Games You Like That Everyone Else Hates

Rezzy

Most people seem to really dislike the Crash Bandicoot games made after Naughty Dog gave up their rights to the franchise, but I feel like at the very least Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity were great games (in spite of the terrible load times and being obviously unfinished respectively).

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like Megaman X6, even more than Megaman X5. Fake difficulty is still better than no difficulty at all.

Also, Forbidden Memories. The gameplay sucks, it's all about summoning the strongest monster and then winning, but I still like it. I think the story had potential to be on par with the anime's (which... isn't that good, but still, good enough I guess), the ost was really cool and so was the characters' drawings.

19 hours ago, The Geek said:

Most people seem to really dislike the Crash Bandicoot games made after Naughty Dog gave up their rights to the franchise, but I feel like at the very least Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity were great games (in spite of the terrible load times and being obviously unfinished respectively).

I like WoC and Twinsanity (but I wouldn't call either of them "great"), although I do think the load times (for WoC) are indeed atrocious and Twinsanity does suffer from some glitches (showing that it is not a finished product) here and there.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

• 3 weeks later...

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. A lot of people hate this game, and honestly I can see why. It's a radical departure from the rest of the series, the battle system is complex and hard to get to grips with, the atmosphere is dark and dreary and the D-counter puts a timer on the entire experience with no way to set the clock back like in Majora's Mask. But for me, a lot of that is why I love the game. I was initially put off by how different it is to the rest of the series as I love Breath of Fire (III and IV especially) but the more I played it and got to grips with the game itself, the more I loved it. I love the dark and dreary atmosphere. It's done well; it doesn't feel edgy or like it's trying too hard like it could very easily have been, but rather the actual effects of the underground world on the people are handled well, such as the deteriorating air quality, the lack of lighting and the fact the ceiling of Lowtown is painted to look like the sky. It's accentuated by the wonderful soundtrack, which is ambient and atmospheric without being dull in terms of melody.

I also love how combat is integrated into the exploration, with the ability to use traps and lures to damage enemies outside of battle or avoid engaging them entirely. It adds a great layer of depth and strategy to the game that just really appeals to me. And of course, there's the elephant in the room, being the dragon transformation and the D-counter. When the D-counter hits 100% it's game over, and there's no way to reverse it, and using your transformations eats it up like no one's business. The payoff to this is that the dragon form is unbelievably overpowered, allowing you to steamroll any encounter for the price of shortening the time you have to reach the end. The tradeoff is made worthwhile due to the relatively high difficulty of the game (on the first playthrough, anyway; it's admittedly easy to cheese it on subsequent playthroughs by carrying Party Exp and equipment over), encouraging you to think carefully about whether or not you want to risk using dragon mode to blast through an otherwise difficult enemy at the cost of increasing the D-counter. And if you back yourself into an unwinnable corner, all is not lost as the game allows you to start over and keep the Party Experience and items you've accumulated, allowing you to have an easier time getting further next time.

Again, I totally understand why people don't like this game. Imposing an irreversible timer on the entire game is not going to appeal to everyone, and it really is a radical shift from the rest of the series. But for what it is, I love it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/12/2016 at 4:10 AM, Tryhard said:

Drakengard, it's just interesting.

I also had a lot of fun with Driv3r when I was younger, widely considered to be a bad game.

On 29/12/2016 at 9:33 PM, Knight Falchion said:

Seconding the Drakengard series and the Digimon games. The former series is flawed but engaging because of all the shit Yoko Taro pulls and the latter series is nostalgic and fun, plus I like the weird designs. I'd also argue that the Digimon World DS games are even well-made RPGs, if not outstanding.

Is the Drakengard series really that hated? I honestly saw more people that love it than people who hate it.

On 30/12/2016 at 1:49 PM, Dayni said:

I'd say burn the witch, but FF2 exists. So I can't say that seriously.

B-but FF2 is fun.

Also, regarding the Drakengard series, I have to say Drakengard 2: I understand the problems people have with the game, but they don't bother me and I just love everything about it. Yes, including him, Nowe.

I would also mention FFXII, but It seems to be gaining more love in these days, so I'm not sure if It really fits in this thread.

Banjo Nuts&Bolts

I was in a pretty unique position I guess, since when it first came out, I was a fan of both the n64 platform games and the car-combat genre(twisted metal, vigilante 8, etc). But honestly I think that more people should give it a chance. I do think that the opening chapter/tutorial is kind of TOO aggressive towards the original games, but if you think about it, how many remakes spend too much time "mythologizing" their source material? The rest of the game switches to a more Tooie style of humor anyway- And the Lord of Games character is funny if you see him ironically in light of the "top selling" videogames of the 6-8th console generations compared to the 5th generation console Banjo Kazooie originally came from. I also think that the music in this game is underated- It's really fun to try to match the soundtrack with the n64 worlds it comes from, especially since most of the levels are made of 3-5 n64 tracks---- The title theme remix does suck though--.  

