Forum Upgrade Details

Jyosua

Heard the forums got an upgrade, so decided to check it out. It, um... Well, it's certainly missing a number of things that made SF what it was, so I hope those end up getting fixed quickly and smoothly. :)

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the spoiler closing tags in BBCode are being read properly (unless the syntax changed?), which makes the whole re-submit thing not work when multiple spoiler tags are in the same post, as it will infinitely nest them (if there's a way around this, please let me know. Otherwise, guess I'd better get manually editing). That is,

test

test 2

test 3

comes out as

test

test 2

test 3

Edited by Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi
Nested spoilers hiding my final statement.

Two things:

1. Aren't previous warnings that a user incurred supposed to be hidden in your profile? Because on my profile, it shows a warning I had gotten years ago.

2. Is there something wrong with the image display? My "about me" section has 4 images that don't show up when I'm on my laptop, but I can see those same 4 images just fine on mobile.

3 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Two things:

1. Aren't previous warnings that a user incurred supposed to be hidden in your profile? Because on my profile, it shows a warning I had gotten years ago.

2. Is there something wrong with the image display? My "about me" section has 4 images that don't show up when I'm on my laptop, but I can see those same 4 images just fine on mobile.

1. You can't see other's warnings, and others can't see yours

2. Hotlinking, probably? I can't see yours either.

4 minutes ago, Elieson said:

1. You can't see other's warnings, and others can't see yours

2. Hotlinking, probably? I can't see yours either.

1. Fair enough, but in this case, it's a warning I incurred years ago. Weren't warnings not displayed on the profile before the upgrade (without clicking your warning points, at least)?

2. Hmmmm.... That might be it, but that doesn't explain why I can see those images (which were displaying as if nothing was wrong before the upgrade - for me at least) just fine when I'm browsing SF on my iPhone.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

2 hours ago, Quintessence said:

So far I've had trouble browsing a thread to next/other page (s). The thread refreshes but doesn't display the page, unless it is slow and I'm impatient. Anyways, I just refresh the page and it displays accordingly without issues.

Same here. On Firefox, BTW.

Ok, I like the new upgrade, but why is the Sig is completely removed and also, I just checked the Members badge doesn't showed up on our stuff excpet Jyoshua and I did saw it was still shown in Edit Profile option? (and also, can you fix the name for Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE in the Favorite FE and Members Badge to "Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE", I did seen that the Japanese name is still shown and it wasn't been changed for a while after Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE was out.)

And plus, I did tried to go to press the numbers or next on the threads that it took so long to loading it up and it doesn't work properly and then, I tested it out on the Forum Section and pressed which number to go to for one of the threads, it makes the thread page looks normal.

TMS FE.png

Loading while pressing one of the number buttons in threads.png

587ecb361a515_TMSFE.thumb.png.e72c62b7f5638ef9bc9bf1818a5f38c7.png

587ecb4eed620_Loadingwhilepressingoneofthenumberbuttonsinthreads.thumb.png.dd55a24a86951ed72439c1d78d34a8d7.png

Edited by King Marth 64

6 hours ago, Tangerine said:

Click your name in the top right, go to Account Settings > Notification Settings and see if any of the options there fix your issue. One of the settings is for notifying you when content you follow is updated, so unless it's bugged that sounds like what you're looking for.

I tried this but it didn't seem to work, it's still all just email.

6 hours ago, Jyosua said:

Our spoiler tags were actually always a custom edit to IPB's BBCode parser. Since they have rewritten this function and editor entirely, they have removed the ability to add custom BBCode types. I'm not particularly happy about that either, but the big reason for this forum upgrade is security. Eventually IPB3 will not be supported at all anymore. For a site as big as ours, that's unacceptable for security. Unfortunately, IPS4 is still one of the best forum softwares around and is also the best way of preserving our previous data.

All I can say about the loses and changes are: I'm sorry. I'm definitely dedicated to fixing as many problems are within my power, such as bad data migration, but feature functionality is not something I can change easily.

I haven't fully tested, but it definitely seems to accept CSS. I am not sure about javascript. If there is ever an injection bug in the HTML parser, you could potentially get javascript to execute regardless, so there is still a risk in any situation.

I may be wrong, but I think the HTML source editor allowing CSS happens even without enabling the editor directly. By editing the source with the DOM inspector, I can create things like this with no problems.

Similar to old Skype wizardry, entering your own HTML works for a huge variety of post hacks. Dangerous CSS gets filtered. I assume the same rules apply too your HTML editor.

Hey all. I believe I've fixed inline notifications. Give them a try; let me know what happens. I set every member's notifications to inline right now, because we wound up sending 10,000 emails due to the incorrect default settings. If you want e-mails for stuff, be you'll need to set them manually and be aware that e-mails have been stopped until tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Eleanor Hume said:

Also scrolling / clicking on pages still doesn't work (for me).

I don't even know if someone answered me because I can't click back to page 1+2.

Same I can't follow any other threads and possible replies to me.

This is not nice at all!

Yes you can. Just click the page you want to go to and then refresh.

12 hours ago, Makaze said:
  • Non-rounded avatars that are at least 100x100 (currently they are forced to 90x90)

8 hours ago, Jyosua said:

I'll look into it a bit later.

To save you some time with this, I've found that the cause is located in these classes of the CSS; the border radius:

.ipsUserPhoto_tiny img, img.ipsUserPhoto_tiny, .ipsUserPhoto_tiny:after{width:34px;height:34px;border-radius:17px;}

.ipsUserPhoto_mini img, img.ipsUserPhoto_mini, .ipsUserPhoto_mini:after{width:44px;height:44px;border-radius:22px;}

.ipsUserPhoto_small img, img.ipsUserPhoto_small, .ipsUserPhoto_small:after{width:54px;height:54px;border-radius:27px;}

.ipsUserPhoto_medium img, img.ipsUserPhoto_medium, .ipsUserPhoto_medium:after{width:75px;height:75px;border-radius:38px;}

.ipsUserPhoto_large img, img.ipsUserPhoto_large, .ipsUserPhoto_large:after{width:90px;height:90px;border-radius:45px;}

.ipsUserPhoto img{width:34px;height:34px;border-radius:17px;}

You can also fix the size of the avatars here too obviously.

Edited by Booton

I actually just started looking into this. I can't believe there's not a damn setting for this. There has to be. This is asinine.

6 minutes ago, Jyosua said:

Nah, I found a setting. We good.

Looking good! What about setting a max-width, so that avatars aren't automatically stretched to fill the space? That's probably just a nitpick though.

When in doubt, CSS hacks save your life.

This is very true!

Edited by Booton

7 minutes ago, Booton said:

Looking good! What about setting a max-width, so that avatars aren't automatically stretched to fill the space? That's probably just a nitpick though.

This is very true!

I agree with Booton, and would add, that avatars are stored as their true size, or at least pretty big (250x250?), meaning you can safely add max-width: 150px; max-height: 150px; and it should behave like it did before the update (smaller avatars stay the same while larger ones can fill the space).

I'm not making CSS edits to the skins until everything else is in place and we have a couple different color schemas.