Kenneth's Purge behavior

NOTchazbc24

Bought a used cart that happened to have EHM unlocked so I'm starting off with that. Let me just say I love this game, fantastic maps. I love that i can check on my ranking throughout the campaign- which is why i have decided to go for an S-rank my first playthrough.

anyway, my question. Does anyone know what trigger's Kenneth to start using purge? i got up to the treasure room thinking he wasn't going pop off since i had been within range for several turns, but nope- he killed Hector with a resounding 25 damage.

Also, if anybody could give me some tips for dealing with him that would be great. I'm not really concerned about getting his purge.

Are you sure you were standing in his range before? If you click on him the game will show you his range including the movement of the character. The range you'll be shown is his Maximum range with purge if he would move his 6 spaces, but as he is a boss and thus does not move, he will only be able to fire as far as his tome allows him to (Unlike later FE Games, GBA FEs do not show "0 MOV" on characters that do not move). If you display his range you have to subtract 6 tiles (that's what his MOV is) and then you will get his actual range with purge. Or you just count the tiles by starting on Kenneth and then moving 10 tiles. The AI in FE 7 isn't really complex so I assume that this is the reason.

As for dealing with him... just put an anima mage (preferably with high RES) into his range and let him soak his tome up. Once he has no Purge left go in and Attack. Or you rush in with another high RES unit like a Paladin and kill him. Just make sure you kill him before he can switch to Aura as he'll not only be ablte to retalliate, but you will also not be able get his Aura tome (the Aura tome is A LOT better than the Purge).

Edited by Mariode