So what is your game of the year 2016?

Locke087

Just basically what is your favorite game you played this year, and what was your favorite game you played this year that actually came out this year, assuming they are not one and the same.

The best game I played this year was probably the Witcher 3: The story, characters, exploration, the engaging side quests this game is so good, and the strangest thing is it's biggest problems is perhaps a bit too long and has too much worthwhile content (if that can be a thing), so it can feel a little overbearing. Like it's crazy how much work goes into even the tiniest side quests in this game like even those random little chest you find in the overworld have sometimes entire story is attached to them it's insane. This game also really takes in your choices as well like it changes a ton depend you want on what you do and the really commendable how much does it. It's combat is not the greatest but if it's entertaining enough and definitely doesn't drag down the game too much, everything else is just so incredible and the combat is a good vehicle to the management areas of the game.

As for my game of the year that actually came out this year, if I'm cheating I would give it to Dishonored 2 as I have not finished it ( i'm like halfway though the fourth mission right now) but I was having so much fun with it over the past couple days, the gameplay is just thoroughly engaging as is the world much like the highly underrated first game. But it if I don't cheat and have a game that I have at least finished I would give it to... in all honesty it's a bit of a tossup between Last Guardian, Uncharted 4, and FE Fates: Conquest, I want to give it to Last Guardian but I don't feel right giving it to it in its current state, so I'll give it to Uncharted 4, Conquest was fun but the story, characters and world where problems, Uncharted 4 was thoroughly great and even if it's not the strongest in the gameplay front, it is a marked improvement from the previous games in the series and tied a very great and neat bow over the whole series.

Edited by Locke087

If I can be completely, 100% honest? Final Fantasy XV. It has a lot of things I love in a game, with extremely relateable characters. This may sound obvious but in Final Fantasy the characters felt more distant to me, I guess. I couldn't see myself in their shoes. However, I can relate to Noctis a lot. The score is... it's a Final Fantasy game. It's also one of those games where the English dub tramples all over the original Japanese version. The only real problems is the ending, there's a particular character I don't like, there's some annoying random occurrences (IMPERIALS ABOVE YOU), and around endgame the story itself kind of lags.

That being said for a game that's been in development this long, it came out as probably one of the best Final Fantasy games I've ever played.

(If you want to see my personal GOTY, just scroll down. It's under spoiler tags.)

I'm going to be making this list with a "one per franchise" rule in mind. Starting from number five:

3HYMDkT.png

Titanfall 2

The big surprise for my top 5 list. I'm not your typical dudebro Western FPS player--in fact, a lot of multiplayer-focused FPSs turn me off completely due to their competitive nature and lackluster singleplayer content. Thinking that this game was going to be another one of those games (Titanfall 1 had really poor singleplayer content), I was not interested in this game leading up to its release. However, when the game released, I saw a lot of comments saying that the game was, in fact, really good--both from a singleplayer and a multiplayer perspective, although fans of the multiplayer in the first game were a bit divided on how Titanfall 2 handled it. So I decided on giving the game a go.

And oh boy, I'm glad I did.

Titanfall 1 was criticised heavily in the singleplayer department because its "campaign" was basically offline multilplayer with a bad excuse for a story plastered on it. Respawn, the developers, took this to heart when they developed Titanfall 2, and proceeded to make one of the best campaigns an FPS game has had in recent years. It's no Doom, but it's close enough. You've got a living, breathing world with lore and wildlife, astounding gameplay elements that make the campaign a joy to play through, likeable characters (BT, your Titan, plays off the main character really well, and the two have a good dynamic together), and easy-to-miss collectables that encourages replayability. Which is great, since the campaign is roughly 6-8 hours long, depending on difficulty. You can unlock various load-outs for the Titan, which gives you a taste of how each Titan weapon works. The campaign is great to get accustomed to the Titan load-outs you're going to be using in the multiplayer. The campaign is seriously fantastic.

