Tellius RNG solved!

ruadath

It works the same for both FE9 and FE10, and in fact it's almost the same as the GBA RNG. A more detailed post may follow later (if I'm not too lazy), but here is the the tl;dr

• Calculation of the next RN is exactly the same as for GBA (bitshift+xors of the last 3 rns)
  • There are a total of 8 possible initial seeds from power on
  • The game then burns some "small number" (0~20 roughly) of RNs from this initial seed on the first frame

The cool thing here (in my opinion) is that the number of possible initial states from power on in only ~100 or so, which gives us a notion of reliability (in the same sense as for GBA arrow retracing) for both of these games.

This also means that TAS for both of these games are now possible, and the regular speedrun can probably be improved too via clock abuse manipulations (this latter claim is untested).

Oh please. We all know how the RNG works.

You will miss if...

- It's a 90% chance to hit or higher (BEWARE A 99%!)

- It's far into the level or already beaten with some mop-up work.

- It's a unit you REALLY liked.

- And your opponents counter-attack could kill you (see below).

Likewise, your enemy will hit you if...

- They have a ridiculously low chance to hit (1% may as well be 100%)

- It's late into the map.

- They're fighting a unit you really liked.

- Their hit either would be JUST enough to kill under the most ******** of circumstances especially including...

- Their hit would require a crit to kill and, oh, would you look at that! A Crit!

- They are attacking an especially high-value unit.

All effects are compounding. However, the RNG CAN be manipulated by...

- Having a unit who desperately needs a stat that they should be normally getting a lot of but just aren't. Using a stat-up item will then cause the RNG to favor that stat, often to the point of excluding other stats. This is especially likely if you're cash-strapped and had to blow it all on the item or had to go through hell to get it.

- Just spent a lot of time/money/BEXP/map-grinding (in other titles) to bring up a new unit to replace the current one. The current one will immediately get good combat-rolls and stat-ups.

- Sacrifice a lot of stuff/stats/units to increase to get better rolls.

However; be warned... If you do things to manipulate the RNG intentionally it WILL bite back and give you terrible rolls! There IS a solution to remedy this though. Give Anna all your money if possible (depends on the game of course) by buying something absurdly expensive that you wouldn't normally need if you weren't having such bad luck. Then you'll instantly get normal/good luck, but only so long as you don't do so solely as an attempt to remedy the problem (you have to both actually need the items and intend to use them for it to work).

I have come to worship the RNG. It has given me a lot of surprising good luck in games in 2016.

If someone could explain me FE10's A.I., I would really appreciate it, because it's the only one of the parts I've played yet I really don't understand.

I thought to see a pattern:

attacking unit who can be oneshotted / onerounded (shade can't cover it) > attacking unit who can't counterattack > attacking unit with provoke > attacking the most fragile unit who doesn't have shade

But so many expectations happened:

• In the prolog hurt Leonardo could be killed by a bandit, but he went for Micaiah who had lower defense but wasn't hurt.
  • In 1-6-2 the steel lance soldier close to your starting team attacked first my unequipped unit, Tauroneo. And in my second run (had to restart) he attacked my unit with the worst defense, Micaiah. In both runs I played the exact same.
Edited by Eleanor Hume

Well, they're both already available here

and here

But yeah I can now provide verification seeds with ease (if anyone actually cares about that). It also makes future RNG abuse even easier, so maybe I'll get back to that playthrough... (after wrapping up some current things, hopefully)

Edited by ruadath

• 1 month later...