FIRE EMBLEM WARRIORS

Captain Karnage

Obviously the switch version is going to be there, and can be the "definitive" version with more content. I just don't think it's that far-fetched to throw the install base a bone. Hyrule Warriors was great, but not a system seller, and Emblem Warriors is going to be less popular than that was. We still live in a world where Zelda is a lot more popular than FE, so if it's not exclusive to the switch it's not going to kill the system.

Alright, but think of it like this. Nintendo's bringing out a new system which, after the commercial failure of the Wii U, needs to shift all the units it can. With this in mind, why would Nintendo put time, money and resources into making a downgrade for what could be a very successful game just to support the install base of an older system, giving them a reason not to invest in the Switch? From a business standpoint it doesn't make any sense. The reason it happened with the Wii U (and also Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World) is because Nintendo knew that putting them on 3DS would have jack squat effect on Wii U sales; That console had more or less shifted all the units it would and Nintendo wanted to use the 3DS install base to make up for the numbers the Wii U just wasn't producing. The Switch, on the other hand, is a new, not even launched console which Nintendo obviously has a lot of faith in. They'll want to be persuading 3DS owners to upgrade to Switch. The last thing they want to do is cannibalise the Switch.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They wanted to persuade DS owners to buy a 3DS.

Black/White 2 didn't even come to the 3DS.

Console launches have always had games made for both the new and old platforms. As much as they want to push the switch, a hard drop of the old hardware is awful, even worse than losing the 10 pepole who won't buy a switch because Emblem Warriors was also on the 3DS.

Believe it or not, there are those of us who aren't getting the switch regardless

They can sell the game to people like us, or they won't.

Nintendo has recently said the switch isn't going to replace the 3DS and you don't hard stop on 50+ million customers.

Nintendo is trying to get people to buy Switch's. They're not going to be porting native Switch games to the 3DS which is being phased out.

I think if people want to maintain their sanity over the next year, we have to work under a few assumptions.

1. The roster is going to be no more than 20 characters in the base game like other Warriors projects
  2. Characters chosen for the game will be from Mystery of the Emblem, Awakening, and Fates; excluding any possible DLC
  3. This is going to be a Switch exclusive

They wanted to persuade DS owners to buy a 3DS.

Black/White 2 didn't even come to the 3DS.

Console launches have always had games made for both the new and old platforms. As much as they want to push the switch, a hard drop of the old hardware is awful, even worse than losing the 10 pepole who won't buy a switch because Emblem Warriors was also on the 3DS.

Believe it or not, there are those of us who aren't getting the switch regardless

They can sell the game to people like us, or they won't.

Nintendo has recently said the switch isn't going to replace the 3DS and you don't hard stop on 50+ million customers.

Except those games were made for DS in the first place using an engine which was also made for DS back before the 3DS released.

What you're suggesting is Nintendo releasing a game on 3DS which is being made for Switch using an engine being made for Switch.

Nintendo did not release a single first party game on both the DS and 3DS. That's the parallel.

Edited by InfinityAlex

Koei Tecmo makes these games, not nintendo. If it's financially viable to do so, they will, as their obective is to sell the game. They get no direct advantage from selling switches or Wii U's, just Emblem Warriors.

If the Wii U was super successful, HW would have not likely gotten a port - it would have been less needed, financially, by Koei. In the beginning to the Switch, even if it sells 10 million in the first year, still doesn't have the install base to make a game a guarantee for success.

Not saying that the game is definitely coming to the 3DS or even incredibly likely, but saying it's definitely impossible is a little shortsighted, if you ask me.

Koei Tecmo makes these games, not nintendo. If it's financially viable to do so, they will, as their obective is to sell the game. They get no direct advantage from selling switches or Wii U's, just Emblem Warriors.

If the Wii U was super successful, HW would have not likely gotten a port - it would have been less needed, financially, by Koei. In the beginning to the Switch, even if it sells 10 million in the first year, still doesn't have the install base to make a game a guarantee for success.