As for the multiplayer, Respawn made it obvious they've got the emphasis on speed: in this game, you can slide on the floor and run/jump of walls, which when done correctly, increases your character movement speed. This is important, as being slow in the multiplayer is a big disadvantage, especially when it comes to avoiding enemy Titans. Now, the weakest point about the multiplayer are the maps. They're a bit bland, and there's nothing unique about any of them. They're serviceable, but not great. Which is a shame, since from what I've heard, Titanfall 1 had really stellar map design. But even so, running up on walls and jumping off advertisement boards looks and feels great.

FMRw3dB.png

Xanadu Next

So, I'm going to presume the majority of you know what Diablo is. So imagine that game, make it a 20-hour singleplayer experience, give it some interesting lore, some really good dungeon music, and viola, you have Xanadu Next. Now storytelling takes a backseat this game--it's still there, and it works--but the emphasis is on exploration and combat. This stat-heavy action RPG has Sir Brave Knight, the main protagonist, explore various dungeons and fields in order to find an entrance to Castle Stangerock, a mysterious castle that only appears when the lake next to the village of Harlech finds itself shrouded in fog. Along the way, you'll be picking up tablets and memoirs of people written from an age past, detailing the history of a place called Xanadu.

What makes this game fantastic is how responsive and engaging the combat is; you've got your standard physical attacks, and then you have special physical skills and magic spells, allowing you to play in various ways. Positioning is also important--attacking an enemy from behind is a guaranteed hit and deals more damage, while attacking from the front makes your attacks weaker and more often to miss. Figuring out how to avoid enemy attacks while trying to attack them in turn is fun, especially when the odds are heavily stacked against you. What's also great is the lack of grinding in this game. Okay, so you're doing 1 point of damage against this boss? Or maybe you're taking too much damage from basic attacks? Go back, reconfigure your stats, try on some new equipment, reorganise your skills, and try again. You may find yourself in a much better situation than you were before.

To a lot of people, this game is the sleeper GOTY. And I don't question that at all.

y3DTJNw.png

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

One of the more controversial games of 2016, #FE comes out and cements itself as one of, if not the best Wii U game of 2016. #FE doesn't mess around; within 15 minutes of booting up the game, you're already in the Idolasphere, making your way towards the captive that took Tsubasa. The plot kicks off immediately, and the game doesn't really stop, outside of the intermissions of each chapter (which you can ignore entirely, if you want). Now, the actual plot itself is questionable, but the game is incredibly self-aware and likes to ramp up the silliness in order to make the overall experience an enjoyable. The writing for anything that isn't tied to the main plot is also great and humorous. It's just a shame there's no English dub to deliver these entertaining lines even better. My only quarrel with the writing is the inaccuracy of the enemy Mirages, but I won't go into that as it is technically spoilers.

But the writing isn't what makes this game great. No, it's the presentation and gameplay. You've got the absolutely amazing vocal tracks, which is the main selling point of the game, but you've also got some stellar battle themes, too. Admittedly, the background tracks for the game aren't really all memorable. The visual presentation is bit divisive: some argue the stylistic choice makes the game look ugly, whilst some say the colourful and poppy single-shade colours complement the game well. I'm on the fence on this matter personally, but I do think the game is at least vibrant. Now, this being an Atlus-made JRPG, there's some sort of mechanic to go with the combat, and it's called Session. This Session mechanic is, in my opinion, the best battle mechanic Atlus have ever made for one of their JRPGs. It's a great way to get your non-active characters involved in the combat. It's just a shame you can't skip 'em, as they get can really long.

This game and Xanadu Next could easily be swapped around in my GOTY list, but I'm giving the edge to #FE since I'm a fan of the characters. Mostly.

AOCSb8r.png

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest

Now, before anyone says anything, two things I need to say:

1. #FE is not a mainline FE game. It's also differs heavily when it comes to the gameplay. These two reasons are why it rests on this list with Conquest.
  2. If I had to include Birthright and Revelation into this fold, then Fates wouldn't be on this list; Revelation is the worst FE game I've ever played and the worst game I've played this year, and Birthright, while better, still isn't fantastic. This is why I've separated them.

