First, let's see his Growth Rates...

HP: 55%

Magic:60%

Skill:50%

Speed:40%

Luck:20%

Def:10%

Res:60%

Hm... These are pretty good growth rates, but VERY bad in Luck and Defense... He also gains a C rank on staves upon promotion...

So, is he overpowered?

My answer to that is, yes and no, it depends on how you use him, I personally prefer using Lucius as a Magic Tank or a Physic Bot for my other units... His low defense makes him almost unusable for attacking at melee range, but since he has extremely high magic, he can easily heal units that can be his meat shield... So yes, IN MY OPINION, Lucius IS overpowered, unless you get unlucky...

I'll be happy to hear your opinions as well, have a good day everyone...

If Lucius can be considered OP, then so can a good deal of the cast...

In layman's terms, I disagree.

He has the biggest potential as one of the best magic users in the game, Yes, Hector, Oswin and pretty much everyone except the Prepromotes have big potential to become the MVP of the whole play through...

Keep in mind that I respect your opinion though...

He has the biggest potential as one of the best magic users in the game, Yes, Hector, Oswin and pretty much everyone except the Prepromotes have big potential to become the MVP of the whole play through...

Keep in mind that I respect your opinion though...

As I see it, Lucius has rock-bottom durability, which is to be expected for a mage, but it's still disqualifying. You want an OP mage? Pent is your man.

As I see it, Lucius has rock-bottom durability, which is to be expected for a mage, but it's still disqualifying. You want an OP mage? Pent is your man.

I'm biased to using Lucius in my playthroughs, Pent just ends up as a replacement for Serra or Erk... Speaking of Erk, I find his growths more evenly distributed than of Lucius'... But when RNG decides to be a dick to Erk, Lucius is an easy replacement, same goes for Pent, but again, I don't really like using prepromotes...

This is my Lucius for my current playthrough... Good for offense, bad for defense... (Yes, he died once, that was like in Chapter 15 Hector Mode when the boss sniped him(Did not notice the long bow :P))

post-27243-0-08000500-1483111634_thumb.png

Edited by MageSons

His high Resistance makes it clear he's designed to be an anti-mage unit, which is why his Magic is high as well, so he can ORKO mages through their buffed Resistance. Naturally, this also makes his offense good against units with lower Resistance as well. However, Lucius is a glass cannon, and will always be 2HKO'd by anything that attacks his Defense. Unfortunately for him, there are far more physical enemies on most maps than magical ones, making that niche not useful very often, and he can't take much enemy phase action (where the majority of combat happens) with his awful durability. His Luck also being terrible means that he can't even be a good dodge-tank because the hit rates on him are simply too high to rely on.

He's basically a super-Archer with the added utility of being really good with Staves, which is useful, but not overpowered in the slightest. If you want an overpowered unit in FE7, look no farther than Marcus or Pent.

Erk, Canas and Lucius are all around the same in terms of usefulness overall.

Canas has the best bases (upon joining) for the lowest payoff (Luna shenanigans aside). Mostly due to speed.

Lucius is a bit weak on joining but has the highest payoff with an instant C in Staves.

Erk has the most availability but middling payoff.

That said, FE7's scaling and lategame isn't all that impressive, so pay off doesn't mean too much (hence why Nino's potential is pointless). But all of them are decent nonetheless.

I'm not sure how you can argue Canas has the best bases upon joining when he joins last and with only 7 AS. Maybe if you skip Lyn Mode, but otherwise, definitely not.

Lucius isn't overpowered due to the durability (and the low might of light tomes reining in his Mag stat some), but I do like him overall and he is quite good at what he does, high range 2 offence. The archers only wish they could compare, Lucius is even better than them at killing wyverns.

I'm not sure how you can argue Canas has the best bases upon joining when he joins last and with only 7 AS. Maybe if you skip Lyn Mode, but otherwise, definitely not.

17 dmg vs. Lucius' 11 dmg (with same join time). A 4 RES enemy means they do the same damage if Lucius is doubling. Canas much more if Lucius isn't (anything more than 6 AS). And for what it's worth, Canas is guaranteed to survive a hit.

Erk has the worst start out of the three but he does have availability (at the cost of investment). Canas has low investment and can promote early for extra AS + staff utility for whatever that is worth.

Granted, I'd probably put Canas below the other two overall but it's pretty close.

Edited by DLuna

That was the joke c:

Get a better sense of humour c:

Most ratings are done under the assumption that Lyn Mode is skipped. Yeah, Canas has the worst AS starting out, but 7AS isn't that bad and with a few levels (not sure how many this is, I usually promote at 15 though) and those promotion gains, he basically can double most relevant things forever. Additionally, he also has the best potential as a warper, having one of (if not the) highest magic cap in the game.

Technically any unit on FE can be OP if you make it work well. For instance, I can make Dorcas an OP unit by Ch. 17 or something with that huge hp, high str and ok defenses, and above all, the enemies in FE7, it wrecks everything.

Regarding Lucius, I always use him and I've found little trouble on him despite his durability issues. I just don't throw him at high hit units like Heroes and Swordmasters, but mostly whiffing units like knights, wyverns, fighters, cavaliers, etc. His high Spd will make him able to dodge tank these units without much of an issue, even in EHM and HHM, to some extent. He'll hit really hard and the best is to secure him at a fort or forest tile to exploit that potential.

And to top it off, Lucius' affinity doesn't give evasion or crit evasion.

Lucius is meant to nuke things without taking too many hits, and he definitely rips dark magic users a new one! As long as he's not the target of every last ballista, he'll be fine. Due to the lack of durability, I wouldn't say he's OP. That title belongs to Pent (if we're talking mages).

Edited by eggclipse

Lucius has shit luck though, so he's not as good at dodgetanking as he should be.

Well he's not levels of dodge tanking like Serra or Priscilla, but he's still quite viable as it, imo. 20Sp and 10 Lck with the 2 Goddess Icon you get throughout the game are fine to begin dodge tanking. Besides, enemies aren't FE10 level of hard ~

For those that argue lucius appearing before canas as a big deal

Canas joins on basically turn1 of Port of Badon. Lucius joining towards the very end of the chapter right before Canas might score a couple of hits, or a level with intense babying (since likely the entire bottom and midsection enemies are wiped, and he could spend 3 turns walking towards the Shaman stairs and plod his way to exp there...the only reasonable place he can train outside of maybe finishing off one of the nomads or the knight by the northmost chest)

Canas is in the most minimal way losing out on availability over Lucius

Edited by Elieson

Even if you count Lyn mode, he's got, what, the last 5 chapters? And despite that, there are going to be a lot of units crowding for experience, while he has only one tome until the last chapter. So he has 35 attacks total for most of Lyn mode. The only way he'll get a ton of experience is some SERIOUS preferential treatment, as his attack isn't much to start, and he'll not be doing 1 hit kills for a while.

It's not that he can't be good, it's that he does have thing holding him from being amazing.