Super Emblem Bros. - Who is the best FE character in Smash ever?

voltimer

79 members have voted

1. 1. WHO IS THE BEST?

Corrin personally. His character and game aside, he is a very unique addition to the cast. He has a nice moveset, the dragon lunge gives an interesting mechanic and the dragon shot is a nice stun. His counter is probably the best of all the counters, and he turns into a dragon. Plus a chainsaw sword.

Unfortunately they lack any good taunts and win phrases.

Roy more iconic than Ike? Not really. Ike has had more exposure and more appearances in games worldwide, and also seems to be more popular given recent polls lately, like the Famitsu one.

I credit Marth and Roy for bringing FE to the west, but over the years, Ike's arguably become the second most iconic behind the tiara-wearing prince who started it all.

While I can definitely see and agree with where you're coming from in an FE perspective, from a purely Smash Bros one, given the fact that Melee, itself, is iconic enough that even over a decade later is still going strong as the "best Smash Game", naturally it would stand to reason that that indirectly makes the two icons by proxy of just for being in it. After all, once you take Smash out of the equation, would any of them still be considered icons by nintendo? Aside from Robin, Lucina and maybe Corrin, not likely.

Granted, I'm of the belief that its within Smash that Nintendo characters are inducted as icons - instead of the other way around -, unless you're either Mario, Pikachu, or a guest. It might require a different way of thinking (and idk where Shin lies upon this thought), but in the end, I don't think it really matters. I digress

Edited by Motendra

Why are people saying Marth is good all of a sudden? Before, everyone was going on about how bad he was. :/

It helps that earlier this month, MKLeo just went and beat 7 of the best Smash 4 players in the world (probably all top 20), including ZeRo, the absolute best Smash 4 player in the world. He used Marth for all but Dabuz and Komorikiri.

This isn't a reason why Marth is good, but rather evidence as to him being good, and also a reason why people now consider him to be very good.

EDIT: On the topic of being the best FE character, it's unquestionably Marth for any (meaningful) objective metric, for reasons listed above.

Edited by Euklyd

Literally the best answer to this thread

Why thank you haha, I do really like all 6 for different reasons and I feel they are a good representation of the entire franchise be it by era or by the consoles themselves.

Why thank you haha, I do really like all 6 for different reasons and I feel they are a good representation of the entire franchise be it by era or by the consoles themselves.

Jedi doesn't like Jugdral???? ヽ༼ ಠ益ಠ ༽ノ P I T C H F O R K S B O Y S ヽ༼ ಠ益ಠ ༽ノ

I feel like 3DS is overrepresented at the very least. Not that it's a huge problem for me, though.

I feel like 3DS is overrepresented at the very least. Not that it's a huge problem for me, though.

Probably overepped yeah, but its the hip thing at the moment, and Marth is kinda cheating since he reps NES/SNES/DS by himself haha.

I'd love to see Sigurd or Leif, but with 6 people I doubt it'll happen.

I'd love to see Sigurd or Leif, but with 6 people I doubt it'll happen.

[spoiler=never forget]YlfmVHv.png

I think it's kind of presumptuous for a (relatively) niche series to get a rep from every era/console anyway, but again, I don't actually really care. (Hell, even Pokemon doesn't have anything close to a character per generation.)

[spoiler=never forget]YlfmVHv.png

I think it's kind of presumptuous for a (relatively) niche series to get a rep from every era/console anyway, but again, I don't actually really care. (Hell, even Pokemon doesn't have anything close to a character per generation.)

Well, its just how it worked out, we got Marth for NES/SNES/DS, Roy for GBA, Ike for GC/Wii, Robin/Lucina/Corrin for 3DS.

Its kind of a miracle tbh.

I don't feel that way honestly. In the end, its one big advertising game, and Fates and Awakening are not only their most recent, but their best selling Fire Emblem games, and most well known Fire Emblem games. Of course they are going to get more representation and attention, because which is more likely for someone to buy? The old Fire Emblem for the NES/SNES that was never translated, the old Fire Emblem games on the Gameboy that are a pain in the ass to find, or Fates/Awakening which can be found at any store that sells video games and is on a current gen console?

At least with Pokémon most of the ones in game can be caught in any game, or at least traded/transferred to them. So any Pokémon is going to work for advertising that series. But Marth, Roy, and Ike? Not so much for Fates and Awakening.

Edited by Tolvir

Probably not Roy.

But, the best Fire Emblem character to match my style has to be Smash 4 Roy. Don't get me wrong I like playing Brawl and Melee Marth, but Smash 4 Roy has a certain kind of aggression I never knew I was missing out on from playing iterations of Marth. Legitimately this character has all the tools to succeed.