Outside of the writing, Conquest is, simply put, amazing. From a gameplay perspective, it's probably the best game I've played since... I don't know, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. It's tight, balanced, responsive, brutal but fair, and just an overall joy to play. The map design is some of the best in the franchise, and the fundamentals of the gameplay is refined to a point I personally think it's hard to top without making some big changes. This is the only game in recent memory I've replayed half a dozen times purely because of how much I enjoy playing it. I really cannot stress how much I love the gameplay in Conquest.

Presentation is also fantastic, and this goes for all the Fates games. The music is mind-blowing, the sound effects are good, the English dub works (mostly); graphically, the game is gorgeous. the character designs are great (mostly), and the maps are interesting to look at and are diverse. This game, aesthetically, rocks. Out of the three, Conquest is my favourite, because the old European-style music just clicks with me.

Even with the game's awful writing, I can't ignore how great a game Conquest is. But even if the writing was superb, there was simply no way it was beating my personal GOTY...

WxSwaS4.png

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

Yes, this game came out in 2016 for Europe. Yes, I've completed Trails of Cold Steel 2. And yes, I prefer the first game to the second. And I'm not sorry.

It almost feels cheating having two Falcom games on here. But that just goes to show how spectacular Falcom are as game developers.

Let's get the bad out of the way: graphically, this game is pants. From an animation standpoint, this game is pants. The main cast of characters, being confined to school uniform, makes their designs pants. I mean, it's not terrible, but it's bit uninspired and bland. Rean Schwarzer, the main protagonist, is considered by many to be a Light Novel protagonist (think: Robin from Awakening), meaning he, too, is pants. But I think that's personally a bit unfair, since he does shine now and then. The game's pacing can also be compared to an oscilloscope wave. Doesn't bother me personally, since I think it works with the school theme, but it is something to note.

That's the bad out of the way. Let's get to the good.

Absolutely superb writing and character development; the game's plot is incredibly engaging, the characters and character interaction is on point, the lore is amazing, and the antagonists are great. The dub work helps immensely, too. It isn't fantastic by any means, but it works for whatever atmosphere they need to hit. Like Conquest and gameplay, Cold Steel nails it with the writing.

The presentation is great, for the most part. I said earlier that aesthetically the game doesn't shine, but it does everywhere else. Music is varied, fitting for the occasion, and is incredibly pleasant to the ear. Sound effects are good, for the most part.

Gameplay is incredibly satisfying. It's fast, responsive, and relies on positioning. However, the game is quite easy to break later on, reducing difficulty by a lot. But even so, boss battles and dangerous and threatening. If you're playing on Hard or Nightmare, expect enemy S-Crafts to kill everyone. Or at least severely wound you.

I spent almost 100 hours into this game, and I loved every moment of it. If you consider yourself a fan of JRPGs, you owe it to yourself to play this game. It's a damn treat.

EDIT: Fixed some typos.

Edited by Blusis

The 2016 games I played this year in 2016 are Fire Emblem Birthright, Zero Time Dilemma, Final Fantasy XV, and The Last Guardian.

Of those, I enjoyed Final Fantasy XV best. I loved learning about the characters during combat and through side-quests. The writers did a great job of making me care about them. I also think the ending was strong (though a bit... swift). Chapter 13 was brilliant, though I've not found many people who agree with me. I needed a couple days' breather after beating the game before I was emotionally prepared to jump into the post-game content, but the extra dungeons and hunts have since kept me hooked. I also think it's great there were so many language options on the disc; though unlike Ebony I preferred the Japanese dub, or rather I was put off by the English localization. Anyways, I've been enjoying the hell out of this game.

I spent most of 2016 studying so I couldn't play much else. The only other games I played are To The Moon and LittleBigPlanet 3. Neither outshone FFXV for me. I might have more time next year though. We have Witcher 3 on the shelf, and I'd like to give FFXIV or the new Dark Souls a go, among other games.

I've got to say my favorite and best game I played in 2016 is one and the same, and the award goes to Tokyo Mirage Session #FE

I've got to say that this is one game that to me, felt like pretty awkward from the outside, but when you "open the chest" I literally found out an amazing and beautiful game.

Regarding its story, narrative and such, while it isn't hot, it's similar to FE standards. However, the interaction with characters and their side quests are pretty good, they help each character grow from their base personality.

