Lucius... Overpowered?

MageSons

The strengths of one unit can usually compensate for the weaknesses of another. I don't think any unit qualifies as "overpowered" unless it has no weaknesses, and doesn't need help from any other unit.

On that point, Lucius absolutely isn't overpowered; his Avoid and Defense are both below average, meaning that he couldn't survive without some help from others who have above-average Avoid and/or Defense.

Not OP, but definetely one of my favourite units and one of the better ones in general.
He's great as a anti-mage unit, kills off low Res units and works as a decent healer later on too. If you're into glass canons, look no further. Also his skill is pretty good, which makes him even more reliable. It's a shame that light magic has no Luna counterpart.

Most ratings are done under the assumption that Lyn Mode is skipped.

It isn't even possible to skip Lyn Mode on a fresh file, and there's little incentive to do it even when you can since it improves several units, gives you a white gem, etc. I strongly disagree with this assumption.

Even if you count Lyn mode, he's got, what, the last 5 chapters? And despite that, there are going to be a lot of units crowding for experience, while he has only one tome until the last chapter. So he has 35 attacks total for most of Lyn mode. The only way he'll get a ton of experience is some SERIOUS preferential treatment, as his attack isn't much to start, and he'll not be doing 1 hit kills for a while.

It's not that he can't be good, it's that he does have thing holding him from being amazing.

Lucius has 11 atk and 10 speed. You're seriously overrating Lyn Mode enemies: most non-mage non-bosses have 0 or 1 res and less than 20 HP, so Lucius does ORKO them. They're all Level 1-2 (a few hit Level 3 in the last two maps only), so check out this page to pretty much see their stats. As you can see he one-rounds archers, brigands, cavaliers, and soldiers, at minimum. Everything else he at least solidly 2RKOs, with high accuracy, which is generally as well as anyone else does (many units miss 2HKOs due to def being higher than res this early, and stronger units like Sain and Dorcas can have issues doubling). He contributes just fine. I'm not even proposing we favour him; just giving him his "share" of the available kills should give him at least 3 levels in 5 maps, which gets him to 13 atk / 11 AS or so, which looks a lot better than Canas' 17 atk / 7 AS to me.

Even though I do like Lucius, I usually prefer to use Erk and Pent. Main reason is that he comes a few chapters after Erk and is weighted down by most of his light tomes. For what I remember is that Anima magic is a little more accurate too. Extra crit from light magic never really made a difference to me. Lucius should be thankful that there isn't any Wind tome in this game.

Lucius is hella good unit, but OP he is not. Hes far too squishy, he may actually need a Goddess Icon to properly dodge shit cuz his luck is beans, and he doesnt fly. Is he one of the better magic users in the game? Oh yeah. He even benefits from early promotion because dat staff rank upon promotion. But theres just no way hes super OP. Hes just good at what he does. Smush things with a Shine spell and heal junk.

Even though I do like Lucius, I usually prefer to use Erk and Pent. Main reason is that he comes a few chapters after Erk and is weighted down by most of his light tomes. For what I remember is that Anima magic is a little more accurate too. Extra crit from light magic never really made a difference to me. Lucius should be thankful that there isn't any Wind tome in this game.

Actually, Light is the most accurate magic in the game, Dark being the least (although Luna stands out). I don't see that much of an issue with Lucius being weighted by Shine or above, because he never really need them. With his high magic and low enemy res, Lightning is enough to carry him throughout all the game.

His uses in Endgame are really limited because he relies only on player phase because Aura, Luce and Aureola have silly weight, so the best he can do is either pull a Crt (which is fairly easy) and use high rank staves ~

Edited by Quintessence

Lucius is hardly overpowered. Hes a typical glass cannon mage. Very useful with the right setup but far from OP.

A real OP character is Milady, where you can clear whole maps with just her even on HM. Heck, in the last open map before going into the final temple and on HM, I had Milady asleep and surrounded by dragon riders, some with killer weapons and they still couldn't kill her. Once I eliminated the mages that were casting sleep, or more like they ran out of charges, Milady proceeded to slaughter all those dragon riders.

Now, thats what it means to be OP. lol