The Starting Cavaliers of Mystery of the Emblem

Pizza Johns

What do you think of them? Any rankings? The best? The worst? Just post your thoughts.

I'll rank them.

3. Luke

2. Cecil

1. Rody.

Rody is the best by far in my opinion, his growths are well balanced for a well balanced class, and considering the huge amount of cavaliers you get, I'd say he's the third best.

Cecil is mediocre, she has a high base weapon level, being able to use Alan's silver lance at start, she's really fast and has no trouble hitting enemies, but has a bad strength and HP growth. She's still the 4th best cavalier and if you really want a 4th cavalier, she's your pick. Give her a silver sword or lance, at she'll be decent, just give her starshards that boost her HP and Strength growth, and maybe defense if you wanna go the extra mile.

Luke is the worst, he'll barely double anything with that 40% speed growth. And it's not like he makes up for it with his 30% strength growth. Sure, he has a 20% defense growth, ( Which is pretty high for FE3 standards, the max defense growth is 30% in that game)

but Sirius has higher. Is it even worth using starshards on him when you got better cavaliers to choose from?

I honestly think both Rody and Luke are pretty meh, and that Cecil is probably the best of the 3, but with Starshards you can fix any of them. (And in general anyone in FE3).

Although Arran and Sirius have more going for them in general. Its not too bad to focus on one of the 3, plus you get Cain near promo anyways when he arrives too. Although you might not want too many horses as there are a fair number of indoor chapters.

Edited by Jedi The Red

In my opinion they are all not worth training and should be ditched after chapter 5. Paladins aren't worth a whole lot in FE3 Book 2 and when you want one you have Sirius, Cain, and later Abel which can all do about the same work. Cecil has Lady sword access making her probably the best of them but she has a hard time getting it in her hands because it's almost always better on Palla, Catria, Sheeda, and Minerva. Midia also shows up around the end of the game and has good enough stats to where a trained Cecil would only offer marginal benefits.

They're alright but pretty uninspiring after the book 1 cavaliers were among the best characters in the entire game.

I'm kind of on board with Jedi on Cecil being the best. Her high speed base and growth means she'll be able to double with lances in no time and thus be way ahead of the cavaliers until at least mid game. Her bulk growth leaves a lot to be desired but decent bases/promo gains in the area along with orbs can help mitigate that. Meanwhile, nothing can be done to really boost early game performance.

Under my argument that it's difficult to replace a good early game, it shouldn't be too surprising that I think Luke is second best. Poor Luke gets a bad rap since his growths are nothing special, but 30% str 40% spd aren't the worst and his huge 90% HP growth more than makes up for his shortcomings in questionable stats like luck and skill. More importantly, his bases are solid enough, but his ability to double with lances is just going to come much later than Cecil's which no amount of HP growth can make up for.

Poor Rody just asks for so much and gives so little in return. His bases just leave him so far behind from the get-go, and by the time he's able to catch up to his comrades (~15-20 levels would be my guess), they're promoting and using orbs which keep any of his leads from mattering. Having better rounded and slightly better growths just isn't worth starting with deficits in str, spd, and def. He's still way better than a lot of the cast due to his class and join time but I probably wouldn't be happy with him outside of a draft or PMU.

Rody was the absolute worst for me, he couldn't double anything and had next to no strength. Luke was a little bit better, but only a little bit, and Cecille was probably the best of the three before I benched her for Sirius.

They honestly all kind of suck. I that personal experience doesn't amount to much in these kinds of conversations, but in both FE3 and 12 I could never do very much with them. Granted I didn't abuse the Star Shards so maybe that's my problem. Plus, you get the god that is Sirius, and Abel is a really solid prepromote. It's a shame you get him so late into the game.

The Star Shards are your friend in FE3 for growths and the low caps, in FE12 they are pretty nice for those static stat boosts too.

I'd advise always using them, even if you're using the broken units like Palla or Sirius, it makes your entire team a walking army of destruction and thats super fun in FE3.