Freedom Planet 2: The long awaited infodump

Jedi

For those of you unaware of Freedom Planet, I did a little bit of a run of it awhile back

But for those of you unwilling to watch (hey its a lets play no foul if you aren't), its basically a huge tribute to old school Sonic, Gunstar Heroes and various Sega Saturn games while retaining its own feel and design, the sequel was announced to be coming out this year, and we finally have some gameplay.

And some more via the 3rd character Milla

Edited by Jedi
Titlechange and thread bump

I didn't know the Milla video was out, so thanks for the info.

Man, I didn't expect Milla to be so dramatically different. There is a lot to absorb in that video. They really saved the best for last.

Carol's disc also seems like a really good addition. Some parts of Freedom Planet were significantly harder for her due to her lack of an additional jump. I didn't see her Wild Kick though. I suppose it's just as well if it's gone since it basically had the same properties as her basic attacks, except for the invincibility.

Also, they have announced that they will release a demo version at the end of this month, so that's something to look forward to.

Edited by BrightBow

This is looking very good. I just hope they make the bosses less "frustrating trial-and-error" and more "fun and challenging" this time (i.e. I hope they played Star Successor and learned how to make great bosses). If every boss can be about as good as Robo Panther from the last game, we could have a bona fide 9/10 on our hands.

On 1/15/2017 at 0:49 PM, Zera said:

This is looking very good. I just hope they make the bosses less "frustrating trial-and-error" and more "fun and challenging" this time (i.e. I hope they played Star Successor and learned how to make great bosses). If every boss can be about as good as Robo Panther from the last game, we could have a bona fide 9/10 on our hands.

Which bosses were Trial and Error? The majority of them were really simple, and easy to figure out.

On 1/15/2017 at 1:08 PM, CountessGardy said:

Freedom Planet has a sequel?

Yep it was announced last year. 

On 1/15/2017 at 1:26 PM, Emeraldfox said:

Oh neat, Freedom Planet 2.

I like what they did with Milla.

She took some lessons from Chun Li and is a lot more mobile haha. I wonder if she still talks to inanimate objects.

Edited by Jedi

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

She took some lessons from Chun Li and is a lot more mobile haha. I wonder if she still talks to inanimate objects.

It's what made her an Oscar worthy character after all

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

Which bosses were Trial and Error? The majority of them were really simple, and easy to figure out.

TBH, I don't remember which bosses I disliked the most, only that they started getting annoying after (including) Spade on Sky Battalion. If I replay FP I'll give you the details.

2 minutes ago, Zera said:

TBH, I don't remember which bosses I disliked the most, only that they started getting annoying after (including) Spade on Sky Battalion. If I replay FP I'll give you the details.

I'm legit curious, like the only boss I recall really annoying me in any sense was the 2nd fight with Prince Dali.

I'd say the giant dragon from Pangu Lagoon is pretty bad. Easily my least favorite boss in the game by a mile.

All of it's attacks are extremely easy to dodge by simply running fast, except for his giant laser which requires you to Dragon Dash through it.

Easy attacks wouldn't be so bad if you could at least focus on taking it down fast. But you can't do that because the boss is only vulnerable when it flies past you, so there is a hard separation between it's "attacking phase" and it's "vulnerability phase".

Also, in order to damage it, you have to destroy the scales on it's back as he flies past you. But his quick speed and erratic flying pattern makes this mostly a crapshoot, so the amount of damage you can deal before you have to sit through another round of it's "attacking phase" varies greatly.

The good news is that you are not required to destroy every single one of it's scales, just most of them, before you can go for the eye and finish the boss. Still, that guy is not much fun to deal with.

Okay, I didn't see that one coming.

I considered the possibility that the multicolored lines at the end of the trailers might represent the different playable characters but I couldn't line them up properly with the existing characters, so I dismissed the idea of a fourth character. Maybe the red line is actually supposed to represent Carol (her bandana) and the green line is Mila (the Murder Cubes) instead of green being Carol.

