Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Rex Glacies

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got the game recently. It reminds me of a little known RPG for the 3DS called "Fantasy Life," which is both good and bad, as it is very fun, but addictive.

I have no idea where it takes place in the timeline though. Probably late in the downfall timeline, but I don't know where the Rito and Koroks came from, let alone why the Rito and Zora both exist at the same time.

6 hours ago, Dai said:

It's been confirmed apparently to be the last in the Child Timeline, though I'd need to recall where that source was.

Makes no sense. It has Koroks and Rito who are from TWW which is the adult timeline and references from ALttP which is in a third different timeline (the timeline in which OoT Link was defeated). I think it should be the last in the timeline period, that brings all the splits together. It's the only way it makes sense due to the references being from all over the place.

Edited by Anacybele

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Makes no sense. It has Koroks and Rito who are from TWW which is the adult timeline and references from ALttP which is in a third different timeline (the timeline in which OoT Link was defeated). I think it should be the last in the timeline period, that brings all the splits together. It's the only way it makes sense due to the references being from all over the place.

But how would fusing timelines work? Its easy to imagine the world evolving differently depending on the actions of OOT Link but its hard to see how post apocalyptic wind waker's world could be combined with that from the regular Hyrules. Even without the floods its implied WW's Hyrule was quite a bit more advanced then the others.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

6 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

But how would fusing timelines work? Its easy to imagine the world evolving differently depending on the actions of OOT Link but its hard to see how post apocalyptic wind waker's world could be combined with that from the regular Hyrules. Even without the floods its implied WW's Hyrule was quite a bit more advanced then the others.

How would this game NOT fusing the timelines work? Besides, there can be instances where different events eventually lead to the same outcome.

This is generally agreed to be the confirmation it is child:

Zelda: Whether skyward bound, adrift in time, or steeped in the glowing embers of twilight, the sacred blade is forever bound to the soul of the hero.

She specifically mentions Twilight Princess in Memory #1.  If it was adult, she'd talk about The Wind Waker instead, and if downfall she'd refer to A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds.

Also fwiw fusing the timelines (or retroactively deleting any of them) would feel like a bigger cop-out to me than creating the Downfall line to begin with.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

It still doesn't explain the Koroks, Rito, or other TWW and ALttP references. Hell, we also saw references to ALBW.

But then again, the timeline never made complete sense to me to begin with. Figures that this wouldn't either.

Edited by Anacybele

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

It still doesn't explain the Koroks, Rito, or other TWW and ALttP references. Hell, we also saw references to ALBW.

But then again, the timeline never made complete sense to me to begin with. Figures that this wouldn't either.

The Koroks can simply be an alternate form of the Kokiri.  There's nothing really stopping the change from happening in the other two timelines.  What's more, the Koroks in BotW, despite reusing the designs from TWW's group aside from Makar's, are pretty much outright stated to be different individuals from them since they're named differently and multiple Koroks can use one design now.  

The Rito in BotW are completely different from the ones in TWW (for starters, they don't need magic scales to fly, and have a completely different culture and design).  And again, nothing stopping a different population of Zora from becoming the Rito in the Child or Downfall lines, even though Zora are in the game.  Darwin's finches, and all that.

As for the location names, I'm pretty sure they don't really mean much of anything and are simply call backs.  The vast majority of them are just names on the map, anyway.

6 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

The Koroks can simply be an alternate form of the Kokiri.  There's nothing really stopping the change from happening in the other two timelines.  What's more, the Koroks in BotW, despite reusing the designs from TWW's group aside from Makar's, are pretty much outright stated to be different individuals from them since they're named differently and multiple Koroks can use one design now.  

The Rito in BotW are completely different from the ones in TWW (for starters, they don't need magic scales to fly, and have a completely different culture and design).  And again, nothing stopping a different population of Zora from becoming the Rito in the Child or Downfall lines, even though Zora are in the game.  Darwin's finches, and all that.

