Weird Photoshop problem

Anacybele

So, I'm trying to do another comic for the series linked in my sig, and for some reason, the font tool in my Photoshop does not want to be consistent anymore. I'm trying to use the same settings I've been using, which are Arial font, narrow, no anti-aliasing for a pixelated effect, and size 14. But the font still doesn't look the same as in my previous comics, it looks a bit bigger. I checked the settings of both, and they're exactly the same, yet the font is now bigger when I try to use it. It also doesn't look as narrow.

So what could be going on with my font tool here now? I can't find any other settings to try changing. It's Photoshop CS3, by the way.

Edited by Anacybele

Never mind. That appears to be illustrator only behavior (i will admit that i have more experience with illustrator). Did you try looking in the character menu (which can be enabled from the window dropdown)? There are a LOT of detailed features there (most notably horizontal and vertical scale, as well as tracking, "false bold" and probably other things that i don't know about), which influence font size and could be set wrong. Also, did you try adding new text to your old document?

Edited by sirmola

Yeah, I tried adding new text to a previous comic and it matches the text in that comic. No changes made to any settings. This different-looking text only happens in my new document.

But the character menu? I'm not sure where to find that either, but I'll try.

Edited by Anacybele

The only thing that I can think of if the font looks 'bigger', could be the size of the new document. If the font looks bigger than how it is from your comics, then the new document size you're working on might be smaller.

Try doing this:

1. Make sure you have one of your comics opened up.

2. Make a new document.

3. Click on the drop down menu of 'Document Type', and you should see the file name of the comic you have opened up as one of the options to choose from. It should be somewhere near the bottom.

4. The new document you made will have the exact same size dimensions and colour properties as the comic you had opened.

I use this trick as an easy way of making a new document of a specific size that matches another document I made without going through the hassle of typing in everything manually.

Let me know how it works.

Edited by carefreejules

Actually, the new document is bigger... Not all of my comics have the same number of panels, so they're not all the same size. Some have more than the previous, some have fewer. The one I'm trying to work on has more than the one that came before it. Granted, the width is smaller (my comics are either three panels per row or four per row depending on how many there are in the comic in total), but the height is much bigger.

And the font has stayed the same in different size documents before. I've used this font in the previous four comics, and though all were four panels per row/the same width, their heights differed.

I can't just copy the dimensions of one of my other comics, there won't be enough room for every panel.

Edited by Anacybele

Is the font size that radically different or do you feel more comfortable having a consistent font size? I'm having a hard time imagining the same size font looking the same throughout different document sizes unless the document sizes aren't that different which in that case, the size if the font won't change much.

The other solution I can think of is changing the DPI to a higher value which should down scale the font. The higher the DPI (dots per inch), the more detail that you can achieve. The default for the DPI should be 72 or somewhere around that. I usually work in DPI of 300 but in your case, just upscaling to DPI 100 or higher to see whether you get the results you want or not.

Edited by carefreejules

It's not RADICALLY different, but it's big enough to where it no longer fits in the dialogue boxes. These are GBA style comics, so only a certain font size will work to keep it the same general size as the dialogue in the GBA FE games. I tried adjusting it a little, but it still doesn't look exactly the same as before.

Edited by Anacybele

Open a "good" file in PS and your"problematic" one.

Drag the text layer from your good file into your other one. The exact settings get carried in when you copy a layer from one file into another in this way. See how it looks like compared to the other one thats not looking right.

I can only see one file at a time though. Or at least, that's what appears to be the case. Is there a way I can look at both opened files at the same time?

Edited by Anacybele

I found a fix! I actually just needed to fool around with the font size a bit more and I found a match. I didn't go small enough before. For some reason, it's size 10.5 for this comic file instead of 14. Still don't understand the reason, but hey, at least the text looks the same again. I already had to change it once (I originally was able to use the actual GBA font until FEPlanet's tools quit working. They never fixed them as far as I know) and I would've hated to have to change again. It's just weird to look at repeatedly changing text styles.

Edited by Anacybele

Nice on the fix find!

I can only see one file at a time though. Or at least, that's what appears to be the case. Is there a way I can look at both opened files at the same time?

FWIW if you go to like, View->Cascade or Window->Cascade (IDK what the File menu looks like in CS3, just CS2 which is what I have), it'll open all your projectson the screen. Just move them around as though you had like, 4 instances of NotePad or MSPaint open on your Desktop).

No problem.

To elaborate a bit more on the topic, if you Click-Drag a layer from one project screen into another, all of its formatting (Opacity %s, Stroke, Masking, Overlay, etc) settings come with it. It's a quick and easy way to snag one or two elements from a project you like, and squeeze it into another :)