FIRE EMBLEM WARRIORS

Captain Karnage

Also, TMS characters and dancers/bards would be fine and not "outclassed" at all. Look at Tingle, Marin, Ruto, Agitha, Fi, freaking Ravio and some others in HW and HW Legends. They work just fine.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the average roster number for a Dynasty Warriors game or other "Warriors" games? Just to get an idea f how many we are expecting. I know Hyrule had over 20 and most of the characters were not known for being experienced in combat (Agitha, Tingle etc).

What's the average roster number for a Dynasty Warriors game or other "Warriors" games? Just to get an idea f how many we are expecting. I know Hyrule had over 20 and most of the characters were not known for being experienced in combat (Agitha, Tingle etc).

Usually around 8-15 for a starting game. Even Hyrule Warriors only started out with 13 people before more were added through a free update (+3) and paid DLC (+3). Legends then added 5 more, followed by another round of 1 through a free update and 4 through paid DLC.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Hyrule Warriors started out with around 13 PCs and ended up having about 25, right? With Chrom, Xander, Ryoma, Corrin and Marth all being confirmed more or less, that leaves us with 8 for the base game and 20 after DLC, the former of which is pitiful to be honest.

So here's my predictions, assuming those are the numbers we will be getting:

Base game:

Anna, Azura, Lucina, Takumi, Camilla, Robin, Ike and Roy

DLC:

Lyn, Hector, Cordelia, Tharja, Gangrel, Walhart, Garon, Mikoto, Kaze, Jakob, Caeda and Tiki (I'd expect it to be adult Tiki, but it could go either way, really)

Now obviously this is pure speculation and I may or may not have a bias towards Anna (though I do believe her status as de facto series mascot gives her a good shot at making the roster), as well this only focusing on Shadow Dragon, Blazing Sword/Binding Blade, Awakening and Fates with Ike thrown in. Honestly, I think there are too many plot important characters to start out with just 13, and we've no idea how long this game's had in development so far (3 years at most, probably), so the devs could be pulling at all the stops here. Still, even a roster of 20 characters would seem pretty limited even just looking at Shadow Dragon, Awakening and Fates, since you can really only fit in Lords and Avatars, with a little wiggle room for a few plot important characters besides Anna.

You know, now we've begun to really dig into this, I'm kind of worried we'll be getting a limited roster.

DLC:

Lyn, Hector, Cordelia, Tharja, Gangrel, Walhart, Garon, Mikoto, Kaze, Jakob, Caeda and Tiki (I'd expect it to be adult Tiki, but it could go either way, really).

They wouldn't leave out the actual main character, Eliwood, whose Divine Weapon is basically a Buster Sword set on fire who also rides a horse.

@ Tiki: Shadow Dragon/loli Tiki is THE iconic Tiki and the Japanese would certainly push for that one. Also, her TMS Utaloid design is too good for them not to use it.

Edited by Lord-Zero

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Hyrule Warriors started out with around 13 PCs and ended up having about 25, right? With Chrom, Xander, Ryoma, Corrin and Marth all being confirmed more or less, that leaves us with 8 for the base game and 20 after DLC, the former of which is pitiful to be honest.

So here's my predictions, assuming those are the numbers we will be getting:

Base game:

DLC:

Lyn, Hector, Cordelia, Tharja, Gangrel, Walhart, Garon, Mikoto, Kaze, Jakob, Caeda and Tiki (I'd expect it to be adult Tiki, but it could go either way, really)

Now obviously this is pure speculation and I may or may not have a bias towards Anna (though I do believe her status as de facto series mascot gives her a good shot at making the roster), as well this only focusing on Shadow Dragon, Blazing Sword/Binding Blade, Awakening and Fates with Ike thrown in. Honestly, I think there are too many plot important characters to start out with just 13, and we've no idea how long this game's had in development so far (3 years at most, probably), so the devs could be pulling at all the stops here. Still, even a roster of 20 characters would seem pretty limited even just looking at Shadow Dragon, Awakening and Fates, since you can really only fit in Lords and Avatars, with a little wiggle room for a few plot important characters besides Anna.

You know, now we've begun to really dig into this, I'm kind of worried we'll be getting a limited roster.

... You're right, and also kinda wrong:

This is who appeared in the original Hyrule Warriors:

Link

Impa

Sheik

Lana

Zelda

Ganondorf

Agitha

Midna

Zant

Fi

Ghirahim

That's about 13. We also got three NPC officers who, while not playable, were made to be stronger than the regular enemy officers:

Cia

Volga

Wizzro

Then the free update hit, which gave us playable versions of the above three.

Then came the DLC packs which gave us three more:

Twili Midna

Young Link

Tingle

Alongside a playable Ganon and Cucco which were restricted to their own mode and has different movesets than the above 19.

