I need some information on FE4 editing

OliKad

Hello everyone! I need some clarification on Nightmare editing:

In the Holy Character Editor, it seems that the attributable skills to bosses are ordered in 3 sets, and that you must choose only one skill in each set. here are those in question:

1- Wrath, Pursuit, Adept, Charisma, Awareness, Prayer
2- Critical, Vantage, Duel, Astra, Luna, Sol, Darkness Sword
3- Life, Paragon, Bargain

(Screenshot is in the attached files)

Is there any workaround to make so that I have multiple skills of the same ''set''?

Also, is it possible to make so that weapons have skills other than the ones editable in FE4Edit? Or to give class skills other than the ones giveable in FE4Edit? (list is in attached files once again)

Thank you :)

FE4 NOTES.txt

Skills1.tiff

Yeah, it's actually pretty simple. The seemingly "blank" skills are actually multiple skills from the same dropdown menu. So for instance, in the "skills 1" dropdown menu 0x03 is both Wrath and Pursuit.

EDIT: only ready half of your post. You can use the "Class Skill Editor" to make other skills class skills (there are unused pointers that you can assign them too, (like 0x2000 i'm pretty sure is unused, but it's not hard to check yourself). You can also replace other class skills like Charisma (since only princess has it) with another skill. Similarly there's an "Item skill table editor" that works the same but is for weapons.

Edited by General Horace

Yeah, it's actually pretty simple. The seemingly "blank" skills are actually multiple skills from the same dropdown menu. So for instance, in the "skills 1" dropdown menu 0x03 is both Wrath and Pursuit.

EDIT: only ready half of your post. You can use the "Class Skill Editor" to make other skills class skills (there are unused pointers that you can assign them too, (like 0x2000 i'm pretty sure is unused, but it's not hard to check yourself). You can also replace other class skills like Charisma (since only princess has it) with another skill. Similarly there's an "Item skill table editor" that works the same but is for weapons.

Thank you, but I'd really appreciate if you could link me to a list of what pointers corresponds to which skill(s). Could you do that for me?

It tells you right in the editor when you open it in nightmare:

a790ab005d21f5092ae8a7da9a6691d9.png

(note this rom may or may not be edited, it's a testrom i'm using for a project of my own)

I don't recomment using FE4Edit either, it has a tendency to break things.

Also if you change skills on weapons it's probably a good idea to change it's name too (the new patch and edited roms don't get along well though, so I recommend using the old translation):

Obviously if you wanna change the Thief sword to the elite sword or something, you could just set the steal ability back to 0x00 and swap elite to 0x01 to make things easy.

5fa62d34151be4392388f2a44556c737.png

"Killer" sword is a killing edge.

Edited by General Horace

Heh, he's not THAT great for a Master Knight

Thanks, but I wanted the list for editing playable characters and boss skills :P
Also, I've had no problems with FE4Edit so far, not even the glitch with Gerrard's Steel Axe...

I'm a bit confused what you're asking. If you open the 1st gen character editor (or the holy character editor) they're all in a dropdown menu:

f14b9ed9679ce5d90bc4a0f5fb2a7442.png

for example: If you want wrath and continue you'd use 0x05 (wrath is 0x01, continue is 0x04 as listed in the dropdown menu). If you add the skills value's together (01+04=05) you get the skill combination. If you wanted Continue (0x04) Charisma (0x10) and Awareness (0x40) you'd use 0x54 to attain this. Make sure you use a hex calculator though.

If you're only in the prologue I doubt FE4Edit and bungled things up yet, but it has a tendency to overwrite important stuff and break the game if you continue using it. I'd recommend sticking to nightmare and hex editing only (if you know how to do so), nightmare can do everything it can anyway as far as I'm aware + more, other than some possible eventing (which is pretty much in use at your own risk territory). Or at least backup your work a lot. From what it sounds like you're doing though, nightmare seems both easier and more convenient.

Edited by General Horace

I'm a bit confused what you're asking. If you open the 1st gen character editor (or the holy character editor) they're all in a dropdown menu:

f14b9ed9679ce5d90bc4a0f5fb2a7442.png

for example: If you want wrath and continue you'd use 0x05 (wrath is 0x01, continue is 0x04 as listed in the dropdown menu). If you add the skills value's together (01+04=05) you get the skill combination. If you wanted Continue (0x04) Charisma (0x10) and Awareness (0x40) you'd use 0x54 to attain this. Make sure you use a hex calculator though.

If you're only in the prologue I doubt FE4Edit and bungled things up yet, but it has a tendency to overwrite important stuff and break the game if you continue using it. I'd recommend sticking to nightmare and hex editing only (if you know how to do so), nightmare can do everything it can anyway as far as I'm aware + more, other than some possible eventing (which is pretty much in use at your own risk territory). Or at least backup your work a lot. From what it sounds like you're doing though, nightmare seems both easier and more convenient.

Perfect! Thank you for your help and patience, I really appreciate it! ^^

But I like its interface though... When I did a half-full project for it (a balance patch for Gen 1), I had no gamebreaking issues...

As long as you keep backups and are ok with it, whatever floats your boat, the interface is pretty nice. I just haven't had the same luck unfourtuantely. If you have any other questions I can probably answer them in the future.