As for the location names, I'm pretty sure they don't really mean much of anything and are simply call backs.  The vast majority of them are just names on the map, anyway.

The Rito I'll give you, but the Koroks specifically became what they are because of the flood. There's no such flood in BotW, so what reason would they have had to become Koroks this time?

The timeline never made sense to me and still doesn't, okay?

Edited by Anacybele

15 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The Rito I'll give you, but the Koroks specifically became what they are because of the flood. There's no such flood in BotW, so what reason would they have had to become Koroks this time?

The timeline never made sense to me and still doesn't, okay?

There's no flood but there's still some form of apocalypse in the form of calamity ganon. Maybe that caused the changed form of the Kokiri.

Indeed, the timeline never made much sense and I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to not even take the timeline in acount when writing the story. I don't think they care as much about it as some fans do. 

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

It's not really explained, but it's quite clear that no such flood happened in BotW's history.  This is clearly Old Hyrule (given none of the landmarks come from Spirit Tracks, the Spirits of Good are never mentioned, the world doesn't revolve around steam technology nor are there references to that ever being the case, etc.) The only way it could be Adult without contradicting Daphnes's wish in the ending of The Wind Waker to see Hyrule washed away is the whole Ganondorf's wish thing, which is well, obviously not the case, considering Ganondorf would have the Triforce then when he clearly doesn't.

There's also Aonuma specifically stating in an interview that, plotwise, the game has nothing to do with The Wind Waker at all, so yeah.

For the Downfall timeline, Hyrule was pretty clearly flourishing pre-Calamity.  Which, at the end of the Downfall timeline, it... wasn't.  The first two games are specifically referred to as the Era of Decline, where basically everything gradually deteriorated (rather than suddenly, as in BotW).

1 minute ago, Glaceon Mage said:

It's not really explained, but it's quite clear that no such flood happened in BotW's history.

This is kind of my point... If there had been some other explanation for the Koroks being the Koroks in BotW, I'd be less confused here.

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

There's no flood but there's still some form of apocalypse in the form of calamity ganon. Maybe that caused the changed form of the Kokiri.

Indeed, the timeline never made much sense and I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to not even take the timeline in acount when writing the story. I don't think they care as much about it as some fans do. 

Yeah, that's what it feels like, doesn't it? That the devs don't care as much about the timeline as we do.

I've always understood the timeline, though I've always been interested in the lore and histories of video games. And as much as the "fusing" timeline sounds cool, it wouldn't make sense. In TWW, Ganon was destroyed- along with Hyrule itself. And they were destroyed using the Triforce, so there's no way they can come back. Of course, this could be a completely new Ganon, but I'm not far enough in the game to know that.

Hide contents

My main question is when did Calamity Ganon first appear? I mean, it was 10,000 years ago, but that's a long time. Its not like he rose at the end of one of the timelines, waited 10,000 years, then came back. He has to have originally appeared in between some of the games in one of the timelines, but when? And what about the Divine Beasts? Where do they fit in?

Mind you, I haven't beaten the game yet, let alone finished one of the dungeons, so this might be explained later.

2 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

I've always understood the timeline, though I've always been interested in the lore and histories of video games. And as much as the "fusing" timeline sounds cool, it wouldn't make sense. In TWW, Ganon was destroyed- along with Hyrule itself. And they were destroyed using the Triforce, so there's no way they can come back. Of course, this could be a completely new Ganon, but I'm not far enough in the game to know that.

Reveal hidden contents

My main question is when did Calamity Ganon first appear? I mean, it was 10,000 years ago, but that's a long time. Its not like he rose at the end of one of the timelines, waited 10,000 years, then came back. He has to have originally appeared in between some of the games in one of the timelines, but when? And what about the Divine Beasts? Where do they fit in?

Mind you, I haven't beaten the game yet, let alone finished one of the dungeons, so this might be explained later.

I imagine it's the Ganon from FSA... since the OoT/TP one is, well, a bit too dead for that.  