Hopefully it won't take long until the demo is released. Today the demo is supposed to premier on PAX and the final character got revealed, so I suppose starting with today it could come out at any time.

Edited by BrightBow

46 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Okay, I didn't see that one coming.

I considered the possibility that the multicolored lines at the end of the trailers might represent the different playable characters but I couldn't line them up properly with the existing characters, so I dismissed the idea of a fourth character. Maybe the red line is actually supposed to represent Carol (her bandana) and the green line is Mila (the Murder Cubes) instead of green being Carol.

Hopefully it won't take long until the demo is released. Today the demo is supposed to premier on PAX and the final character got revealed, so I suppose starting with today it could come out at any time.

Hopefully I can manage to record the Demo to show it off! I'm so excited.

So the demo is announced for tomorrow the 31th.

I was hoping it wouldn't be the very end of the month but it's nice to know that the demo will indeed be available very soon. No words on the distribution method, though.

Edited by BrightBow

On 1/29/2017 at 10:22 PM, BrightBow said:

So the demo is announced for tomorrow the 31th.

I was hoping it wouldn't be the very end of the month but it's nice to know that the demo will indeed be available very soon. No words on the distribution method, though.

Thanks for posting this, I'll keep my eyes out for the distribution.

Well, the demo is finally out now. At least for Windows. The Linux and Mac versions are delayed since they still have issues.

http://freedomplanet2.com/demo_win.php

Edit:

And I think it's worth mentioning that the demo will be updated over the course of this month:

Edited by BrightBow

Btw, since it's easily missable I would like to confirm that there is at least one gas tank in this stage for Carol. So Carol's bike is indeed usable in this demo.

Also, Carol can now pocket her bike. Using the disk command while on the bike will make her throw the bike instead, and it will be in her "inventory" from there on out. There will be a wheel symbol next to her lifebar to show that she still has it.

In order to use the bike again, throw the disk and then chase after it by using the "block" button. It took me a bit to figure that one out.

Edited by BrightBow

This thread literally reminded me this game exists. Well that's a good thing since Freedom Planet is one of my favorite platformers so I guess I'll have to give this demo a try! Also really happy Neera is going playable cause she was a pretty fun boss and dem cryo-powers are neat.

8 hours ago, Zera said:

After watching your demo video, I feel like
https://youtu.be/HA1mbZ_MMh8?t=16

Glad I could help convince you! Haha 

8 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Btw, since it's easily missable I would like to confirm that there is at least one gas tank in this stage for Carol. So Carol's bike is indeed usable in this demo.

Also, Carol can now pocket her bike. Using the disk command while on the bike will make her throw the bike instead, and it will be in her "inventory" from there on out. There will be a wheel symbol next to her lifebar to show that she still has it.

In order to use the bike again, throw the disk and then chase after it by using the "block" button. It took me a bit to figure that one out.

Yeah there is one, funny enough I found it with everyone then missed it with Carol lmao, and thanks for the helpful tip. 

7 hours ago, PeaceRibbon said:

This thread literally reminded me this game exists. Well that's a good thing since Freedom Planet is one of my favorite platformers so I guess I'll have to give this demo a try! Also really happy Neera is going playable cause she was a pretty fun boss and dem cryo-powers are neat.

Better get on that demo! Hype hype. 

• 2 weeks later...

Btw, they didn't write about this one twitter but the demo version has been updated several times since it's release. There is a changelog over on their forum: http://www.galaxytrail.com/forum/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

For the most part the changes seem to be merely bugfixes, or at least nothing too spectacular that I feel is worth mentioning here. But I am really glad that they changed those annoying spinning enemies. They are no longer invulnerable while spinning. I doubt they will ever become anyone's favorite Freedom Planet enemy but they are definitely a lot less of a pain now.

Also, Freedom Planet 2 is on Steam Greenlight now: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=861154312

And I suppose shouldn't forget to point out that the Mac version of the demo is out by now.

Edited by BrightBow