Regarding its visuals and music, they are one of the strongest point of the game. Its visuals are gorgeous, vivid, full of vibrant colors, the animations and performances of each character are cool, cute and professional.

The music is one of the main veins of the game, its soundtrack is strong and good, specially songs performed by the artists. The battle themes are awesome too, specially the special bosses. While the dungeon music isn't spectacular, it is decent.

The gameplay is its best selling point, turns and rounds full of strategy, the battle system is pretty consistent and well done.

I thought this was going to be a weak gaming year on Nintendo's regard, but this game was a pearl for the time.

Favorite game I played - Meteos for the DS.

Maybe it was because I didn't have much time for games this year, but I ended up playing a lot of short games. I also buckled down and unlocked everything, and then I tried to score attack every single planet. I really appreciated it as a puzzle game, since while it the gameplay is technically consistent, all the planet's in the game have their own physics, with some rewarding vertical lines more than horizontal, others being floaty, and still others holding the blocks in place unless you got a chain.

The speed up function helped for someone like me, since it let me play the game at my preferred pace, and let me get to the intense part of the game faster. I also really liked that every planet had its own music. Much better than the typical ambiance of other games of this type.

Favorite game released this year - Stephen's Sausage Roll

I had actually bought the developer's previous game, English Country Tune back in December 2012. I don't remember WHY. But I remember enjoying it. After I finished, I posted a screenshot of the victory screen and the dev actually commented on it. I liked how hard the game was relative to other puzzle games I had been playing. Of course, I saw the cryptic sausage on his website, but I didn't think much of it. Later the game would become a critical darling- But I would not buy it just because other people liked it- I saw people debating about the price- In my opinion, it was a charming callback to when indies thought of themselves as the same as other third parties- I only knew one other indie who sold games at "release price" and it triggered memories of the snes and n64 where I might have my parents buy a game every 4 months, and would somehow make it fill that time. I admit this was a little ridiculous and nostalgic, but oh well. I only decided to buy the game after finally getting through lemmings-- while playing lemmings I encountered a lot of things I did not expect- puzzles could be designed that taught you how to do something, and then the same map would come up again, but the tools you used the first time would be taken away(like the columns level). It was so bizzare- It was like the game was teaching me things and then unteaching me. I did not expect it at all. I call games like The Talos Principle good, but they never did anything like this. And LEMMINGS of all things- I had always known it was a nice game and worthy of its classic status, but apparently I only ever remembered up to level 40 or something- I never suspected it to have that kind of depth(at least in it's second half). And now here was Stephen's Sausage Roll- I became fixated on the idea that this game would share the design philosophy of Lemmings And after playing it, I can say that in many ways it does.

Edited by Reality

I played four games from 2016: All three parts of Fire Emblem Fates and Tales of Berseria

Even if Conquest was a better FE game after a while and Berseria wasn't my favorite part of this series for sure, I still say Berseria because I still love the Tales of series more and this game goes back to older parts. The gameplay wasn't perfect, but it much better than Zestiria's.

Hmm, this is a tough choice.

The three to pick from for me would definitely be these:

FE: Fates Birthright, for the decent story and fun characters, plus some improved gameplay from its predecessor, Awakening. Map design and gameplay could still be a little better, and of course I've repeatedly complained about the implementation of marriage and kids and the designs of some Nohr characters (not to mention a certain cutscene in this path...), but overall the game is totally awesome.

Paper Mario: Color Splash, for its fun paint mechanic (I'm a person that loves to color, so I had a blast coloring the colorless areas lol), amazing and amusing writing, and just generally awesome gameplay. It's not too hard, but not too easy either. The only glaring flaw is generic Toad overload and a lack of more unique-looking NPCs, really. Having to rescue Peach from Bowser for the gazillionth time is also repetitive and rather boring and all, but somehow it didn't bother me as much as the gazillion generic Toads...

Pokemon Sun, for giving us a fresh look at a Pokemon adventure with the trial system replacing gyms and the many fantastic new Pokemon. It also has a good story. I feel the postgame is lacking and that if I didn't think a Pokemon design was great, it was honestly downright horrible, but besides these, the game rocks. ^^

It's a close battle here, all of these have qualities that make them GOTY worthy, imo. It's not a landslide for any of them like it was for Yoshi's Woolly World when I picked it last year. But I think I have to give it to...