And yeah, there are plotholes in the timeline but by now I mostly understand it.

Mostly.

It's quite obvious that nintendo doesn't care about the time line. There are zelda games that are clearly related to each other, but they don't think "well since i'm adding this element to the new zelda game, it has to be on that timeline branch", they just think stuff like "i want this game to have that another game as its backstory", and then you're able to make the timeline from the relative positions of the games. The existence of koroks or ritos has nothing to do with this game's timeline position, nintendo just added them because they thought it would be cool and fit the worldbuilding. This whole situation is actually why the third timeline exists. Nintendo ended up creating so many games that took place after and made direct references to OoT and that also contradicted each other, that they had to make another split in the timeline in order for it to make some sense.

I don't think they have said anything about the position of the game in the timeline so far, though. I really don't see it being a part of the adult timeline. I guess I can see it being in the child timeline, but my personal belief is that it's in the downfall timeline, maybe even after Zelda 2, on the last spot of that timeline.

Either way, it's not like any of this matters. The timeline is just a fun little piece of trivia that doesn't change anything, and no, nintendo doesn't take the timeline in consideration while making a game. They make it however they want and then, after its finished, try to fit it in the timeline. Which is how it should be.

Edited by Nobody

So apparently, Majora's Mask was retconed as a dream of Skull Kid, and the Oracles games and Link's Awakening have  switched places. Freaking. GG.
Nintendo, stop drinking, it's bad or your health. And ours.
Well, at least, Link is confirmed to not be dead after LA, I guess ? I never liked that ending for him. It was a really anticlimatic way to finish his life.

The problem with things like that, is that when materials say things like that like that, and worse, say that they are canon... well, you can't really argue, other than saying 'It doesn't make any sense' or flat our ignores it. Everyone is at an impasse.
Hylia (started disliking Zelda from there) apparenlty always existed, despite never appearing or being mentioned in any game that are supposedly after Skyward Sword. Or her having created the Master Sword, despite being explicetly said to have been forged by the sages.
And no, them handwaving it by saying it was a misunderstanding or something doesn't make it seems good or even legit.

We see the difference between Dark Souls and Zelda there. :p

On 22/03/2017 at 1:09 PM, Glaceon Mage said:

This is generally agreed to be the confirmation it is child:

Reveal hidden contents

She specifically mentions Twilight Princess in Memory #1.  If it was adult, she'd talk about The Wind Waker instead, and if downfall she'd refer to A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds.

Also fwiw fusing the timelines (or retroactively deleting any of them) would feel like a bigger cop-out to me than creating the Downfall line to begin with.

It could be also just a shout out. Especially since how the heck are they supposed to know about the twilight ? I thought the whole crisis was was supposed to be secret ?

Y'know, in gamefaqs, I've seen lot of people wanting.a DLC where Link go back in time before Calamity Ganon did his things and must stop him in a restricted time. Majora's Mask style.
Frankly if DLC there must be, this is the minimum. Plus it would be so awesome, passing it up would be a crime.
Unless they do something better, in that case, I'll put money computer. :p

26 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

So apparently, Majora's Mask was retconed as a dream of Skull Kid, and the Oracles games and Link's Awakening have  switched places. Freaking. GG.
Well, at least, Link is confirmed to not be dead after LA, I guess ? I never liked that ending for him. It was a really anticlimatic way to finish his life.

The problem with things like that, is that when materials say things like that like that, and worse, say that they are canon... well, you can't really argue, other than saying 'It doesn't make any sense' or flat our ignores it. Everyone is at an impasse.
Hylia (started disliking Zelda from there) apparenlty always existed, despite never appearing or being mentioned in any game that are supposedly after Skyward Sword. Or her having created the Master Sword, despite being explicetly said to have been forged by the sages.
And no, them handwaving it by saying it was a misunderstanding or something doesn't make it seems good or even legit.