Edited by Reality

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to have to go with Zelda II:  The Adventure of Link.  Growing up, this was probably my favorite of the games I owned (even if I usually needed my Game Genie to beat it).  I enjoyed the first Legend of Zelda, too, but there was just something neat about being able to jump around and bounce on the heads of your enemies (once you learned Downward Thrust, which looked far cooler than that lame Upward Thrust).  Fighting Iron Knuckles was simultaneously frustrating and exciting, what with having to constantly duck and straighten to block their blows while also trying to get around their shield.  I understand many fans didn't like it because it was too different from the original, but it was still a really fun game.

(Also, you got to fight a guy with a horse-head.  I don't know why, but I always found this to be hilarious, and I wish he'd make a reappearance in the series.)

Dragon age II is my favourite Dragon Age, Fight me, I will admit the environments are repeated over and over but that never really bothered me. I personally loved the entire cast of of DAII which is something I can't say about any of the other games. Also I just liked the setting of Kirkwall, it was nice having basically one area that your character grows to become the most important person in that everyone recognises.

Also my favourite gen of pokemon is fourth and my favourite LoZ is Skyward Sword all of which are apparently heavily disliked

Edited by Mackc2

2 hours ago, Mackc2 said:

Also my favourite gen of pokemon is fourth and my favourite LoZ is Skyward Sword all of which are apparently heavily disliked

I rather enjoyed Skyward Sword, too!

I prefer using the Wii-mote motion controls for Mario Kart.  I know most people don't hate the game itself, but it does seem that the motion controls are pretty unpopular (at least among people I know).

Dark Souls 2

Mass Effect 3

Final Fantasy 8

Resident Evil 5

Obviously I'm taking kind of fringe examples, since each of these games were critically acclaimed, but they're very divisive, or downright hated in their respective fanbases.

On 2/2/2017 at 11:40 AM, Rapier said:

I actually like Megaman X6, even more than Megaman X5. Fake difficulty is still better than no difficulty at all.

The soundtrack...

Ground Scaravich, Blaze Heatnix, Commander Yammark and Infinity Mijinion's stages have pretty awesome stage music. Gate's is also good... The normal boss theme is like a fast-paced pursuit.

Edited by Frosty

On 19/03/2017 at 7:50 PM, Frosty said:

The soundtrack...

Ground Scaravich, Blaze Heatnix, Commander Yammark and Infinity Mijinion's stages have pretty awesome stage music. Gate's is also good... The normal boss theme is like a fast-paced pursuit.

X5's soundtrack is also really good, but I found X6 to fit more with the action-packed fast platformer premise. Disregarding that, I think they're tied. It's a shame that X6 couldn't have been worked for a longer period. It looked more genuine than X5 (which "stole" a lot from X4) and had a few interesting ideas, but ultimately became a bad game due to lack of time.

On topic, I feel like I'm the only one in my parts that likes the Aero Fighters and Strikers 1945 series... Shmups in general actually...

Whereas everyone else here in my town just keeps on blabbering about World of Tanks.

Edited by Frosty

EarthBound Beginnings/MOTHER 1 is one of my favorite JRPGs and video games in general of all time. It's also the game in the trilogy that most people suggest skipping over when starting out or just entirely. I'm sure this is partly because I must've played through it around ten times at this point from start to finish, but I find that, while it is grindy and occasionally frustrating, the game isn't nearly as bad as the nigh-unplayable slog people tend to make it out to be. I love the atmosphere and the story, and the game world is really huge and interesting for a NES game.

Also, the GBA port of Tales of Phantasia, while admittedly not super great, isn't that bad if you just turn off the voices. Full honesty; although "Claus" is a teensy bit of a departure from クラース, Cress Albane sounds way better and less silly than Cless Alvein.

Edited by Topaz Light

54 minutes ago, Topaz Light said:

EarthBound Beginnings/MOTHER 1 is one of my favorite JRPGs and video games in general of all time. It's also the game in the trilogy that most people suggest skipping over when starting out or just entirely. I'm sure this is partly because I must've played through it around ten times at this point from start to finish, but I find that, while it is grindy and occasionally frustrating, the game isn't nearly as bad as the nigh-unplayable slog people tend to make it out to be. I love the atmosphere and the story, and the game world is really huge and interesting for a NES game.

Also, the GBA port of Tales of Phantasia, while admittedly not super great, isn't that bad if you just turn off the voices. Full honesty; although "Claus" is a teensy bit of a departure from クラース, Cress Albane sounds way better and less silly than Cless Alvein.

I enjoyed Mother quite a lot too, though the game is so clearly unfinished, to a hilarious degree. It's unique blend of quirky atmosphere actually ended up making me feel very board with Earthbound even though it's  much more polished and expansive a game. Mother 1 kind of got their first for me so while capable, Earthbound just felt like a rehash.

Edited by Jotari

Glory of Heracles for the DS.

I don't know if this game was hated, but sorely under appreciated imo. I found the game very charming and the gameplay easy, especially after playing Golden Sun. Not to mention it's a unique take on Greek mythology. Albeit it did have some cliches, but it purposely wanted to be cliche. It also has some nods to other Nintendo games, especially Kid Icarus. Great game for beginner RPG players.