Disney entering another Golden Age?

Tactician Robin

With big hits as Frozen, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia, it's hard to not notice the recent spike in Disney movie popularity. Pixar, also, struck big with Inside Out as being a cult classic among fans. However, how long is this streak going to last? If it doesn't last, why? Let's discuss!

My personal opinion states that Disney eventually will hit a brick wall with their expectations for their movies getting higher and higher after each hit. Moana, personally, didn't strike me as much as Zootopia did, and they both came out in 2016. I actually have lower expectations for Frozen 2, which is indeed confirmed, since it will never live up to the original, no matter how hard they try. But, they could surprise the public.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Princess and the Frog, Tangled, and Moana. I like Frozen. Wreck-it Ralph and Zootopia are okay, and Big Hero 6 is uninteresting.

I think this is another Golden Age, but Disney's princess movies are the best anyway. Moana, Rapunzel, and Tiana are all such wonderful leads.

To be fair, the era has been around a while, and it's a question of how it'd end.

I also thought that Zootopia was better as a film overall, but it's not like what happened with Pocahontas after Lion King, as Moana is certainly not a film which did far worse critically and financially than the film before it. There's no film from Disney Animation this year, so no hints as to whether it'll be downhill for 2017 (2 for Pixar, but that's not the same).

Eh, I dunno. Of all the movies that have come out since Atlantis way back in 2001, I thought Lilo & Stitch and Brother Bear were only okay, and Wreck-It Ralph and Big Hero 6 were decent. I didn't like Treasure Planet or Chicken Little, and I hated Home on the Range, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt. The princess films (Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, Moana) were nothing special, I honestly think all four of them were overrated, and Winnie the Pooh was forgettable. Zootopia, however, was fantastic. But other than that...eh.

why do people like zootopia anyway there's not even any singing

it's just a movie that tries to tackle racism with animals but there are much better racism based movies. there are better buddy comedy movies alone

everyone knows it's not disney unless it's a musical smh. even the lion king had singing

why do people like zootopia anyway there's not even any singing

Because:

1. Good plot.

2. The main character is a bunny.

3. Sends good messages about coexisting with each other despite differences.

4. It has a bunny for the main character.

5. It has a bunch of entertaining easter eggs and references.

6. Did I mention the main character is a BUNNY?! (yes, I love Judy because she's a cute bunny and a badass bunny cop! I like bunnies!)

7. Oh yeah, also, there IS singing in the movie... Did you forget Gazelle?

Frozen is one of my favorite movies of all time and I'm looking forward to Frozen 2 (I just hope Elsa is not given any sort of love interest or confirmed sexuality. I feel like she should stay single for now or else it'll feel forced because of idiot fans begging for her to be lesbian or something and her sexuality not at all being hinted at in the first movie)

The Princess and the Frog is one of my all time favs too. I loved seeing a well-developed Disney prince in a princess movie for once! Naveen is AWESOME. And his relationship with Tiana is PERFECT. <3 They both teach each other something and bring something to one another's characters. Tiana teaches Naveen that hard work can get him success and Naveen shows Tiana that it's okay to take a break from work and have fun once in awhile. It's just SO well done.

I also liked Big Hero 6. Fun fact, I wound up seeing it by accident. I was trying to get a copy of The Lion King and I wound up with Big Hero 6 instead. I got a refund, but decided to watch it anyway and it was pretty cool.

The only part of Disney that's rather gone down hill for me is the Disney channel. They've managed to release enjoyable movies for me all the time.

Edited by Anacybele

I like Zootopia so much because never once in my entire life have I ever been able to actually connect with a fictional character like I have with those characters. I'm not kidding, I am 100% serious. That movie seriously hit me in a way I have never been hit before. In addition to that, the cast is just simply well-written, the dialogue is very witty and believable, and the plot is actually quite good and paced well (enjoyment of a plot is subjective, so I suppose I can't just state that factually, but...it's good). There's tons of references and easter eggs, and Bogo seriously has one of the best inside jokes of any Disney film ever ("Life isn't some cartoon musical where you sing a little song and your insipid dreams magically come true! So Let. It. Go.").