Not saying that the game is definitely coming to the 3DS or even incredibly likely, but saying it's definitely impossible is a little shortsighted, if you ask me.

Yes, I know KT makes the games, but they're outsourced by Nintendo to do so (i.e., it's Nintendo's money and resources going into this). If Nintendo doesn't want to happen (which is what I'm saying here since it isn't in their best interests when trying to promote a new system), then it won't happen.

Edited by InfinityAlex

On the topic of joke characters, I can see Felicia being one, with a "clumsy" playstyle.

RIP my ears if they keep the Japanese voices like in Hyrule Warriors...though they didn't actually speak, I suppose.

I still vote for Oliver as a joke character though. Imagine all the flashy, beautiful moves he could unleash.

May i bring up a topic about possible storylines?

Hyrule warriors had one singular story with only 1 branching path that lead to the same results. so im thinking, what if they follow they warriors orochi style of picking a story to play?

if we go by just the 3 base games at first, we could have a story based in fates, awakening, and probably shadow dragon, and with the idea of a crossover, have characters that normally dont appear there show up as ether enemies or allies... that way if you picked the awakening universe, you could encounter more fates or other game characters instead of just awakening only characters.

what do you guys think they would do for a story mode?

I would hope to visit more FE worlds than just Fates, Awakening, and Shadow Dragon's... Hell, only one of those three even has a real name for the damn continent. :/

It'd be easier if Tellius and maybe one more were thrown in as well.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I would hope to visit more FE worlds than just Fates, Awakening, and Shadow Dragon's... Hell, only one of those three even has a real name for the damn continent. :/

It'd be easier if Tellius and maybe one more were thrown in as well.

i mostly just said those because i feel for sure they would be worlds in there. but if we also have path of radiance then we have more access to beast characters, which would be pretty neat if that world made it as a story selection.

I'm kinda hoping for a story like HW, where we have something that's definitely the main story divided up into different arcs alongside possible side stories mking up their own little mini-campaign.

While It may seem like I am hoping for too much, considering Hyrule Warriors, a game on the Wii U and 3DS, had about 31 playable characters (Including the Cucko and Big GAnon man), I would say FEW will have perhaps 35/40 at most. However, I agree with most people that the game will probably have like 9 playable heros at the start and like 4 playable villains, but the DLC will probably make the game bigger than HW. I am super hyped for the direct, hope they reveal a character from each game just so us fans can at least know every game will get representation. 

lets not forget that while hyrule warriors characters were a bit limited, we still have alot of various play styles because some characters used alot of different weapons. i think that will translate here to having more characters instead.

1 hour ago, Thany said:

lets not forget that while hyrule warriors characters were a bit limited, we still have alot of various play styles because some characters used alot of different weapons. i think that will translate here to having more characters instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a little bit of that here too. Though I doubt they'll pile as many movesets onto one character as they did with Link.

personally if the HP isnt the same like heart containers. there wouldnt be a use for an adventure mode like zelda, so a stratagy side mode, where if the allies you bring to the battle dies and is unavailable for that whole mode, could be used instead. for those fans of the stratagy element of fire emblem that is.

34 minutes ago, Thany said:

personally if the HP isnt the same like heart containers. there wouldnt be a use for an adventure mode like zelda, so a stratagy side mode, where if the allies you bring to the battle dies and is unavailable for that whole mode, could be used instead. for those fans of the stratagy element of fire emblem that is.

Personally, I think I'd want something like this:

Map Skirmish Mode:

