If the castle shop sold DLC items, what would be a fair price?

Alastor15243

One of the things I tend to resent about the bonus DLC classes and skills that aren't available in the main game is that a lot of them are really fun to use, but I can never find a way to use them in stricter runs, the kinds of runs that ban DLC and freebies, without it feeling like I'm cheating at those challenges I've set for myself. Because the way they're set up, they're either free things that just automatically make the game easier with no effort, or they're obtained by doing something that's not quite hard enough to justify the reward.

One idea I had at one point was that maybe if I could get a generally agreed upon fair set of prices for DLC items, as well as a point in the game past which they're fair game (say a certain shop level, or just that a unit can't use them until after they've promoted or hit level 21), I could use these things in my challenge runs guilt-free, getting the added fun of wider class variety without feeling I've undermined the difficulty of the game.

Say, for example, it was determined that a dread scroll was worth 5,000 gold. I would buy 10,000 gold worth of bronze swords and then sell them back for 5,000, leaving me with 5,000 less, and now I can take one of the dread scrolls you get for free and give it to one of my promoted units.

Under that ruleset, how much would you price each of the special class changing items at before you'd be willing to say using them is fair basically under all but the absolute strictest challenge runs?

Edited by Alastor15243

I'd go for 12,000G minimum for each special class item; minimum price is the same as the price of 1 Eternal Seal. This makes it so that those who bought the DLC wouldn't feel like they wasted their RL money when they can potentially save time and effort grinding for them and makes them look more like luxury items in Conquest route. Similarly, they can also be in limited quantities even with a lv. 3 staves/rods store.

For skill manuals, it'll depend on the skill itself. Warp and Aether would undoubtedly be just as expensive as an Eternal Seal, if not more so since you're not grinding through the Witch and Vanguard/Great Lord classes respectively. Similarly, the Stat-taker skills would likely be expensive since the effect can become huge and have no level requirements. Point Blank would also be expensive given how powerful bows/yumi are in Fates.

Bold Stance, Armor Shield, Beast Shield, and Wing Shield would probably be expensive but not so much as the Warp, Aether, Stat-takers, and Point Blank manuals since they're much more situational. Bold Stance can be seen as a side-grade of Fates' pair-up system by making guard stance into an RNG-less version of Awakening's pair-up, complete with the inability to passively block enemy Dual Strikes (since enemy Dual Strikes never existed in Awakening to begin with).

Veteran's Intuition and Heavy Blade would probably be the least expensive out of the skill manuals, given that they're normally learned when a Vanguard is considered a basic class according to level.

Master Emblem item... I'd say 99,999G if not max cash.

Edited by Roflolxp54

2000 gold each but you can only use them if you have access to their non-DLC equivalent, and it's used as a promotion.

Dread fighters must be a ninja and be at level 20

Witch must be a dark mage and level 20

Ballistican must be an apothecary (or maybe archer?) and level 20

Dark flier must be a sky knight when they are at level 20

Vanguard must be a mercenary level 20

etc...

I'd go for 12,000G minimum for each special class item; minimum price is the same as the price of 1 Eternal Seal. This makes it so that those who bought the DLC wouldn't feel like they wasted their RL money when they can potentially save time and effort grinding for them and makes them look more like luxury items in Conquest route. Similarly, they can also be in limited quantities even with a lv. 3 staves/rods store.

For skill manuals, it'll depend on the skill itself. Warp and Aether would undoubtedly be just as expensive as an Eternal Seal, if not more so since you're not grinding through the Witch and Vanguard/Great Lord classes respectively. Similarly, the Stat-taker skills would likely be expensive since the effect can become huge and have no level requirements. Point Blank would also be expensive given how powerful bows/yumi are in Fates.

Bold Stance, Armor Shield, Beast Shield, and Wing Shield would probably be expensive but not so much as the Warp, Aether, Stat-takers, and Point Blank manuals since they're much more situational. Bold Stance can be seen as a side-grade of Fates' pair-up system by making guard stance into an RNG-less version of Awakening's pair-up, complete with the inability to passively block enemy Dual Strikes (since enemy Dual Strikes never existed in Awakening to begin with).

Veteran's Intuition and Heavy Blade would probably be the least expensive out of the skill manuals, given that they're normally learned when a Vanguard is considered a basic class according to level.

Master Emblem item... I'd say 99,999G if not max cash.

12,000 seems a little steep for the class change items, not sure, but at that price at least I could be confident I'm not cheating the game for what I'm exchanging. But I still think it could be a little lower...

...But honestly if it turns out that Lunatic's leveling system makes eternal seals less viable than on hard then my normal saving habits would leave me with crazy amounts of money to spend anyway.

And I don't see how the Master Emblem should be that expensive given it's basically just a reusable rainbow tonic. It's awesome, to be sure, but not so awesome that spending more money than Conquest even gives you would ever be worth it.