We see the difference between Dark Souls and Zelda there. :p

It could be also just a shout out. Especially since how the heck are they supposed to know about the twilight ? I thought the whole crisis was was supposed to be secret ?

Y'know, in gamefaqs, I've seen lot of people wanting.a DLC where Link go back in time before Calamity Ganon did his things and must stop him in a restricted time. Majora's Mask style.
Frankly if DLC there must be, this is the minimum. Plus it would be so awesome, passing it up would be a crime.
Unless they do something better, in that case, I'll put money computer. :p

The Zelda from TP, while generally kinda irrelevant with her only notable actions being sacrificing herself for Midna and firing Light Arrows at Ganondorf, WAS aware of what happened, being present for the ending, one of only two light dwellers not turned into spirits (the other being Link), and giving up her life for Midna.  Seems logical enough that her direct descendant would know a bit about the exploits of the Link from TP and Midna, even if it's just the royal line for a while.

The point is, it's specifically Twilight Princess mentioned there, not "sailing the sea" (The Wind Waker) or "uniting worlds" (A Link Between Worlds).

Hm, you're right. I agree. Still, it feels weird to see that someone knows about it since Breath of the Wild might happens 10 000 years after... Four sword I think ? The game after TP. That's a lot of years.
Then again, Hylia, so.

Also, Zelda from TP was cool.

Edited by B.Leu

13 hours ago, B.Leu said:

So apparently, Majora's Mask was retconed as a dream of Skull Kid ... Freaking. GG.

Where did you read that? The entire weight of Majora's Mask's story was how real the threat was to the world. Nintendo, don't you dare pull some "It was all a dream" BS on one of your best worlds and stories. What's next, a Mario game where the whole thing is a theater play?

TP's awesome... but it is so, so linear.

16 hours ago, Zera said:

Where did you read that? The entire weight of Majora's Mask's story was how real the threat was to the world. Nintendo, don't you dare pull some "It was all a dream" BS on one of your best worlds and stories. What's next, a Mario game where the whole thing is a theater play?

One of the two last books who where out one/two months ago   Art and artifact or the Hyrule Encyclopedia.
I'm almost certainly sure that I got the names wrong.

It being canon is debatable because it was not written by Aonuma & co like Hyrule Historia.
Cuz you know, the timeline of Hyrule Historia is sooooooo perfect. /obvious sarcasm :o

16 hours ago, Zera said:

What's next, a Mario game where the whole thing is a theater play?

Uh, isn't this actually what SMB3 was?

Also, "best world and story" is subjective and opinion. I personally think MM has an awful story and world. I didn't enjoy any of Termina's locations or dungeons save for Ikana Canyon has. And the story, while interestingly dark, was just too creepy at times for my tastes, and sometimes it just bored me.

TP's alright, nice enough game. Not real high on my favorite list though. My top five are Skyward Sword, The Minish Cap, Four Swords Adventures, and I guess BotW or A Link to the Past.

Edited by Anacybele

So...has anyone met Hino at the Deuling Peaks Stable? The guy researching the Blood Moon researcher. I saw him on the blood moon...he went INSANE.

4 hours ago, Dai said:

So...has anyone met Hino at the Deuling Peaks Stable? The guy researching the Blood Moon researcher. I saw him on the blood moon...he went INSANE.

I've met him, though not during a Blood Moon. I'll have to remember to visit him then.

I just reached Akala, and even though I'm not far in it, it's one of my favorite areas. I love autumn, so the trees being autumn colored makes it amazing. And the tower! That was difficult, but fun. Screw the guardians, every one of them. I arrived at the tower during a thunderstorm, so that increased the epicness.

Hide contents

Fighting through the ruins of a castle, stealthily killing the Bokoblins, all while avoiding the poisonous blight and lightning strikes- it was just an awesome setting to me.

Also, what's up with Faron being a rain forest? I went there expecting to find the Master Sword, but was greeted by a thunder dragon and overgrown ruins.

Not complaining, mind you. It's just strange to see a jungle in Zelda. Cool, but strange.