Goal: Go through 20-25 "Chapters" of maps. Pick a team of playable characters that you've unlocked, up to the maximum, and try to complete the goal of the chapter. Your characters are represented by blue-colored sprites on a top-down map, unique to each chapter, and you often have to rout the enemies or kill the boss of a map, represented by enemy sprites. You take turns moving your units, after which the enemy make their turn. When you engage an enemy or the enemy engages you, you start a scenario which differs depending on the enemy, though the boss is always a playable character or unique NPC who starts an army-vs-army scenario with that character as the enemy commander. If you win a scenario, some of the enemy units of the same type as the enemy unit you clashed with are wiped out (including the one whom you initiated the scenario with/initiated the scenario with you). If you lose a scenario, the unit you used will be unawailable for the rest of the chapter until you complete the goal or all of your units are wiped out in which case you have to retry the chapter. Upon completing the Final Chapter (which is always a "kill the boss" chapter), you "clear" the campaign. Some playable characters not unlocked in the main story could appear as enemy units in certain chapters, and engaging and winning their scenario unlocks them for use elsewhere. Each Chapter has a max limit on the number of characters you can deploy, and any chapter that's been completed can be replayed as many times as possible. You can achieve scores and ranks for each chapter depending on certain requirements.

One variant of this is the Endurance Campaign Mode, unlocked after clearing the Final Chapter. You pick up to 5 characters (with the first one beind esignated as your "Lord") and have to complete every chapter only using those units initially. You can save your progress in this mode after each cleared chapter. Any playable character that you didn't choose at the beginning can appear as enemy units (as long as they are not the boss of thechapter), where beating their scenarios will allow you to recruit them to your team and bolster your forces. As with the above, each Chapter has a max limit of how many units you may deploy, and if your deployed units (or your Lord) are all wiped out, you have to retry the chapter. You start from the first chapter, then go on to the subsequent chapters in order, ending with the Final Chapter. Also, any deployed unit that is not the unit designated as your Lord, whom is defeated in a scenario, will be unplayable for that Endurance Campaign onwards and you will need to start a new one in order to use that character again. You are ranked according to well you did during the entire campaign.

Edited by Folt

32 minutes ago, Folt said:

Personally, I think I'd want something like this:

Map Skirmish Mode:

Goal: Go through 20-25 "Chapters" of maps. Pick a team of playable characters that you've unlocked, up to the maximum, and try to complete the goal of the chapter. Your characters are represented by blue-colored sprites on a top-down map, unique to each chapter, and you often have to rout the enemies or kill the boss of a map, represented by enemy sprites. You take turns moving your units, after which the enemy make their turn. When you engage an enemy or the enemy engages you, you start a scenario which differs depending on the enemy, though the boss is always a playable character or unique NPC who starts an army-vs-army scenario with that character as the enemy commander. If you win a scenario, some of the enemy units of the same type as the enemy unit you clashed with are wiped out (including the one whom you initiated the scenario with/initiated the scenario with you). If you lose a scenario, the unit you used will be unawailable for the rest of the chapter until you complete the goal or all of your units are wiped out in which case you have to retry the chapter. Upon completing the Final Chapter (which is always a "kill the boss" chapter), you "clear" the campaign. Some playable characters not unlocked in the main story could appear as enemy units in certain chapters, and engaging and winning their scenario unlocks them for use elsewhere. Each Chapter has a max limit on the number of characters you can deploy, and any chapter that's been completed can be replayed as many times as possible. You can achieve scores and ranks for each chapter depending on certain requirements.

One variant of this is the Endurance Campaign Mode, unlocked after clearing the Final Chapter. You pick up to 5 characters (with the first one beind esignated as your "Lord") and have to complete every chapter only using those units initially. You can save your progress in this mode after each cleared chapter. Any playable character that you didn't choose at the beginning can appear as enemy units (as long as they are not the boss of thechapter), where beating their scenarios will allow you to recruit them to your team and bolster your forces. As with the above, each Chapter has a max limit of how many units you may deploy, and if your deployed units (or your Lord) are all wiped out, you have to retry the chapter. You start from the first chapter, then go on to the subsequent chapters in order, ending with the Final Chapter. Also, any deployed unit that is not the unit designated as your Lord, whom is defeated in a scenario, will be unplayable for that Endurance Campaign onwards and you will need to start a new one in order to use that character again. You are ranked according to well you did during the entire campaign.

Your idea for a skirmish mode sounds pretty fun and neat, just a few tweaks here and there and i could see this as an actual mode in the game. i hope my hopes up for something like this.