Then Hyrule Warriors Legends were announced which gave us the above roster (minus Ganon and Cucco) at base + five more characters for a total of 24 characters (since I'm not counting Ganon and Cucco because of how different they play):

Linkle

Skull Kid

Toon Link

Tetra

King Daphnes

Followed by a free update adding Medli for a total of 25. Then more paid DLC characters came up through the Legends DLC packs:

Marin

Toon Zelda

Ravio

Yuga

That gave us the current roster of 29 (31 with Ganon and Cucco) characters, but note that if Hyrule Warriors Legends wasn't gonna be a thing, we probably wouldn't have seen the characters starting from Linkle and downwards, which would have left Wii U Hyrule Warriors at a roster total of 19 (or 21 if you think Ganon and Cucco counts).

So... some revisations:

Practically confirmed: Chrom

Practically shoe-ins: Corrin, Xander, Ryoma, Marth

Other characters I think will be playable at base: Robin, Lucina, Azura, Caeda, Tiki, one retainer each from Xander and Ryoma, one Jagen/Oifey character (either Jagen, Frederick, or Gunter), one of Corrin's servants (the one whose gender is opposite of Corrin's), one Awakening villain (leaning towards Gangrel or Walhart from Awakening)

NPC-turned-playable characters at some point (I'm only expecting some of them to get this treatment): Owain, Severa, Inigo (depends on who Xander's playable servant is), whichever Awakening villain wasn't playable in the base game, Grima (using possessed Robin), The Hoshido and Nohr siblings have an equal chance of being upgraded though it probably won't happen to all of them, Garon, Catria, Gharnef, Camus, Hardin

DLC Characters: Roy, Ike, Anna

NPC Characters: Validar, Aversa, Medeus

Keep in mind that apparently the mainline Dynasty Warriors games can have upwards of 50 characters, so it's possible this game might call for a larger roster too.

Dynasty Warriors 8 has over 80 characters with zero clones; however, what needs to be kept in mind is that it was built up over many entries and expansions.

Looking at Hyrule Warriors and DW Gundam, I'm thinking a base of around 20 at launch is realistic.

Yeah, meant to specify that I was collecting the two rosters together. Surprised you didn't mention Tharja though, since she is one of the more popular Awakening characters.

EDIT: Something else to consider is that it is very, very unlikely this will get a 3DS port, so if DLC happens, we could get more than there was in Hyrule Warriors since there wouldn't be development on two disparate systems.

Edited by InfinityAlex

Keep in mind that apparently the mainline Dynasty Warriors games can have upwards of 50 characters, so it's possible this game might call for a larger roster too.

Correct. The digital only Samurai Warriors 4-II has 64 Characters (no DLC chars). Pretty sure SW5 will have even more on that note. The DW games give you a handful to start but you unlock everyone else as you play as each faction.

FE:W will have at least 50 to boot.

Just keep in mind, while yes, Dynasty and Samurai Warriors have large rosters currently, all the other crossover musou games also start with small rosters. I think the Berserk game had only 9 characters in it. I think the biggest recent one was Arslan, which had a little over 20. Due to the nature of Fire Emblem, we'll probably see a higher number, but I doubt we'll hit 50.

EDIT: Something else to consider is that it is very, very unlikely this will get a 3DS port, so if DLC happens, we could get more than there was in Hyrule Warriors since there wouldn't be development on two disparate systems.

I'm curious as to what makes you think this, as a 3DS version is one of my most hoped for announcements. Seeing how well they were able to port HW to the 3DS considering, I think they could do a pretty decent job.

I get that they want to market a new system, but I'm not entirely convinced the Switch is going to completely replace the 3DS, and certainly not this soon. It's really hard to ignore the 3DS install base, especially considering that the last two FE gamese were 3DS, and before that, DS - all your current FE fans are invested in a 3DS.

Mosou games are also synonymous with DLC, so that install base shouldnt be ignored. The switch version will always be prettier, for those who care so much, and will likely be seen as the difinitive version anyway.

The 3DS is almost 6 years old now. In terms of console life cycles, that's pretty old. I'm really not sure how much more the capabilities can be pushed. In regards to Hyrule Warriors Legends, that game was neutered considerably and wasn't even playable in 3D on the 3DS (New 3DS may be different, idk) and, correct me if I'm wrong, it ran at 30fps.

Additionally, let's take a look at other Wii U games making their way to the 3DS right now; Super Mario Maker, Yoshi's Woolly World and...OK, so that may be it, but still: These games are being ported over because the Wii U has been a commercial failure and is unable to give these games the audiences they deserve.

