF6 in particular works.

I can attest to this too. I've played both, and FF6 is definitely a cut above MQ. Also, I think MQ is hated more for what it stands for than anything else. Its creation really doesn't make much sense.

Edited by Augestein

FF6 is the only FF I've played, so I can't talk about FF in general. I've read very positive reviews about FF6, and at first I was drawn by its aesthetics and its soundtrack but I have to say I didn't like its gameplay that much. I enjoyed Chrono Trigger very much even if some boss battles made want to tear my joystick apart, but with FF6 I didn't felt the same. I didn't like having random battles so often while I was trying to cross long gaps of grass between towns, and I felt each battle was too long. Anyway, I got to the floating island and tried to find the correct way through the portals, but it got increasingly frustrating and annoying. I think I was halfway through the game, sadly, according to what I read. Paradoxically, I guess traditional turn-based RPGs are not my cup of tea. I was drawn to Fire Emblem mainly because its tactical aspect, not so much for its RPG aspect.

I can attest to this too. I've played both, and FF6 is definitely a cut above MQ. Also, I think MQ is hated more for what it stands for than anything else. Its creation really doesn't make much sense.

Oh, good to know then. I read that it was easy for newcomers, but some reviews I read said it was insulting for FF fans, maybe that's what you mean with "what it stands for".

Oh, good to know then. I read that it was easy for newcomers, but some reviews I read said it was insulting for FF fans, maybe that's what you mean with "what it stands for".

Keeping a Fire Emblem comparison here, Mystic Quest is essentially playing "Lyn Mode" the game. If those are the reasons that you disliked FF6, you'll probably not really like MQ. Games like Secret of Mana, despite their lower scores, would probably be more your team. Either that, or Summon Knight. The GBA Summon Knight Swordcraft stories are simple but they are fun.

To chime in on other games mentioned so far...

I too enjoyed the original Bubsy a fair deal. Not the best game, but a perfectly respectable platformer. I haven't seen much hate for it personally? Its sequels, now... I haven't played those but I've heard a lot of bad things.

FF13 is more polarising than anything else, but yeah, I loved it. Straight-up, I think it's one of the best FFs. Linearity isn't a flaw to me, its battle system is amazing, its battle design is great (I love how randoms weren't just filler trash to shove aside in 30 seconds, and it has some amazing boss fights) and I really liked its cast.

Keeping a Fire Emblem comparison here, Mystic Quest is essentially playing "Lyn Mode" the game. If those are the reasons that you disliked FF6, you'll probably not really like MQ. Games like Secret of Mana, despite their lower scores, would probably be more your team. Either that, or Summon Knight. The GBA Summon Knight Swordcraft stories are simple but they are fun.

Yeah, you're probably right. I might try it again sometime in the future with a different mindset and enjoy it, it has happened before. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Have you played Drakkhen II a.k.a. Dragon View? It has a 2.5D view for the dungeons and a 3D first person view for the overworld. I don't find the latter very practical but it is an interesting idea nonetheless. The dungeons are very well designed, but the gameplay gets a little repetitive after a while. I haven't beat it yet, I plan to do it sometime.

I couldn't get into the FF series. I tried with FF6, I got to a floating island but I found it extremely tedious. I read about Mystic Quest and the lots of hate it gets, maybe I shouldtry it.

I actually havent but ive heard of that game.

MQ is pretty much doing the same sorts of tasks over and over throughout the game.

People who hate MQ for "what it stands for" make me giggle. *snort*