Literally all of Melee's Roy's biggest weaknesses, which led to his unviability have been fixed: Missing or terrible hitboxes, and crouch cancelling.

So, he's the most improved Smash character I guess!

Don't sleep on him though. He has to be like a Top 10 Hardest character to play, due to how much knowledge, dedication, and practice you need to have success with him. However, at his ceiling he'll be very threatening. The issue is if we'll ever reach there due to a lack of a large playerbase, and limited meta development. With what we've discovered with him already, he can do a psuedo-wavedash forward due to his really weird walk properties.

I don't know. Best character is probably Marth due to his dominance in Melee. Worse is arguably Roy because of Melee. However, Ike is objectively worse in Smash 4, because of poor Out of Shield options, 7 frame jumpsquat, and lack of speed hurts against characters who can out frame him or specialize in long-range poking.

Idk I wanted to spout and fanboy over Roy in this post. Roy's Our Boy. Really want to push this character to what he really is. A solid mid-tier (or Top 20 if you're a Roy main lol).

shhh jiac stop being cancer

marth is the best fe swordsman in all the games he's in... it's not even a question...

It certainly was one before he got buffed in 4, where we rotated best FE character constantly.

At first it was Robin, then it was Ike (after his buffs), then Marcina got slight buffs but Ike, Robin still got more results, then Roy came around and people were arguing that he was the best FE character at launch (he steadily dropped after that but is now rising again), then Robin was still getting results via Dath (and still semi is), Ike was going decently strong, then suddenly Corrin released and everyone swore he/she was the best, but then Marth players finally broke ground and proved that he is probably the potential best FE swordie again, alongside Lucina of course because they aren't all that different at their core.

Right now its looking like Marcina>Corrin>Robin=Roy>Ike potentially. After all the long debates, and tournaments, so you are right, but it wasn't always the case.

Edited by Jedi The Red

Current tier listing goes Corrin (18) > Marth (19) > Robin (31) > Ike (35) > Lucina (36) > Roy (50); highly subject to change.

Roy may be G-tier and arguably the worst FE character in the current SSB4 tier list, but he's a lot of fun to play as with his flashy fire effects, nice speed, and hilarious power (so many different kill moves)!

Marth's also fun to play as thanks to his tipper mechanic. My vote went to Marth mainly because he has the most appearances in Smash Bros. out of all of the Fire Emblem characters (3 Smash Bros. games so far, whereas Roy and Ike each only have 2 appearances so far) and has become viable in all of his appearances in Smash Bros. (he initially sucked in SSB4 but patches fixed him up).

Edited by Roflolxp54

• 2 weeks later...

Marth is a beast in Melee; some consider him to be on par with Fox in terms of potential. His disjointed hitboxes, amazing dashdance, huge grab range, and solid speed/decent recovery give him a lot of tools to succeed. It's scary to be cornered at the ledge by a skilled Marth as he's one of the best edgeguarders in the game.

I can't speak for Smash 4 as I rarely play it, but he seems pretty good in that one from the results I've seen. Gotta vote Marth

• 3 weeks later...

Competitively, it's probably Marth. If I'm going by favorites, however, then Ike. 

I play Ike because I like the character and that I could not perform any better with the other FE characters. The main draw of his gameplay, for me, would definitely have to be fact that his effectiveness depends largely on the player's fundamentals. Many of his attacks also have surprising amounts of utility, considering his weight class. 

His D-throw alone, for instance, can link with any of his five aerials for a true combo at low percent, and can even set up for a footstool combo. It can true combo into U-smash as well on certain characters. 

Ike's range with Ragnell is an asset, especially with F-air. That move has got to be one of, if not the most buffed attack in the game. In the 3DS version, the move was inferior to SSBB Ike's F-air in every aspect, except for start-up. The swinging animation was made faster in version 1.0.4 and it was also given auto-cancel properties.; version 1.0.8. increased its hitbox to now match its sword trail and also decreased its landing lag by 1 frame; and finally, version 1.1.4. increased its damage output to 13% and its range was made to reach as far as Shulk's F-air. With the exception of range, everything about Ike's F-air in SSB4 is now better than his F-air in SSBB. It came a really long way!

The only move Ike has that I consider to be outright useless is D-smash. It may be his fastest smash attack, but it is overshadowed by his U-smash in almost every other category. If only the knockback trajectories of this move were more horizontal, similar to the second hit of Link's D-smash. 

Top tier, bottom tier, it matters not. Ike is my go-to character in both smash games.  

^-^