Oh yeah, I forgot about that joke, that was SO freaking clever. Not only does it kinda tease at Disney movies in general, but it also references the amazing Frozen song "Let it Go" lol

I like Zootopia so much because never once in my entire life have I ever been able to actually connect with a fictional character like I have with those characters. I'm not kidding, I am 100% serious. That movie seriously hit me in a way I have never been hit before. In addition to that, the cast is just simply well-written, the dialogue is very witty and believable, and the plot is actually quite good and paced well (enjoyment of a plot is subjective, so I suppose I can't just state that factually, but...it's good). There's tons of references and easter eggs, and Bogo seriously has one of the best inside jokes of any Disney film ever ("Life isn't some cartoon musical where you sing a little song and your insipid dreams magically come true! So Let. It. Go.").

except life is a musical where all your dreams come true, just ask golden globe winning movie la la land

I mean, if you're just going to troll, then at least realize that Zootopia also won its GG for best animated picture.

Incorrect, there is no trolling

If you actually knew my tastes, you'd know that I literally only care about musicals like Hamilton/Wicked/Comet/Falsettos/etc. My life is literally a musical, and statements like "life isn't a musical" upsets me personally since it marginalizes the arts and the effect they can have on others

Moana absolutely deserved the Globe. Cravalho and Johnson are excellent together, Lin-Manuel Miranda's songs are excellence, it's actually a diverse movie about POC instead of trying to make an animal allegory.

I believe that Disney movies should end with a happily ever after though. I know that people can be independent and not need love, but that's not as magical. Disney movies without true love will never have moments like the lanturns scene from Tangled. I do think that Elsa should have a love interest, male or female, though I'd like Elsa to be lesbian for diversity's sake.

Edited by Freyjadour

I've only seen Frozen from the most recent Disney movies.

It's the story of my life, the older blonde sister gets in trouble for the younger brown haired sister doing stupid stuff.

Well, by our posts, you should be able to infer that we care about more than just songs... And I'm someone that memorizes a lot of Disney songs because they tend to be so good.

EDIT: Strange, I felt that Elsa made more wrong decisions than Anna had...

Edited by Anacybele

If you actually knew my tastes, you'd know that I literally only care about musicals like Hamilton/Wicked/Comet/Falsettos/etc. My life is literally a musical, and statements like "life isn't a musical" upsets me personally since it marginalizes the arts and the effect they can have on others

if you're gonna say "i literally only care about x" don't start a conversation with "why do people like y anyway i don't like it because it doesn't have x"

not everyone has the same tastes as you. that is why.

Edited by unique

if you're gonna say "i literally only care about x" don't start a conversation with "why do people like y anyway i don't like it because it doesn't have x"

Yes, this 100%. Different tastes, yo.

true, but this isn't about taste, it's about marginalization of the arts

feel free to not like musicals, but their effect on pop culture cannot be ignored. just look as far back as singin' in the rain

Edited by Freyjadour

Moana absolutely deserved the Globe. Cravalho and Johnson are excellent together, Lin-Manuel Miranda's songs are excellence, it's actually a diverse movie about POC instead of trying to make an animal allegory.

Okay, but just note that the way you worded yourself sounded troll-ish, and things like "if you actually knew my tastes" only infer it further.

Well, by our posts, you should be able to infer that we care about more than just songs... And I'm someone that memorizes a lot of Disney songs because they tend to be so good.

And this. I have several Disney songs I listen to quite often (the entirety of the Hunchback of Notre Dame sountrack, Colors of the Wind, Try Everything, etc.). But that's not the only way to judge a Disney film.

Also this. Not everyone has the same tastes, and just because something isn't a musical doesn't mean it's no good or doesn't deserve an award it got.

EDIT: Strange, I felt that Elsa made more wrong decisions than Anna had...

Elsa runs away when she's outed as a frost mage and just wants to be alone, though abandoning her kingdom could be seen as a bad decision.

Anna first keeps jumping on snow pillars when Elsa tells her not to and gets a frost bolt to the face. She wants to elope with a guy she just met. She pulls off Elsa's glove and causes her magic to leak out. She leaves the kingdom in the hands of a hostile foreign national when she goes to get Elsa. She puts her feet up on Kristoph's sleigh.

Elsa runs away when she's outed as a frost mage and just wants to be alone, though abandoning her kingdom could be seen as a bad decision.

