FE Gaiden's story connections with FE1?

CappnRob

I never played Gaiden (I really should sometime though), but I know it's tangentially connected to the Akaneia Saga in some ways, such as Camus appearing as "Zeke" and I think the Falcion shows up too? Can someone familiar with FE2 give me the rundown exactly on how it fits into the FE1/3 plot?

Well, the only thing I can connect is that all three Pegasus sisters from FE1 (Catria, Palla and Est) are playable in Gaiden as well, and they are just as great - if not better - than in their original game.

You really should give Gaiden a shot though :)

Canonically, Gaiden takes place between Books 1 and 2 as mentioned. From memory, there aren't a lot of connections, other than the Pegasus sisters and Zeke.

There is a Falchion in Gaiden, but it's not the same one from Marth's games. (Likewise, there's a Gradivus in Gaiden too.)

In New Mystery of the Emblem, there are a few more references to Gaiden in the Pegasus sisters' base conversations, so their travel to Valentia are considered canon.

Exactly, besides Zeke, the pegasus sisters and the Falchion/Gradius there is no other connection to FE1. The game takes place in the continent of Valencia, and the only mention of Akaneia is made by Palla. There is no mention to Marth, Mediuth, Naga or anything plot-relevant to FE1. FE2 takes place after FE1 and before FE3 Book 2.

Gaiden is great and it is much more enjoyable than FE1, I think you should give it a chance.

6 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Wasn't there one guy who was from Khadein and may have been friends with Merric in this game? He was also a mage, if I remember.

I don't think so, the only male unpromoted mages are Ryuto and Boey, and I don't remember them mentioning anything about Khadein.

Are you sure you are not thinking about Ellerean from FE3?

Nah, I found out the guy's name. It's Luthier. Well, he's not exactly from Akaneia. 

His ending suggests he went to another continent to improve his magic skills.

In the FE1 manga, he appears in Khadein along with Merric. At least that is what the wiki says.

1 hour ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Nah, I found out the guy's name. It's Luthier. Well, he's not exactly from Akaneia. 

His ending suggests he went to another continent to improve his magic skills.

In the FE1 manga, he appears in Khadein along with Merric. At least that is what the wiki says.

Oh, I didn't know about the manga, I should check it out.

I may have played a different translation, but I remember he felt his magic was inadequated and dropped the practice altogether. I'm going to check it out right now.

EDIT: From the Artemis' translation: "Feeling inept in his magic, he left to a distant land." I guess I didn't understand that he left to improve his skills.

Edited by geraq

53 minutes ago, punk emblem said:

So if Gaiden is canon, why are there two identical Falchions in this universe? :MarcusOld:

It's a separate blade, made from a different fang. And it's also referred to as Falchion, though I'm pretty sure Mila offered her fang for this one.

I'm also pretty sure the design for each does differ.

I thought on it a bit, I think Marth might make a flashback cameo with him being mid battle when you-know-who recounts/attempts to recount how he ended up You-Know-Where, but maybe not

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems