What's A Good Name For A Mother Like Character?

Captain Karnage

So I'm working on my writings and I'm kinda iffy on one of my character's names

she's like a mother to the MC, she essentally raised him as his grandfather really didn't do much for the MC

any suggestions?

With Mother you mean uh, the Mother games? Well, Ness would be a fine name.

If you're referring to the maternal figure, then "Mother" or "Mom" will do.

And if you don't like calling her "Mom", then you could search some names on the Internet I suppose, there are a lot of pages for that.

Olga or Grendal comes to mind. Or does that sound too old lady-like for your particular mother character?

what do you guys think of Isadora?

Isadora sounds quite suitable. I mean, it doesn't particularly sound like the name of a young character, and brings to mind a woman in her mid-20s and early 40s.

what do you guys think of Isadora?

It's okay. Without knowing more about the character, it's hard to say an exact name that conforms to the character, so you'd know better than anyone how well it fits.

Although, Rachel is a perfect name for anything.

Isadora sounds quite suitable. I mean, it doesn't particularly sound like the name of a young character, and brings to mind a woman in her mid-20s and early 40s.

Hey, are you calling mid 20's to early 40's old? >:O Just kidding

Edited by Rezzy

With Mother you mean uh, the Mother games? Well, Ness would be a fine name.

If you're referring to the maternal figure, then "Mother" or "Mom" will do.

And if you don't like calling her "Mom", then you could search some names on the Internet I suppose, there are a lot of pages for that.

she's not his mother

Olga or Grendal comes to mind. Or does that sound too old lady-like for your particular mother character?

she's in her mid 30's (during the events of the story), she kinda took in the MC as his grandfather really didn't care for him all that well

It's okay. Without knowing more about the character, it's hard to say an exact name that conforms to the character, so you'd know better than anyone how well it fits.

Although, Rachel is a perfect name for anything.

well in the story 2 years prior to meeting Alm (the MC) her husband ran off in the middle of the night with her 6 year old son (this is before the main story begins)(so she's nearing her mid 20's)

during the events prior to the start of the story, Alm had gotten into trouble with the town guards she took responsability for the child she had only seen playing in the streets

she started taking care of him as he seemed neglected by his caregiver (his grandfather,)( who also had taught him to read and atempted to teach him magic)

Edited by Captain Karnage

What time period is this set in, or is it a straight fantasy story? If you have a time period/setting you could look up popular girls' names from ~30 years prior to the time period you're writing in for a good idea of what common mom names are going to be.

Isadora's a fine name although if the story is set in modern times, it's more of a grandmother than a mother name.

Rezzy's right, though, Rachel is a fine mom name ;)

What time period is this set in, or is it a straight fantasy story? If you have a time period/setting you could look up popular girls' names from ~30 years prior to the time period you're writing in for a good idea of what common mom names are going to be.

Isadora's a fine name although if the story is set in modern times, it's more of a grandmother than a mother name.

Rezzy's right, though, Rachel is a fine mom name ;)

it's a fantasy story

So, a "Mother Figure" type character? I tend to name my characters after I have a good grasp on their personality, so I'm just gonna throw a couple out.

I agree with someone that said Diane. It has a soft, warm feeling to it. Shannon and Monica are a couple other names that keep popping up in my mind at the thought of a "Mother" characters.

I also agree with searching on baby name sites and the like - they are essential in helping to name characters.

the best way I can describe her is that she's an Oifey

she joins Alm on his journey as she feels that he can't make it with what he has

she does join in on the fights Alm gets his group into

the best way I can describe her is that she's an Oifey

she joins Alm on his journey as she feels that he can't make it with what he has

she does join in on the fights Alm gets his group into

This just makes me want it to be Rachel even more, to be honest.

so I'm tied between Rachel and Isadora

To go with the earlier suggestion, in the 80's Rachel was a pretty popular name, but has faded recently, so most Rachels today are around their 30's, so that will bring to mind the age range you have in mind for the modern audience's mindset. Isodora has actually been peaking recently, so it conveys a much younger girl.

Edited by Rezzy

I think of Rachel when I think of moms of boys honestly, in one group I was in as a kid one of the moms had four boys and was really nice and her name was Rachel.

I think of Rachel when I think of moms of boys honestly, in one group I was in as a kid one of the moms had four boys and was really nice and her name was Rachel.

I have one son and one daughter, so far.

Rachel's a great name, but it really doesn't feel right for a fantasy setting. What name would be right would depend on the rest of the cast, IMO.

Rachel's a great name, but it really doesn't feel right for a fantasy setting. What name would be right would depend on the rest of the cast, IMO.

True it would depend on the other names of the setting, but it's not a "new" name, since it dates back to ancient Hebrew, so it has a bit of an ageless feel.

Tolkien had exotic names, but also used ones like Bill and Sam without them standing out too much.

the only reason I'm kind of leaning towards Isadora is that it kind of fits some of the other characters names, like

Alm, Lapis, Adsilla, and Karna

If you like it, by all means, go for it. Edited by Rezzy