Anna first keeps jumping on snow pillars when Elsa tells her not to and gets a frost bolt to the face. She wants to elope with a guy she just met. She pulls off Elsa's glove and causes her magic to leak out. She leaves the kingdom in the hands of a hostile foreign national when she goes to get Elsa. She puts her feet up on Kristoph's sleigh.

Elsa was the one that kept firing ice in that case (I'm not talking about her palace going all wonky, she had trouble controlling that) and she didn't need to just shoot ice like that. And if Elsa hadn't kept shutting Anna out even after their parents died, Anna wouldn't have had to keep trying to get her to stop. Anna's memories of Elsa's powers had been erased, she had no understanding or knowledge of why Elsa was ignoring her. Anna didn't choose to pull that glove off Elsa's hand, that happened by complete accident. Elsa chose to keep ignoring her and that's what got her in trouble. It wasn't Anna's fault at all. And of course, there was also Elsa deciding to run away instead of listen to her sister. I can understand why Elsa would do what she did, but she didn't handle it well. She almost lost her sister because of her decisions. She had notable and exploited flaws and redeemed herself in the end and that's why I like her so much (well, other than her "Let it Go" song lol).

Anna deciding to get with a guy she just met and leave him in charge were bad choices, but they were the only bad ones that she made.

Edited by Anacybele

I believe that Disney movies should end with a happily ever after though. I know that people can be independent and not need love, but that's not as magical. Disney movies without true love will never have moments like the lanturns scene from Tangled. I do think that Elsa should have a love interest, male or female, though I'd like Elsa to be lesbian for diversity's sake.

But is asexuality/aromantic not included in the definition of diverse? That's kind of what I gathered from Elsa's ending from Frozen.

Elsa was the one that kept firing ice in that case (I'm not talking about her palace going all wonky, she had trouble controlling that) and she didn't need to just shoot ice like that. And if Elsa hadn't kept shutting Anna out even after their parents died, Anna wouldn't have had to keep trying to get her to stop. Anna's memories of Elsa's powers had been erased, she had no understanding or knowledge of why Elsa was ignoring her. Anna didn't choose to pull that glove off Elsa's hand, that happened by complete accident. Elsa chose to keep ignoring her and that's what got her in trouble. It wasn't Anna's fault at all. And of course, there was also Elsa deciding to run away instead of listen to her sister. I can understand why Elsa would do what she did, but she didn't handle it well. She almost lost her sister because of her decisions. She had notable and exploited flaws and redeemed herself in the end and that's why I like her so much (well, other than her "Let it Go" song lol).

Anna deciding to get with a guy she just met and leave him in charge were bad choices, but they were the only bad ones that she made.

The older blonde haired sister may just be shutting out the younger brown haired sister because she has a terrible secret that their parents don't approve of. The younger sister may be wanting to spend more time with the older sister because the parents have either died in a shipwreck or are largely absent due to going through a divorce, but sometimes, the older sister has to go away from home to give in and stop denying this secret to herself, and doesn't want her little sister asking stupid questions all the time.

So me and Elsa had a lot in common, just one of us had magical powers and one was a lesbian.

I give Anna a hard time, but I'm being somewhat facetious.

But is asexuality/aromantic not included in the definition of diverse? That's kind of what I gathered from Elsa's ending from Frozen.

Anna got "true love" at the end of Frozen; Elsa makes a good non-romantic representative for the Disney Princess crew, and Disney's track record for sequels makes me wary of what they try to do to Elsa.

Disney's sequels are hit-and-miss for me. Some are excellent (Lion King II, Lady and the Tramp II, Aladdin sequels), while some are just plain bad (Inspector Gadget 2, Pocahontas II (there is one good thing in this one and that's John Smith being a total badass, but it still sucks besides), Cinderella II (would've liked it more if it had just been Jaq and/or Anastasia's parts in one big story...)).

That being said, they have their work cut out for them in living up to Frozen's success. Hopefully they can do a repeat of the Aladdin trilogy which I still think is the best Disney trilogy to date.

Anna got "true love" at the end of Frozen; Elsa makes a good non-romantic representative for the Disney Princess crew, and Disney's track record for sequels makes me wary of what they try to do to Elsa.

I was kind of getting more at the point of asking why a lesbian would be diverse but an ace would not. Overall though same. But lately they seem to have been leaving the Disney Princess movies alone in terms of sequels which is good and a trend I hope continues.