Paper Mario: Color Splash!

Yes, the game that everyone feared would be just like its hated predecessor, Sticker Star. But I had faith, and IS delivered here big time for me. In addition to what I mentioned about it above, there's just something about the game that juuust edges it over the rest for me. Maybe it's the clever way they implemented Luigi in the end since he's one of my all time favorite video game characters (THE DEATH STARE REFERENCE, MAN!), or maybe it's the simple, yet charming story and the color aspect, I dunno. It's probably a little bit of all of these. :P

Really, Paper Mario fans, I know it still lacks those partner characters and stuff that you loved so much. But when you don't compare it to TTYD or the original Paper Mario or even SPM, it's a completely fantastic game in its own right and it still has the clever and humorous writing this series has been known for. I laughed as much as I did playing SPM, seriously. And I will NEVER get over that Luigi death stare reference! NEVER. I think other PM fans should at least give this one a chance. Even critics said that while it does borrow things from Sticker Star, it actually does those things right this time and that they enjoyed it!

Edited by Anacybele

I only played all three paths of Fates, TMS#FE, Project X Zone 2, the LoZ TP HD and SMT IV Apocalypse and I haven't played much of the last one. Of the ones I beat I would say TMS#FE takes first place for being very different then what I thought it would be and for being really fun because of that, but I really enjoyed playing all the games I bought in 2016.

Edited by EricaofRenais

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

This is an absolutely fantastic follow up to FC, and just expands even more on the amazing lore, characters and world that the games inhabit, although I really need to start playing other Trails games like Cold Steel and such.

I can't say much for Second Chapter because it contains so many spoilers post First Chapter and i'd hate to rob people of that.

For games that I've played but are not of this year, I say Final Fantasy Tactics: the gameplay, while It has some balancement issues with some battles being a bit frustrating and the last part becoming a joke, It's really fun, mainly thanks to the "freedom" the game gives with the units, msking possible to do thing like a priest being able to use guns(don't ask me why, but this was the first thing that came up in my mind).

What I love about this game, however, are the story and the characters: I really enjoyed the political intrigues of the story and how It feels like a mostly human-conflict. The characters are also pretty good, with each one of them being characterized very well - especially Ramza, Delita and Wiegraf.

For games of this year, I say Fire Emblem: Fates: Conquest: yes, the story is bad, but I must say that It didn't ruin my enjoyment of the game. Plus I admit that I really liked the cast and the gameplay was so much fun.

I've debated over this one a lot because despite this being an overall good year for games, but nothing came out that matched the level of last year's The Witcher 3. Regardless of that, I'd really have to give it to Final Fantasy XV.

For a game that was 10+ years into it's development, it actually turned out a lot better than originally thought. You would figure that after all that time, the game would have came out very disjointed with a lot of jumbled together ideas and unused areas of the game (there are some, but not enough to worry about), but they final product is more than satisfactory. Sure, the story isn't that great, due to some of it not making any sense (probably because they wanted you to watch the movie too?) and it's nothing too groundbreaking or interesting, but I'll say it serves it's purpose, and it at least holds my attention for the most part. That's not where the game shines though. Not at all. Eschewing the usual linear formula of Final Fantasy, they take the more open-world route on this one and pull it off with flying colors. A lot of open-world games will try to take a "more is more" approach, meaning the bigger the world, the better, but the world in FFXV takes the approach of adding more interesting landmarks, areas, towns, etc. in turn for a smaller, but more lively, game world. The mix between the sort of obsessed-with-crystal fantasy stuff and the more... uh, american-like gas stations and rest stops is actually really cool.