On the other hand, Nintendo expects the Switch to make major bank (something I think it's very capable of due to its local multiplayer and handheld functionality). Fire Emblem Warriors is going to be a game release very early into the Switch's life, so it's very unlikely Nintendo will bother taking the time to downgrade for an audience that will likely migrate to the Switch once it comes out. Hell, for Fire Emblem fans, this is a REASON to pick up the Switch.

The 3DS is almost 6 years old now. In terms of console life cycles, that's pretty old. I'm really not sure how much more the capabilities can be pushed. In regards to Hyrule Warriors Legends, that game was neutered considerably and wasn't even playable in 3D on the 3DS (New 3DS may be different, idk) and, correct me if I'm wrong, it ran at 30fps.

Additionally, let's take a look at other Wii U games making their way to the 3DS right now; Super Mario Maker, Yoshi's Woolly World and...OK, so that may be it, but still: These games are being ported over because the Wii U has been a commercial failure and is unable to give these games the audiences they deserve.

On the other hand, Nintendo expects the Switch to make major bank (something I think it's very capable of due to its local multiplayer and handheld functionality). Fire Emblem Warriors is going to be a game release very early into the Switch's life, so it's very unlikely Nintendo will bother taking the time to downgrade for an audience that will likely migrate to the Switch once it comes out. Hell, for Fire Emblem fans, this is a REASON to pick up the Switch.

On the other hand, the performance frame-by-frame on the N3DS is actually on-par, and possibly even better than the Wii U version which may suffer occasional drops in the frame-rate, especially if you went for Co-Op.

Also, I'm not sure if Switch is going to be Nintendo's definitive handheld console for this generation, but we'll see. More likely, we'll end at something around Hyrule Warriors for Wii U's first roster, then get an expansion which adds more characters and stuff, or a sequel.

I understand the argument, but install bases of past consoles has largely dictated multiple releases, especially in the beginning of a new consoles life cycle.

Biggest thing I can think of off the top of my head was Black/White 2, which were released for the DS instead of the 3DS, besides the fact that, you know, Pokemon would have DEFINITELY helped the 3DS at that point in time.

Also, Hyrule warriors is pretty great on the N3ds, and I say that having played both the 3DS and Wii U versions. No reason that FE Warriors wouldn't be just as fun (if not more, with having a map on the bottom screen and being able to touch switch warriors) on the 3DS. I ended up preferring the 3DS version because of that.

I imagine considering it's Fire Emblem they will go with a larger cast than Hyrule Warriors due to there being a lot more character potential.

And I will be completely ok as long as Zelgius/Black Knight is playable. That is all I really want.

I expect around 20 characters at launch with each character only having one moveset.

Hyrule Warriors had less characters at launch, but multiple characters had more than one actual moveset, meaning that they technically count as more than one character.

I'm curious as to what makes you think this, as a 3DS version is one of my most hoped for announcements. Seeing how well they were able to port HW to the 3DS considering, I think they could do a pretty decent job.

I get that they want to market a new system, but I'm not entirely convinced the Switch is going to completely replace the 3DS, and certainly not this soon. It's really hard to ignore the 3DS install base, especially considering that the last two FE gamese were 3DS, and before that, DS - all your current FE fans are invested in a 3DS.

Mosou games are also synonymous with DLC, so that install base shouldnt be ignored. The switch version will always be prettier, for those who care so much, and will likely be seen as the difinitive version anyway.

Hyrule Warriors needed the New 3DS to even be playable and even then it was quite the downgrade specs wise.

Fire Emblem Warriors will likely be even stronger than Hyrule Warriors was, making the idea of a 3DS version even more of a downgrade.

Hyrule Warriors needed the New 3DS to even be playable and even then it was quite the downgrade specs wise.

Fire Emblem Warriors will likely be even stronger than Hyrule Warriors was, making the idea of a 3DS version even more of a downgrade.

But it did run fine on the N3DS. The debate can be made that it should have been N3DS exclusive, but it's definitely very playable.

Having played both versions (Wii U, 3DS), the 3DS version was a lot more fun because of being able to tap warriors, my fairy, etc. Even at 30FPS it was pretty solid compared to a lot of the slowdown on the Wii U. Other than the Wii U being prettier (and I found it gorgeous), the N3DS is the version I actually like to play. The best part is being able to play a match without having to wait ages for the Wii U to boot up - these games are perfect in short 15-20 minute bursts.

And the Switch version will have better graphics, but I can't imagine that the core engine will be any more demanding, making a 3DS port very possible.

Obviously the switch version is going to be there, and can be the "definitive" version with more content. I just don't think it's that far-fetched to throw the install base a bone. Hyrule Warriors was great, but not a system seller, and Emblem Warriors is going to be less popular than that was. We still live in a world where Zelda is a lot more popular than FE, so if it's not exclusive to the switch it's not going to kill the system.