The monster design is fantastic and varied enough for you to not get tired of them (except for the goddamn fucking soldier cunts that spawn EVERY FUCKING SECOND), plus the giant enemies are a blast to fight and actually have a sense of scale, something that a lot of RPGs don't usually pull off, to be honest. Encounters are a little scare, and though it's not that big of a deal, I still would have liked to see more monsters and wildlife out in the world. The combat in the game is, quite honestly, the best combat system I've ever seen in JRPGs. It moves so fluidly and fuck is it satisfying to pull off all kinds of crazy moves and techniques. It really looks like the extremely cinematic combat systems you seen in trailers, but actually in the game. It's just the most fun I've had with a combat system since Xenoblade. The characters in the game have been subject to some criticism, and sure, I can see why, but I thought they were endearing, in their own way. They're slightly cliche, but they're still interesting enough to actually care for them. Cliches exist for a reason, I guess. All the different talents were pretty cool to level up, even though I feel Prompto's is about the only one that you use most of the time, but hey, the photography shit in the game is great. I'm not sure how I feel about all the homoerotic tension in the game though lol. But, that's not what matters. What matters is that they nailed the road trip aesthetic that the game promised to have. You really feel the monotony of driving everywhere, getting gas, sleeping at inns or camping, but it's done so that, for the most part, you're having a lot of fun doing it. It's hard to explain.

There's a few downsides, like the mediocre story (patches are fixing that though), the fact that the car is a glorified loading screen or fast travel transition (don't get me wrong, I love it, but still), there's only two different outfits for the majority of the game (maybe more will come in DLC?), framerate is pretty bad (right now at least), pop-in isn't too bad, but it's still there, sidequests are still just boring sidequests most of the time, and the combat camera is pretty fucking shit, but that's just me. All in all, they delivered something that truly lives up to it's hype, comes together as a fairly cohesive game, and feels fairly modern for a pretty old game. I just don't think I've had more fun with a game than this one in 2016.

The only other game that might have been on here was Dishonored 2, but I haven't started that one yet, so I can't say it's my favorite.

Watch_Dogs 2 was a major improvement over the last game, but it still had it's issues. I had a lot of fun with Dark Souls 3, but it's not the most... innovative game in the series, but that's besides the point. Dark Souls doesn't have a bad game. Battlefield 1 is a fucking blast, but it just doesn't really feel like GotY material to me. New Fire Emblem was an improvement over Awakening, but I fucking hate the story and main character still. They're all good, just not Final Fantasy XV good.

Edit: fixed some wording, changed some sentences, etc.

Edited by Disinnocence

Of the games released this year...this one's a tough one, but I'm going to have to say Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. It's got a great story, fun and likable characters, an interesting battle system, and ton of skill options for Digimon to use. Close seconds are Pokemon Sun & Moon and Stardew Valley; the former was kept from the spot because it has a few serious flaws, and the latter definitely would have gotten the spot if "most hours spent playing it" was a criteria.

Of the games I beat this year, hands down The Wonderful 101. It is probably the most fun I've ever had playing a game, period. The graphics are amazing, the character designs are fantastic, the writing is hilarious, the bosses are some of the best in gaming ever, both in terms of scale and in terms of gameplay, and the gameplay itself is impeccable as most Platinum Games gameplay is. I really cannot stress enough how utterly fantastic this game is.

probably league of legends since i just got into it in april and it's a blast most of the time

for actual games that actually came out this year DOOM

My game of the year is definitely Uncharted 4. Not only was it a fantastic conclusion to one of my favorite franchises of all time, the controls were just as well designed as ever and the stealth created new ways to complete battles in ways that would have been hard or impossible to do in previous Uncharted games. It also helps that the writing and characters are really good just as always.

My 2016-released GOTY is either Kirby: Planet Robobot, or SteamWorld Heist. TBH, not many games that interested me came out this year.

Edited by Zera

Gotta be Fates: Conquest. That gameplay is crazy good.

Undertale challenges it for me as my other favourite game this year but that's not a 2016 game anyway. Nothing else is particularly close, Fates: Birthright is surely third for being basically a better Awakening, and I already liked Awakening.

I'm pretty sure FE: Conquest and Pokemon Sun are the only games I got that were released in 2016 :/

Everything else were just ROMS of older games...

Anyways, the best game is Conquest. Refer to Blusis' review, because everything he/she says is what I like about it

Except I thought the story was entertaining

Edited by Pixelman